Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Wilson Hall by TomOlson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Dormitorio by TomOlson, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I'd flip over this if it wasn't for that triangle in the upper left.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Rot posted:

I'd flip over this if it wasn't for that triangle in the upper left.

Interesting point, might work on cloning that out. Thanks Rot!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yuan Ching by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Was feeling angsty, went for a walk, took angsty photos

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

This is cool and good. Being angsty is fine, just channel it into good art, like the above.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Was feeling angsty, went for a walk, took angsty photos

Love it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Smart bridge by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

Cardiff night by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
My first go with Delta 3200 film. Shot at 1600, developed at 3200. Some weird issues with the roll that I'm trying to figure out, but overall I'm happy.

Roofs by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Roofs v2 by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Took the camera up to Mt Hood today to get a feel for lugging it around while snowboarding. I went solo so just some landscape shots.

MOS_2030-1 by sporklift, on Flickr

MOS_1991-1 by sporklift, on Flickr

MOS_2075-1 by sporklift, on Flickr

MOS_2103-1 by sporklift, on Flickr

Honestly not really happy with most of what I took so any feedback would be great. I am still new and it is hard to articulate what I don't like.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
The Light by TomOlson, on Flickr

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

You know what this thread hasn't had in a few pages? Iceland photos.

(Guest house we almost decided not to stay in)

I went last March and had a great time, can't wait to go back, I need to get better at landscapes.

My whole album if anyone cares: http://imgur.com/a/VD3HY

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ugh I want to be there so bad

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

gently caress it just go now, it's cheaper if you go before June. There was less than three months between my friend posting "Hey who wants to go to Iceland?" on Facebook and going.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wowsers! I really like this.

Awesome.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A few pictures from a recent road trip.

I'd like to get better at landscape photography (and photography in general). Can anyone recommend a good online starting point (or a book) for learning more about shot composition and other factors like that?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Snow on the beach is one of my favorite things.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hurstville by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Continuing with the empty parking lot theme.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Hurstville by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Continuing with the empty parking lot theme.

I dig this, shoot more!

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Edit.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 30, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

That 70s Shirt posted:

"Little Mammoth" - Sonoma Coast State Park, CA

There is a pretty distinct halo around the mountain.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

sporklift posted:

Snow on the beach is one of my favorite things.

That's actually all ice shelf that forms up during storms out of wave spray and pack ice that gets washed up on top. It can run up to 30 feet thick in spots and over a hundred yards out from shore near there (at least thats how far it goes out this year). It's also a pain in the rear end to walk on without crampons.

FYI Vote_No, avoid standing on the very tops of the mounds. Some of them are still hollow in the middle down to waterline and you can fall through the thin ice at the top (and die). It happened a while back to a friend of mine who just managed to catch herself on the edge and climb out.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

My first go with Delta 3200 film. Shot at 1600, developed at 3200. Some weird issues with the roll that I'm trying to figure out, but overall I'm happy.

Roofs by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Roofs v2 by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Dig this but would prefer square crops.

Here are rocks and water and shrubbery:

_DSC8043-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

single-mode fiber posted:

Waterton Lakes National Park!

Hah! Waterton! I haven't been there in years. My old man used to work at the crossing up on Chief Mountain.

I like your 2nd and 3rd photos.

Here's some crap I took with my trusty ol' 10D...which I broke on the same trip falling off a bicycle.

lower_waterton_lake
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

chief_mtn_field
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

E: Just realized that these two photos were the first I ever contributed to the thread. Oh well, here they are again, hosted on Flickr this time.

Rot fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 28, 2015

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

sporklift posted:

Took the camera up to Mt Hood today to get a feel for lugging it around while snowboarding. I went solo so just some landscape shots.

What's up, camera-lugging-while-snowboarding/skiing buddy! Heavy photo gear is my excuse for being slow on the climbs in the backcountry. Has it been just as lovely of a winter down at Mt Hood as it has been here in BC? I'm about to give up on this season entirely and put the bike rack back on the car.

:suicide:

sporklift posted:

MOS_1991-1 by sporklift, on Flickr

Honestly not really happy with most of what I took so any feedback would be great. I am still new and it is hard to articulate what I don't like.

I like this one the best. At most all I could say is that if I was doing the processing, I probably would have pumped up the fore and mid ground a bit, they look underexposed. But maybe that's what you were going for, I dunno.

Snow is great for fooling the camera's metering, so I tend to dial up the exposure comp a stop or more to get the snow to look white and expose the rest of the scene.

DSCF2342.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF2347.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I made pedestrian photos of rocks!

DSCF2382 by sildargod, on Flickr

Do photos of angry skies count?

export-bnw by sildargod, on Flickr

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Rot posted:

Here's some crap I took with my trusty ol' 10D...which I broke on the same trip falling off a bicycle.

lower_waterton_lake
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

chief_mtn_field
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

At least it died for a good cause! These are gorgeous, especially the second one.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 30, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rot posted:

What's up, camera-lugging-while-snowboarding/skiing buddy! Heavy photo gear is my excuse for being slow on the climbs in the backcountry. Has it been just as lovely of a winter down at Mt Hood as it has been here in BC? I'm about to give up on this season entirely and put the bike rack back on the car.

:suicide:

I like this one the best. At most all I could say is that if I was doing the processing, I probably would have pumped up the fore and mid ground a bit, they look underexposed. But maybe that's what you were going for, I dunno.

Snow is great for fooling the camera's metering, so I tend to dial up the exposure comp a stop or more to get the snow to look white and expose the rest of the scene.

DSCF2342.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF2347.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Terrible snow year. Basically the looking at the very tail end of spring.... in January. Bare spots and slush snow. 60 degrees and mashed potato snow is fun sometimes but drat. In that photo I was exposing for Mt Jefferson in the background and when I up the foreground I lose it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hougang by alkanphel, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

deaders posted:

This is cool but im a bit conflicted about the non standard crop.

I'm just curious about this. Is there a Rule about non standard crops? I normally crop things that need cropping to whatever shape/aspect ratio I like or think suits the subject. I personally find no issue with it, but maybe it's a sticky subject for some?
I usually set my camera up to shoot 3:2 just to make it easy for a hypothetical 4x6 print I will never make. I guess if I'm going to crop to whatever anyway, I should leave it at full sensor.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

There are no rules in art.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Pissed the second one was quite crooked when I shot it and didn't check it. (The sign, not the truck.)

15-365 Falling Over (Panama City, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Succesos (Panama City, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

huhu fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

There are no rules in art.

That's kind of my take, but I see it come up every once in a while. I was curious if it was a Thou Shalt thing they taught in photography school or something that I'm completely ignorant of.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I just found this in my export folder. Taken a month ago, I must not have liked it initially. But then it is rather garish.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

FYI Vote_No, avoid standing on the very tops of the mounds. Some of them are still hollow in the middle down to waterline and you can fall through the thin ice at the top (and die). It happened a while back to a friend of mine who just managed to catch herself on the edge and climb out.

Thanks for the warning; I wouldn't have considered that. Though I did go out on it, I for some reason avoided getting up on the mounds. I did see a couple people standing right on the edge of the water and preoccupied with their phones, though.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Getting pretty close to finished with the empty carpark theme... I think...

Hurtville by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Why did you choose that angle? I'd be more pissed at that.