Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In Wilfreds defense he didnt have a good opinion of Karima already, well thats if he even remember who he was in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Wait these guys are all under 19, you know, not the most coherent bunch.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Wait seriously? That was a Gundam Leopard that the Renatos obliterated? I honestly thought it was a customized F91 with gatlings instead of VSBRs. Yeah, making it symmetrically really does throw you off doesn't it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I thought it was the Leopard Destroy at first, but nope. I actually started flipping through various Wing MS before it hit me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I like how the show devoted some time to give special rules to mobile armors to restrict their usage to prevent them from being overwhelming but every single mobile armor we've seen so far in a tournament fight has poo poo the bed in a one-sided massacre fight in which it had no chance to win. The only time a mobile armor performed impressively was when it was fighting against another jobbing mobile armor.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I feel like this is the one robot show where there is a reasonable explanation for the enemy not stopping the stock animation gattai sequence become come on. You wanna be that guy?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In Wilfreds defense he didnt have a good opinion of Karima already, well thats if he even remember who he was in the first place.

In fairness, he actually gave him a measure of the recognition he craves by stating that he knew his name and prefered class of Gunpla when they fought. But he is pretty much a hypocrite.

I would have like Karima to be clowned a little less badly, partly just because Shia looked like the big beam was a surprise and problem for her, then just no-sells it, not good drama.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like this is the one robot show where there is a reasonable explanation for the enemy not stopping the stock animation gattai sequence become come on. You wanna be that guy?

Plus what if Sakai had some Unicorn-style I-Field to defend them while they were combining? Then you would look like a poor sport and an idiot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Now I kinda want to see their fight against Team Try Fighters go down the toilet because Yuuma totally would snipe one of them mid-transformation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I kinda want to see their fight against Team Try Fighters go down the toilet because Yuuma totally would snipe one of them mid-transformation.

He'd go for Minato's part, just for added insult.

Everyone, including his own teammate Sekai, would boo him for being unsportsmanlike and just a jerk. Meijin would feel completely disappointed that he didn't learn the lesson that Gunpla is meant to be fun.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The intro to this episode is so good that it is making me retroactively like the opening.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BizarroAzrael posted:

In fairness, he actually gave him a measure of the recognition he craves by stating that he knew his name and prefered class of Gunpla when they fought. But he is pretty much a hypocrite.

I thought that was the point? Wilfrid was literally the only person who bothered to remember/research who Karima was and note his preferred playstyle, and all he got in return was 'Hahaha you think I'm gonna fight seriously outside a tournament battle.' I would be ticked off too.

Also it's not like Meijin didn't deliberately hold back to prove a point back in episode 12.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why did they have to add sound effects to the intro, it was better before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

The intro to this episode is so good that it is making me retroactively like the opening.

For a second, I thought the Saikyo Kido Tryon 3 splash was the opening. I got really loving hype.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pureauthor posted:

I thought that was the point? Wilfrid was literally the only person who bothered to remember/research who Karima was and note his preferred playstyle, and all he got in return was 'Hahaha you think I'm gonna fight seriously outside a tournament battle.' I would be ticked off too.

Also it's not like Meijin didn't deliberately hold back to prove a point back in episode 12.

Meijin took on Saga because he was being an unsportsmanlike shitlord who was making a point of pummeling people who were way weaker than him. Meijin was telling Saga "don't be a jerk to people weaker than you, remember you're weaker than someone". The stuff with Wilfrid is a little harder to swallow because he's doing exactly the same thing as Saga was doing, if only by proxy. Honestly I think the Shia vs Karima thing wouldn't be so hypocritical if it was phrased as "You can only use 1 mobile armor so we'll only use one mobile suit". It still would have the undercurrent of "We're better than you", but it wouldn't have the same tone of flagrant dismissal that Try has been railing against.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Warmachine posted:

For a second, I thought the Saikyo Kido Tryon 3 splash was the opening. I got really loving hype.

Me, too. I really thought they pulled a JoJo.

My reaction to the episode can be summed up thus:

Holy drat, this show has gotten good.

You know, now that they have an under-19 age group, maybe Lady is the under-19 Meijin? it would at least explain why there appear to be two Meijin, and why she's looking for a replacement.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Meijin took on Saga because he was being an unsportsmanlike shitlord who was making a point of pummeling people who were way weaker than him. Meijin was telling Saga "don't be a jerk to people weaker than you, remember you're weaker than someone". The stuff with Wilfrid is a little harder to swallow because he's doing exactly the same thing as Saga was doing, if only by proxy. Honestly I think the Shia vs Karima thing wouldn't be so hypocritical if it was phrased as "You can only use 1 mobile armor so we'll only use one mobile suit". It still would have the undercurrent of "We're better than you", but it wouldn't have the same tone of flagrant dismissal that Try has been railing against.

Bonus points if Ral throws in some goonery about the heroes of Gundam facing Mobile Armors alone, in a true test of pilot versus machinery. But that'd have probably undercut Shia's super special build skills. It's more a BF thing than BFT as well. BF is for Gundam dorks. BFT is... for... uh...

Hm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest in retrospect the dumb Mobile Armor rule is just an excuse for 1v1 fights and nothing else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suzaku posted:

You know, now that they have an under-19 age group, maybe Lady is the under-19 Meijin? it would at least explain why there appear to be two Meijin, and why she's looking for a replacement.

Nah, pretty sure she's just there as the Queen of Gunpla to Yuuki's King. I give BFT a lot of poo poo for the first half, but one thing it has tried very hard on the whole to do is be a bit more girl-friendly and avoid the usual "token girl" thing. Most of the ones on other teams have been fairly strong contenders in their own right, and Fumina's even acknowledged as Try Fighter's team captain without it being some big thing. Which, let's face it, is a very easy pit to fall into considering anime and all.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest in retrospect the dumb Mobile Armor rule is just an excuse for 1v1 fights and nothing else.

Definitely, but I really don't think it's going to pop up again. Our only dedicated Mobile Armor contender just got his poo poo pushed in, and the show's already shown who the main rivals are. If another one pops up, it's going to be a VERY brief background fight of MA vs MA, or something that gets jobbed by one of the main rivals easily.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Try is better than the first series as far as female representation goes on account the female cast members actually get to start out LIKING Gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

Try is better than the first series as far as female representation goes on account the female cast members actually get to start out LIKING Gunpla.

Something I will give credit to BF for though is that Sei gave China a Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2 (Which is a G30th HG RX-78-02) after she asked about building one (you can see it poking out the top of the brown paper bag she's lugging about), rather than going for the Nobel or something along that line. The Beargguy was entirely her own thing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

Red Perfect Zeong vs Full Burst Psycho Gundam.

Make it happen Bandai. Then give them both kits.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly I think the Shia vs Karima thing wouldn't be so hypocritical if it was phrased as "You can only use 1 mobile armor so we'll only use one mobile suit". It still would have the undercurrent of "We're better than you", but it wouldn't have the same tone of flagrant dismissal that Try has been railing against.

I figured that was pretty much his justification as is, just unstated. I can kind of understand why they did it regardless, because it's not very heroic seeing 3 guys taking down one big armor so they had to do it, both to build up expectations regarding the Gunpla Academy and their apparent skill and to not make them seem like total dick-bags by having them gang-bang a single unit. They definitely flubbed by not having someone state that though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Definitely, but I really don't think it's going to pop up again. Our only dedicated Mobile Armor contender just got his poo poo pushed in, and the show's already shown who the main rivals are. If another one pops up, it's going to be a VERY brief background fight of MA vs MA, or something that gets jobbed by one of the main rivals easily.

Tryon 3 is pretty much the same thing really. And the above makes me a bit more hopeful that Team Try's 3 units will combine in some manner to be able to fight it one v one, because it really wouldn't make Team Try look very sportsmanlike or cool to take down a normal sized mobile suit 3 on 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing that sort of bothers me with regards to both Tryon 3 and mobile armors is that it really appears that what it does is just leave two guys sitting on the sidelines despite being part of a three-person team. It feels sort of weird when Sakai's entire thing is "We want to keep playing Gunpla Battle as long as we can! Now you, Sakai, take over for all three of us!" It's the same with the Sid in that Sugita-guy's team is basically Him. We see his two allies but only in one walking shot and then welp.

With Tryon-3 it at least falls into the usual "our hearts become one" Super Robot stuff but still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that sort of bothers me with regards to both Tryon 3 and mobile armors is that it really appears that what it does is just leave two guys sitting on the sidelines despite being part of a three-person team. It feels sort of weird when Sakai's entire thing is "We want to keep playing Gunpla Battle as long as we can! Now you, Sakai, take over for all three of us!" It's the same with the Sid in that Sugita-guy's team is basically Him. We see his two allies but only in one walking shot and then welp.

With Tryon-3 it at least falls into the usual "our hearts become one" Super Robot stuff but still.

Who do you think is controlling the flying robot fists? :v:

I do get what you mean though. If they want to pull more Mobile Armor fights, they really need to be the kind that are closer to bigass tanks (one or two guys manning the guns, third guy driving, that kinda thing) rather than just big mobile suits.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

It probably boils down to the other 2 doing systems stuff like Sei did all of season 1, running the RG and so on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Who do you think is controlling the flying robot fists? :v:

I do get what you mean though. If they want to pull more Mobile Armor fights, they really need to be the kind that are closer to bigass tanks (one or two guys manning the guns, third guy driving, that kinda thing) rather than just big mobile suits.

I think it's also really hard to understand what makes a Mobile Armor 'significant'.

Early on it was theorized a high base power level which requires balance but like... I mean Sekai can blow up the god damned moon. Even ignoring stuff like Satellite Cannons and Moonlight Butterflies and so-on there's basically nothing about a mobile armor that requires a special rule. If anything Mobile Armors seem to exist only to job. There just doesn't seem to be any reason they should be limited. It'd help sell the rule if at least it felt like there was an in-series reason for it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They could have an episode like in BF where Reiji and Aila went to the gunpla shop and fought a tricked out Zeong.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I will give credit to BF for though is that Sei gave China a Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2 (Which is a G30th HG RX-78-02) after she asked about building one (you can see it poking out the top of the brown paper bag she's lugging about), rather than going for the Nobel or something along that line. The Beargguy was entirely her own thing.

I am confused, is the vol.2 the one with the zaku II or is it the first Gunpla starter set:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's also really hard to understand what makes a Mobile Armor 'significant'.

Early on it was theorized a high base power level which requires balance but like... I mean Sekai can blow up the god damned moon. Even ignoring stuff like Satellite Cannons and Moonlight Butterflies and so-on there's basically nothing about a mobile armor that requires a special rule. If anything Mobile Armors seem to exist only to job. There just doesn't seem to be any reason they should be limited. It'd help sell the rule if at least it felt like there was an in-series reason for it.

Well, if they actually put a lot of work into building the Mobile Armor, it would be like having the power of the Build Burning or the Shia's Dancing Gundam on a much larger scale. That would probably be pretty drat powerful. The problem is that the people who use Mobile Armors seem to be trying to compensate for their lack of ability to make better smaller craft. Also Karima made his out of CGI instead of plastic, which probably had bad effects on its performance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I am confused, is the vol.2 the one with the zaku II or is it the first Gunpla starter set:

Oh poo poo, you're right, I somehow mixed them up. I've even been rewatching BF so I've no idea how I managed that one :doh:. That's totally the Vol.1 Starter Set.

ImpAtom posted:

Style. :dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

I look at it as "if this is what they can do with just an HG Mobile Suit, imagine what the fuckers can pull off with a full Mobile Armor if they really try." :stonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Well, if they actually put a lot of work into building the Mobile Armor, it would be like having the power of the Build Burning or the Shia's Dancing Gundam on a much larger scale. That would probably be pretty drat powerful. The problem is that the people who use Mobile Armors seem to be trying to compensate for their lack of ability to make better smaller craft. Also Karima made his out of CGI instead of plastic, which probably had bad effects on its performance.

Well, Sugita's guy (whose name I'll probably never remember) claimed he put a lot of work into it and it was built specifically to defeat the Gunpla Academy. You can call the dude a liar/misguided/whatever but he got clowned by a single robot.

You're right, it must have been all the CGI. He should have known that CGI always sucks in Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Sugita's guy (whose name I'll probably never remember) claimed he put a lot of work into it and it was built specifically to defeat the Gunpla Academy. You can call the dude a liar/misguided/whatever but he got clowned by a single robot.

You're right, it must have been all the CGI. He should have known that CGI always sucks in Gundam.

To be fair, the Portent's brand-new and he'd had no way to plan for it. He really might have been fully prepared to deal with the Transient and The End.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, the Portent's brand-new and he'd had no way to plan for it. He really might have been fully prepared to deal with the Transient and The End.

Yeah, that's the real reason that he made Shia fight alone, he didn't want his Gundam to get wrecked.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pyroi posted:

A good example of this concept was the Build Fighters beach episode, where Mao and Sei/Reiji faced the loan shark guy in the Apsalus III. That was a worlds-class Mobile Armor, and it very nearly pushed both of their shits in. Without Mao having already known about Plavsky bullshit, and having a no-Moon satellite cannon gimmick, they'd have lost.

Karima's Metal Vagan Gear would have been rolled hard by that Apsalus.

* It is worth noting that Shia is the only person so far who seems to be able to build suits that manipulate Plavsky particles at the Nationals level. The BBG does, but it was built by Sei, who is a Worlds level builder. Running through space, skating on beams, etc is all Plavsky bullshit. Fumina has a suit with lots of gimmicks, but nothing on the level of Plavsky fuckery. And Yuuma is just really overtuned. (Did he actually -do- anything to the BBG-T? I'm still not clear that he did anything more than add transparent parts.) Saga's The End is a pretty clear example of a brute force suit. Wilfrid might have some Plavsky fuckery, but I can't tell.

The only other group that might have been doing weird Plavsky poo poo was the Ez8-SR team. But like Wilfrid, how much of that is just them gluing Radomes onto Ez8s and saying they're jamming pods... I'm leaning toward that explanation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

It is worth noting that Shia is the only person so far who seems to be able to build suits that manipulate Plavsky particles at the Nationals level. The BBG does, but it was built by Sei, who is a Worlds level builder. Running through space, skating on beams, etc is all Plavsky bullshit. Fumina has a suit with lots of gimmicks, but nothing on the level of Plavsky fuckery. And Yuuma is just really overtuned. (Did he actually -do- anything to the BBG-T? I'm still not clear that he did anything more than add transparent parts.) Saga's The End is a pretty clear example of a brute force suit. Wilfrid might have some Plavsky fuckery, but I can't tell.

It's also worth noting that both Lady, Shia and I think Yuuki have stated that the Build Burning needed to be tuned up (by Sekai no less, though under Shia's supervision) to actually be able to compete with Wilfred's Transient Gundam. Sei may have built it and put lots of plavsky fuckery in to it, but it's no longer up to snuff regardless. I would assume it was a case that time, and lack of care while sat in another gunpla inside a statue for several years had caused the parts to degrade, but it could also be that the same way plavsky hacks caused a revolution in the game during the 7th World Championships, another revolution or refinement during the intervening years has caused it to fall behind the curve. A lot of the really significant stuff that Build Burning has been doing is down to Sekai himself, not anything Sei put in to it by Yuuki's own words too, with the assimilation stuff he's been pulling.

How this gels with how impressed with the basic construction of the Build Burning Yuuma was once he pulled it apart and saw the complete skeleton with transparent plavsky parts I've no idea - but it's apparently the case regardless. Build Burning wasn't actually a world's level build for one reason or another, and it's only recently been put on the level of it's competition thanks to tuning it twice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

It's also worth noting that both Lady, Shia and I think Yuuki have stated that the Build Burning needed to be tuned up (by Sekai no less, though under Shia's supervision) to actually be able to compete with Wilfred's Transient Gundam. Sei may have built it and put lots of plavsky fuckery in to it, but it's no longer up to snuff regardless. I would assume it was a case that time, and lack of care while sat in another gunpla inside a statue for several years had caused the parts to degrade, but it could also be that the same way plavsky hacks caused a revolution in the game during the 7th World Championships, another revolution or refinement during the intervening years has caused it to fall behind the curve. A lot of the really significant stuff that Build Burning has been doing is down to Sekai himself, not anything Sei put in to it by Yuuki's own words too, with the assimilation stuff he's been pulling.

How this gels with how impressed with the basic construction of the Build Burning Yuuma was once he pulled it apart and saw the complete skeleton with transparent plavsky parts I've no idea - but it's apparently the case regardless. Build Burning wasn't actually a world's level build for one reason or another, and it's only recently been put on the level of it's competition thanks to tuning it twice.

Well, it was World Level once since Sei used it there in a previous championship. It's probably that it degraded or something over time.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The first thing China bought (starter set) was a gift for Yuuma, although IIRC, she painted it for him. She got the Beargguy when she asked Sei if there were any gunpla made for girls.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm actually really happy that they've managed to somewhat keep the power level lower than that of Build Fighters. It would be really easy for the staff to forget that this is only a National tournament for minors and that poo poo can't get as crazy as it did in the previous show. It also makes the G-Portent stand out a great deal, since she actually has a BF-level Gunpla.

This thing goes hand in hand with Yuuki dropping into an earlier fight and just being outright untouchable. Even some of the cannon fodder mooks from BF (like the Zanspine Victory 2 that blocked a goddamn satellite cannon) would probably run a train all over these kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it was World Level once since Sei used it there in a previous championship. It's probably that it degraded or something over time.

I thought it had something to do with the fact it hadn't been tuned up or even repaired since Sekai found it. Even at damage level B it's still gonna take a beating.

• Locked thread