Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's a really good write-up, if rather depressing.

what really hit me was the WWE not covering Daniel Bryan being a hit with stuff like the San Francisco Giants doing the Yes chant, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the planned mania card this year is insanely weak by the way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

with all the heatless midcarders they have it's gonna be a hell of an Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Does the hair flip count as a move?

What about a blank stare?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

mania comes to the bay area and it's the biggest wet fart of a card since wrestlemania 26. at least 29 had taker/punk for me to get excited about now there's nothing except the fact that i get to save a ton of money

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I get that all black people are the same in the WWE's eyes, but who the hell had Truth go up top for the headbutt without yelling "What's up?"

poo poo writes itself

Yeah, at first I thought it was that he says "What's up" instead of "wazzup" and that was the joke. But then they didn't have him do it, so it's just that he is a black man and so is D-Von. I trusted you to use an obvious joke, WWE and instead you decided to be racist.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Alain Post posted:

for context, last year's Rumble got ***1/4 despite the crowd making GBS threads on the ending

Last year's rumble had stuff going on, at least. There was punk being shafted and shoved into the #1 spot, there was the Shield breakup tease, there was Rusev loving up Kofi because I think they had some heat from NXT, there was Sheamus saving Punk from the Shield 3 on 1, There was tension in the final three (hence the cheers for Reigns), there was the thing with Punk being taken out by Kane, even if it was an audible thanks to the concussion

This year was literally from entrant 1 to the very end solely a vehicle to get Reigns over. There was nothing else to the match, at all. The only real "Memorable" spots are Kofi crowd surfing and Bray giving an asskicker speech (and then being tossed like a jobber)

And unlike last year where Reigns was loving dudes up, he spend the entire match asleep in a corner.

CM Punk took a nap in a corner in last years rumble because he got one motherfucker of a concussion.

This rumble is literally worth watching only for the return of DDP and the return of Bubba and the shadenfreude of watching the WWE try to book something that dumb.

People in the crowd were booing Roman Reigns's face in a pre-pre-show video package. WWE was dumb to book the rumble the way they did, and even dumber to roll with it after they saw the crowd reaction.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For real though that stretcher spot sucks the wind out of every match it's in and was the reason it's not worth the full 5

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still one of the most insanely great moments in WWE's history :allears:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
And here's your top Mania card basically locked up barring injuries or whatnot:

Reigns vs Lesnar WWE Title
HHH vs Sting
Cena vs Rusev
Taker vs Wyatt (if Taker agrees)
Orton vs Rollins
Bryan vs Ziggler

I like the idea of Bryan vs Ziggler but it feels like a huge downgrade for Bryan and the rest of the card looks to be okay at best.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

HHH vs Sting
Cena vs Rusev
Orton vs Rollins
Bryan vs Ziggler

:gas:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tonfa posted:

For real though that stretcher spot sucks the wind out of every match it's in and was the reason it's not worth the full 5

also Brock Lesnar, of all people, shouldn't be doing stretcher spots.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

oatgan posted:

Card is:

• Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns [set in stone]

• Triple H vs. Sting [set in stone]

• Bray Wyatt vs. The Undertaker

• Rusev (c) vs. John Cena

• Randy Orton vs. Seth Rollins

• Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler

• Battle Royal

• Divas Match

• Tag Title Match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alain Post posted:

what really hit me was the WWE not covering Daniel Bryan being a hit with stuff like the San Francisco Giants doing the Yes chant, etc.

That just reminded me of Punk's complaints about how they took every opportunity handed to them for good publicity and either ignored it or tried to force their idea of who should REALLY be involved into it.

:sigh:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'll miss you, dean ambrose

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I hope Bryan v. Ziggler goes on the pre-show where they usually relegate poo poo like New Day and Cesaro, because that would just be the most WWE thing possible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerusalem posted:

That just reminded me of Punk's complaints about how they took every opportunity handed to them for good publicity and either ignored it or tried to force their idea of who should REALLY be involved into it.

it loving reminds me of WCW not covering Mark McGwire and Goldberg hitting it off in freaking 1998, where McGwire was like the second biggest athlete in the US after Michael Jordan.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

when punk left they decided to treat daniel bryan exactly the same minus 6 great weeks last year. please retire after your dates are up, bryan :smith:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So if Taker remembers he's the worlds frailest oldster, do we get Dean vs Wyatt?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Card is:

• Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns [set in stone]

• Triple H vs. Sting [set in stone]

• Bray Wyatt vs. The Undertaker

• Rusev (c) vs. John Cena

• Randy Orton vs. Seth Rollins

• Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler

• Battle Royal

• Divas Match

• Tag Title Match

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

So if Taker remembers he's the worlds frailest oldster, do we get Dean vs Wyatt?

oh boy i love that feud

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe Ambrose will get a huge babyface spot by ruining the inevitable Rollins cash-in

sigh

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Daniel Bryan posted:

HHH vs Sting
Cena vs Rusev
Orton vs Rollins
Bryan vs Ziggler

I like the idea of Bryan vs Ziggler but it feels like a huge downgrade for Bryan and the rest of the card looks to be okay at best.

Maybe I'll re-up for Summer Slam when they get a good card. Jesus christ.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

i don't need to see those two wrestle ever again

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Sad it won't be Bryan v. Kane at Wrestlemania. We could have had the best Inferno Match of all time!

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Shima Honnou posted:

Sad it won't be Bryan v. Kane at Wrestlemania. We could have had the best Inferno Match of all time!

I want Bryan vs. Kane in every gimmick match possible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Orton vs. Rollins and Bryan vs. Ziggler would be great wrestling-wise, at least. HHH vs. Sting would be a good spectacle. Cena vs. Rusev also has potential for a good match. But it's just that Reigns vs. Lesnar is so dull that it makes everything else look bad too.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > Punchsport Pagoda › WWE Discussion is Canceled Due to Snowflakes on 1/26

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

HHH vs Sting
Cena vs Rusev
Orton vs Rollins
Bryan vs Ziggler

To be fair, last year's card was pretty uninteresting on paper aside from the Bryan matches, but this is pretty loving dire.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

It's really bad that Ambrose/Rollins was ended by ghosts, I know the Shield triple threat is probably their biggest dream match but Ambrose/Rollins could have been sick for this year's WM.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

HHH vs Sting
Cena vs Rusev
Orton vs Rollins
Bryan vs Ziggler

This is loving dire. Bryan/Ziggler would be good if given time (which it won't be). Not gonna like I'll be excited for Sting v HHH and the main event is going to be hysterical

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

electric funeral posted:

I want Bryan vs. Kane in every gimmick match possible.

Punjabi Prison seems like it'd be a good fit for a Mania blowoff! :haw:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fat Lowtax posted:

It's really bad that Ambrose/Rollins was ended by ghosts, I know the Shield triple threat is probably their biggest dream match but Ambrose/Rollins could have been sick for this year's WM.

I still laugh when I think back to people around the time of Bray's Spooky Ride starting saying that the Ambrose/Rollins feud totally couldn't be over and forgotten when it seriously was.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Daniel Bryan posted:

Big old write up worth your time looking at in the new Observer about why they chose Reigns over Bryan. And it's exactly why you think it is.

What's the jist of it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shima Honnou posted:

I still laugh when I think back to people around the time of Bray's Spooky Ride starting saying that the Ambrose/Rollins feud totally couldn't be over and forgotten when it seriously was.

Let's wait and see on this Wyatt/Ambrose feud

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

i hate everyone who ever defended the ending to that match outside of "it's so awful and retarded and missed the point it's hilarious" much like pretty much anything since the shield broke up

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Also, loving, this

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fart blood posted:

What's the jist of it?

Without c/p'ing half the issue it boils down to Reigns is handsome and has good hair while Daniel Bryan is small and ugly and WWE thinks he is merely catchphrase over. His run at Wrestlemania was just a band-aid to keep fans from making GBS threads all over the show and nothing more.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 29, 2015

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

They can't gently caress up the Shield triple threat, by the way. It's impossible. I'm gonna say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

fart blood posted:

What's the jist of it?

Bryan will likely never be pushed to the main event again, last year was a once off anomaly they were absolutely pushed into. Bryan knows how to get over, has all the tools to be a top guy, or possibly the top guy but won't be pushed as such.

Reigns was picked for no other reason than his look, despite clearly lacking the abilities Bryan has. Because he has the look.

• Locked thread