Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
I play republic and Commando is the best class because it destroys everything and can heal. The storyline is a bit meh, but in Warzones you're unstoppable if you play it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some new tidbits coming out of the PAX South Cantina event:

"Dulfy" posted:

New Costume Designer that was teased previously will be coming with patch 3.2 in April (video coming soon courtesy of Baa’nariim)
The decision for action taken against ravagers exploiters finalized this morning. There will be a post from musco about it (no specific timeframe on when this will take action or the post will happen)
They read us Bruce Macleans developer letter which is slated for release on the website in 2 weeks. It’s included in the video that will be uploaded later
There is no plan to change the new slot machine’s drop rate from its current form. They are sort of "afraid" of releasing future slot machines (future slot machines for other cartel reputations) due to the backlash and the controversy created by the community (note: this is generating some controversy, see clarification here)
Two more game expansions before end of the year.
New Togruta race, new stronghold
New planet Ziost in April

First I've heard of a "costume designer"; I would imagine it works a bit like Star Wars Galaxies' method of letting you use the appearances of other pieces of gear over the ones the character is actually wearing. Indifferent about the Togruta race addition, that's been hinted at for a while now anyway.

Ziost is a... logical place to go after the climax of SOR. Hope you guys like ghosts!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thesoldier posted:

I play republic and Commando is the best class because it destroys everything and can heal. The storyline is a bit meh, but in Warzones you're unstoppable if you play it right.

Is the Commando the guy with the big gently caress off gun or the smaller combat rifle looking thing.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Tide posted:

Is the Commando the guy with the big gently caress off gun or the smaller combat rifle looking thing.

Commando has the BFG. Vanguard has the rifle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OzCavalier posted:

That was only during the Beta. Originally only LS became 'Master', while DS became 'General'. However, thousands of nerds wrote thousands of pages of complaints to BioWare, causing the decision to be reversed. Now both LS and DS become 'Master', and the 'General' title was removed.

The same thing happened with Sith Warriros who, originally, were going to get the title of 'Emperor's Wrath' rather than Darth (which was to be Inquisitor only). Spergin' nerds got a-spergin', and BioWare caved... etc

You still get the title in game, but story wise Satele tells you she can't grant it to you

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Okay, I'll be trying out a Trooper. Likely female, for FemShep's voice. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Devorum posted:

Okay, I'll be trying out a Trooper. Likely female, for FemShep's voice. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

I can't stand the feel of commando, but vanguard is fun. Pretty mobile dps in 3.0 and a solid tank.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

koreban posted:

Jedi Knight is your bog standard "chosen one" storyline, however it can be fun to roll dark side, though at the end you get denied a Jedi Master title by the council for being evil..

Any idea if rolling Dark Side on a Consular eventually elicits a similar reaction? I've been playing one for a few weeks and the most anyone says about my rampant, completely-selfish Master-killing is "Well, we know you did your best, honey. btw you're awesome so we're giving you some dusty old title" :shrug:

You do get a pretty awesome line when Vivicar threatens that his death will subsequently kill off the rest of the infected Jedi. You can simply reply with (paraphrasing) "You assume I care." :commissar: On that note, the Female VA for Consular does a really good "disinterested scholar" voice for these sorts of instances.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
After hearing that it was the worst from a lot of people, I find myself enjoying the hell out of Jedi Consular's story way more than Bounty Hunter. Chapter 1 wasn't so bad aside from some low spots (Tatooine), and Chapter 2 is great so far.

It's certainly different, but I don't feel like it was as phoned in as some people say it was.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
From what I remember from two years ago, the only time the Consular sounded 'phoned in' was the light side convo options. I think the direction they gave Nolan North was 'sound emotionless, unattached. that's how jedi are' and he did. His dark side responses are actually good.

Anyway, I started a Sith 007 on..The Ebon Hawk? I think. It was heavy population east coast. My only regret was never finishing the Imperial Agent class quest to the end. So I'm gonna do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Any idea if rolling Dark Side on a Consular eventually elicits a similar reaction? I've been playing one for a few weeks and the most anyone says about my rampant, completely-selfish Master-killing is "Well, we know you did your best, honey. btw you're awesome so we're giving you some dusty old title" :shrug:

You do get a pretty awesome line when Vivicar threatens that his death will subsequently kill off the rest of the infected Jedi. You can simply reply with (paraphrasing) "You assume I care." :commissar: On that note, the Female VA for Consular does a really good "disinterested scholar" voice for these sorts of instances.

In act one that was actually your assignment. You were dispatched to get rid of the problem. Taking them in would be preferred but don't get yourself killed with some sort of dumb ritual that likely won't work. Yes its slowly destroying your soul and taking you to the darkside. For shadows this is what you were supposedly trained to do. The jedi are a bunch of hypocrites and can't call their assassins assassins.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

In act one that was actually your assignment. You were dispatched to get rid of the problem. Taking them in would be preferred but don't get yourself killed with some sort of dumb ritual that likely won't work. Yes its slowly destroying your soul and taking you to the darkside. For shadows this is what you were supposedly trained to do. The jedi are a bunch of hypocrites and can't call their assassins assassins.

Those points make sense. Eerily enough, my toon just so happens to be a Shadow. A tanking Shadow, to be exact, which in retrospect comes off as just a tad paradoxical. Just like the Jedi ways! :v:

Honestly, the best part of the Consular Act 1 endgame (as far as dark ramifications go) is the mail you get if you go dark side for that last decision: A lengthy list of all the masters who have died as a result of killing Vivicar. And then you get to the end and discover that it's only page 1 of 12 :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Then again, it's specifically pointed out for shadows that there's nothing dark-side about stealth and ambush tactics, or even assassination. Most Jedi fight and kill, shadows train to fight with precision strikes and what some would call dishonorable methods, but dishonorable does not mean dark side. The difference is that Sith Assassins enjoy killing.

I just finished Act 1 on my shadow a couple of days ago as pure LS and enjoyed it pretty well. You get to rub it in Morrhage's face that no, he won't be getting his revenge on you, and the first thing you'll do once you get back to Tython is teach more people the shielding ritual and create multiple backups rather than sealing it in a single archive. Self sacrifice does not mean stupidity or naivete.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Honestly, the best part of the Consular Act 1 endgame (as far as dark ramifications go) is [spoiler]the mail you get if you go dark side for that last decision: A lengthy list of all the masters who have died as a result of killing Vivicar. And then you get to the end and discover that it's only page 1 of 12 :stare:

Probably just a bunch of dumb sentinels, no big deal.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I don't understand why Togruta would be the next race when they can't even get the Twi'lek tentacles to work with half the armor in the game.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I can't even imagine how they'll get this

to work with armors that have any sort of enlarged collar-area or extruding flair (let alone the entire issue of helmets) like this one

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They won't. All head items will be automatically be hidden like on Ashara. The forums will explode with rage.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I imagine it will work exactly like Twi'leks, yes. No hoods ever, some hats with lots of clipping, and other hats that cover the whole head where somehow the tentacles are smooshed inside.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Finally got my Powertech BH to Tattooine, gonna take a break and level an alt while some of my friends decide what to play.* I've decided to hop on the BEST STORY IMPERIAL AGENT train!

With that in mind, I know that the major difference between Operative and Sniper is ranged / melee. One of my biggest bugbears leveling is when you start hitting areas that throw multiple silvers at you - which AC handles those better? Do either of them get decent CC like the sorcerer being able to take people out of the fight for 60?

* Y'alls advice wrt how to level a powertech has been mad helpful, I appreciate it!

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.

Devorum posted:

Just forewarning if you're playing on the Jedi Covenant server, every player is a jedi or a jedi. You won't have a problem getting into PUGs for warzones or flashpoints, but you're going to be the minority.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thesoldier posted:

Just forewarning if you're playing on the Jedi Covenant server, every player is a jedi or a jedi. You won't have a problem getting into PUGs for warzones or flashpoints, but you're going to be the minority.

Specifically, two out of three jedi are sentinels. Consulars seem pretty evenly divided between sages and shadows.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sometimes i wish you could change your AC choice. I went commando, and am sort of regretting it. I like to be able to run around a bit more while shooting, and they have a lot of channeled abilities. I suppose I'll get used to it...or maybe try the Assault spec and see how that plays.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I started playing this a couple days ago; I'm not playing super-seriously but expect I'll be sticking with it at least a couple days a week for the next while.

I went with a chiss powertech (more rocket punches) for now but am toying with a sith warrior alt. I'm, like, level 10 but if you want a total scrub lowbie BH in That's No Goon my character's name is Agostonis. I did a search about for anyone from TNG online, 0 results. :negative:

So far one of my favourite things is seeing people awkwardly flop their podracers onto platforms in the space auction house in the Imperial space station shopping mall. It really never gets old to me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I just finished Chapter One with my Shadow. Even if it's technically sub-optimal, I said "screw it" and went Light Side for all the Save the Master/Kill the Master choices...except on Taris, because gently caress that guy...including saving Parkanas at the end of the Chapter. I went Dark Side on every other choice to represent my girl focusing her will exclusively on her mission...beating the Plague. Everything else has her slowly losing it to the Dark Side. By keeping Show Dark Side Corruption checked you even get a character who looks as weak and sick as they say she is after each use of the Shielding Ritual.

It's kept me stuck at Dark Side II for ages, but who cares? It makes for a better story, I think.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That Show Dark Side Corruption setting is also fun for pulling a Palpatine (aka unchecking the box) every time you have to go speak to the council in person.

"Why no, everything's fine. Yes, it truly is a shame about those masters... :devil:"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

That Show Dark Side Corruption setting is also fun for pulling a Palpatine (aka unchecking the box) every time you have to go speak to the council in person.

"Why no, everything's fine. Yes, it truly is a shame about those masters... :devil:"

The Jedi order: Millennia of obliviousness

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just fired up the launched to install a bunch of patches since I havent played in probably 6 months. A few questions, where do I go for the Galactic Stronghold stuff and is there anything different about the F2P model for preferred members?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Rad Valtar posted:

Just fired up the launched to install a bunch of patches since I havent played in probably 6 months. A few questions, where do I go for the Galactic Stronghold stuff and is there anything different about the F2P model for preferred members?

The Crew Skill area on fleet is now the Stronghold and Crew Skill Area, there's a quest there that'll give you some decorations as a reward as soon as you enter your SH, and you can repeat it on every 15+ toon you have. Can't think of any real changes to being Preferred in the last six months, I think it's the same.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Only downside would be the whole credit cap since a lot of items for strongholds are rather expensive, as are unlocking non DK shs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
You can also access strongholds through billboard things in market areas. The whole thing is a huge credit sink and will rapidly deplete your wallet!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Finally got my Powertech BH to Tattooine, gonna take a break and level an alt while some of my friends decide what to play.* I've decided to hop on the BEST STORY IMPERIAL AGENT train!

With that in mind, I know that the major difference between Operative and Sniper is ranged / melee. One of my biggest bugbears leveling is when you start hitting areas that throw multiple silvers at you - which AC handles those better? Do either of them get decent CC like the sorcerer being able to take people out of the fight for 60?

Both Agent classes get a 60-second stun that works on droids only.

Operatives also get another 60-second stun for non-droids that can only be used from stealth, ie. before the fight starts. You use it either for disabling specific enemies before the fight starts, or making it easier to sneak around stuff and avoid fights entirely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
TOR's been good fun for a couple of months, but I think I'm going to cancel my subscription now. Had a good amount of fun starting a bounty hunter and getting her up to 60, but there's nothing to do once I'm there and my playing of a second character is petering out on Hoth. It was fun for a bit, but TOR still has a lot of issues with UI and design, not to mention the game's habit of doing strange things to my UI and resetting my graphics to minimum at random.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Cythereal posted:

TOR's been good fun for a couple of months, but I think I'm going to cancel my subscription now. Had a good amount of fun starting a bounty hunter and getting her up to 60, but there's nothing to do once I'm there and my playing of a second character is petering out on Hoth. It was fun for a bit, but TOR still has a lot of issues with UI and design, not to mention the game's habit of doing strange things to my UI and resetting my graphics to minimum at random.

I hope TOR kicks up its release schedule a bit. A lot of games have way faster turnarounds than TOR, which keeps people playing for longer. A revamped leveling game with dynamic questing zones would definitely get me back.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I logged last night purely to pick up the Axe from the Cartel Market. As it was the first time I had logged on in a week I think its fair to say Im not going to be very active for the next few weeks. Like many, I really enjoy SWTOR... but there just isnt anything to do at end game now. drat shame. Guess Ill go play GW2... get my fix for pretty barbie princess dressup there.

Really Im just upset that there is no reason to run Terror from Beyond any more. :p

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Look at all you people who just lost the heart to play the game without my drunken orders.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

Look at all you people who just lost the heart to play the game without my drunken orders.

Also you can play other games where theres 115/458 goons online at 8pm on a wednesday.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

You joke, but drunkenly playing with you and the rest of the guild is mostly what I like about this game at this point. Now that that doesn't seem to be happening (and because I'm firmly in the claws of FF14, which does seem to have lots of drunks playing), I think I'm gonna lock myself outside the ultimate door and unsub for a little while too.

But I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if people start doing poo poo again I'll come back!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Also you can play other games where theres 115/458 goons online at 8pm on a wednesday.

I like to think I'm playing a little game called "life" my friend. Still drunk, of course.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I like to think I'm playing a little game called "life" my friend. Still drunk, of course.

I hope so, that board game is boring as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Second Life isn't real, you know.

• Locked thread