Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KernelSlanders posted:

On that note, is there a thread on giving interviews? There really should be.
This is probably the best place to have that discussion, since people on the job market should be aware of what the process looks like from the other side of the table. I certainly got much better at being interviewed once I had to start seriously thinking about how to conduct them effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My go to answer is that at times if there's a lot on my plate I can get really stressed out and have trouble accomplishing anything. Then I go into the various methods I've developed over the years to help relieve the stress and get back to work. I think it's a decent answer, hopefully.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Quandary posted:

My go to answer is that at times if there's a lot on my plate I can get really stressed out and have trouble accomplishing anything. Then I go into the various methods I've developed over the years to help relieve the stress and get back to work. I think it's a decent answer, hopefully.

That's not too bad, but I'd avoid the quasi-hopeless spin you put it on the end. I'd say "In the past, I have had trouble meeting deadlines because I get excited and take on too many things. I've since learned to X, Y, and Z to be able to still deliver on time, but it's hard not to just jump in and volunteer still."

It's answering the question but doing so without implying that you can't make any decisions. It also expresses being eager without being the suckup of "I care too much about my job".

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I like to go with not being naturally organized, so I've had to learn to stay organized by using blah blah blah.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

No, because its such a cliche at this point that pretty much every candidate has memorized an answer or can bullshit the question.

You're giving the general public way too much credit. You might be surprised at how many people are abysmally bad at interviews.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

As a hiring manager, this response would scream "rear end-kissing bullshit artist" more than "burnout risk." It's better than the other response, but not by much. At the risk of sounding like a person who indulges in schadenfreude, the concrete examples only improve things if your life is actually awful, like if you forgot your kid's recital or ruined a relationship because of your attachment to your work.

True. The second one, plus I actually took a month off from working after my last contract ended because I had so little time to actually have a life that I lost a couple friends and I needed that time to get my social life back in working order. Like we're talking 60-80 hour weeks.

Everyone can relate to working so hard you forget to have a life, at least in corporate land.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

HiroProtagonist posted:

True. The second one, plus I actually took a month off from working after my last contract ended because I had so little time to actually have a life that I lost a couple friends and I needed that time to get my social life back in working order. Like we're talking 60-80 hour weeks.

Everyone can relate to working so hard you forget to have a life, at least in corporate land.

I would take forgetting a kid's recital as a very bad sign with regards to his time management ability. Next time he has three work assignments and personal engagement, maybe he'll forget to do one of the work assignments instead?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

I would take forgetting a kid's recital as a very bad sign with regards to his time management ability. Next time he has three work assignments and personal engagement, maybe he'll forget to do one of the work assignments instead?

Yes, once you hire someone, you own them as well as their personal life, I agree.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

Xandu posted:

I like to go with not being naturally organized, so I've had to learn to stay organized by using blah blah blah.

On the interview for my current job I went with organization as my weakest area. Then followed it up with specific steps I took to improve upon it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use "I sometimes keep too many tasks in my head at once since I feel I can remember them all. Obviously things slip through so I need to write stuff down more often. Not only does writing it further embed it into memory, but I also have a reminder as a backup"

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Might score an interview soon with a decent-size university for a photographer position. It'd be in the marketing department. I've got no idea what the dress code would be like, so I don't have a good frame of reference for what to wear. My wife's telling me to suit up. A buddy of mine is telling me a nice button down & khakis. Thoughts?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I like to think I did fairly well for my first professional interview post-graduation. It was a panel of three people asking me questions, a little unexpected but rolled with it. I should be hearing back from the first company within the next few days but I appear to have a slight quandary and have no idea what to do. I have a second temp agency reaching out to me saying they have another company interested and that they're moving quickly on their side to set up an interview. Both positions are a 45 minute commute away and the pay is entry level, not quite ideal but considering I'm currently unemployed and living off savings I'll take what I can get. How do I handle two companies possibly competing to acquire me? How do I handle it if an employer starts showing interest in me more locally? How much information do I reveal to these places about my other prospects/offers? Would I be committing a deadly sin as an employee if I resign a position 45 minutes away for one more local after only a month or two of working?

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a recruiter that is contacting me about a gig that pays way better than the position that I'm in now. However, there's a catch, he wants my resume in Word format. To me, that means that he wants to be able to make changes.

Is this a normal thing? Should I even be concerned about this? Has anyone ever been hosed by sending a resume in to a recruiter and they made dumbass changes?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dakana posted:

Might score an interview soon with a decent-size university for a photographer position. It'd be in the marketing department. I've got no idea what the dress code would be like, so I don't have a good frame of reference for what to wear. My wife's telling me to suit up. A buddy of mine is telling me a nice button down & khakis. Thoughts?

Suit up.

Dress codes are for after you get hired.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Would you rather be overdressed or underdressed? Your pick.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Risket posted:

I've got a recruiter that is contacting me about a gig that pays way better than the position that I'm in now. However, there's a catch, he wants my resume in Word format. To me, that means that he wants to be able to make changes.

Is this a normal thing? Should I even be concerned about this? Has anyone ever been hosed by sending a resume in to a recruiter and they made dumbass changes?

My recruiter also wanted a Word format resume but when I rolled up to my interview the interviewers had my original PDF version. I think it's so they can more easily put it in their database (assuming they're a legit staffing company).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Recruiters will ask for a Word version so that they can put their company letterhead/logo on it (if they want to, which is usually). It's a standard staffing practice.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Risket posted:

Bring a physical copy of your resume to the interview. If it doesn't match, well, they'll probably stop using that recruiter.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is it bad form to apply to more than one position at the same company? A place I want to work has put up two positions I'd adore simultaneously. I would write unique cover letters and tailor my resume to each, but it might reek of desperation...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aerofallosov posted:

Is it bad form to apply to more than one position at the same company? A place I want to work has put up two positions I'd adore simultaneously. I would write unique cover letters and tailor my resume to each, but it might reek of desperation...
No, not at all, just do it.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I had an interview ~2 weeks ago and several days after the interview, the HR person called and wanted to ask how the interview went and whether I were still interested in the position. I said it went well and was still interested, and the HR person said the manager I interviewed with liked me and thought I was a good fit and that I should hear whether I got the position in about a week. I was assured that I would hear whether I got it or didn't get it, but it's been almost 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. Is it worth sending a quick e-mail or call and asking about the status of my application? And if so, is there a decent way to do it without sounding too over-eager or pushy?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Is it worth sending a quick e-mail or call and asking about the status of my application? And if so, is there a decent way to do it without sounding too over-eager or pushy?

Call them and say, "Hi, I'm $name, I interviewed with $manager for the $position position on $date, just following up?" and make sure your voice goes up at the end so it sounds like a question.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Suit up.

Dress codes are for after you get hired.

totalnewbie posted:

Would you rather be overdressed or underdressed? Your pick.

Right on. I was slightly concerned that overdressing would be seen as tacky. Better get the pants hemmed, then.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Should I put my GPA on my resume as a recent graduate?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 23, 2019

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Should I put my GPA on my resume as a recent graduate?

My undergrad degree was mid 3.12
I just finished my masters degree with a 3.94

For having an undergrad GPA and a graduate GPA: I went to a career fair and asked 19 recruiters if I should include the undergrad GPA and got very close to a 50/50 split. It isn't a good measure because the ones who don't care...don't care. It isn't terrible and shows improvement and gives you something to talk about, throw it on there. The Masters GPA should absolutely be on there.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Boot and Rally posted:

For having an undergrad GPA and a graduate GPA: I went to a career fair and asked 19 recruiters if I should include the undergrad GPA and got very close to a 50/50 split. It isn't a good measure because the ones who don't care...don't care. It isn't terrible and shows improvement and gives you something to talk about, throw it on there. The Masters GPA should absolutely be on there.

I think it depends heavily on the field you're applying to.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Graduate GPAs are worthless. It's grad school, everybody gets As. Don't put it on your resume, IMO. Hell, going below a 3.0 in most graduate programs puts you on probation, so we know you at least have that, and that's all anybody would give a poo poo about.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HiroProtagonist posted:

Recruiters will ask for a Word version so that they can put their company letterhead/logo on it (if they want to, which is usually). It's a standard staffing practice.
To add to this, your recruiter will put their company letterhead on the top, so add page breaks and some blank space on top of your resume to accommodate this. I use recruiters to hire, and the recruiters don't care about readability when they slap the letterhead on the top of your resume. I would recommend asking to see your resume with the letterhead on it to make sure the formatting didn't get screwed up. The recruiter wants to help you. But it's like financial advisers. They're never going to care about your money more than you will.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bisty Q. posted:

Graduate GPAs are worthless. It's grad school, everybody gets As. Don't put it on your resume, IMO. Hell, going below a 3.0 in most graduate programs puts you on probation, so we know you at least have that, and that's all anybody would give a poo poo about.

This was the other component. My graduate school had rampant grade inflation. Still, it looks good?

Boot and Rally posted:

Yeah I purchased the resume to interview package, and they put the undergrad gpa on there, which seemed a little against the axiom "only put the best stuff forward".

I was expecting a much stronger negative reaction to the undergrad GPA, but I guess I'll trust in the R2I service and leave it in there.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So I have an interview Tuesday in another city. I'm flying in and will get in around 7pm Monday night.

Originally I interview with a manager about the one position I put in for, who then spoke with his director. I've been speaking with him since, about 4 open positions, 3 of which are the same as the one I applied for and the final is an analytical position that I think they really want me to take. I've made it pretty clear that in order for me to take an analytical position, they would need to overpay me substantially, as it's not very fulfilling work, but the conversation still seems to drift that way.

At any rate, the director has asked me if I'd like to have dinner with him on Monday night. I don't really have any other plans, as I was just going to sit in my hotel room and prep myself a bit more for any questions they may ask.

I mean, I could easily say that I'm meeting my mother-in-law for dinner already if I wanted to avoid the dinner, but should I? It seems like this may be a good chance to let him see me outside of the formal interview. He invited me, so I assume it's proper form to accept?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This was the other component. My graduate school had rampant grade inflation. Still, it looks good?

Yeah I purchased the resume to interview package, and they put the undergrad gpa on there, which seemed a little against the axiom "only put the best stuff forward".

I was expecting a much stronger negative reaction to the undergrad GPA, but I guess I'll trust in the R2I service and leave it in there.

The people who do want to see GPAs assume that if is isn't there the applicant is hiding something. The people who think they are worthless will just skip the line on your resume. Yours isn't so low that you need to risk "hiding" in favor of pleasing people who just will not care. Since you're just starting out you're stuck playing voodoo/expectation games. Once you've got that first job things like GPA lose traction very quickly. Good luck with the job hunt!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

No Butt Stuff posted:

So I have an interview Tuesday in another city. I'm flying in and will get in around 7pm Monday night.

Originally I interview with a manager about the one position I put in for, who then spoke with his director. I've been speaking with him since, about 4 open positions, 3 of which are the same as the one I applied for and the final is an analytical position that I think they really want me to take. I've made it pretty clear that in order for me to take an analytical position, they would need to overpay me substantially, as it's not very fulfilling work, but the conversation still seems to drift that way.

At any rate, the director has asked me if I'd like to have dinner with him on Monday night. I don't really have any other plans, as I was just going to sit in my hotel room and prep myself a bit more for any questions they may ask.

I mean, I could easily say that I'm meeting my mother-in-law for dinner already if I wanted to avoid the dinner, but should I? It seems like this may be a good chance to let him see me outside of the formal interview. He invited me, so I assume it's proper form to accept?
It's unusual to invite the candidate out for dinner the night before. Usually you want to prescreen to make sure you actually intend to hire the guy.

It could mean 1 of 2 things:

1. They love you so much they've already decided to hire you. In that case, take the dinner, smile and nod politely, and let the director tell you how you're going to ace the interviews tomorrow.

2. They have a great reimbursement account, and the director wants to use you as a meal ticket to score a nice dinner. In that case, you'll look bad if you don't take the dinner.

Either way, it seems a bit unprofessional tbh, but you should accept politely. Make sure you have the director's number in case your flight gets delayed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I figured as much. I accepted. I figure that I can use the opportunity go ahead and make another good first impression.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So a discussion cropped up over here about emails. Rather than making GBS threads up that thread I figured I'd bring the question over here.

currently I use jmruss10@gmail.com as my email when applying to any job. Is that a "decent" enough email or should I go for the full on firstname.lastname? Also, I have access to a domain that I bought that comes with email. It's for a business that may or may not ever make it off the ground, but to get another domain we're looking at $10 or so. my current email there is jason@aitechnc.com, should I use that domain and change the name, use that email or go another route?

I'm just looking at every possible avenue to make my resume more appealing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd probably use firstname.lastname@gmail.com

If you're using it advertising your businesses services, then I'd use the @businessname.com, but I'd only do that if you plan on paying for and using that domain for 5+ years.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

So a discussion cropped up over here about emails. Rather than making GBS threads up that thread I figured I'd bring the question over here.

currently I use jmruss10@gmail.com as my email when applying to any job. Is that a "decent" enough email or should I go for the full on firstname.lastname? Also, I have access to a domain that I bought that comes with email. It's for a business that may or may not ever make it off the ground, but to get another domain we're looking at $10 or so. my current email there is jason@aitechnc.com, should I use that domain and change the name, use that email or go another route?

I'm just looking at every possible avenue to make my resume more appealing.

Either of the ones you listed are fine. It's basically "don't use bigballz88@yahoo.com" or an AOL email address.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

How bad does it look to note on job applications that I do not have flexible hours? I just moved to a new area and I'm just looking for a part-time retail drone job for now. I would work daytime hours, but not nighttime or weekends because I have other obligations. I guess I could fill in for someone here and there but I don't want them to make a habit of it.

When should I be upfront about my rigid schedule? On the application? At the interview? Afterwards?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Pixelated Dragon posted:

How bad does it look to note on job applications that I do not have flexible hours? I just moved to a new area and I'm just looking for a part-time retail drone job for now. I would work daytime hours, but not nighttime or weekends because I have other obligations. I guess I could fill in for someone here and there but I don't want them to make a habit of it.

When should I be upfront about my rigid schedule? On the application? At the interview? Afterwards?

Copied from the original ask/tell thread you posted in:

While you have nothing else on offer, delay it until the very last minute - even to the point of "hey we need you to work this weekend" "oooh sorry boss I can't do weekends". If you're tossing up between two jobs and you need to make a decision, that's when you test the waters and ask what sort of hours they're both looking to fill. They'll know if they're looking for a weekday worker, evening worker, whether they need someone who can also throw in a few erratic shifts every now and then, or whether all they want is a godforsaken casual employee they can call up every few weeks with 20 minutes' notice to demand they cover a lapse for 3hours at $5/h. In which case, tell them to go gently caress themselves and then firebomb their slavehouse down to the goddamn ground.

Don't put it on your CV at all, but if at some point during the interview process they ask you what hours you have available, ask them what sort of rosters they're looking to fill. Either they'll tell you the truth (i.e. one or all of the above) or they'll lie to you, in which case lie to them and just put down whatever looks like it'll get you the job. Honestly, it's retail and if you're American you're already hosed anyway so you should stop at nothing to claw some leverage back.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Copied from the original ask/tell thread you posted in:

While you have nothing else on offer, delay it until the very last minute - even to the point of "hey we need you to work this weekend" "oooh sorry boss I can't do weekends". If you're tossing up between two jobs and you need to make a decision, that's when you test the waters and ask what sort of hours they're both looking to fill. They'll know if they're looking for a weekday worker, evening worker, whether they need someone who can also throw in a few erratic shifts every now and then, or whether all they want is a godforsaken casual employee they can call up every few weeks with 20 minutes' notice to demand they cover a lapse for 3hours at $5/h. In which case, tell them to go gently caress themselves and then firebomb their slavehouse down to the goddamn ground.

Don't put it on your CV at all, but if at some point during the interview process they ask you what hours you have available, ask them what sort of rosters they're looking to fill. Either they'll tell you the truth (i.e. one or all of the above) or they'll lie to you, in which case lie to them and just put down whatever looks like it'll get you the job. Honestly, it's retail and if you're American you're already hosed anyway so you should stop at nothing to claw some leverage back.

How would I be able to tell that they're lying about what sort of rosters they're trying to fill? And what would they gain from lying about that?

I have a college degree in a useless major. My spouse's career recently moved us to the middle of nowhere where there's not a lot of opportunity in fields that aren't industrial or agricultural. Right now I'm just aiming to put myself out there at a few key retail locations that peddle products I'm actually interested in, such as bookstores because I'm a booknerd. If it doesn't pan out I'll do volunteer work for a while just to fill up the time. Because we're not wanting for money I'm not going to be applying here, there, and everywhere. I mean, yeah, the extra cash would be nice but the main goal is to not be sitting on my duff all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

Follow-up.

Got in late, met the Director for dinner at 8. Ended up eating and speaking with him until 10:30, then getting to the office the next morning and interviewing with different teams about multiple other positions. I was told that compensation for all jobs have the same ranges, and all jobs are offered at regular or Senior levels. The relocation package is INSANE, and I think there's actually a chance to make an impact in their supply chain as an analyst, as much I loathe to say it. They spend $750M a year, but send all data out of house quarterly and wait for it to be loaded to an external dashboard. Savings are calculated based on estimates. Basically, the entire reporting structure needs to be rebuilt.

It was all but said I'll be getting an offer and the director started talking about start dates, showing me their data, and talking to me about signing bonus vs. Relocation package. (The relocation package is probably worth 40k after taxes, so I don't see them being willing to give me a 75k signing bonus to make it worth the headache of taking it, even though if they did I would just pack everything myself and save 10 grand on the move.)

I expect an offer next week, which will probably be at the normal level. I think that given what they're describing to me and asking of the position, I'll be asking for the Senior level and an increase. The thing I wonder is if most companies use the jr/sr level thing to give someone a decent salary boost after a year in role or whatever. I guess this should be in the negotiating thread when they actually offer, but this is rolling over in my head at the moment. Is it recommended to fire back and ask to be hired at the Sr level and the commensurate salary bump if you can back it up with good reasoning?