Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nah, we want to redecorate your homes and make you go to brunch.

Also make married women complain to their husbands that they should go to the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

If mean American income were increased, would the program have a more equal distribution of benefits? If yes, the problem is with income and not the deduction.

Technically correct, unless the rich are getting richer too. Income disparity results in benefit disparity, so what you really argue for is income equality, not income growth. But what if you don't like income equality? Well, then we'd best look into phasing out deductions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Technically correct, unless the rich are getting richer too. Income disparity results in benefit disparity, so what you really argue for is income equality, not income growth. But what if you don't like income equality? Well, then we'd best look into phasing out deductions.

Benefit disparity isn't necessarily a negative. I don't want income equality, I want an increase in the real rates of purchasing power and capital accumulation. If the poorest American is a millionaire and the richest a googleaire, who gives a poo poo so long as deflationary forces continue in consumer pricing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I want to stand up for Fed Audits, based on what was found during the one-time Paul/Sanders audit of 2010, which was part of Dodd-Frank, limited in scope, and non-recurring.

quote:

"We now know that Fed loaned trillions of dollars at zero or near-zero interest rates not only to the largest financial institutions in this country, but also to many of our largest corporations - including GE, McDonalds and Verizon. Most surprising, the Fed also lent huge sums of money to foreign private banks and corporations" he added.

Among the corporate beneficiaries were Citigroup, which received over $1.8 trillion; Morgan Stanley, which received nearly $2 trillion; Goldman Sachs, which received nearly $600 billion; and Bear Stearns, which received more than $960 billion in short-term loans with an interest rate as low as 0.5 percent.

The Fed's multi-trillion bailout was not limited to Wall Street and big banks, Some of the largest corporations in this country also received a multi-trillion bailout. Among those are General Electric, to which the Fed made over $16 trillion in financing under a commercial paper funding facility alone; McDonald's; Verizon; and Toyota.

The Fed should not be offering low-to-no-interest guaranteed loans to McDonald's, Verizon, and private banks (other than through the Federal deposit system) and I doubt there's any way to stop it from doing that unless there's a periodic, public audit and disclosure system established.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Good Citizen posted:

I don't think understand what an audit entails. One of the big 4 would be willing to take on the engagement, and the report would be an honest assessment of their financial position. Whatever the report is used for beyond that isn't much concern unless it brings in liability to the firm, and in that case it would be considered well before that stage and would only modify the scope of the audit.

That can't be what they mean by "audit" because the Fed's financial position seems pretty well documented. The Fed makes a profit every year of like $70 million that goes to the Dept. of Treasury. That's been public information for a while.

What nutty people want with an audit is the paper trail for general money printing, QE, and QE2. They want to be able to point at a document and say, "They're pulling money out of thin air!" with a slightly more provable nefarious connotation. They're trying to manufacture something similar to the Climategate scandal, but for monetary policy instead of global warming.

Joementum posted:

I want to stand up for Fed Audits, based on what was found during the one-time Paul/Sanders audit of 2010, which was part of Dodd-Frank, limited in scope, and non-recurring.

The Fed should not be offering low-to-no-interest guaranteed loans to McDonald's, Verizon, and private banks (other than through the Federal deposit system) and I doubt there's any way to stop it from doing that unless there's a periodic, public audit and disclosure system established.

I'll read that link when I get back from class, but how short term are we talking? Are they talking about the discount window because that's a pretty nice feature to have in an economy to provide liquidity on a large scale so that the economy doesn't grind to a halt waiting for money to float around in the system. I agree that the leveraged commercial "banks" shouldn't have been able to use it, but it works pretty well for real banks that take deposits.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 29, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Seriously Rahm, you're still going to be able to afford Yale for your three kids even without the 529 tax break.

NYTimes posted:

Even if many middle-income families save in 529 plans, an administration official, referring to the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Consumer Finances, said that more than 70 percent of the account balances for 529 plans and another option known as Coverdell Education Savings Accounts are held by families with incomes over $200,000. (Those figures also include health savings accounts, but still provide a reasonable best estimate, the administration said.) A report from the Government Accountability Office found that a small percentage of families use 529 plans and Coverdell accounts. And those that do use them have a median income that is three times the median income of families without the accounts.

We're talking about a world in which the majority of Americans have effectively zero savings and you think 529s are meaningful vehicles for the middle class? Come the gently caress on. Instead of preserving tax deductions that benefit the wealthy, transfer that expenditure into, oh, say, direct payments for college like Pell grants and improved need-based financial aid.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Joementum posted:

And from all of the people who were saying Fed audits are only for college libertarians to be smug, crickets.

Fuckin' crickets.

They'll pile on an idea because a Republican proposed it without doing a drat bit of research and then pile on Republicans who do the same thing to Obama.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joementum posted:

I don't know what the issue is, but I am very, very sure that the Fed did not loan $16 trillion to general electric or anyone else. I'd be very interested in some analysis of what the audit actually showed, but that press release throws around trillion so often that something's seriously wrong with whatever they're talking about. It might be technically correct in some sense but I'm sure it's not the sense we think of when we hear $16 trillion loan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

I don't know what the issue is, but I am very, very sure that the Fed did not loan $16 trillion to general electric or anyone else. I'd be very interested in some analysis of what the audit actually showed, but that press release throws around trillion so often that something's seriously wrong with whatever they're talking about. It might be technically correct in some sense but I'm sure it's not the sense we think of when we hear $16 trillion loan.

I think that's a typo in the press release. Page 196 of the GAO report lists the GE commercial paper at $16.1 billion.

I won't pretend to have read that report or understand much of anything about it, but there's the source material.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Oh, the commercial paper loans the Fed made when there was literally no one lending on commercial paper?

Many large companies (particularly those with either lending arms like GM and GE or accounts like Verizon use commercial paper to smooth cash flow issues). Markets froze and those companies would have collapsed - despite being perfectly healthy companies - because they wouldn't have been able to make payroll, have operating funds, etc.

It's basically the perfect example of the problems with auditing the Fed - that's absolutely what they should have been doing at that time, but it looks bad without an understanding of corporate structures that's absent from most people in the US. An audit would turn up more things like that - useful, important things that only look bad if you don't understand modern finance. (Which, in fairness, no one does.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And to that I'd say: great! Turn them up. If it's truly a case of the Fed issuing reasonable loans at a time when nobody else is doing so, then we can have a discussion about that. If it's something happening regularly, we'll be able to address it. That report was made public over four years ago and the foundation of the Fed hasn't crumbled in the interim, so I'm skeptical that a similar, annual report would be damaging.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In other news, the KXL bill is going to pass its cloture vote test tomorrow, after a raft of Democratic amendment votes, as part of an agreement. It will then get a final vote later this week and then Obama will veto it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

And to that I'd say: great! Turn them up. If it's truly a case of the Fed issuing reasonable loans at a time when nobody else is doing so, then we can have a discussion about that. If it's something happening regularly, we'll be able to address it. That report was made public over four years ago and the foundation of the Fed hasn't crumbled in the interim, so I'm skeptical that a similar, annual report would be damaging.

Generally speaking, all government institutions should be transparent, and records should be generated and publicly accessible. I find it repugnant that there's some ideas or information that the public can't be allowed to see or know in due course because information imbalance leads to poorer decisions and we are in theory a government by public consent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

In other news, the KXL bill is going to pass its cloture vote test tomorrow, after a raft of Democratic amendment votes, as part of an agreement. It will then get a final vote later this week and then Obama will veto it.

I lost track, did Bernie's climate change amendment make it through? I mean, I can't imagine it did, but weirder things have happened.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

"We spend money massaging monkeys!"

"We spend money studying how anteaters gently caress!"

I suspect that we won't have a discussion about it because we never seem to have discussions - it'll get played for political points only it's even harder to explain than "we were trying to figure out if massage has effects on the immune system" or "anteaters perform a vital role in the southwestern ecosystem and understanding their reproductive habits allows us to better understand how to maintain ecological diversity."

I'm skeptical we'd see any real benefit compared to its use for Randroidish and Coburnian bullshit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I lost track, did Bernie's climate change amendment make it through? I mean, I can't imagine it did, but weirder things have happened.

Joementum posted:

The Senate tabled the Sanders amendment to the KXL bill, 56-42.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "As you've no doubt heard I'm already rich" ~ Mitt Romney, on why he didn't do a paid speaking tour, post-2012.

Bonus: "As if I needed that", after recalling advice that he grow stubble to look "more sexy".

Run, Mitt, run! :swoon:

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 29, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I love that "tabling" a motion has the complete opposite meaning in the U.S. than it does in the rest of the English-speaking world. Is it a spite thing, like coffee vs. tea, driving on the right side of the road, and on which side of the body the fanny resides?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I love that "tabling" a motion has the complete opposite meaning in the U.S. than it does in the rest of the English-speaking world. Is it a spite thing, like coffee vs. tea, driving on the right side of the road, and on which side of the body the fanny resides?

...where is the "fanny" in the UK? :raise:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Roberts Rules our Order baby.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

Generally speaking, all government institutions should be transparent, and records should be generated and publicly accessible. I find it repugnant that there's some ideas or information that the public can't be allowed to see or know in due course because information imbalance leads to poorer decisions and we are in theory a government by public consent.

That's done, "generally speaking" and "in due course".

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kalman posted:

Oh, the commercial paper loans the Fed made when there was literally no one lending on commercial paper?

Many large companies (particularly those with either lending arms like GM and GE or accounts like Verizon use commercial paper to smooth cash flow issues). Markets froze and those companies would have collapsed - despite being perfectly healthy companies - because they wouldn't have been able to make payroll, have operating funds, etc.

It's basically the perfect example of the problems with auditing the Fed - that's absolutely what they should have been doing at that time, but it looks bad without an understanding of corporate structures that's absent from most people in the US. An audit would turn up more things like that - useful, important things that only look bad if you don't understand modern finance. (Which, in fairness, no one does.)

The other thing people miss when they hear "short term" is that they're thinking on the order of months. Short term in this case also can very easily mean 24 hours or even less. I doubt the Fed really had $16 billion in outstanding loans to GE at any point, and this is a pretty disingenuous way to attack the Fed for performing a service that is pretty decent.

It only rankles people because they think of money the same way people did under the gold standard, and dag nabbit you're just handing out money to lazy bankers for no interest! I gotta pay interest on my loans! They don't understand the function of money in the economy, and how reducing friction through increased liquidity via ultra short term loans is a net benefit for everybody. People have no qualms about using credit cards, but for some reason they have an issue with the Fed providing that exact same function on a larger scale than a private entity would be able to.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 29, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "As you've no doubt heard I'm already rich" ~ Mitt Romney, on why he didn't do a pair speaking tour, post-2012.

Bonus: "As if I needed that", after recalling advice that he grow stubble to look "more sexy".

Alright that's kind of baller.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Berke Negri posted:

Looks like the personality upgrade is taking after all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Berke Negri posted:

Romney 2016: Rich Forever

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Alter Ego posted:

...where is the "fanny" in the UK? :raise:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fanny

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Generally speaking we should have info about how decisions are made, but it seems that some procedural decisions should be kept under wraps to prevent people gaming the system. Should the IRS publish how it flags people to audit? Should the TSA reveal what gets you pulled for extreme probulating? Seems like you'd want to keep that info under wraps, lest a nail file gets on a plane or something.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
It looks like Scott Walker is really trying to up his conservative bonafides by gutting the UW system

Choice quotes, bolding mine:

quote:

Declaring the university system needs to get out from "under the thumb" of state government, Walker said he wants to give the Board of Regents more authority to contract for services and construct buildings without following state rules and processes that other state agencies must. His plan, if approved by the Legislature, would be coupled with a reduction in state aid of nearly 13%. He likened the proposal to the budget cuts that were paired with Act 10, the 2011 law that all but eliminated collective bargaining for most public workers.

Walker, who disclosed Tuesday he had set up a political committee for a potential presidential run, made his UW System announcement as he promoted a separate plan at the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce to provide $220 million in tax-backed bonds to help fund a new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Under Walker's plan, UW schools would continue to operate for two more years under a tuition freeze that has been in place since 2013. That means they would have to cut their programs to account for the dropped funding.

The UW System would have more predictability from year to year to plan for how much state revenue to expect with a block grant and increases tied to inflation, said Walker, who has one son enrolled at UW-Madison and another at Marquette University. Walker attended Marquette but did not earn a degree.

UW System officials welcomed the plan to give them more autonomy — something they have long sought — but warned the cuts would mean fundamental changes in how they operate the system's 26 campuses. "This is going to mean layoffs in all of my schools and colleges," said UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank, calling the reduction likely the largest cut in the system's history.

Walker will formally introduce his plan Feb. 3 as part of the state budget he wants the Republican-controlled Legislature to pass. The state faces a shortfall of $928 million through mid-2017, and lawmakers will spend the next several months working off Walker's plan to balance the budget.

The UW System received $1.18 billion in state taxpayer money for the current fiscal year — less than what it received in 2010-'11. Walker's plan would cut that amount for next year by $150 million, or 12.7%. The $150 million cut would continue for the second year of the budget as well. State tax money makes up about 19% of the UW System's budget, according to the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau. Tuition, federal aid, grants, donations and other payments bring the system's total annual funding to more than $6 billion.

After 2017, the Board of Regents would have the authority to set whatever tuition it saw fit for UW System schools. However, between now and then lawmakers would be free to pass legislation that would extend the tuition freeze or limit the size of increases.

Walker's plan would eliminate state laws governing the UW System. One such law provides faculty with tenure, which protects them from dismissal. Another provides for shared governance, which allows professors and students to have a role in how universities are run. Such matters would be left for the Board of Regents to decide — a better arrangement, said Rep. John Nygren (R-Marinette), co-chairman of the Joint Finance Committee. "Who do we want making those decisions? Legislators who have different perspectives or people in the day-to-day operation of the university?" Nygren said.

And a quote I found hilarious from a follow-up article today:

quote:

"In the future, by not having the limitation of things like shared governance, they might be able to make savings just by asking faculty and staff to consider teaching one more class a semester," Walker told reporters at the Madison hotel.

Hmm yes, because who needs research when you can spend all of your time teaching classes that would normally have dedicated instructors without all of the inevitable layoffs?

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 29, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

420DD Butts posted:

It looks like Scott Walker is really trying to up his conservative bonafides by gutting the UW system

Choice quotes, bolding mine:

And a quote I found hilarious from a follow-up article today:

Hmm yes, because who needs research when you can spend all of your time teaching classes that would normally have dedicated instructors without all of the inevitable layoffs?

If he can cause widespread liberal protests against his administration again it will be a huge win for him in the primary

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Amergin posted:

And from all of the people who were saying Fed audits are only for college libertarians to be smug, crickets.

Fuckin' crickets.

They'll pile on an idea because a Republican proposed it without doing a drat bit of research and then pile on Republicans who do the same thing to Obama.

I too am appalled that there were no comments from liberal goons explaining, then subsequently apologizing for, their blind unfounded hated of a federal reserve audit for a whole two minutes after a possible rebuttal was posted before you called out their deafening silence for its clear hypocrisy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Walker, that non-college-degree having mother fucker is gutting my State more every year. Lopsided head son of a bitch.

That proposal for a new Milwaukee Bucks arena, by the way, is by diverting current tax revenue for a franchise that is consistently in the red. gently caress.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ErIog posted:

It only rankles people because they think of money the same way people did under the gold standard, and dag nabbit you're just handing out money to lazy bankers for no interest!
Or it rankles them because it gives the already rich and powerful a freebie to correct their mistakes while individuals can go and get hosed when their finances get trashed by market forces. If individuals were allowed similar access to those same sorts of funds in a recession, or better yet allowed to convert car or house payments into long term 0% or near 0% loans I wouldn't bitch about it and most probably wouldn't either. Keep the 'playing field' of the economy as level as possible.

IIRC there was some fairly shady poo poo that went down with the Maiden Lane funds the FED used during the bailouts back in 2008-2009. I think they ended up keeping much of the details secret but some stuff did leak out and in at least a few instances they gave away hundreds of millions to already rich people for no good reasons. poo poo like paying for malls or hotel extensions which never even got built in the first place. The End the Fed guys are assholes or useful idiots for other assholes but all that secrecy rubs me the wrong way big time. I'd say make the FED transparent as possible.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Except that (as I explained at length the last time this came up) it wasn't "to correct their mistakes", it was to make sure they could operate normally. Companies often (especially, as I said, companies that have significant lending operations - and mobile carriers do, as they effectively lend each account the carrier subsidy at opening to be paid back over the next 24 months of contract) operate under the assumption that they have access to short term (24 hours to 90 days) low interest lines of credit because the alternative is to simply sit on billions of dollars to make sure that cash flow fluctuations don't wipe you out. People do have access to that sort of credit facility (credit cards, for example) and where that broke down during the crisis the appropriate entities stepped in to work on the issue.

The difference is that if you go bankrupt it sucks for you and your family. If GE can't pay its employees and defaults on long term corporate debt, it fucks the entire world over even worse than it already was.

These companies weren't doing anything wrong and the weird perception that they were is part of why I'm skeptical that the audit the fed nonsense would produce anything but idiocy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Remember the real problem during the 2008 crisis was one of liquidity, as basically every bank and lending institution shut off all credit overnight due to perceived systematic instability.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stereotype posted:

Remember the real problem during the 2008 crisis was one of liquidity, as basically every bank and lending institution shut off all credit overnight due to perceived systematic instability.

Great. In that case, absent the conditions of 2008, a regular audit should turn up nothing interesting.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kalman posted:

"to correct their mistakes", it was to make sure they could operate normally.
That was the common explanation given but I'm not buying it. Many of these companies were playing the credit markets when poo poo blew up and only got bailout money because rules were bent or finagled behind the scenes to throw obscene amounts of cash at them and shore up their balance sheets. Keeping them running for another month or 2 in order to pay their employees wages had nothing to do with it.

Kalman posted:

The difference is that if you go bankrupt it sucks for you and your family. If GE can't pay its employees and defaults on long term corporate debt, it fucks the entire world over even worse than it already was.
Except the masses got hosed anyways when the economy when to poo poo and the housing bubble popped so this argument is trash as far as I'm concerned. If the mega corps and rich get to be made whole when the poo poo hits the fan then so should the average man who also has a significant role in the economy too.

Stereotype posted:

That is the claim but it doesn't pan out since there was too much bad debt. While the big TARP loans and other bailouts did get mostly paid back eventually it was with our own money, which they made money on at our expense, and over a much longer time period that was originally given. Everything about the GFC and the way it was handled was scummy as all hell, and maybe some bailouts were needed, but it could've been FAR differently and effectively.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

Great. In that case, absent the conditions of 2008, a regular audit should turn up nothing interesting.

And a regular investigation into research spending should also turn up nothing interesting, and generally doesn't, but that doesn't stop people from playing politics with it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kalman posted:

And a regular investigation into research spending should also turn up nothing interesting, and generally doesn't, but that doesn't stop people from playing politics with it.

Right, which is why it is probably best to have full disclosure all the time so it's not an event which information comes out.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That was the common explanation given but I'm not buying it.

That's because you have no loving idea how corporate finance works.

RuanGacho posted:

Right, which is why it is probably best to have full disclosure all the time so it's not an event which information comes out.

Works really well in the instance I provided, right? You just make it an event. Call it a yearly Wastebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kalman posted:

To little effect! The Golden Fleece alerts and Tom Coburn's tenure ultimately failed and research funding continues because their populist grandstanding was regarded as both quixotic and idiotic. That doesn't mean that a research funding system where all grants were treated as state secrets would have been better.

• Locked thread