Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just got my Wii U today, and this is one of my first games. I've never played Smash Brothers before. What's the best way to play with goons? My Nintendo ID is omgitsbees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

mabels big day posted:

People should play characters in smash because they like them outside of smash, not because they think they're good. And I don't think most people who play Rosalina or ZSS actually like or appreciate their characters outside of smash, mostly because they don't have much likeability outside of smash. That's why I ask

Samus is so cool you have 2 choices of how to play her. I like the one that's fast.

I still haven't played another game with Rosalina even though I own 3 of them in my backlog. I just liked hitting things with a star that makes cute noises.

Smash characters are fun, so you should have fun, even if you have fun with characters that end up being high tier.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
studies have shown that you cannot have fun with high tier characters, hence "for fun" and "for glory"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do yo ugo about playing challenges? Or unlocking them I guess.

Also it's been a while since i played a smash and i'm confused as to what buttons I should be pressing for what. Is there a tutorial or a quick HELP anyweres :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You complete a challenge by fulfilling their conditions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isn't this the reason you play Lucina and I play Olimar?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All I'm saying is, if you do something like play Ness, but have never played Earthbound, then you're beyond hope.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Yes My Lore

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mabels big day posted:

At the very least, appreciation of the character is required. smash is first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo, and to play a random character you don't even know is to disrespect that character and franchise.

mabels big day posted:

All I'm saying is, if you do something like play Ness, but have never played Earthbound, then you're beyond hope.

These are the most important posts in this or any Smash thread.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

mabels big day posted:

All I'm saying is, if you have never played Earthbound, then you're beyond hope.

This is more like it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Isn't this the reason you play Lucina and I play Olimar?

Sure, that doesn't mean the rule has to apply to everyone though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

most of the people who play Falcon have never touched an F-Zero game

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

And that is straight up hosed.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

what if i played 2 hours of earthbound zero, then accidentally exited out of the window and never touched it again

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

what if i played 2 hours of earthbound zero, then accidentally exited out of the window and never touched it again

you don't even play ness so it's not an issue.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i play ness in project m and melee

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i play ness in project m and melee

One of those isn't even a real game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I play Marth in Melee and Brawl and I don't like Marth's games. The only one I like that actually has him has him as DLC.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I play Marth in Melee and Brawl and I don't like Marth's games. The only one I like that actually has him has him as DLC.

even if you did play the old fire emblem games I still wouldn't respect you playing marth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

They are both real and fun games

you must learn to get over your complex regarding produrrject M and learn to enjoy all forms of Smash mbd

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

people get super mad at Ness's downthrow fair fair combo so I wonder how long it'll be for people to start complaining about regular Samus's dash attack into upair upair up b

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Your brain will whisper mains in your ear, and guide you towards this fighter or that, but your heart knows the truth. Listen to its wisdom, and know your true soul smash.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingofSprings posted:

My shameful secret, my main is from a game I have never played. Yet, I could never leave Captain Falcon behind. He has taught me so much. He taught me I must show my moves. He gave me courage, gave me strength, gave me glory.

My previous main was Pikachu though, and I have definitely played a lot of Pokemon. Perhaps too much, I mean, I caught 'em all. Kinda want to learn to use a Pokemon in SSB4 but I can't get into any, I miss Brawl Pikachu so much.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

Your brain will whisper mains in your ear, and guide you towards this fighter or that, but your heart knows the truth. Listen to its wisdom, and know your true soul smash.

This.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

mabels big day posted:

That's not a very nice thing to say about melee

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They are both real and fun games

you must learn to get over your complex regarding produrrject M and learn to enjoy all forms of Smash mbd

i legitimately haven't played melee in probably at least 7 years.

and yeah, lemme just fire up this extremely illegal mod of brawl, which is completely disrespectful towards sakurai, made explicitly for the purpose of trying to "fix" sakurai's "lovely" game. no loving thanks.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Reiley posted:

Lots of wisdom in this thread right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

and yeah, lemme just fire up this extremely illegal mod of brawl, which is completely disrespectful towards sakurai, made explicitly for the purpose of trying to "fix" sakurai's "lovely" game. no loving thanks.

Project M has done nothing but sell copies of and breath new life into an outdated and honestly mediocre game. lmao at there being anything illegal about it.

Have you seen what it does to Ike? You can jump out of his side B, it makes him incredibly fun to play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mabels big day posted:

Top-tier Sakurai dick riding up in this bitch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've played Ness since he first appeared in Smash Bros and it made me go back and play Earthbound on VC even though I never played it back in the SNES days.

Am I OK now? I'm still allowed to play Smaaaaaash Bros with Ness, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Trent posted:

I've played Ness since he first appeared in Smash Bros and it made me go back and play Earthbound on VC even though I never played it back in the SNES days.

Yes, enjoy him being a top ten character in this, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3ds

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Trent posted:

I'll allow it, for now.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, enjoy him being a top ten character in this, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3ds

doesn't matter I'm still terrible

:negative:

It is nice knowing my character of choice is doing well on the pro scene though

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

mabels big day posted:

it's okay, just delete the rom within 24 hours of downloading it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on competitive videos/streams that have decent/not lovely commentary? I've looked at a bunch of stuff on youtube, but so much of it is pretty much just two dudes talking irrelevant poo poo over the match (very distracting) and a bunch of hilarious in-jokes. :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mabels big day posted:

People should play characters in smash because they like them outside of smash, not because they think they're good. And I don't think most people who play Rosalina or ZSS actually like or appreciate their characters outside of smash, mostly because they don't have much likeability outside of smash. That's why I ask
people should do what they have fun doing actually :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mabels big day posted:

I wish I hadn't played earthbound so I could main Ness, just for u

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

people should do what they have fun doing actually :)

if they have fun disrespecting the very important characters of Nintendo's history, then they're just degenerates.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

Any suggestions on competitive videos/streams that have decent/not lovely commentary?

When you find this unicorn let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Your Computer posted:

Any suggestions on competitive videos/streams that have decent/not lovely commentary? I've looked at a bunch of stuff on youtube, but so much of it is pretty much just two dudes talking irrelevant poo poo over the match (very distracting) and a bunch of hilarious in-jokes. :(

I generally like xanadu's announcers but if you don't find them funny then I could see how they'd be grating.

• Locked thread