Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Seriously, play the Drakensangs, they're loving fntastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I got a ways into I think 2 of the Drakensangs, they seemed pretty decent but the combat was...weird, and the stories seemed like they might be going somewhere but hadn't by the point I got into them, and could have very well never went anywhere(I think the ones I played were the first one and the river based one).

Edit: I've also been playing Lords of Xulima recently. I think I like it? Although it does that really dumb thing that a lot of oldschool type RPGs do where the beginning of the game is as hard as nails and then once you get a bit in the game becomes really easy, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine so I dislike that part about it very much.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jesus gently caress does Valkyria Chronicles have long battles. It wouldn't be bad if I was able to fast forward or skip enemy actions like in Fire Emblem. It took around an hour and a half to finish the last battle, and I got a B rank for it so I know it wasn't taking so long because I sucked.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Now you see why everyone faces the temptation of just scout rushing or smoke bombing to the flag in two turns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of Chronicles, how about that chapter 7, huh? I just beat it and god drat, what horrible design. First it's really dull for ten turns as you wait for the lumbering tank to loving do something. Then suddenly, reinforcements, and all your units begin dying while you still have to wait for the tank to do something.

I managed to pass it first try with only one casualty (RIP Hector), but it really feels like I was at the mercy of the AI there. I only passed because for some reason they chose not to kill my guys on just the right turns. And even then I had to really game the system on my turns so I didn't instantly die to the retaliating fire. It didn't feel like I won at all.

Is there a trick? Or was the trick exactly what I did, i.e. hide behind my tank, keep pumping my one lancer left alive full of ammo with a medic and fire away, hoping I don't just die on the enemy turn. I do admit it managed to instill a real feeling of hopelessness into me similar to what I imagine the soldiers were feeling though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of Chronicles, how about that chapter 7, huh? I just beat it and god drat, what horrible design. First it's really dull for ten turns as you wait for the lumbering tank to loving do something. Then suddenly, reinforcements, and all your units begin dying while you still have to wait for the tank to do something.

I managed to pass it first try with only one casualty (RIP Hector), but it really feels like I was at the mercy of the AI there. I only passed because for some reason they chose not to kill my guys on just the right turns. And even then I had to really game the system on my turns so I didn't instantly die to the retaliating fire. It didn't feel like I won at all.

Is there a trick? Or was the trick exactly what I did, i.e. hide behind my tank, keep pumping my one lancer left alive full of ammo with a medic and fire away, hoping I don't just die on the enemy turn. I do admit it managed to instill a real feeling of hopelessness into me similar to what I imagine the soldiers were feeling though.

Climb up the ladders on the side and back, then lob grenades down its exhaust ports.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, you're supposed to shoot the debris in front of it so it uses up its mega cannon to remove it, making the exhaust ports visible. The only thing your lancers should be doing is firing at the turrets, but even then just slap a defense order on your scout so he can survive and throw a grenade.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, of course, I was supposed to intuit that grenades work despite them hammering home the point that lancers beat tanks.

I did some reading up and apparently, the valkyrie will never leave the tank's side once she gets there, and that's why she wasn't killing me, and that is in fact how you survive the mission. Too bad this is not communicated to you at all and you actually see her moving (and probably destroying your units) on the enemy phase earlier! Ugh, just rotten design. How can a mission simultaneously be super boring yet incredibly dangereous?

Oh well, it's over now and I still can't stop playing so the game has to be pretty good.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

SelenicMartian posted:

The ARMs can be upgraded a limited number of times. Brad is the guy with 100% hit ability? Never boost his weapons' accuracy and put it all in power.

Lucky Card every monster boss for double XP. Liz and Ard and their colleagues tend to run away repeatedly and leave you with zero reward, so the cards are a waste on them, and you won't be able to grind for the item for a while. Double boss XP will let you skip most random battles which are awful.

Don't expect to have any impact on the plot for the entire first disc. WA3 is infinitely better written because even when they retreat and recycle bosses they at least acknowledge that heroes do prevent the villains from doing poo poo the easy way. WA2 will poo poo on you for at least 20 hours.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Look up how to unlock Lilka's upgraded spells, because iirc it's kinda obscure and they really, really help (especially if you don't want to use The Most Annoying Character).

Also, yeah, prepare for some translation fun. Just accept that sometimes things don't make any sense. The experience is a bit like having a weird dream!

Thanks guys. I'm still going through the prologues, but I'll keep it all in mind. The translation's already gotten pretty bizarre, but it's still in 'stilted 90s JRPG' land instead of the insanity I know is coming. At least I think Lilka occasionally not making a lick of sense is intentional.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

(especially if you don't want to use The Most Annoying Character).

Who is this, Tim? I never really thought badly of him, just that he was a little bland. If you weren't using Ashley, Brad, and Kanon at all times, though, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Everyone should play Alpha Protocol. It's one of the best WRPGs of the last generation, basically everything Mass Effect should have been set in a cool modern day spy thriller. It didn't really get its due because people were expecting it to be a cover shooter with an RPG tacked on instead of an RPG with a cover shooter tacked on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alpha Protocol's first level also kinda sucks rear end. The game doesn't really hit its stride until post Saudi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol from start to finish and I never got why people hated the gameplay, it wasn't terribly balanced but it was actually pretty fun and punching everyone in the throat has hilarious.

The only thing which really stuck out for me was the frequent mood changes between missions and subplots which never went anywhere, you have this super grim and bleak conversation in a frosty Moscow park with an enigmatic spymaster at midnight about 'it's not going to end well for anyone' than a few hours later you're helping a comically insane 'secret agent' torture a guy to find his car keys. I mean all those scenes are great by themselves but I didn't think it all gelled terribly well together in the end

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If I remember right AP was originally going to be a lot more serious, but they threw in the spy movie parody stuff later on. It's not necessarily a bad thing though because Heck, Brayko, and smarmy douchebag Thorton are great.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 28, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol from start to finish and I never got why people hated the gameplay, it wasn't terribly balanced but it was actually pretty fun and punching everyone in the throat has hilarious.

The only thing which really stuck out for me was the frequent mood changes between missions and subplots which never went anywhere, you have this super grim and bleak conversation in a frosty Moscow park with an enigmatic spymaster at midnight about 'it's not going to end well for anyone' than a few hours later you're helping a comically insane 'secret agent' torture a guy to find his car keys. I mean all those scenes are great by themselves but I didn't think it all gelled terribly well together in the end

Alpha Protocol plays almost exactly like Mass Effect but Sega hosed up by releasing it after Mass Effect 2 which put all of its energy into tight shooting controls.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alpha Protocol is art

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Alpha Protocol's first level also kinda sucks rear end. The game doesn't really hit its stride until post Saudi.

Yeah, the stages after Saudi are great, but I gotta say the moment I realized AP was good poo poo was actually in Saudi my first time through. I rolled a recruit and was trying to puzzle out how to sneak past the guards who would invariably gently caress me up if I got caught. I monitored their pathing for a while, timed my poo poo, and slipped past them like a superspy and it felt so good.

al-azad posted:

Alpha Protocol plays almost exactly like Mass Effect but Sega hosed up by releasing it after Mass Effect 2 which put all of its energy into tight shooting controls.

They never woulda made street date anyway, AP was rushed out the gate and it still came out half a year after ME2.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I don't find the tone of Alpha protocol to be that inconsistent — the story in every hub is basically "the stakes are really high, things are kind of dark, and you're not going to be able to save everyone," with a few more lighthearted bits thrown in to keep it from being too unremittingly bleak. I do think it makes the most sense narratively to do the hubs in this order: Hong Kong, Russia, Italy. That puts the more lighthearted Heck silliness toward the beginning of the adventure and puts Thornton either letting a museum full of innocent people get blown up or getting an innocent girl that was depending on him killed right before the climactic final assault on the bad guys. It also lets you poison Brayko's cocaine before you fight him because gently caress doing that boss fight otherwise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I did Rome first and it had this really nice sense of, "You're in way over your head, pal." But yeah, Marburg does feel more like the penultimate antagonist.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

corn in the bible posted:

Seriously, play the Drakensangs, they're loving fntastic.
I played like part of the first Drakensang release and it was pretty much a D&D.docx game, I don't remember anything special or fun.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Amppelix posted:

Oh, of course, I was supposed to intuit that grenades work despite them hammering home the point that lancers beat tanks.

I did some reading up and apparently, the valkyrie will never leave the tank's side once she gets there, and that's why she wasn't killing me, and that is in fact how you survive the mission. Too bad this is not communicated to you at all and you actually see her moving (and probably destroying your units) on the enemy phase earlier! Ugh, just rotten design. How can a mission simultaneously be super boring yet incredibly dangereous?

Oh well, it's over now and I still can't stop playing so the game has to be pretty good.
I read somewhere that this battle was designed to make people buy the strategy guide, which probably isn't true but is quite funny. I read up on how to survive before playing it, because I heard it was difficult and would rather do it in one go than spend loads of time that I don't have working out how to do it myself. Also it sounds like we're playing this at almost the same pace, I'm at chapter 11 now and still enjoying it a lot

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

I read somewhere that this battle was designed to make people buy the strategy guide, which probably isn't true but is quite funny. I read up on how to survive before playing it, because I heard it was difficult and would rather do it in one go than spend loads of time that I don't have working out how to do it myself. Also it sounds like we're playing this at almost the same pace, I'm at chapter 11 now and still enjoying it a lot

I refuse to start any RPG without first having read FAQs or whatnot online. Yes, I'm one of those guys.

Sometimes I will start a blind run and enjoy myself, until at some point I realise I missed something and my OCD/hoarding kicks in and I restart...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If Chapter 7 is an indicator of people needing strategy guides, games have gotten way too easy as poo poo on a people level.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Paperhouse posted:

Personally, I refuse to use an FAQ unless I absolutely have to. The fact that they expected you to purchase a strategy guide for the battle system kinda feels like a bad marketing decision.

Besides, video games are ridiculously easy these days.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 29, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Alpha Protocol all right to just install and play, no need for mods or unofficial patches or anything? I always heard it was a pretty janky game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dunbar posted:

Is Alpha Protocol all right to just install and play, no need for mods or unofficial patches or anything? I always heard it was a pretty janky game.

I think there's maybe a couple of ini edits that you might want to make if you want the aiming to feel better, but other than that I don't there's any mods or unofficial patches for Alpha Protocol.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dunbar posted:

Not that it couldn't benefit from them, but nobody has made any fan patches for it as of yet :shrug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dunbar posted:

There are no mods and it really isn't that janky. The only thing that comes close to a major bug that you should know about is don't sneak into the Moscow embassy through the roof, because the game will consider that as you shooting up the place. I've heard enemies can end up not respawning if you restart from a checkpoint but that didn't happen to me.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Accordion Man posted:

There are no mods and it really isn't that janky. The only thing that comes close to a major bug that you should know about is don't sneak into the Moscow embassy through the roof, because the game will consider that as you shooting up the place. I've heard enemies can end up not respawning if you restart from a checkpoint but that didn't happen to me.

On the other hand, this always happened to me whenever I reloaded a checkpoint. So YMMV.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Alpha Protocol's jank factor is VERY overstated. It's not really buggy at all and should run just fine for most people. What's janky? Aiming is a little rough and controls can be a little floaty, and graphically it looked kind of dated even when it was released. Again, if you've played the first Mass Effect this should all feel very familiar to you.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Dunbar posted:

It's janky in the sense that the combat mechanics aren't balanced very well. If you focus on stealth, by the end you can literally run around as a ghost and kill people in plain sight.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd actually argue that it plays better than ME 1.

Erebus posted:

It's janky in the sense that the combat mechanics aren't balanced very well. If you focus on stealth, by the end you can literally run around as a ghost and kill people in plain sight.
And that's what makes the gameplay fun, just break that poo poo and become a throat-punching ghost or shotgun people in the face and stomp them while they're down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Erebus posted:

Oh no, you're overpowered in an RPG at the endgame what a shock.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alpha Protocol would have been a lot more interesting if it were in literally any other setting than a modern spy game. It held my interest for one playthrough but I've never seen all the possible permutations because that kind of genre is so boring to me, personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Oh no, you're overpowered in an RPG at the endgame what a shock.

To be honest it's not even endgame, it's basically the moment you get even partway up the tree it's pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z6Y8o6KPfs

Very ridiculous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dunbar posted:

You might have to roll back your video drivers if you're on an Nvidia card.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

There's also the pistol tree, which when maxed lets you pause time and then instantly fire up to 6 headshots in a game when there's rarely more than 6 enemies coming at you at once and basically every boss will fall over if you shoot them in the head 6 times. It made the Championchick fight really fun, actually.

Fight starts, boom 6 headshots. Championchick dies.

Thornton :smug:: Gold medal in shooting.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Baby Babbeh posted:

He makes Solid Snake look like a 5-year old with a bandana and pepper spray.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

All the skill trees are silly. Its almost like RPGs let you level up and get stronger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baby Babbeh posted:

There's also the pistol tree, which when maxed lets you pause time and then instantly fire up to 6 headshots in a game when there's rarely more than 6 enemies coming at you at once and basically every boss will fall over if you shoot them in the head 6 times. It made the Championchick fight really fun, actually.

Fight starts, boom 6 headshots. Championchick dies.

Not to mention it's very easy to get the Level-3 silencer in one of the first round of Rome missions. If you have some basic stealth-oriented skills unlocked, you can do that mission and grab it easily within the first post-Saudi hour of gameplay.