Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

evol262 posted:

Not really what the harem was about, but ok.

Your comment:

evol262 posted:

It's like a relationship. It is a relationship with your employer. If you're not on the market, why are you interviewing? Would your girlfriend consider it unethical if you were on Tinder or some dating site?

I found flawed in that you were comparing a working relationship with an employer to a monogamous committed relationship with an equally committed partner. I prefer to think of it more like a Harem, where the commitment expectation is 1 way from the owner's perspective, and while the concubine may have the delusion (or illusion) that the commitment exists the other way, it doesn't. While the expectation exists that the employee remain committed, the employer doesn't have any problem looking for faster, better, cheaper while giving you lip service about how times are tough or how the place would fall apart without you.

Edit to prevent :spergin:: When I say harem, I mean the western colloquial version that is more like a brothel than the traditional usage. Yes, it's not technically correct, but considering it's existed in common thought that way outside of academic circles for hundreds of years, meh.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I found flawed in that you were comparing a working relationship with an employer to a monogamous committed relationship with an equally committed partner.n thought that way outside of academic circles for hundreds of years, meh.
It's more like you are on a team trying to accomplish something, and they need to know that you are committed, just like you need to know that they are committed. If you want to get away from being a line on a spreadsheet, work for a smaller company. I'm not a hotshot, but if I saw the CEO of my 750 person company at Target, we would recognize each other and have a short friendly conversation of small talk. The very top of my company knows me, and that alone gives me more job security than IT GUY 3578 at a fortune 50 company. He's going to feel bad about laying me off to pad the bottom line, so if I get let go I know it's for one of two reasons, I hosed up somehow or the company is going under.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Your comment:

I found flawed in that you were comparing a working relationship with an employer to a monogamous committed relationship with an equally committed partner. I prefer to think of it more like a Harem, where the commitment expectation is 1 way from the owner's perspective, and while the concubine may have the delusion (or illusion) that the commitment exists the other way, it doesn't. While the expectation exists that the employee remain committed, the employer doesn't have any problem looking for faster, better, cheaper while giving you lip service about how times are tough or how the place would fall apart without you.

Edit to prevent :spergin:: When I say harem, I mean the western colloquial version that is more like a brothel than the traditional usage. Yes, it's not technically correct, but considering it's existed in common thought that way outside of academic circles for hundreds of years, meh.

What he meant was that there's a parallel expectation in a relationship, not that it was monogamous. I.E. both parties have expectations from each other and if you're unilaterally violating those expectations with the idea that it gives you a competitive edge, then an employer has a rational reason to be annoyed.

Why this is lost on people is the most :spergin: thing.

I'm very open about my status as a free agent (and I openly refer to my boss as one as well), but free agents don't need to gently caress over their teams, nor is it the best idea. Every major bail out I've seen has been from a great connection and a positive working experience and NOT loving over your bosses. But my bosses also don't suck, so I've got no reason to. If they sucked, I'd leave (or would have left when I'd received other offers), but I wouldn't gently caress them over because I'm not a man child. Well, not at work at least.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

:words:

Seriously. It was an analogy. And companies aren't people, but your boss isn't a company. And the hiring manager isn't a company. And the person you might wanna use as a reference or who networks with other people isn't a company, and...

Seconding.

While theatrics may be fun take the high road and be a professional.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Beep boop don't burn a bridge.

I might tell my friends I'm looking for a new job, I would absolutely not tell my boss until I'm ready to hand in my notice. To me, that's the difference between a company/co-worker and a friend. Being professional is giving two weeks (or more) notice. Being professional is also wishing employees well in their new positions and not being angry or implying that they are 'fleeing' or otherwise screwing over 'the team'.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

Being professional is also wishing employees well in their new positions and not being angry or implying that they are 'fleeing' or otherwise screwing over 'the team'.
And therein lies the point of contention. I have no problem with people looking, finding, and taking a better opportunity. Some people in this thread make it seem like they are mercenaries who will constantly jump ship because gently caress companies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Being professional is also wishing employees well in their new positions and not being angry or implying that they are 'fleeing' or otherwise screwing over 'the team'.

One day, one day I will have another supervisor like this :pray:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I emailed my manager today asking if he had some time to talk. He emailed back that he'd be happy to, but he wanted to include his boss, who is the corporate IT manager.

I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign. I was considering just talking to the next boss up anyway since my direct manager has basically dodged every question and just promised stuff for the future. The corporate manager is at least not a bullshitter, so we'll see what comes of it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Bhodi posted:

Beep boop don't burn a bridge.

I might tell my friends I'm looking for a new job, I would absolutely not tell my boss until I'm ready to hand in my notice. To me, that's the difference between a company/co-worker and a friend. Being professional is giving two weeks (or more) notice. Being professional is also wishing employees well in their new positions and not being angry or implying that they are 'fleeing' or otherwise screwing over 'the team'.

You're right, but properly reciprocate those feelings based on your relationship with your company, not based on relationships or perceptions with/of other companies.

My corporate? Not a care. They're the company that lowers the average costs of doing business and no one I call at HR gives a poo poo about me. My boss? Her boss? Great people to work for. I'll treat them with great respect and I wouldn't burn a bridge with them at all.

The thing is that I'm not necessarily agree'ing with evol in this case (where a job offer was accepted and he's discussing leaving before he's started which can damage poo poo). I'm just agree'ing that since you're dealing with people, it is a relationship and it's important to manage it like one. If you had a friend who would bail you out of problems, you'd make sure that relationship didn't sour. The "corporations are evil shitlords" argument is as dumb as "our workers are mindless peons" because you don't work with the CEO in large companies so who gives a gently caress either way? I don't care about my company (and I've very publicly said that their excuses for things like benefit cuts wouldn't fly if I gave those excuses as to why I refused to accept those benefit cuts), but I care about the personal relationships at my company, and loving them over is bad.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Why is it so hard to get a recruiter to respond to you when they have no news but when they want you they don't stop calling

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

fluppet posted:

Why is it so hard to get a recruiter to respond to you when they have no news but when they want you they don't stop calling

While I try to respond to everyone that reaches out to me, if I contacted all my candidates when I had "no news" I'd never get anything done. Are you asking a pertinent question or are you just saying "Do you have anything for me?"

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I just had my 8th anniversary at work, and while I can see myself staying here for another 2~4 years, I'm going to start looking around. Not sure if I should hit up a recruiter, or just apply to stuff I find posted... I guess I should start with updating my resume first, which is a task in itself since I've been a generalist and all my "feathers" are all over the place.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Logged on to an old server to answer an error message that popped up on it, was curious and took a look at the specs - Pentium III 1266MHz, 1 gig ram. Running Win 2k SP4. Uptime is 398 days. Pretty sure if it is rebooted a drive or 2 isn't going to come back :derp:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Danith posted:

Logged on to an old server to answer an error message that popped up on it, was curious and took a look at the specs - Pentium III 1266MHz, 1 gig ram. Running Win 2k SP4. Uptime is 398 days. Pretty sure if it is rebooted a drive or 2 isn't going to come back :derp:

How do you not know that something like this is running in your environment...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have an ancient (and isolated) Linux server running some old reporting software that has an uptime right now of 1627 days. I have to move it to a new rack soon :(. Attempts to p2v it thus far have been problematic. Looks like I'm going to be rolling the dice.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do you not know that something like this is running in your environment...

Ok, I knew it was old but I didn't realize how old and never bothered to check the specs. I'm just an ops dude

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Dell sent us a pre-imaged 240GB SSD for some troubleshooting on a very expensive Precision I've been dealing with for a while.

I popped it in, booted it up, and everything's going great, but then I notice it only has 26GB free. I start cursing Dell's bloatware but then I'm looking and there's basically nothing on here.

Long story short, this system has 192GB of RAM, and Windows was set to handle the page file, which meant it was devoting 192GB of space to it. Oops.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alfajor posted:

I just had my 8th anniversary at work, and while I can see myself staying here for another 2~4 years, I'm going to start looking around. Not sure if I should hit up a recruiter, or just apply to stuff I find posted... I guess I should start with updating my resume first, which is a task in itself since I've been a generalist and all my "feathers" are all over the place.

Why are you looking around? I've been at my current gig over 10 years now (not in the same role), and the company takes good care of us and I'm pretty happy overall.

The hardest part about finding a new job would be finding this much vacation time again. I get 22 vacation days, not counting sick and normal company holidays.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Does this seem like a fairly expansive list for a midtier network admin role in a manufacturing industry?

quote:

This position is key to the company’s success and continued growth. Due to the company’s continued year over year growth in a competitive manufacturing environment the technology department is constantly looking for new technologies and solutions. The company operates 7x24 in multiple locations with continual expansion. Some of the supported systems are: Citrix, (Xen Suite), VMWare, Veeam, Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, NAV ERP, CRM, Document imaging, Plant control interface systems, Data warehousing (Microsoft SSIS, SSAS and SSRS), and several other systems. The company utilizes active disaster recovery with Microsoft SRM between sites. Leveraging mobile technology with interactive business intelligence using the Microsoft suite is critical.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.

Project Management (IT) - Develop, plan, and implement projects around the IT infrastructure that support the corporate vision and are strategic to future growth; Test deployments before release to production; and Identify areas of opportunity and improvement.
Systems Administration - Administer the server and domain infrastructure; Ensure successful data back-ups and prove ability to lead (hands-on) Disaster Recover efforts; Maintain server based technologies: Citrix, Sharepoint, Exchange, SQL, AD, Antivirus; and Maintain and administer the SAN and virtual storage platforms.
Service Management - Identify service request priority and IT resource and Collaborate with Helpdesk Staff regarding resolution plans.
Project Management (Business Support) - Provide support for changes to production business systems and tools; and Provide support to Access, Excel, and SQL.
End User Support - Provide Tier 1 and 2 user support based on priority. Share on-call, off-hours support.
Responsible for researching potential external vendors, maintaining current vendor relationships, and ensuring projects’ successful completions

icehewk fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 29, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

icehewk posted:

Does this seem like a fairly expansive list for a midtier network admin role in a manufacturing industry?

Sounds like your typical small business network admin.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

While I try to respond to everyone that reaches out to me, if I contacted all my candidates when I had "no news" I'd never get anything done. Are you asking a pertinent question or are you just saying "Do you have anything for me?"

Fair point I'll stop being so impatient

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

fluppet posted:

Fair point I'll stop being so impatient

General statement without knowing your situation: Just understand that it's in our best interests to contact you if there is a development. It's literally what we get paid for - driving the process forward. Once I get you submitted to a job, if there is an interview or information request I'm going to be on the phone with you that minute. And if you don't answer, I will call you, email you, text you, LinkedIn you, carrier pigeon your rear end, and even go to your house if I have to.

If you're waiting on an opening, understand that we get paid to fill our clients' needs, not help you "find a job", so I can't always spend the whole day searching for jobs for you. That being said, what I love about my job IS helping people find a job and take a step forward, so work with me - search the boards and send me links if you find something that fits and maybe I can use my connections/network to get you in. Anyway, not all recruiters are created equal so YMMV. Feel free to PM me your resume if you want some feedback and I'll let you know if I see any reason you aren't getting a call back.

Alfajor posted:

If you're serious about the job search, go hog wild. Search the boards, start working with 1-3 recruiters (may have to meet with more to find the right ones), join networking groups, talk to your peers, etc.

The job search is like dating. You can't just go to one bar and expect to find your soulmate. And if you go to the wrong one you might just get the herp.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 29, 2015

syg
Mar 9, 2012
I'm part of a smallish team of 6 and our director is going to move up into a VP position overseeing another department in addition to the IT department and I may have the option to take over his current IT management role. We would need to hire 1-2 engineers to fill my current role of senior engineer. I do like the management side of things and have been his right hand on pretty much every decision made in the last many years, but the idea of being a middle manager makes me feel a lot less important to the company than I do now as their top technical asset. I also don't have a degree, so I feel like that management experience may not even be transferable if I left this company. I currently have 12 years in IT and plan/design all of our network, virtual, storage and web infrastructure. Tons of autonomy, good budget and our company completely runs on IT.

Anyone have any advice? It seems like for the last few years I've spent half my time in meetings, conference calls and discussing budgets, dollars and purchasing anyway, so I know I like that aspect. I'm totally torn between pushing for the near future management role and sticking technical. Another slight worry is our team is very close and while I'm the senior technical guy on the team and my knowledge is very well respected, some of the guys might have trouble adjusting to me being their boss all of a sudden. Things are pretty informal right now.

I should also mention the IT market in my city is god awful and I cannot move due to family commitments. Pay and benefits are currently very good for my market.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syg posted:

I'm part of a smallish team of 6 and our director is going to move up into a VP position overseeing another department in addition to the IT department and I may have the option to take over his current IT management role. We would need to hire 1-2 engineers to fill my current role of senior engineer. I do like the management side of things and have been his right hand on pretty much every decision made in the last many years, but the idea of being a middle manager makes me feel a lot less important to the company than I do now as their top technical asset. I also don't have a degree, so I feel like that management experience may not even be transferable if I left this company. I currently have 12 years in IT and plan/design all of our network, virtual, storage and web infrastructure. Tons of autonomy, good budget and our company completely runs on IT.

Anyone have any advice? It seems like for the last few years I've spent half my time in meetings, conference calls and discussing budgets, dollars and purchasing anyway, so I know I like that aspect. I'm totally torn between pushing for the near future management role and sticking technical. Another slight worry is our team is very close and while I'm the senior technical guy on the team and my knowledge is very well respected, some of the guys might have trouble adjusting to me being their boss all of a sudden. Things are pretty informal right now.

I should also mention the IT market in my city is god awful and I cannot move due to family commitments. Pay and benefits are currently very good for my market.

Management experience is always transferable. If you are responsible for people and task delegation, those are desirable, hell required, experience for management positions.

It sounds like you're at a decision point in your career. If you've been operating as a team lead and de facto assistant manager already, manager is really the next step. Or you can stay in your current position. But that runs the risk of you forever being pigeon-holed with no more advancement.

As for your current team members, as long as they are professionals and not petty children, you'll be fine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's actually really awesome when you are friends with your boss

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there a goon LinkedIn group other than Stairmasters specific to IT/computers?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In other subforums I've seen "Let's Read" threads where a book will be read at a one chapter a week pace, kind of like a book club.

Would anyone be interested in doing this with something like the EMC manual:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118094832

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CloFan posted:

:lol: That's pretty bad, was this a one time cost or ongoing service? You should get a refund either way though, talk about bushleague

It's an ongoing support contract, we had to roll back to the previous version yesterday morning. I have no idea what, if anything is going to come of this, probably nothing though, just another vendor gently caress up.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a goon LinkedIn group other than Stairmasters specific to IT/computers?

Most of stairmasters is IT. Just start a thread if there's something specific you want.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

There's an SA IT Mentoring Group although it gets like one post per week. It's hidden/private so you have to request membership, not sure who that goes to.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In other subforums I've seen "Let's Read" threads where a book will be read at a one chapter a week pace, kind of like a book club.

Would anyone be interested in doing this with something like the EMC manual:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118094832

I'd be down depending on the book.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I had the most soul crushing interview just now, and I was the one doing the interviewing. I help my associate director with interviewing student assistants for our helpdesk. I just interviewed a man in his 40's who has certifications going back decades. In our interviews we tell the students that we offer a max of 25 hours a week and $8.25 up front so we can ask if they're still interested. Man said he was still interested, had been in IT, got laid off, worked in construction for a few years, and is now starting over to get his degree. Things like that scare the poo poo out of me as it makes me wonder if I'm staring at a vision of my future self.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Coredump posted:

I had the most soul crushing interview just now, and I was the one doing the interviewing. I help my associate director with interviewing student assistants for our helpdesk. I just interviewed a man in his 40's who has certifications going back decades. In our interviews we tell the students that we offer a max of 25 hours a week and $8.25 up front so we can ask if they're still interested. Man said he was still interested, had been in IT, got laid off, worked in construction for a few years, and is now starting over to get his degree. Things like that scare the poo poo out of me as it makes me wonder if I'm staring at a vision of my future self.

Sounds like he ejected during the .com bust. It was a very amusing time, who knew that the business strategy of "We'll make a website and make billions!" wouldn't actually work.

But yeah that's actually a pretty familiar story for IT dudes in their 40's. My last boss was one of those, severely atrophied and out of date skillsets are the norm.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Docjowles posted:

There's an SA IT Mentoring Group although it gets like one post per week. It's hidden/private so you have to request membership, not sure who that goes to.

I'd be down depending on the book.

Learn Powershell in 28 weeks of binge drinking?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What I would really love is some kind of active study group where folks distribute labs and stuff based on their real-life experience.

That's a lot of work, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd be game for a lets read, I presume we'd just start a new thread and take it from there?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What info do you use to figure out where your salary is at? I'm changing job markets and I'm also currently underpaid right now. I made the mistake of mentioning my current salary which is low for my current market so I'm trying to get some info so I can argue for a pretty large increase.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

What I would really love is some kind of active study group where folks distribute labs and stuff based on their real-life experience.

That's a lot of work, though.

DAF is up to the task.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rhymenoserous posted:

But yeah that's actually a pretty familiar story for IT dudes in their 40's. My last boss was one of those, severely atrophied and out of date skillsets are the norm.

It's sad, but serves as a reminder that you have to keep your skillset current, even if you have to do it yourself. If your work doesn't expose you to new poo poo, you have to do it on your own time. A longtime co-worker was let go in a departmental re-org last year, and for years I've been trying to get him to learn new stuff. VMware, Powershell, Server 2008R2+, MDT any kind of new technology. He really didn't give a crap, and didn't take the time to learn new stuff. He stuck with his Norton Ghost boot CD, and Server 2003 knowledge, and never missed a chance to tell us how awesome Netware was back in the day. He was comfortable with his knowledge and didn't want to learn new poo poo. Last I heard he's been unemployed over 8 months in a fairly decent job market. I guess no one cares about his Netware certifications, or his advanced knowledge of Exchange 2003 these days.

This is also another reason I will never go into middle management, they're the FIRST to go during any kind of acquisition or restructure.

jim truds posted:

What info do you use to figure out where your salary is at? I'm changing job markets and I'm also currently underpaid right now. I made the mistake of mentioning my current salary which is low for my current market so I'm trying to get some info so I can argue for a pretty large increase.

Glassdoor, Indeed, salary.com, payscale.com, local job postings with ranges listed. That should get you in an approximate ballpark.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jim truds posted:

Glass door and there's some industry PDF that's floating around in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was partial to the Modis IT salary guide, but it looks like they've put it behind an obnoxious "send us ALL of your contact info and we'll have a sales rep contact you about getting a copy!!!" wall which sucks. Used to just be a free PDF.