Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hi goons.

I currently have a Chromecast. Since NFL gamepass doesn't let me cast directly to the Chromecast to watch American Football games in my region :911: I have to tab cast from a PC. I'm wondering if the FireTV stick can be a tab cast target, or if I can at least sideload the app and watch full screen on the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Sideload. Where do you live?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pennsylvania. When I'd go to cast from the app on my Nexus 7 to my Chromecast, it would bitch about blackout restrictions and what not.

But for $40 I don't have much to lose, I guess.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Isnt NFL Gamepass non-US only? aren't you using Unblock US or some other DNS location spoofer?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Kind of, it is available in the US but almost everything is blocked out.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Gyshall posted:

Kind of, it is available in the US but almost everything is blocked out.

I pay for a DNS location spoofer and Chromecast + Game Pass works beautifully.

Edit: This is through the actual GamePass site, rather than just tab casting.

If you have a FireTV, you can sideload XBMC and use the GamePass Addon to use GamePass as well. - https://github.com/Alexqw/xbmc-gamepass

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Really? Interesting. I use Adfreetime but couldn't cast from Gamepass.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is the HBO GO app from Amazon appstore not available for Fire TV Stick? I can't seem to install it from the Amazon website.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Is the HBO GO app from Amazon appstore not available for Fire TV Stick? I can't seem to install it from the Amazon website.

Not until this spring or so... Hopefully before GOT comes back.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

To rekindle sleepchat, I was watching a Prime TV show last night, paused it, turned everything else off and something prevented my Fire TV from going to sleep which somehow caused it to overheat during the night. The LED was orange which apparently is an indicator of that. The LED went white again pretty quickly after rearranging things and getting it a bit more clearance over the top. I'm assuming something was working in the background that caused it to not sleep and overheat.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Don't you dare blame Amazon, though. It's the app developers who are fudging it all up! /s

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Raymn posted:

To rekindle sleepchat, I was watching a Prime TV show last night, paused it, turned everything else off and something prevented my Fire TV from going to sleep which somehow caused it to overheat during the night. The LED was orange which apparently is an indicator of that. The LED went white again pretty quickly after rearranging things and getting it a bit more clearance over the top. I'm assuming something was working in the background that caused it to not sleep and overheat.

I'm pretty sure it won't go to sleep when a video's paused. You can back out of it and Amazon will save your place.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm sure you'll defend that decision, btw. Why should a media streaming device eventually sleep when something is paused? Obviously the viewer is just taking a break to read War and Peace or something. They'll be back eventually so might as well keep the loving thing running.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm pretty sure it won't go to sleep when a video's paused. You can back out of it and Amazon will save your place.

Which I guess is understandable but I would really prefer it to go to sleep even if something is paused. It seems kind of odd it would overheat though. Maybe I'll watch the LotR movies to see if normal playback over 12 hours will do the same thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm sure you'll defend that decision, btw. Why should a media streaming device eventually sleep when something is paused? Obviously the viewer is just taking a break to read War and Peace or something. They'll be back eventually so might as well keep the loving thing running.

Write me 15 more paragraphs on how Amazon should some how override 3rd party apps and android flags because you black out in front of your 2004 plasma tv every night. And be sure to belligerently reply to every single response for the next two pages as people try to explain it to you.

Raymn posted:

Which I guess is understandable but I would really prefer it to go to sleep even if something is paused. It seems kind of odd it would overheat though. Maybe I'll watch the LotR movies to see if normal playback over 12 hours will do the same thing.

Yeah, overheating is weird. Is it the Stick or big Fire TV?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Write me 15 more paragraphs on how Amazon should some how override 3rd party apps and android flags because you black out in front of your 2004 plasma tv every night. And be sure to belligerently reply to every single response for the next two pages as people try to explain it to you.

As annoying as he may be, he's right. Every single consumer electronic that displays on a TV has had an automatic sleep when left on, no matter what it is displaying. My Roku does it for every single app, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, HBO, etc. It doesn't matter what I have on, my Roku knows that if it's been idle, it needs to go to sleep.

Amazon needs to figure it out, because it's a feature on every single other device, including videogame systems, DVD players, Blu-ray players, and every other streaming device. The last device I remember not being able to do this was VHS, and that's not a good thing to be compared to.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: nevermind

Just turn the goddamn TV off when you're sleepy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Such a lazy, stupid loving response. Raymn did turn his TV off and the Fire TV still didn't power down or sleep or standby or whatever and the loving thing overheated. Stop dismissing problems as faults of the user and just say "yeah man the loving thing should hibernate like literally every other device ever" and stop being so loving pointlessly defensive over a consumer product.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, overheating is weird. Is it the Stick or big Fire TV?

Big Fire TV and only like two months old. If it does it again I'm going to chat with Amazon and see if they will RMA me a new one. I already had to get the remote replaced because the right directional working would be inconsistent. I don't mind it not going to sleep as long as it doesn't do weird poo poo like this. Seems like an odd time to overheat though.

Edit: Just chatted with Amazon. If the screensaver was active (which it was) that means the Fire TV should have considered itself inactive and gone to sleep after 30 minutes. I have XBMC installed but I haven't used it in a week (and the Fire TV has gone to sleep during that time) plus I'm not sure if it can over-ride something like that anyway.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 23, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Such a lazy, stupid loving response. Raymn did turn his TV off and the Fire TV still didn't power down or sleep or standby or whatever and the loving thing overheated. Stop dismissing problems as faults of the user and just say "yeah man the loving thing should hibernate like literally every other device ever" and stop being so loving pointlessly defensive over a consumer product.

I'm gay!!!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just turn the goddamn TV off when you're sleepy.

:slick:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fremry posted:

As annoying as he may be, he's right. Every single consumer electronic that displays on a TV has had an automatic sleep when left on, no matter what it is displaying.
Tivos don't.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

They should get on that.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Amazon Fire TV - We still haven't figured out how to actually turn the thing off

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PuTTY riot posted:

Amazon Fire TV - We still haven't figured out how to actually turn the thing off

Amazon Fire TV - Why does it black out on my 2004 plasma TV?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Raymn posted:

Big Fire TV and only like two months old. If it does it again I'm going to chat with Amazon and see if they will RMA me a new one. I already had to get the remote replaced because the right directional working would be inconsistent. I don't mind it not going to sleep as long as it doesn't do weird poo poo like this. Seems like an odd time to overheat though.
Mine doesn't sleep if i leave XBMC open with a video paused, and it has never overheated as you describe. I purchased my first one about a week after launch.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

adorai posted:

Mine doesn't sleep if i leave XBMC open with a video paused, and it has never overheated as you describe. I purchased my first one about a week after launch.

I wasn't in XBMC when mine overheated.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone know if the Superbowl will be available on either ESPN or NBC Live Extra (Or even Fox Sports?)? I have a Xfinity Log in with the sports package and I have Xfinity sideloaded onto a Fire TV Stick. Just wondering if I can host our Superbowl party before embarrassing myself.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rurutia posted:

Does anyone know if the Superbowl will be available on either ESPN or NBC Live Extra (Or even Fox Sports?)? I have a Xfinity Log in with the sports package and I have Xfinity sideloaded onto a Fire TV Stick. Just wondering if I can host our Superbowl party before embarrassing myself.

According to this article, yes via NBC Live Extra. I dunno what Xfinity on a firetv stick shows up as, I'm assuming a tablet?

quote:

NBCUniversal has announced a promotion called “Super Stream Sunday, which allows consumers to stream 11 continuous hours of content related to the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 1st. NBC’s live stream programming includes the Super Bowl XLIX game between the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots; the halftime show starring Katy Perry and Lenny Kravitz; the pre- and post-game shows; and the midseason debut of The Blacklist TV show.

You will not be required to log in to any cable subscription services to access the content. It will be available through NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra app on iPads, Android tablets and the iPod Touch. NBC said that they do not have live streaming rights to mobile devices so you will not be able to watch it on iPhones or Android smartphones. If you plan to watch the Super Bowl live outside of the U.S. or Mexico, you can find it on the NFL Game Pass service for a price of $9.99.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2015/01/21/watch-super-bowl-xlix-online/

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

According to this article, yes via NBC Live Extra. I dunno what Xfinity on a firetv stick shows up as, I'm assuming a tablet?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2015/01/21/watch-super-bowl-xlix-online/

Ok. Thanks, I saw the mobile device restriction and got nervous.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rurutia posted:

Ok. Thanks, I saw the mobile device restriction and got nervous.

Yeah, verizon has exclusive rights for phones, so hopefully should be good with the fire stick.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I'm having trouble understanding this sideloading stuff. I tried running the app and it connects to my Fire TV stick but it gives an error when I try to load XBMC. The error is "error: more than one device and emulator" or "error: protocol fault (status read)". Then says "-waiting for device-". I've tried googling the errors and get other people mentioning the issue but no solution. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Quid posted:

I'm having trouble understanding this sideloading stuff. I tried running the app and it connects to my Fire TV stick but it gives an error when I try to load XBMC. The error is "error: more than one device and emulator" or "error: protocol fault (status read)". Then says "-waiting for device-". I've tried googling the errors and get other people mentioning the issue but no solution. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Just grab spmc off the Amazon appstore

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not until this spring or so... Hopefully before GOT comes back.

If you can find the specific apk file for the FireTV online somewhere, you can sideload it no problem, works without issue, if maybe with a very small delay when selecting media.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Photex posted:

Just grab spmc off the Amazon appstore
SPMC isn't available for the Fire TV stick. I'm more interested in sideloading the Xfinity app so I can watch a few shows on there that I otherwise don't have access to but I guess it's not a big deal. I can just keep using my 360.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Quid posted:

SPMC isn't available for the Fire TV stick. I'm more interested in sideloading the Xfinity app so I can watch a few shows on there that I otherwise don't have access to but I guess it's not a big deal. I can just keep using my 360.

I tried sideloading the xfinity app and honestly it isn't worth it. I needed a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to get it to work. I'm now using Kodi and Genesis addon and honestly it's a million times better than xfinity or any other android sideloaded app. Maybe give it another try, I used a walk thru similar to: http://trendblog.net/setup-kodi-xbmc-fire-tv-run-1080p-content/

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 30, 2015

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Any n64 emulators work well with the stick? Tried mupen64plus and analog sticks are super laggy

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So I just picked up a fire TV and so far I like it. My only real complaint, I knew going in, is the level of integration of amazon services into the home screen. I see in the OP that you can add custom launchers, and firedtv is mentioned.

Do people have good experiences with that or any other launchers to recommend? My needs are real basic. Amazon, Netflix, hbogo Hulu+ and Plex basically. But I'd rather look at a home screen with just those than with 100 suggestions from amazon.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My unmodded Fire TV has Hbo Go and Netflix right at the top of the Recent field. No real reason to navigate to any other part of the UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some new apps I noticed.

Pokémon TV http://www.amazon.com/The-Pok%C3%A9mon-Company-International-TV/dp/B00J43WTR6
Goat Simulator ($2.99) http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Stain-Studios-Goat-Simulator/dp/B00NWLIW0E
Digital Trends http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Trends/dp/B00S6TLDIK
Deus Ex Machina: 30th Anniversary ($5.99) http://www.amazon.com/DEUS-MACHINA-GAME-ANNIVERSARY-COLLECTORS/dp/B00SJJQCNI
Muzecast for Fire TV ($1.99) http://www.amazon.com/VORLAN-Group-Inc-Muzecast-Fire/dp/B00SWFTPG0
Willow TV (Cricket streaming service) http://www.amazon.com/Willow-TV-International-Inc/dp/B00RTJLD1A

emocrat posted:

So I just picked up a fire TV and so far I like it. My only real complaint, I knew going in, is the level of integration of amazon services into the home screen. I see in the OP that you can add custom launchers, and firedtv is mentioned.

Do people have good experiences with that or any other launchers to recommend? My needs are real basic. Amazon, Netflix, hbogo Hulu+ and Plex basically. But I'd rather look at a home screen with just those than with 100 suggestions from amazon.

If you sideload Kodi, it's possible to link android apps on its home screen with a skin like Amber. Like mine has my videos, various Kodi add-ons, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Tune In Radio on the home screen plus a lot more android apps (like PBS and Crackle) in my favorites. You can't add baked in Amazon stuff like Video/Music/Photos but you can already access all of that on the real home page.

Or

ShoogaSlim posted:

My unmodded Fire TV has Hbo Go and Netflix right at the top of the Recent field. No real reason to navigate to any other part of the UI

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread