Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shonen manga > shonen anime

unless it's made after the manga is done/nearly done, so it can actually be well-paced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

unless it's made after the manga is done/nearly done, so it can actually be well-paced

Holy poo poo yes. Even One Piece, which has really good filler, started getting horribly horribly paced.

loving Marineford.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

I have a hard time getting into a lot of other shounen anime. I think I just discovered DBZ at the right time for me. I tried to shotgun Naruto episodes, and made it up until he goes against a giant frog? (it's been a while), before I lost interest. It's like a 19 minute show, 6 of which are the credits, and 1-2 minutes of recap. It's a grueling slog.

Ugh, I know what you mean. Whenever I hear about a great series that's so good oh man you have to see/read it and then I go look it up and it's over 300 chapters I just kinda sigh and ignore it. There was a point in time, namely when I was a teenager, that catching up to a huge series was an awesome adventure, and then reading it week after week was something to look forward to. Now I basically just read One Piece and a smattering of other good series that have chapter counts under 50, because I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with a super huge series anymore.

Most of them turn to poo poo after a while, too, I stopped reading Bleach ages ago and have no desire to catch up, and the only reason I finished Naruto was because of a bet I had with a buddy at work (I'd read Naruto if he read One Piece), and also cause it actually loving ended. (in the best way possible, too)

For DragonBall Z, hell for Dragonball in it's entirety, I watched it all on YTV as it was airing, and it was drat good fun when I was a kid, but if I was to sit down and try to watch it now I'd probably give up before I even started, it's just too long and I have other, newer series I want to read instead.

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo yes. Even One Piece, which has really good filler, started getting horribly horribly paced.

loving Marineford.

I'm pretty sure that's cause Toei fired the director and most of the talent on the staff somewhere around Impel Down; there's a five episode stretch of nothing but flashbacks where I can almost see everybody packing up their things and leaving the office empty of talent. One Piece the manga is fantastic, One Piece the anime is good up until it's bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's cause Toei fired the director and most of the talent on the staff somewhere around Impel Down; there's a five episode stretch of nothing but flashbacks where I can almost see everybody packing up their things and leaving the office empty of talent. One Piece the manga is fantastic, One Piece the anime is good up until it's bad.

Nah. The animation is definitely poorer now than it ever was, but the really big issue is the pacing, with their decision to slow it down until where it's now one chapter one episode, as opposed to having filler episodes/arcs.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Endorph posted:

I made peace with the fact that, while I love manga, aside from the occasional limited run thing or movie I don't really like anime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Nah. The animation is definitely poorer now than it ever was, but the really big issue is the pacing, with their decision to slow it down until where it's now one chapter one episode, as opposed to having filler episodes/arcs.

Well, yeah, that's what I said.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Somehow I conned my wife into watching Abridged with me and she loves it even though she doesn't necessarily get what they're making fun of, so now she's actually getting curious about the show. So I showed her the first Broly movie since it was on Adult Swim one night and she liked that.. and then I bought "Battle of the Gods" and she liked that too. I've got a bunch of the Bluray "double features" on the way. I never knew my wife would enjoy punchman animes. She'd never even seen anime before I made her watch 'Attack on Titan' (and a little Full Metal Alchemist way back). (She flipped her poo poo when I told her we wouldn't get any kind of follow-up on 'Titan' for a couple years.)

Did Shenron hear my wish? :pray:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, yeah, that's what I said.

That's not a thing that started at Impel Down at all, though. You can see it very transparently beginning to head in that direction from Enies Lobby onwards, what with it's 5-10 minute recaps of the previous episode starting at that point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

New Leaf posted:

Did Shenron hear my wish? :pray:

Whenever I showed Dragon Ball Z to the girl I loved she just sighed and said the animation was bad. :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Holy poo poo. http://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-sneakers-are-real-1682091091

I would unironically wear the Capsule Corp ones.

And apparently you can't buy these outside of loving Mexico.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Famitsu's review has been translated. Story mode takes 15 hours to complete, and they estimate 100 hours to unlock all content.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Holy poo poo. http://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-sneakers-are-real-1682091091

I would unironically wear the Capsule Corp ones.

And apparently you can't buy these outside of loving Mexico.

At $27 each I doubt think they'll be well made unfortunately.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Is this when we all say wow those are great I'm buying a pair? cos those are some disgusting looking shoes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Is this when we all say wow those are great I'm buying a pair? cos those are some disgusting looking shoes.

yeah I goddamn love DBZ but those shoes look awful.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

No, the Trunks ones are cool. Shut up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The best fake real shoes are still Ripley's Reebok Alien Stompers.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I want a pair of Master Roshi's sandals.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Firstborn posted:

The best fake real shoes are still Ripley's Reebok Alien Stompers.

False.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well played.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Man, I turn my back on this thread for a couple hours and it goes from talking about One Piece, to significant others watching anime, to shoes.

So, is there an ETA on History of Trunks Abridged? I know they said the next episode wouldn't be until next month, but does that mean History of Trunks will be this month?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"The libs are surely gonna shout racism over this one, but this is what happens when you elect a Dog as king!"

The small jokes are the best.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Prison Warden posted:

"The libs are surely gonna shout racism over this one, but this is what happens when you elect a Dog as king!"

The small jokes are the best.

The funny thing about King Dog is that he got his position by collecting the Dragon Balls. He didn't even need any fancy radar, neither.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rudoku posted:

The funny thing about King Dog is that he got his position by collecting the Dragon Balls. He didn't even need any fancy radar, neither.

Gonna need the source on this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rudoku posted:

That does not sound like a thing that was ever mentioned in the series, so yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this unless you can show that Toriyama mentioned it at some point.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

That does not sound like a thing that was ever mentioned in the series, so yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this unless you can show that Toriyama mentioned it at some point.

Bulma mentions in the first chapter that the last person to gather the Dragon Balls wished to become King. Though it probably wasn't King Dog since it happened over 100 years before DB started.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rudoku posted:

I choose to believe this is canon because that is hilarious.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Horrible Taste posted:

Bulma mentions in the first chapter that the last person to gather the Dragon Balls wished to become King. Though it probably wasn't King Dog since it happened over 100 years before DB started.

That's where I heard it from, but I forgot about the 100 years part.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Rudoku posted:

That's where I heard it from, but I forgot about the 100 years part.

King Dog's ancestor obviously wished for a hereditary monarchy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know exactly how it went down.

Poor Shenron.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

TenaciousJ posted:

King Dog's ancestor obviously wished for a hereditary monarchy.

According to the DragonBall wiki, this is probably possibly true.

I'm going to choose to believe it's true, because it's funny.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Well, however he got the position, if there's anyone I'd want to have as a world king, it'd be a dog. Loyal, defending those they care for, sounds like good king qualities.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yoyomama posted:

Well, however he got the position, if there's anyone I'd want to have as a world king, it'd be a dog. Loyal, defending those they care for, sounds like good king qualities.

Under his rule Mark "Hercule" Satan got credit for saving the world even though he knew Goku saved it. Half the Army got destroyed. Piccolo got ressurected and took over the world and the guy who saved it several times got no recognition.

Some leader.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Goku didn't want the recognition though. So everyone wins

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Never said he'd be a smart leader.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
his name is also King Furry.

he rules throughout the entirety of Dragon Ball, and through Dragon Ball GT.

So he's clearly doing SOMETHING right.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
New 7 minute Xenoverse trailer showing off different characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu3g7uv_sUQ

I like the shot of a Cell and Cell Jr. Father-Son Kamehameha.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stallion Cabana posted:

his name is also King Furry.

he rules throughout the entirety of Dragon Ball, and through Dragon Ball GT.

So he's clearly doing SOMETHING right.

He's a King. He doesn't have to anything right to stay in power that long, he just has to live.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Why does it look like the player is controlling the bad guy for most of those battles?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm pretty drat hype for the game. Also, you can sort of play as the bad guy - there's some sort of extra missions where you can.
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2015/01/dragon-ball-xenoverse-play-as-villainous-characters-new-story-mode-info/

One gripe I have is it seems like when you go Super Saiyan, your hair doesn't change, just the color. I wonder if you pick one of those flat 17/Trunks style hairs if it'll just turn gold, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

sharktamer posted:

Why does it look like the player is controlling the bad guy for most of those battles?

It looks like those are the 'evil' versions where the Time Breakers disrupt the time stream and make them stronger.

I liked the look of Jeice and Burter's new specials.

EDIT: ^ that article is kind of weird in language. So if you fail the mission as the Villanious you don't get to play it again? Or you have to get a new high score again?

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2015

• Locked thread