Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Need this in my veins like now.

Here have a webm. http://webmshare.com/play/OnerP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

You're imagining the original Dragons Dogma just with online co-op and I'd be willing to bet that's not what Dragons Dogma Online will turn out to be.

i actually think it's gonna be PSO except with dragon's dogma combat and f2p dressup and probably like lives and premium equipment or something

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, frankly a lot of what DD does can be replicated in an online game, what with most quests being from stationary quest givers and message boards like MMOs already do. They said you play with, what, three or four other people or pawns at most? With a smaller scale and numbers you're not going to have a ton of people mucking up marketplaces and crowding the quest givers, nor are you likely to see people finishing a quest you're trying to complete and dragging a copy of the plot critical NPC past someone else with the exact same NPC on the same quest. It'll probably be more of a Diablo/Bordlerands-esque set up.

The idea of pay items rankles me some, but it doesn't bother me as much as it could since it's at least hypothetically a coop experience, so if you don't want someone with overpowered poo poo ruining your day, don't play with them. And DD already was selling items for pay with its DLC.

edit: ^^^ never played PSO, so I'd have to take your word on that comparison.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If I join parties without pawns, I'll make sure to remind everyone that Wolves hunt in packs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lotish posted:

Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still.

Augh! Soaked to the bone...

psst:
here's a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHA-wb44MQ4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what a large tree

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fereydun posted:

psst:
here's a trailer

Ah yessss, I'm going to relearn some moon speak to play a stabby stabby game.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

You're imagining the original Dragons Dogma just with online co-op and I'd be willing to bet that's not what Dragons Dogma Online will turn out to be.

I feel that you discount the very real possibility that there would never ever be another DD game again, which was most of ours greatest fear. Just the IP being alive in Capcoms mind means a lot. The game may not deliver in every sense but holy poo poo, Capcom is keeping it alive.

Someday a true DD2 will exist, is what we can now imagine.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Ah yessss, I'm going to relearn some moon speak to play a stabby stabby game.

Im gonna gently caress that Griffin up!

I did gently caress that griffin up. thanks random book buying mage that showed up at the last second THAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 29, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If this f2p thing is successful why on earth would they ever go back to the original style of game

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Supreme Allah posted:

I did gently caress that griffin up. thanks random book buying mage that showed up at the last second THAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS

I was quite surprised when he showed up, because I didn't foresee any repercussions from having counterfeited that item and kept the original. :v:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Rime posted:

I was quite surprised when he showed up, because I didn't foresee any repercussions from having counterfeited that item and kept the original. :v:

And that item is a real piece of poo poo too for such a supposedly legendary one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It also makes little sense once you encounter its creator later on. I chalk it up as another symptom of how the game was pulled together from the remnants of a grander design.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fereydun posted:

psst:
here's a trailer

Don't forget the recommendations to use fire on almost everything.

That trailer's pretty rad but lol like every fighting scene was obviously in an area from the original game.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 29, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tower of druaga posted:

No Japanese developer makes games for PS4 if they don't intend to release it in the west because no one in Japan is buying that thing.

Have they just finally priced japanese people out of buying consoles or is there some other reason?

Some other developer should make a game where you climb on things and stab them in the head while on fire. Some better promotion and it will probably sell better too

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

I feel that you discount the very real possibility that there would never ever be another DD game again, which was most of ours greatest fear. Just the IP being alive in Capcoms mind means a lot. The game may not deliver in every sense but holy poo poo, Capcom is keeping it alive.

Someday a true DD2 will exist, is what we can now imagine.

I guess you're right. If it was between this and the IP dying completely, I'd take this any day. Still though, I really think they should have just pulled a Dark Souls and ported the original game to PC where there is always a lack of and an insanely large demand for amazing open world RPGs then used the money from it to fund a sequel.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jose posted:

Have they just finally priced japanese people out of buying consoles or is there some other reason?

Some other developer should make a game where you climb on things and stab them in the head while on fire. Some better promotion and it will probably sell better too

It's more like they've priced japanese developers out of making console games.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Cmon Capcom, do the right thing. This is your chance to redeem yourself.

I mean at least they didn't turn it into a loving 3DS only franchise.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Cmon Capcom, do the right thing. This is your chance to redeem yourself.

I mean at least they didn't turn it into a loving 3DS only franchise.

if it was between that and the vita, no poo poo they went with the 3ds.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This isn't what I asked for, Capcom, but if I can still play a dual wielding assrogue, then it'll do.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Bet it's going to be IP Blocked.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

tower of druaga posted:

If this f2p thing is successful why on earth would they ever go back to the original style of game
If this F2P thing wasn't successful, why on earth would they ever go back to this franchise.
Besides, there is still that Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age money. But right now they can't get it. Dragma is too unknown. If the F2P game boosts the popularity of the franchise, they might have another shot at it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Bet it's going to be IP Blocked.
I'm curious now, is there a history of any console games IP blocking for region exclusivity?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Screenshots http://nichegamer.net/2015/01/herein-the-first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-dragons-dogma-online/

Whole thing looks and sounds like PSO which probably explains the PC thing since PSO2 has done well enough there

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Like why can't I just play that poo poo by myself. God drat

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They said you can party with three pawns if you want to. I'd imagine less pawns or solo mode is also an option, as it was in the original game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hope they make you pay real cash for pawn access lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I hope they make you pay real cash for pawn access lmao

With how impossible it is to generate RC other than buying it nowadays, Dark Arisen is basically at this level of F2P anyways. Purified 3 sets of gear last night, got the same ring every time, realized this was like a lovely mobile game. :smith:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I have over 4 million RC. :stare:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

tower of druaga posted:

Screenshots http://nichegamer.net/2015/01/herein-the-first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-dragons-dogma-online/

Whole thing looks and sounds like PSO which probably explains the PC thing since PSO2 has done well enough there

I hope your only option for a name is Arisen #.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know they've only confirmed four classes, but I'm curious since "shield sage" and "priest" were not classes in the original: Are priests replacing mages? Are Shield Sages just Mystic Knights with a new name? Are they launching with just a core four or will warriors and assassins and magic archers be back? For all the problem with the warrior class they were my favorite.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 30, 2015

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mad Dragon posted:

You're welcome.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lotish posted:

I know they've only confirmed four classes, but I'm curious since "shield sage" and "priest" were not classes in the original: Are priests replacing mages? Are Shield Sages just Mystic Knights with a new name? Are they launching with just a core four or will warriors and assassins magic archers be back? For all the problem with the warrior class they were my favorite.

They're most likely just different, more direct, translations of the Japanese class names.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mad Dragon posted:

The five highest ranked paws cost six figures to the power of three to hire. I dunno if someone was hacking or what. :v:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If this wasn't coming to the West then why is half the text in english?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For what it's worth, PSO2 was never localized to the west and dedicated fans translated the entire game, so if Capcom doesn't want our money it's up to the nerds to shove it down their throats anyways.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Rime posted:

The five highest ranked paws cost six figures to the power of three to hire. I dunno if someone was hacking or what. :v:

Probably. I was trying to look at the top ranked pawns earlier, and most of them were corrupt.

Neo Helbeast posted:

You're welcome.

Your contribution wasn't that much, but every penny is appreciated. :q:

My pawn is on the front page! :neckbeard:

http://game.capcom.com/dragonsdogma/en/index.html

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Im_Special posted:

If this wasn't coming to the West then why is half the text in english?

Why are all the voices in the Souls games English in all versions? It's not like they made those games for us first. Some game companies seem to really like using English--several games that are only released in Japan have English characters for name entry or English words on half the stat screen just because. Several Fire Emblem games I've played come to mind, where even though they never were intended for western release you can see stats clearly labeled with English and English used to name several important historical figures or the regions of the map. Hell, one game has the entire pre-game text crawl establishing the action and setting in English even though all dialogue is delivered in Japanese.

God drat I can't imagine getting that high level and still wanting to play. I want to say I stopped somewhere in the early 100s because I really wanted to reset my level without deleting my character. I really liked my character and pawn and didn't want to give them up just to start over. :(

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 30, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lotish posted:

God drat I can't imagine getting that high level and still wanting to play. I want to say I stopped somewhere in the early 100s because I really wanted to reset my level without deleting my character. I really liked my character and pawn and didn't want to give them up just to start over. :(

You can just create a new account for a new character, you know. Even on the 360, since XBL silver still gets you all of the online features in DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can also move save files around with an external memory source.

• Locked thread