Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is surprising, but some people just have to have all of them. Last night I was at my friend's place for a small party and there was Smash going on, some neckbearded goon got invited and he brought a circular lunch sack with him and in it were 8~ amiibos. Each of them were level 50 and the two that he used (Mario and Peach) were named "Ronin" and "Hime" respectively. He wore a lanyard around his neck which seemed to be his "everyday carry" because hung from it were his keys and hit wallet (what the gently caress). He also didn't talk with anyone that night, just sat on the couch and played Smash the whole time.

Sounds like my kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bef posted:

lol I completely missed this post

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

I really wish I made it up. These people are the smelling salts whenever I get the thought of "Maybe I should check out a Smash tournament one of these days."

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

mabels big day posted:

Do you actually like Rosalina and ZSS

Ok I guess I'll answer this. I was playing them because I seem to do pretty well with ZSS after getting her in a random and I like the concept of Rosalina's gimmick with Luma and spacing and whatnot. For what it's worth, I liked Mario Galaxy quite a bit and thought Rosalina was a cool character in that. I never played a game with ZSS. I've also been trying to play Wii Fit Trainer a bit because I found it funny that they were in the game, and I've been playing Robin a bit as well because I liked FE:Awakening.

As far as past history with Smash, I've always done best with Bowser, but the majority of the time playing with friends, we all just picked "Random" for everything. I never really got all that good at the game. I still pick "random" a lot when I'm playing, even by myself, but I guess I just want to learn a character that isn't Bowser.

I hope this gave you a deep insight into my psyche and my video fighting game preferences.

Oh you will also enjoy that I have a lot of amiibos because I think they're kinda fun to collect and I've been playing Nintendo games with a lot of them for the last 25-30 years or so.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Punch Out is my favorite game, and I went as Little Mac for Halloween. I am also completely useless in the air. Am I allowed to keep playing Little Mac?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Punch Out is my favorite game, and I went as Little Mac for Halloween. I am also completely useless in the air. Am I allowed to keep playing Little Mac?

I'm not sure. There's a limited number of reasons you're allowed to pick characters without it being "weird" or "creepy" so I guess you'll have to think about it a bit more.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Don't even think about posting in this thread unless you own a Robotic Operating Buddy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only character anyone is not allowed to like is diddy kong

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

the only character anyone is not allowed to like is diddy kong

diddy kong is cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
All of my mains are from my favorite games.

Because of this conversation, I am forsaking them and maining only Miis who look like characters from games I never played.... and I never even played Wii Sports.

Also Wario. (wario sucks)

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
I like Wii Fit Trainer because she is strange and funny.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zore posted:

Also Wario. (wario sucks)

WAAAAAAAA?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sire Oblivion posted:

I really wish I made it up. These people are the smelling salts whenever I get the thought of "Maybe I should check out a Smash tournament one of these days."

The one I went too wasn't too bad. Just gotta remember you're going to a gathering of people who play a ton of Smash.

also lol

Sire Oblivion posted:

When you find this unicorn let me know.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I have taken quite a shine to Shulk but I never finished his game because it's so loving LONG. Awesome as gently caress but so, so long.

So I'm just gonna go ahead with the seppuku over here

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mabels big day posted:

i legitimately haven't played melee in probably at least 7 years.

and yeah, lemme just fire up this extremely illegal mod of brawl, which is completely disrespectful towards sakurai, made explicitly for the purpose of trying to "fix" sakurai's "lovely" game. no loving thanks.

How is Project M illegal or disrespectful? It's some fans wanting something different and making it. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no reason to make poo poo up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

How is Project M illegal or disrespectful? It's some fans wanting something different and making it. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no reason to make poo poo up.

oh my god

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

mabels big day posted:

At the very least, appreciation of the character is required. smash is first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo, and to play a random character you don't even know is to disrespect that character and franchise.

This is from a few pages back but its lame.

I play Marth but Marth is like both the worst Fire Emblem protagonists and is from the worst Fire Emblem game. I wish Samus had his gameplay or mechanics but since she doesn't I play Marth right now.

jivjov posted:

It's not either, especially now that Nintendo has literally stated in their ToS that people are allowed to use their characters for non-profit fangames and creative pursuits.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

laplace posted:

but Marth is like both the worst Fire Emblem protagonists
Leif and Roy existing make this a blatant lie

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I use Ike because he's from my favorite fire emblem game and I want to use robin even though she's from my least favorite fire emblem game

I also use wii fit trainer and I've never touched wii fit

I am sorry, mabels big day.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Leif and Roy existing make this a blatant lie

Roy is awesome, and is a nice person, unlike Marth who is both a bad person and an incompetent loser.

Leif is unforgivable though I will give you that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I play Lucina because she is from my favorite fire emblem game and don't like Ike because he is in one of the worst fire emblem games.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

I play Lucina because she is from my favorite fire emblem game and don't like Ike because he is in one of the worst fire emblem games.

:yikes:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

laplace posted:

It's not either, especially now that Nintendo has literally stated in their ToS that people are allowed to use their characters for non-profit fangames and creative pursuits.

That'd be cool if it were true but it isn't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Radiant Dawn is really bad as a whole product. Great mechanics, badly designed everything else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

jivjov posted:

Not just illegal, extremely illegal.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

That'd be cool if it were true but it isn't.

Except it is. Glad I could help.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

radiant dawn is kind of mediocre and was profoundly disappointing

but it had the better ike design, so I am grateful for it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ike has big muscles, which no other Fire Emblem representative can claim. Ike has the biggest muscles of anyone who is not a lizard, including Grandpa.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Tae posted:

Radiant Dawn is really bad as a whole product. Great mechanics, badly designed everything else.

So the reverse fire emblem awakening then

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

laplace posted:

Roy is awesome, and is a nice person, unlike Marth who is both a bad person and an incompetent loser.

Leif is unforgivable though I will give you that.

Hey man Roy is terrible; hits level 20 unpromoted like 2/5 of the way through his game and becomes a deadweight liability for the next 2/5 until he finally hits his plot promotion and gets the Sealed Sword, a breakable super weapon.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

That's not Roy's fault, he's just a product of poor balancing. He's a good person.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Leif is a noble soul who fights bravely against insurmountable odds and continues to do so in the face of numerous defeats, and through hardship achieves the power of a Master Knight to avenge his parents, he deserves respect.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

laplace posted:

Except it is. Glad I could help.

This doesn't cover lifting the entire source code of one of their games wholesale

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

This doesn't cover lifting the entire source code of one of their games wholesale

I don't know what you're getting at here? PM isn't its own game. It's just a mod. There's no source code to lift -- everything that is PM is built by the PM team on top of brawl. It literally sits on top of Nintendo's code. They've literally gone out of their way not to modify things too intensely, for example the whole reason why the Brawl Tether is still in PM is that they would need to actively modify brawl's code in order to change it, so they opted not to switch it.

I don't understand where all of this really weird misunderstanding of PM comes from. It's a mod. It doesn't fix anything, it just changes it. It's not out to disrespect Sakurai or to replace Brawl. It's literally its own thing that is made by people who wanted to make something instead of just complaining about it, and it's made almost entirely by scratch, painstakingly animated using their own assets, and rebalanced without doing anything to the brawl disc it relies on whatsoever. The stigma towards it is really, really strange.

You literally need Brawl to play PM. They're not distributing the Brawl source code or doing anything illegal by providing the code to run it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No one talks about Project M's greatest sin: no PS1-era look for Snake.

Even Ground Zeroes got that right.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

No one talks about Project M's greatest sin: no PS1-era look for Snake.

Even Ground Zeroes got that right.

This may make you a very happy person.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh God the final smash form.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mycot posted:

Oh God the final smash form.

"It's showtime LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID"

*Snake defeats mario with super saiyan CQC*

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I have nothing but mad respect for the devs of project M but its diehard fans who treat it like it's its own game are pretty annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wild Knight posted:

I have nothing but mad respect for the devs of project M but its diehard fans who treat it like it's its own game are pretty annoying

If anything the people that hate it are the ones that think it's its own game since apparently some people didn't know it needs Brawl to work.

• Locked thread