Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
After being started by hand, screw pumps can be powered via their own output using water wheels. Over unity dwarf device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

moller posted:

After being started by hand, screw pumps can be powered via their own output using water wheels. Over unity dwarf device.

My FPS isn't that great though soooo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If my archer dwarves are already legendary +5 archers, should I disable the archery range and just keep them in the barracks to train in order to not waste bolts? Or do they still gain beneficial attributes from archery practice that they wouldn't otherwise get practicing melee in the barracks?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It keeps improving. A few versions ago in adventure mode I got an elf up to legendary +50 swordsman and was regularly poking peoples eyes out, knocking out teeth, etc despite it always showing as an "impossible" shot.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I don't believe that's the case in Fortress Mode. I'd save the bolts if they are +5 Archer and +5 Marksdwarf. Sometimes I actually have a trainer squad that just shoots wood/bone bolts until then, at which point they graduate to the real squad that uses metal bolts and doesn't use the range.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

moller posted:

This is the one exploit in Dwarf Fortress that just makes me feel dirty whenever I use it. I feel like it says something troubling about my brain that I can suspend my disbelief for quantum stockpiles and the weird time stuff in Dwarf Mode but I draw the line at perpetual motion machines.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Does anyone know the correct workflow command for processing quarry bushes to bags at the farmers workshop?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It seems that Warlock Fortress in Masterwork got a few changes since I last played it, did they fix the issue with ghouls and hospitals where making a hospital will instantly make every ghoul rest and stay bedridden cause they are rotting forever?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mygna posted:

Does anyone know the correct workflow command for processing quarry bushes to bags at the farmers workshop?

You can just create the job in the workshop and then press Alt+W to get to the workflow window.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mygna posted:

From memory:

• Create a "Process plants to bag" job in a workshop. Repeat it
  • Hit alt-a, then m, then shift-P and filter to quarry bushes
  • Go back to the job list. Hit alt-w, shift-A and select the first entry (which should be something along the lines of "Process quarry bush plant to bag")
  • Setup your ranges

The only way workflow will manage stocks of specific types is if there is a job setup for that specific type already.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Is there a better guide to military than the Wiki guide? I'm trying to get a military started because I've got 4 "peasants" who all have Adequate weapon skill or better. They're training, but they're all becoming wrestlers because they refuse to put on armor or weapons (except the Hammerdwarf militia commander who for some stupid reason found and is using an axe). I have them set to use the Metal uniform but none of them will equip any of the armor or weapons lying around doing nothing.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Is there a better guide to military than the Wiki guide? I'm trying to get a military started because I've got 4 "peasants" who all have Adequate weapon skill or better. They're training, but they're all becoming wrestlers because they refuse to put on armor or weapons (except the Hammerdwarf militia commander who for some stupid reason found and is using an axe). I have them set to use the Metal uniform but none of them will equip any of the armor or weapons lying around doing nothing.

Check that the uniform replaces their clothing and doesn't go over the top of it (somewhere in the squad equipment page IIRC)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

set them to use specific weapons.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

necrotic posted:

From memory:

• Create a "Process plants to bag" job in a workshop. Repeat it
  • Hit alt-a, then m, then shift-P and filter to quarry bushes
  • Go back to the job list. Hit alt-w, shift-A and select the first entry (which should be something along the lines of "Process quarry bush plant to bag")
  • Setup your ranges

The only way workflow will manage stocks of specific types is if there is a job setup for that specific type already.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work anymore, the first entry workflow offers is "any item of any material" even after specifying the input materials. Setting up a range for rock nuts instead on the "Process plants to bag" job seems like a decent workaraound, though

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So my crossbow squad just sits in the barracks all day training, even when the schedule doesn't have any orders for them. I want them to go work pumps in their off-time like my axe squad does and have them both set up the same as far as I can tell. Am I missing something that seems to have gotten the crossbow squad stuck in the barracks?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mygna posted:

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work anymore, the first entry workflow offers is "any item of any material" even after specifying the input materials. Setting up a range for rock nuts instead on the "Process plants to bag" job seems like a decent workaraound, though

Hm, weird. I'll have to mess around with it later. At least you found a work around!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Whelp, I don't know if this is a gamebreaking bug, or if once again the obscure military mechanics have somehow screwed me over:

I breached the caverns and started drilling downwards for the magma, and set up a number of mining areas along the way to dig for minerals. Before I could get very far, a troll wandered up the staircase and I quickly drafted my miners to dispatch it.

They did, with no trouble, but now that the dust has settled... nobody will mine. At all. I even disbanded their squads, but nope-- everyone sits with the No Job status when there's tons of ore to be hewn.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You did check their labors, right? Drafting might straight up disable their "uniformed" jobs.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, I always have Therapist running. I've even disabled and re-enabled the Mining job a few times, but no dice. It's like the entire fortress just decided that the underground life wasn't for them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

Whelp, I don't know if this is a gamebreaking bug, or if once again the obscure military mechanics have somehow screwed me over:

I breached the caverns and started drilling downwards for the magma, and set up a number of mining areas along the way to dig for minerals. Before I could get very far, a troll wandered up the staircase and I quickly drafted my miners to dispatch it.

They did, with no trouble, but now that the dust has settled... nobody will mine. At all. I even disbanded their squads, but nope-- everyone sits with the No Job status when there's tons of ore to be hewn.

Another question; do they still have their picks?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I actually have someone set to making new picks, so there's no shortage. Not sure how to force someone to pick up equipment for a non-killing related job.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

StrangeAeon posted:

I actually have someone set to making new picks, so there's no shortage. Not sure how to force someone to pick up equipment for a non-killing related job.

Try assigning them to tree chopping, wait for them to throw their picks and pick up axes, then assign them back to mining.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

They won't chop down trees, either...

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Even the new migrants have refused to work. This settlement is ruined.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

start a new fort and strike the earth. Pray the rockfear does not strike again :iit:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

StrangeAeon posted:

Even the new migrants have refused to work. This settlement is ruined.

pull the lever

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

everyone sits with the No Job status when there's tons of ore to be hewn.

I've been running into problems with work never getting done and lots of idle dwarves as well. Some of it has seemed related to workflow somehow. Disabling workflow entirely and then cancelling all designated work / jobs in workshops (because they will never be worked) then creating new jobs/designations that then are correctly worked.

But honestly for me, being without workflow may as well be considered gamebreaking.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The workflow plugin wasn't revised or updated at all after the uprooting of the job allocation system. I'd wager it's the main culprit.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
There hasn't been an update in over 5 days... Is it safe to play now?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Gibbo posted:

Safe? 'Course it isn’t safe. But it's good. Toady's the king, I tell you.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gibbo posted:

I just started a new fortress with the current newbie pack, using the dfdivtuts2015 embark profile. Everything is working great. :)

brass_taxxx
Feb 19, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

They won't chop down trees, either...

I had this happen to me recently. I saw a post on a forum (or the bug tracker) from a couple of years ago about it where it was mentioned that this could happen when you set mining or woodcutting with Dwarf Therapist. I had woodcutting set through therapist (and committed the changes) but when I checked the dwarf's labours it wasn't set. Try manually enabling/re-enabling woodcutting and mining for those dwarves (if you haven't abandoned yet).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i JUST started looking at workflow, and it seems to work okay so far... the only issue i had was the auto chopping of trees which seemed to designate ALL trees on the map for chopping (expected) but did not respect my limits.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Spring is here and love is in the air!

These all happened pretty much one after the other.

EDIT: And after unpausing another marriage happened

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That just reminds me of the Necro Larry bit from the PHB PSAs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcU2-Fm8wVQ&t=52s

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

If it took place right after the point where you have your farms and mining and really start laying down the groundwork (managers, smeleteries, digging deep etc. etc.) That would be really cool as there doesn't seem to be a lot of that on the internet right now. "Cool, you know how to make it past your first year, now here's how to strike back," sort of thing.

It looks like capnduck will soon be putting out a DFVIDTUTS2015 series, so I will leave the YouTubing to someone far better at it than I am likely to be!

But, I'll throw a few tips into here real quick.

Most people like to start on a map with a cliff or hill nearby that you can tunnel into, because that provides a quick and simple defensive tunnel. But what if you start out in a flat area like this one?

First thing's first: disable literally every other labour on your miners, and get safely underground. The above ground stockpiles and workshops can eventually be destroyed or walled off.

You can see I've already got a staircase dug out, which will do for now. But assuming you already know how to get your farms, stockpiles, workshops, and so on dug out and set up, we turn to the question of defense. What good is a hole in the ground for defending? None. This is when you start looking at making your own tunnel. You can see two 5x1 channel designations to the east of my staircase, north and south of it respectively. These will allow wagons enough room to pass each other going either way.

A few levels down, ramps lead to the circular-ish room on the right. You can make the room smaller or larger if you want, so long as it is at least 5x5 to allow room for a trade depot. This is your main entrance!

To the left is the very first step in your fledgling defense design which can be up and running within a couple of months assuming you have access to glass, metal, and/or wood: two trap corridors which are immune to building destroyers. Between each pair of up-ramps, a pair of doors will be on the next level up. As you can read here, building destroyers who are presented a door surrounded on two sides by a ramp cannot damage it—whether it is locked or not. To the left of these corridors will be your military barracks.

The corridors are each 2 tiles wide to avoid potential pathing issues which single-tile corridors have been known to present. There are two corridors so that they may be individually opened and closed to direct the pathing of monsters. A more advanced design involves putting doors at both ends of the corridors and turning the tunnels into drowning chambers. The key element here, assuming that you want to use your soldiers to fight the monsters, is that there is some number of traps on both sides of the doors and that the military is by default on the opposite side of them relative to the path of approach for monsters.

Having (forbidden) doors some distance between the dwarves and the monsters will allow you to assemble your dwarves at your barracks (to the left of the corridor somewhere), without having them run in one by one as they arrive; and, since your barracks is some distance from the doors, unlocking one of them to fiddle with hostile pathing will not immediately lead to an engagement. This design also conveniently limits the effectiveness of hostile archers by allowing only short lines of sight, both prior to and after the doors.

You can of course throw this tunnel design into any fortress, including ones built into the side of a hill or mountain. I'll post later today with some screenshots of setting up a functional military, but in most biomes this simple trap hallway will handle all threats for the first couple of years at least: with this design, a monster must pass through at least ten tiles of traps (that is 100 individual weapons, up to 300 individual attacks if you're using serrated blades and/or spiked balls), and even low-quality spiked balls are enough to massacre small sieges. Your only issue will be trapavoid critters, which I will address in a second post.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

VDay posted:

Looks like the startdwarf command in DFHack is one of the ones that still needs to have an address found :negative:

I just want to embark with huge/tiny military armies and gently caress around, why must it be so hard.

Hey yo guess what? They've actually known the Windows address for a while, someone just forgot to tack it on the latest commits. :psydwarf:

The happy news is that it's a really simple fix-up. No recompiling needed. Just open up \hack\symbols.xml, find the empty start_dwarf_count address label and aping the fashion of the ones above, give it the value 0xB4C833. That'll make the script work like nothing happened.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

scamtank posted:

Hey yo guess what? They've actually known the Windows address for a while, someone just forgot to tack it on the latest commits. :psydwarf:

The happy news is that it's a really simple fix-up. No recompiling needed. Just open up \hack\symbols.xml, find the empty start_dwarf_count address label and aping the fashion of the ones above, give it the value 0xB4C833. That'll make the script work like nothing happened.

My loving hero :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Leal posted:

Spring is here and love is in the air!

These all happened pretty much one after the other.

EDIT: And after unpausing another marriage happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist