Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why do you suppose the Investors don't show up on camera?

They're greco-roman wind god vampires.

e: oh and also dead

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Vampires and other evil things commonly don't appear on camera or in mirrors.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Because they're Evil Sith Vampire Zombie Alien Wizards. :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Two universe expanding episodes in a row!

Episode 11: Past Tense
- Although we saw them before in flashbacks, the boys are finally formally introduced to the old Team Venture. Kano looks like he's 5-6 feet tall here but in later episodes he looks like he's 7 feet tall. Otto Aqarius I vaguely remembered but I guess the show kind of forgets about him later?

- We also get the back stories of several key players in college

- They make a joke that Young Underbheit had Pete Rose's hairstyle, but he looks and sounds like he was inspired by Arnold Schwarzenegger

- Mike Sorayama's Leslie robots look like a reference to Hajime Sorayama's sexy robot paintings. Rusty jokes that he has that issue of Heavy Metal too
https://www.google.com/search?q=sex...biw=752&bih=564

- I guess Mike dresses like Dr No?

Haha a lot of this poo poo flew over my head the first time I saw this

edit: Action Man farts a lot cause he's old but I guess they drop that joke later?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 28, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Two universe expanding episodes in a row!

Episode 11: Past Tense
- Although we saw them before in flashbacks, the boys are finally formally introduced to the old Team Venture. Kano looks like he's 5-6 feet tall here but in later episodes he looks like he's 7 feet tall. Otto Aqarius I vaguely remembered but I guess the show kind of forgets about him later?

Well he got super Mormon. You'd try to forget him too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
For some reason I thought Otto basically avoids Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man because he thinks they're degenerates, but I don't think that's ever actually said.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dr Orpheus prophesizes that Action Man is 2 years from a stroke in this episode. I can't remember if that happens, but he ends up in an old people's home, right?

edit: haha I don't remember Col Gentleman being racist? Kano is flying the jet and he says that despite Kano's "racial handicap" he's a great pilot.

edit: Holy poo poo this episode does some fantastic editing between the past and present. The fakeout cuts back and forth between two different time periods is so confusing in a good fun way

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Steve Yun posted:

Dr Orpheus prophesizes that Action Man is 2 years from a stroke in this episode. I can't remember if that happens, but he ends up in an old people's home, right?

edit: haha I don't remember Col Gentleman being racist? Kano is flying the jet and he says that despite Kano's "racial handicap" he's a great pilot.

Yeah, a retirement home for superheroes in Boca Raton.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

For some reason I thought Otto basically avoids Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man because he thinks they're degenerates, but I don't think that's ever actually said.

In the season 1 deleted scenes he calls him a sodomite.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I liked that Killinger and the vampires were essentially 21 style dorks with their psychic light saber duel. Totally thinking it was Billy's Mom on the boat with Jonas Sr. in that flashback during Spanakopita(?) and Billy's hydrocephalus and genius are somehow associated with her past and the Ventures.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow.

Episode 12: Trial of the Monarch

For some reason in my memory I kept thinking that season 2 was where Venture Bros really found their footing and kicked into high gear, but now I'm realizing it was the second half of the first season. Between Past Tense and Trial of the Monarch you have them sure enough in their footing to start with the experimental narrative styles, the multiple unreliable narrators with the alternate Rashomon versions of stories, the art-film editing.

Side notes: I think this is the first time we see the Sovereign, and his distortion effect and voice are very different and maybe the first time we see Watch and Ward? Monstroso first mentioned here as a side joke, and he ends up being the central McGuffin in season 4-5

edit: "Beating his invisible meat" is still one of the funniest lines of this show

edit: pop culture references for this episode:
- Stiv Bators
- Lydia Lunch
- Frank Frazetta
- Dr Girlfriend used to be Lady Au Pair, this show aired when there were several high profile trials of nannies killing babies, most notably Louise Woodward

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

revolther posted:

I liked that Killinger and the vampires were essentially 21 style dorks with their psychic light saber duel. Totally thinking it was Billy's Mom on the boat with Jonas Sr. in that flashback during Spanakopita(?) and Billy's hydrocephalus and genius are somehow associated with her past and the Ventures.

Wasn't that Jackie O? If not, that one flew way over my head

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

Totally thinking it was Billy's Mom on the boat with Jonas Sr. in that flashback during Spanakopita(?) and Billy's hydrocephalus and genius are somehow associated with her past and the Ventures.

I think the leading theory is that Brainulo is Billy's dad, since he had Triple Threat captive in that flashback. Of course, since that seems so obvious when you think about it, there's no way Doc and Jackson will go that route, and the answer is probably very mundane.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cacafuego posted:

Wasn't that Jackie O? If not, that one flew way over my head

Wha... Who the hell is "Jacqueline Onassis"?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Wow.

Episode 12: Trial of the Monarch

For some reason in my memory I kept thinking that season 2 was where Venture Bros really found their footing and kicked into high gear, but now I'm realizing it was the second half of the first season. Between Past Tense and Trial of the Monarch you have them sure enough in their footing to start with the experimental narrative styles, the multiple unreliable narrators with the alternate Rashomon versions of stories, the art-film editing.

Side notes: I think this is the first time we see the Sovereign, and his distortion effect and voice are very different and maybe the first time we see Watch and Ward? Monstroso first mentioned here as a side joke, and he ends up being the central McGuffin in season 4-5

It's really weird how much the show picks up with Tag Sale, I was just about ready to stop watching the show when that came along and then it just becomes so much funnier and opens up the show's whole universe through one episode. I don't know why they waited until near the end of the season to introduce nearly the entire supporting cast, especially when it's so much funnier with them in it

e: Okay the one they introduced Orpheus in was a pretty strong early episode too. 'Powered by a Forsaken Child!?!' is probably one of the all time great exchanges of the show

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steve Yun posted:

- Mike Sorayama's Leslie robots look like a reference to Hajime Sorayama's sexy robot paintings. Rusty jokes that he has that issue of Heavy Metal too
https://www.google.com/search?q=sex...biw=752&bih=564

Mike Sorayama being a big weird Fargo injoke is my favorite part of this episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Mike Sorayama being a big weird Fargo injoke is my favorite part of this episode.

Sorry I need an explanation here

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I think the leading theory is that Brainulo is Billy's dad, since he had Triple Threat captive in that flashback. Of course, since that seems so obvious when you think about it, there's no way Doc and Jackson will go that route, and the answer is probably very mundane.

That's dumb, this show is clearly being written season by season for whatever sounds cool at the time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

revolther posted:

I liked that Killinger and the vampires were essentially 21 style dorks with their psychic light saber duel.
My headcanon is that it wasn't dorky at all because George Lucas sold his soul to them for the initial inspiration for Star Wars, so it was their idea originally.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Orpheus doesn't say Action Man dies of a stroke, and his wife (Major Tom's wife) dies at some point before Action Man goes to the home, so it's an easy retcon.

notZaar posted:

That's dumb, this show is clearly being written season by season for whatever sounds cool at the time.

Yeah. I've been watching the early seasons also, and there's like no foundation for the expanded Ventureverse in the early episodes. They play real fast and loose with canon so any theory that isn't heavily hinted at in the show itself is most likely not true.

It's not like this whole thing was intricately plotted out, established backstories can turn on a dime if it's a funny gag.

Pope Guilty posted:

I always read it as Otto, being this world's Aquaman but even lamer, is just gone and nobody cares why.

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry I need an explanation here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ge4F4E9JE

The actor is Steve Park, the guy who voiced Mike Sorayama. Sorayama and Yanagita are very similar characters - untrustworthy liars, kind of pathetic, and obsessed with past crushes. Sorayama's crush is Leslie Cohen, Fargo was made by the Cohen Brothers.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 28, 2015

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If you watch their dvd commentaries, hell they even make cracks about they totally plan this from the start and all these BG characters you see are totally gonna be in the story.

Hell I am guilty that I like to look for the several BG characters they use over and over in scenes with crowds and its pretty hilarious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

The flashback with Brainulo and Triple Threat only happens in the last episode of Season 5, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the guys want us to believe that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

The flashback with Brainulo and Triple Threat only happens in the last episode of Season 5, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the guys want us to believe that.

I don't buy it. They could have just used Brainulo, an established villan, for a scene in which they introduce Triple Threat and explain Action Man's past with her. Just having a massive head in this universe isn't enough to establish paternity. This scene also establishes that Brainulo is kind of incompetent, and this show tends to not hint at sexual assault (excepting King Gorilla)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The truth is, Jonas Sr. is probably just everybody's dad, especially Brock and Gary.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

notZaar posted:

This, 100%. Every blown out fan theory gets destroyed at Comic Con panels because the guys shoot it down with "Nah we just thought it would be funny."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I get the feeling that they're just really really good at retconning in the first few seasons, which is impressive in its own way. So far the only thing that feels like "they planned it all along" is Rustys nightmares about a twin in the womb in the first episode turning out to be JJ a whole season later.

Later seasons though, it does start feeling like they have a future roadmap. The Investors, Monstroso, the Sovereign's scheme, it all feels like it was part of a giant seasons-long master plan

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 29, 2015

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
It was at the beginning of Season 1 when they put in the dream sequence and JJ escaped Rusty's foul body at the end of the same season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This, 100%. Every blown out fan theory gets destroyed at Comic Con panels because the guys shoot it down with "Nah we just thought it would be funny."

I love that Dr Girlfriend wears MAC because they were trying to score free cosmetics.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think Tag Sale was also the first appearance of everyone's favorite villain:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this show tends to not hint at sexual assault (excepting King Gorilla)

And Hatred. And Captain Sunshine.

Angular Landbury posted:

I'm not sure if this got mentioned previously but anyone who is a fan of minor VB characters might be happy to know that Brendon Small reprises the Hector and Swifty characters (slightly renamed to "Victor and Tiny") on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast. I was catching up with that recently and was amazed to hear them.

I only started listening to Comedy Bang Bang recently, and listened to them in the Best of 2014 episode... I never even made the connection.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thexerox123 posted:

And Hatred. And Captain Sunshine.

I watched this again just recently, Monarch screeching,"WOULDN'T IT SOLVE ALL YOUR SCREWED UP PROBLEMS IF YOU COULD JUST gently caress YOUR SIDEKICK AND ARCH-VILLAIN AT THE SAME TIME!?!" while a horrified and bewildered Captain Sunshine backs away from him is utterly hilarious.

As is,"It's Chuck Scarsdale, hide or he'll put us on the news!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly think the deal with Sunshine is that he's just really out-of-touch and completely innocuous, but so naive that he doesn't understand how he comes off. Like a single Ambiguously Gay Duo, but about child rape.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's entirely the deal, Sunshine is a 1950s Superhero in the modern world, completely out of touch and misunderstood.

I love when Monarch brings up how the guy is obviously still in great shape but up close you can really see how old he is and it's kind of sad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jack Gladney posted:

I honestly think the deal with Sunshine is that he's just really out-of-touch and completely innocuous, but so naive that he doesn't understand how he comes off. Like a single Ambiguously Gay Duo, but about child rape.

He has a Michael Jackson kinda vibe to me. Neverland Ranch, sleep overs etc... And agreed, Sunshine I dont think is a pedo, just entirely too naive for his own good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love the interpretation that the people saying "just don't let him near my kid" isn't because people think he's a pedo, but because everyone knows the kids keep getting killed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every single thing in that episode has an innocent interpretation. That's the whole gag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Currently on Hate Floats.

21 and 24 get the Cocoon working again, saying that they stole parts from Sgt Hatred's hovertank, which was an offhand joke that gets shown later.

Finally got refreshed on the Wusthof knife joke here.

Monarch losing Dr Girlfriend and trying to get her back is one of my favorite story arcs, it's like a perfect distillation of every movie/tv breakup and struggle to win back the girl ever. They not only check off all the soap opera checkboxes, but they managed to do it well. Monarch struggles with learning that he needs to want her back because he loves her and not because she was convenient to his operation. It's good soap!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ycD4LkSXiQ

It feels ridiculous to say this, but Doc Hammer's voice acting when Dr Girlfriend and Monarch are talking at the mall was genuinely moving, especially how she says "When you threw me out, I was... devastated!"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Another thing about the rewatch I did with my girlfirend after showing her the All This and Gargantua 2 special when she hadn't seen any venture bros before:

I noticed that Season 1 and 2 seemed to make much heavier usage of carefully illustrated backgrounds for the animation to go over. While in recent seems, every thing else seems to be of as high quality and similar design, so that the overall effect is of much more care taken.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Frostwerks posted:

What boy scout figure? I take it somebody in scout garb in one of the boys brigade photos or something?

Boys' Brigade photo has Limb, Impossible and two other unnamed boys in the group. An athletic one that people have speculated may have been Manstrong or Hatred and the curly-haired scrawny deeby-looking kid that a lot of people have thought is Al.

However, I'm sort of finding myself leaning towards the thought of the boy scout is/was actually Sovereign as part of the Eagle/Scout idea, maybe even more so when I think about some of the details dropped in the episode, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Not every background character needs to be special. This isn't the Star Wars EU we're talking about.