Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ok thanks insurance company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:catstare:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

He looks happy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wow loving hell

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

holocaust bloopers posted:

Guess who didn't get any buffalo wings or cheesesteak.

you monster!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Guess who didn't get any buffalo wings or cheesesteak.

RIP Holocaust Bloopers, killed by being stingy.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
yeah the biggest bullshit was when the vet sent me a bill for killing my cat

wasn't happy about that one let me tell you

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

code:
Status  	Submitted Amount 		 Reimbursement Amount
Complete	$1,111.08	 	  	 $472.58
Complete	$5,080.90	 	  	 $0.00	 
Complete	$1,478.25	 	  	 $285.00
Complete	$1,018.57	 	  	 $0.00
Cabot's cancer cost us $8,689. His insurance finally reimburses us... $758.

They did end up losing money on him though because we only paid $527 to get him insured.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to say that Dexter's vet was really, really awesome about helping Dexter go to his final rest. she gave me sedatives to administer to him around an hour beforehand and then came with an assistant to my place. they gave him a catheter in his arm and administered another drug that made him loopy and relaxed, then I got to take him to the back yard which was one of Dexter's favorite spots. she eventually joined us and I held him over my shoulder as he liked to be carried and he was administered his final drug. it was incredibly peaceful and I will gladly pay the charges.

knowing a few vets in my life, I know their pay isn't actually the best and a lot of them do it out of love for the animals.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have to say that Dexter's vet was really, really awesome about helping Dexter go to his final rest. she gave me sedatives to administer to him around an hour beforehand and then came with an assistant to my place. they gave him a catheter in his arm and administered another drug that made him loopy and relaxed, then I got to take him to the back yard which was one of Dexter's favorite spots. she eventually joined us and I held him over my shoulder as he liked to be carried and he was administered his final drug. it was incredibly peaceful and I will gladly pay the charges.

:)

I plan on calling an at-home euthanasia vet when OC's time comes. holding dexter was a great idea but oc doesn't like to be held so I'll probably put him on his favorite blanket & give him scritches. hopefully that won't be for a long time, though

good on you, gatos

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

beatlegs posted:

:)

I plan on calling an at-home euthanasia vet when OC's time comes. holding dexter was a great idea but oc doesn't like to be held so I'll probably put him on his favorite blanket & give him scritches. hopefully that won't be for a long time, though

good on you, gatos

thanks man. I hope OC lives to be a Guiness book of records old cat who stays vigorous for his entire life.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
A family friend came to our house and didn't even charge for the drugs. We insisted but he wouldn't have anything but a coke.

I'm eternally grateful.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sweet As Sin posted:

A family friend came to our house and didn't even charge for the drugs. We insisted but he wouldn't have anything but a coke.

I'm eternally grateful.

that's so nice. Gollum was just awesome.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

code:

They did end up losing money on him though because we only paid $527 to get him insured.

ouch. i always figured pet insurance was pretty much worthless. i need to get rid of mine and just put the money in a savings account.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is beautiful. :cry:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

code:

bullshit!
$5081 line item? denied lol!

what was that charge for anyway? :ohdear:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

it was incredibly peaceful and I will gladly pay the charges

:unsmith:

Ours was a home visit from our usual feline-only vet who is a nice lady and a good vet, but the euth didn't go exactly according to plan and I don't like to think about it. also why i only just now filed the insurance claim for it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

The fees for me to insure all three cats, being seniors, would cost me way too much a month. They notoriously don't cover expenses. We have savings, I guess.

If and when they need to put down, I will do what Gatos did. A vet to the house, where they are low stress and can be comfortable and loved and pet.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
On a happier note, I am leash training Mischy (and other commands, he knows "sit" now), and we spent an hour exploring. He even met a dog and was pretty good! no growls, just a poofy tail but petting and praise relaxed him.

I looked like the Cat Queen, Gordo, Ne and the neighbor's cat were following us.

The Gordo (badly) took a selfie

Pink harness was the only one in the pet store, but I think it suits Mischy's coloring

Good boy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pachinko's euth was a loving nightmare and that's why I insisted on getting sedatives for Dex beforehand. I highly recommend everyone here do the same when the time comes. 0.5 ml of buprenorphine squired into the mouth around 45 minutes beforehand makes a super relaxed cat. when they shaved his arm and inserted the catheter he made a bit of a squeak but that was it. they then administered another drug which is named (I poo poo you not) Kitty Magic which made him super loopy. it made everything very, very easy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

bullshit!
$5081 line item? denied lol!

what was that charge for anyway? :ohdear:

that claim was the scans, amputation and 3 nights at the surgery place. because it was all the same condition (cancer) for which they had already paid the 2013 max, they denied it all. then for 2014 they paid the yearly max for cancer for the followup checks and chemo, the lifetime max for euthanasia, and denied eveything else.

i know everyone recommends pet insurance but this experience has turned me off it.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
That's a load of poo poo.

CoT, you're good cat people.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

that claim was the scans, amputation and 3 nights at the surgery place. because it was all the same condition (cancer) for which they had already paid the 2013 max, they denied it all. then for 2014 they paid the yearly max for cancer for the followup checks and chemo, the lifetime max for euthanasia, and denied eveything else.

i know everyone recommends pet insurance but this experience has turned me off it.

This is going to make me double check my Trupanion policy. I don't think they have a cap but it's not like insurance companies are known for their compassion.

You're all good cat people by the way. :3:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

i think my cats have finally come to an understanding. kozmo understands that maui is a chump, and maui understands that koz doesn't play-fight

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
dogface got into the candy bowl today (the one into which we have just dumped various candies that family gave us during the holidays).

no chocolate was missing, thankfully. even more surprising, most of the other candy was carefully placed around the house - a piece on our bed, on the futon, in the basement, on the couch, etc. - without being chewed on or opened. he did chew through a tube of some english-equivalent of those candy hearts with lovely compliments on them, and ate about half.

so, now we've got a corgi with a sugar high. this is a special kind of hell.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Golden-i posted:

so, now we've got a corgi with a sugar high. this is a special kind of hell.

:justpost:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Everything I have ever read has said that pet insurance is a scam or a waste of money at best. This is the only place I've heard anyone speak positively of it. I was baffled as to why.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'll report on Truepanion reimbursements at a future date. the vets and staff all said they actually pay out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lulu status: sad and wanting pets a lot.

also: fat

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lulu status: sad and wanting pets a lot.

also: fat

What's Lulu and Dexter's stories? Rescue cats?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yeah I'm closer to Columbus but I can make the drive to make sure dude gets a good home. smokey is like 9-10 years old, I'll double check tonight.

Update: She's still not ready, my girlfriend asked her about it. Sorry.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What's Lulu and Dexter's stories? Rescue cats?

they were found being birthed in Minneapolis by a feral mother. all were ginger tabbies except Lulu, who was the runt of the litter. during the last couple weeks of my old cat Pachinko's life, I saw them at my vet's up for future adoption ( they were days old at the time). after Pachinko passed, I decided to take in Lulu and my ex chose Dexter. the rest is history.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Fort warms is "out for delivery" somewhere between here and Tennessee.

(Tennessee is not near here)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

they were found being birthed in Minneapolis by a feral mother. all were ginger tabbies except Lulu, who was the runt of the litter. during the last couple weeks of my old cat Pachinko's life, I saw them at my vet's up for future adoption ( they were days old at the time). after Pachinko passed, I decided to take in Lulu and my ex chose Dexter. the rest is history.

They're brother and sister? And Lulu went from runt to fat? Nice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dexter is a real smart boy and he gets really antsy, so last week I got him a harness and leash so I could take him out into the back yard. At first he hated it, but now he totally gets the "if I allow the big thing that feeds me to put this on me, I get to go outside". He's really liking his adventures.

quoting first pic of Dexter on his leash from over 4 years ago

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

They're brother and sister? And Lulu went from runt to fat? Nice.

yeah she was the first born, and the most fearless of the kittens. but my ex had them declawed against my wishes and it changed her personality so much she acts like a nervous wreck most of the time. I still am loving mad about that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

why the gently caress is declawing still legal in this country? in addition to the pain and mutilation the ability to maul you if you rub their belly is a key part of cattitude

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mission's on fire, that's not what I meant by raise hell, Dexter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shifty Pony posted:

why the gently caress is declawing still legal in this country? in addition to the pain and mutilation the ability to maul you if you rub their belly is a key part of cattitude

there was an episode of cat from hell where the idiots had all their furniture covered up because the cat was scratching their poo poo and generally going insane. they were all "duhh we're going to have to get rid of her or have her declawed."Jackson Galaxy says "hey you should get a scratching post and a place for the cat to look out the window" and boom that was it. iirc the reason they didn't have a cat post was because "they're ugly"