Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Moose-Alini posted:

I wanna know this too. Havnt found one easily.

you guys want YouTubed, I think it's in the BigBoss repo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I totally lost my Verizon cell network last night. Don't know if it's jailbreak related or not. Haven't made any big changes or downloaded any new tweaks recently. Just seeing if anyone else is having the same issue. I've resprung and rebooted, only thing left to try is a restore in iTunes. I'm still on 8.1.1 so I guess it'd be a decent time to go to 8.1.2 as well.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Try popping out the sim and reseating it.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mr Hands Colon posted:

you guys want YouTubed, I think it's in the BigBoss repo.

Tried that and youtuber neither of which seem to work on 8.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

gently caress :(

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
What setting was it in? Regular? Restore mode? DFU mode?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

MickRaider posted:

What setting was it in? Regular? Restore mode? DFU mode?

DFU. Right now when I turn it on it just gives me a "Plug this into iTunes" screen. When I plug into iTunes it tries to restore and gives me that. Tried multiple computers and all the Googling I could muster. Unless one of you has a miracle cure, I'm headed to Verizon in the morning.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Hopefully someone here can help because Reddit was fairly useless in its reply.

On both ASUpdatehider and ReachApp I get 'There was an error loading the preference bundle for XXX' in the settings. ReachApp still works but for ASUpdatehider, the 1 app I don't want to update is now showing in the AppStore!

I've tried deleting and reinstalling both apps but no dice. iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2 if it makes any difference.

Anything good goons?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Hamburlgar posted:

Hopefully someone here can help because Reddit was fairly useless in its reply.

On both ASUpdatehider and ReachApp I get 'There was an error loading the preference bundle for XXX' in the settings. ReachApp still works but for ASUpdatehider, the 1 app I don't want to update is now showing in the AppStore!

I've tried deleting and reinstalling both apps but no dice. iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2 if it makes any difference.

Anything good goons?

In my experience that error generally means it's incompatible with your iOS. I just installed asupdatehider 1.2-2 on 8.1, and while I don't get an error, the tweak doesn't seem to do anything either. Won't hide history, won't let me slide and hide.

Im about to update to 8.1.2 and re jailbreak though!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Oh gently caress Apple is pushing 8.1.3 already!? Poop!

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Oh gently caress Apple is pushing 8.1.3 already!? Poop!

iOS 8.1.2 is still being signed according to https://ipsw.me/all Download and Shift+Click Restore A.S.A.P. if you want to jailbreak your iPhone.
8.1.3 patches TaiG unfortunately according to /r/jailbreak.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
So when I upgrade to 8.1.3, it will wipe my jailbreak right? I'm okay with that. Do I have to restore before I update? My JB won't be like taking up phantom space on my storage right?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

So when I upgrade to 8.1.3, it will wipe my jailbreak right? I'm okay with that. Do I have to restore before I update? My JB won't be like taking up phantom space on my storage right?

If you want to remove your jailbreak it's best to Restore to 8.1.3 through iTunes; do not choose the upgrade option (through OTA or iTunes). Of course, YMMV with this. Some people choose to upgrade to the latest firmware (instead of restore) and have no issues and are jailbreak free. Others upgrade and it's a disaster.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Poala Bear posted:

iOS 8.1.2 is still being signed according to https://ipsw.me/all Download and Shift+Click Restore A.S.A.P. if you want to jailbreak your iPhone.
8.1.3 patches TaiG unfortunately according to /r/jailbreak.

Thanks downloading em for my iPhone and iPad r'now. Haven't done this Ipsw stuff since 4.x so less confident than usual...

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Thanks downloading em for my iPhone and iPad r'now. Haven't done this Ipsw stuff since 4.x so less confident than usual...

It's not too bad. From that website you can download iOS 8.1.2 for whatever device you own. Open up iTunes, (back up prior to continuing as a safe measure of course) and when viewing your device, hold the Shift key as you click the "Restore" button. From there, you'll get a pop up window to navigate to whichever directory you saved the downloaded ipsw at. Pretty self explanatory from there.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

The Dave posted:

Are there any good resources for Groovylock themes? I almost want to start my own site hosting them it's so frustrating.

Though the designs I've seen so far, woof.

Groovylock seems amazing when it works, but half the time my lock screen is just totally blank. Even when I turn it on and off it doesn't come back, it just decides to come back on its own randomly during the day.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Poala Bear posted:

It's not too bad. From that website you can download iOS 8.1.2 for whatever device you own. Open up iTunes, (back up prior to continuing as a safe measure of course) and when viewing your device, hold the Shift key as you click the "Restore" button. From there, you'll get a pop up window to navigate to whichever directory you saved the downloaded ipsw at. Pretty self explanatory from there.

That was probably the smoothest update and jailbreak I ever done. Taig is pretty slick, did two phones and an iPad in 45 minutes, and probably the first time I didn't have to restore any of them.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Sunblood posted:

DFU. Right now when I turn it on it just gives me a "Plug this into iTunes" screen. When I plug into iTunes it tries to restore and gives me that. Tried multiple computers and all the Googling I could muster. Unless one of you has a miracle cure, I'm headed to Verizon in the morning.

That smells like recovery mode and not DFU. For DFU I think you need to hold home and lock for 7 seconds then remove lock until the pc recognizes the phone. The screen will be all black.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

That smells like recovery mode and not DFU. For DFU I think you need to hold home and lock for 7 seconds then remove lock until the pc recognizes the phone. The screen will be all black.

Tried a dozen different timings and methods, no go. I have a new phone arriving today anyway. Oh well.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Did you ever get it into DFU mode? It's a fail safe chip that will work regardless of what else you've done

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I used that Taig jailbreak on my 5, and I'm poking around Cydia and I can't find....anything. At all. What the hell? I don't remember having this much trouble when I jailbroke it before.

Like, for example, I can't find winterboard! Why can't I find winterboard, it's goddamn winterboard. Gimme it.

e I fixed it somehow. No idea how.
e2: What can I use to remove icon names?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 30, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Icon Renamer works for me.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Literally The Worst posted:

I used that Taig jailbreak on my 5, and I'm poking around Cydia and I can't find....anything. At all. What the hell? I don't remember having this much trouble when I jailbroke it before.

Like, for example, I can't find winterboard! Why can't I find winterboard, it's goddamn winterboard. Gimme it.

e I fixed it somehow. No idea how.
Did you let it update package lists from the repos? I got confused for a few minutes by that too lol

I had to do it twice after I first started again to populate them

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 30, 2015

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Did you ever get it into DFU mode? It's a fail safe chip that will work regardless of what else you've done

99% positive I've gotten into DFU. iPhone screen is totally black and iTunes pops up and says "This device must be restored" blah blah. Still just Error (1). Fairly sure it's toast for reals.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought it was impossible to brick iPhones. Is that now false?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MickRaider posted:

Except for the 80% of iPhones whose lock button fails within 2 years. :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tesilential posted:

Except for the 80% of iPhones whose lock button fails within 2 years. :(

Admittedly, I've never had one for two years, but I've had one of every generation iPhone and I've never had a button failure.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Admittedly, I've never had one for two years, but I've had one of every generation iPhone and I've never had a button failure.

Thanks for posting.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Dave posted:

I thought it was impossible to brick iPhones. Is that now false?

You can't brick them with a bad software update or jailbreak, because DFU mode is implemented outside that layer and has just enough intelligence to reflash the phone into a working state.

Hardware faults, on the other hand, will brick an iPhone just like anything else.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

An Enormous Boner posted:

Thanks for posting.

It's as valuable as claiming 80%.

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

Sunblood posted:

99% positive I've gotten into DFU. iPhone screen is totally black and iTunes pops up and says "This device must be restored" blah blah. Still just Error (1). Fairly sure it's toast for reals.

Try a different computer. If iTunes can recognize the phone as being in DFU mode, it's almost certainly not toast. A while back, I went through some pretty crazy boot loop/restore/DFU/smashing it against the loving wall craziness trying to get an iPhone 4 back into a usable state after the previous owner sent it to me in a completely unusable state (he'd started an update and then turned the phone off in the middle for some reason) but after tons of errors and a coupla different computers, I eventually got it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Remind me, can 8.1.3 be jailbroken?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

vinnie1023 posted:

Try a different computer. If iTunes can recognize the phone as being in DFU mode, it's almost certainly not toast. A while back, I went through some pretty crazy boot loop/restore/DFU/smashing it against the loving wall craziness trying to get an iPhone 4 back into a usable state after the previous owner sent it to me in a completely unusable state (he'd started an update and then turned the phone off in the middle for some reason) but after tons of errors and a coupla different computers, I eventually got it.

Tried my desktop, my gf's macbook, and even my work computer.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Remind me, can 8.1.3 be jailbroken?

No.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sunblood posted:

Tried my desktop, my gf's macbook, and even my work computer.

As a last ditch resort you can try a different cable.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

As a last ditch resort you can try a different cable.

tried four cables total I think

I mean I appreciate everyone's support here but I've exhausted all my options. At this point I have a new phone anyway.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I've had every generation of iphone since 3g and they've all had button failures within a year.

Also the thing will say "A phone has been detected in DFU mode"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Really? Aw that's shite.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Really? Aw that's shite.

Apple finally patched the exploit that's been used to JB iOS 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Really? Aw that's shite.

8.1.2 is still being signed. Hurry!

https://ipsw.me/all

• Locked thread