Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

tatersyum posted:

RIP Archeage. The greatest dumpster fired I have ever played :911:

What a ride it has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It's the greatest dumpster fire I've ever even just witnessed. It was an honor to :coffeepal: for a few months there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I made lots of friends at least

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Eonwe posted:

I made lots of friends at least

Just never go to Iceland with them. You can never be too sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dirk the Average posted:

Just never go to Iceland with them. You can never be too sure.

thats not even in america!!!!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Well it was fun:

I bought an Archeum pack to get into alpha, played for 3 days and only logged in again some weeks ago to give a goon my store credits, which promptly got me banned. 8 days later I was re-instated and got a free month as apology which I will never consume.....best money I ever spent, would do so again.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

anyone want my properties before they collapse? I've got a thatched in two crowns+cinderstone and a large farm in solzreed. You'll have to provide the appraisal certs (Im assuming you don't need patron to use appraisal certs)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's your in game name? Been looking for a place to put down a gazebo, might go for that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Archeage can be a blast at the right times. Would be interested in joining you all from time to time.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

anyone want my properties before they collapse? I've got a thatched in two crowns+cinderstone and a large farm in solzreed. You'll have to provide the appraisal certs (Im assuming you don't need patron to use appraisal certs)

Update since a couple people expressed interest: the two crowns thatched collapses in ~6 hours, I'll be idling in-game for a bit so message Flavahbeast if you want it or any of the others

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Last call, if anyone wants any of my houses log in before 11pm EST and message Flavahbeast and give me an appraisal scroll

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is this game still a hacker's wet dream or have they actually managed a stable game yet?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMoo posted:

Is this game still a hacker's wet dream or have they actually managed a stable game yet?

lol

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You know the answer to that already.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006
I miss goons playing the ghostbusters theme during night rift.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I miss stealing fishing boats from Valor and fleeing into the sunset with them.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

ShadowMoo posted:

It's so stable that the game has been down half a day at least twice last week, apparently.

e: On the bright side, it's seemingly attempting to model the failures of capitalism in a game:

quote:

This game does not reward the players who try the hardest, or put in the most work, or spend the most time. It doesn't even reward the players who commit the most money, both real and virtual!

This is a game who rewards people based on a dice roll. A dice with 1000 sides, most of which say "0".

This game is not difficult. All you need in this game to succeed outside of combat is luck.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2015

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
That would only be a valid criticism of the game if there hadn't been a month and a half where it was precisely those players who knew what to do and did it that raked in gold.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Last time I read this thread was at the very start when everyone was saying how awesome it was. What the hell happened?

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Last time I read this thread was at the very start when everyone was saying how awesome it was. What the hell happened?

I'm hoping someone will attempt a recap. Because it was awesome. The awesomeness had nothing to do with the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

I'm going to say it was 50% openly exploitable KMMO meets western audience and 50% ~Trion Worlds~.

If you mean the guild drama bomb poo poo that was just goons self destructing like in every single MMO ever. Nothing new really.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
No, I think the Goon guild implosion in Archeage was noteworthy for a variety of reasons.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Watched my dumb friend play some of this

1) lol can't queue with friends for team pvp
2) lol you have to get 300 kills (his friend farmed mount kills) to join the pirate faction he was in

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CoffeeBooze posted:

No, I think the Goon guild implosion in Archeage was noteworthy for a variety of reasons.

Well, break it down for me!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Well, break it down for me!

Fishing

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Wool

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:pusheen:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Firstborn posted:

People actually had chance to play the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

haha, oh man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so lets see

we had land barons, labor pots that were reasonably spammable if you made alts, hackers, queues, downtime, terrible arena, RNG to get good equipment on the game side

as far as the goon guild goes

pedophile, pedophile defenders, offsite cliques, goon guild splits, fishing pacts, people running off with equipment that was being farmed, people being kicked out of goon guilds in other games

all kinds of good stuff really

remember when tokaii said that BFM wasn't a pedophile, but :goonsay: an ephebophile and chose that as his hill to die on instead of admitting he said something dumb

then he posted a BANME thread in gbs and it made redshirt mad that someone was bullying him so he went on a probation spree that got him demodded

also when BBG & Widestancer came into the thread, thats when I finally realized the rules were far relaxed on SA now as compared to when I joiend

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you joined during a kind of "dark ages" period of the forums Eonwe, it was very strict. I'm sure just like society, we have periods of social conservatism and liberalism.

You know what, that's kind of insane that the pedo thing didn't break us apart, it just caused like 10 pedo defenders and their defenders to leave, while the rest of us kept going. What broke us apart was what we wanted to do in the game. Some of us liked pvp and griefing the general populace, while others wanted to amass resources to maybe eventually buy pvp gear.

The latter group didn't affect the former that much, besides giving us strange rules we had to follow as to not rock their boats (literally, all they wanted to do was fish), but our actions definitely affected them. By preying on pubbies in our own faction, the general populace would look less favourably on fish goons, thereby lowering their profits. This was unreasonable to the fish goons.

The rich and greedy fish goons decided to leave GOON, taking with them most of our guild assets and headhunting a lot of our members, fleeing to the 2nd ranked guild in the game, who were also our enemies. This left GOON a hollow shell of its former self. Still plenty of good people, but we weren't that serious about the game, mostly there for fun. Eventually people just stopped logging in and we were down to few members. I tried to recruit likeminded pubbies, but someone logged in under an old account and disbanded the guild. I quit shortly after that, I don't know how GOON recovered after that.

GOON was a lot of fun for a while. There was always "drama" and people taking things too seriously, but it was also a nice communal activity. We did raids, we griefed, we pvp'd, we tried working towards a common goal. I learned how to raid in this game. I learned how to follow directions over mumble and organize fifty to one hundred people into action. Even if we didn't do much, the 50 man raid into Auroria (or whatever it was called, can't even remember anymore) was very cool. I met some people I've been seeing in other goon guilds in other games, and hopefully I'll see more of them down the line. It was fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had a lot of fun with Archeage and made a lot of new friends, so it was all worth it in the end at least

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Further to one of Bokowski's comments, the GS policy of allowing if not celebrating scamming also seriously damaged the reputation of the guild and made it very difficult for goons to trade land. Love scamming or hate it, the consequences of the scammers landed most heavily on those who did not scam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Finndo posted:

Further to one of Bokowski's comments, the GS policy of allowing if not celebrating scamming also seriously damaged the reputation of the guild and made it very difficult for goons to trade land. Love scamming or hate it, the consequences of the scammers landed most heavily on those who did not scam.

scamming was hilarious tho

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
lol why do i still ahve this thread bookmarked what a trainwreck

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Finndo posted:

Scamming was one of the few game mechanics allowed by Trion that we exploited in ways that it showed the world that Goons could scam an Eskimo into with selling them ice. TWICE, if we wanted.

It was hilarious...

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Tempus Thales posted:

it showed the world that Goons could scam an Eskimo into with selling them ice. TWICE, if we wanted.

dont sniff your own rear end in a top hat too hard now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Mothra scammed a single guy multiple times to the point that he literally just had the clothes on his back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Firstborn posted:

1. Goons thrived, everyone was making money, building things, families were a good thing.
2. Then, the whole icelandic incident with stuff... goons cried, people got banned, it was an apocalypse.
3. Goon Squad, split, people went to Pirate Guild and the great age of the goon families begun, with families becoming micro-guilds.
4. Lots of fishing.
5. More Fishing
6. The Great Goon Divide happened.
7. More goons left, others sold their poo poo
8. Archage Rip.

The End

• Locked thread