Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Aurain posted:

suggests that Okuyasu, Koichi and Yukako will be confirmed soon.

Was there any doubt about Okuyasu or Koichi though? I mean Okuyaso doesn't actually do much but he's the main BroJo.

Am I the only one who prefers Diamond Is Not Crash over Diamond Is Unbreakable? It just flows so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

If I've read part 1 through 4, can I read 8 and skip back to 5 to 7 later, or is there something in 5 to 7 that will impact my enjoyment of 8?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

8 directly follows 7 I think so you should at least go read that first.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hallo spacedog posted:

If I've read part 1 through 4, can I read 8 and skip back to 5 to 7 later, or is there something in 5 to 7 that will impact my enjoyment of 8?

At least read part 7, it leads directly into 8.

Also, it's the best part.

Also, read parts 5 and 6, they're great too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

A lot of stuff in 8 wouldn't make much sense to someone who hasn't read 7.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why would you skip to the part that's not even finished yet

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why would you skip any part

ftfy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that much goes without saying but skipping to the part that's currently being made is incredibly baffling because it's not like it's going to go anywhere in the meanwhile if it's not read right this second

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why would you skip to the part that's not even finished yet

Because I'm like halfway through 5 and finding it a massive slog for various reasons, want to keep chipping at it slowly but have had multiple false starts in the past few months and finding it discouraging, and don't want to stop reading the series just cause of that.

I also like being "caught up with" series so I can just read them a week at a time.

Also, I have the books for 8 here while I would have to get 6 and 7.

Last of all, I loved 4 and Morioh-cho, I even read the novel a while back. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Part 5 has the excuse of having a lovely translation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, skip part 5 if anything, but there's really no reason to just skip right to jojolion

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
SBR is cool, your homework is to read SBR.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tell him to eat poo poo, Goons.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Tell him to eat poo poo, Goons.

Tell him yourself.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Because I'm like halfway through 5 and finding it a massive slog for various reasons, want to keep chipping at it slowly but have had multiple false starts in the past few months and finding it discouraging, and don't want to stop reading the series just cause of that.

I also like being "caught up with" series so I can just read them a week at a time.

Also, I have the books for 8 here while I would have to get 6 and 7.

Last of all, I loved 4 and Morioh-cho, I even read the novel a while back. :shrug:

EAT poo poo rear end in a top hat!!! FALL OFF YOUR HORSE!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I stopped reading Part 6 like almost halfway through and just wanted to start Steel Ball Run. But nah. Started Part 6 over and I'm gonna get through it this time.

I have to experience SBR and then know why the dick is extremely important.

For real though, don't skip JoJo parts. They're not gonna leave while you're catching up and even when JoJo is at it's lowest, it's still better than 85% of what you could be reading. I can understand wanting Part 5 to be done though. If it's really not clicking for you, just start Part 6.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Never read part 8 without part 7. You can (but shouldn't) read part 7 without reading 5 or 6.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
After all the talk in this thread I'm finally reading part 4, it's amazing so far, Josuke just punched a plate of spaghetti :allears:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Part 5 is hurt due to translation, but has a few of the best stand fights ever (Train fight!), and it would be silly to miss those.

Don't skip anything. Every part except 4/7 have lulls, but they all have something in them that makes it all worthwhile.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Darko posted:

Part 5 is hurt due to translation, but has a few of the best stand fights ever (Train fight!), and it would be silly to miss those.

Don't skip anything. Every part except 4/7 have lulls, but they all have something in them that makes it all worthwhile.

The talking hads/clash fight is also excellent.

Basically it has some of the best side character fights in the series imo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

The talking hads/clash fight is also excellent.

Basically it has some of the best side character fights in the series imo

Plus, zipperman is one of the best protagonists (Giorno is a side character to me, when I read it, and it really is a pure ensemble cast).

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Darko posted:

Not reading in translation, hated the train and got stuck there for a while before I was stuck where I am now and had to reread it about 4 times, hate boyband mafia, hate Italy as a whole.

Edit: to be fair the end of the train was great but getting in to it was hard for whatever reason

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 29, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Meanwhile in Florida:

Jolyne owns so much, holy poo poo. :allears:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So, Jojo 8. Higashikata family have the stands: California King Bed, Nut King Call, Paper Moon King, King Nothing (, and Jobin's stand as of unnamed). Yoshikage Kira has the stand Killer Queen.

What happens when you combine Kings and Queens?

You get Soft and Wet, sung by . . .

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

When people talk about skipping parts, I always assume they're talking about reading them out of order, not literally skipping parts forever.

So to clear up all this stuff once and for all: It's all worth reading, and no one here will tell you otherwise (without being shouted down).

But... you can skip part 5 and read the rest without missing anything.

If you went right to part 8, you'd miss some poo poo from part 7. You can pretty much start at part 7 if you wanted- the references to earlier parts are purely just fun cameos at that point, rather than plot/character poo poo.

That said, it's worth emphasizing again: Go back and read it all when you have time. Maybe wait for part 5 to be retranslated if that bothers you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Jolyne is hardcore as gently caress and is fuckin brutal as hell.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Only chumps skip Jojo story arcs.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Brannock posted:

So, Jojo 8. Higashikata family have the stands: California King Bed, Nut King Call, Paper Moon King, King Nothing (, and Jobin's stand as of unnamed). Yoshikage Kira has the stand Killer Queen.

What happens when you combine Kings and Queens?

You get Soft and Wet, sung by . . .

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh hey, I just remembered, the other day I watched the MST3K episode, Pumaman.

It involves an ancient Aztec mask which grants the user great power, being used by an evil man to take over the world, and the latest in a long line of fighters known for their mystic powers who has to stop him. This hero wears a flamboyant outfit and at one point intentionally stops his heart to fool the enemy into thinking he's dead.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

PU...MA MAN, HE FLIES LIKE A MO...RON

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Eiba posted:

When people talk about skipping parts, I always assume they're talking about reading them out of order, not literally skipping parts forever.

That's absolutely what I meant. I just thought maybe I could put 5 aside for a second and keep picking away at it while I read and caught up with the current chapters in 8, keep picking at 5 while reading 6, and then go to 7. I didn't mean forever at all...

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DamnGlitch posted:

PU...MA MAN, HE FLIES LIKE A MO...RON

When... you want... the flavor of bacon... in a dip

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

That's absolutely what I meant. I just thought maybe I could put 5 aside for a second and keep picking away at it while I read and caught up with the current chapters in 8, keep picking at 5 while reading 6, and then go to 7. I didn't mean forever at all...
Yeah, you're good.

I mean, I wouldn't go straight into 8. It follows from 7 pretty strongly in some parts. And actually, I think it spoils some things about the ending of 7.

The good news is, like everyone's already said, part 7 is fantastic and never drags or anything and the translation is fine.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Go ahead and save 5 for last, it's easily the worst of the arcs if read in English. It's still really good though, as everyone has said. I'd still go 6 -> 7 -> 8; you jump to seven, but a LOT of cool stuff happens in 6, and you can also weigh in on the most controversial ending to a JoJo arc. But seriously don't go straight to 8, it clearly builds off of part 7, which is also the best part of all, so seriously. Read Steel Ball Run. Johnny has to use his telekinetic fingernails to defeat the President of the United States, while avoiding falling into the traps of one Diego Brando!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been playing the Eyes of Heaven demo and if you're one of those losers who thinks that Japan is going to make all of their games run at 60FPS all of the time because it's on the PS4, you're really stupid. I will do a write-up in a minute, but man this game is not good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is both disappointing and completely within expectations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh snap, I better go remember my log in details.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
dino dio is lame as gently caress and all of his moves are "run towards the other guy and hit them"

joseph/strohiem machine guns last for 90000 years

none of the other characters really have fun gimmicks that would make this game interesting

you need to use overly elaborate/QTE filled supers to actually kill people in a reasonable timeframe instead of having them constantly revive over and over

terrible but still better than anarchy reigns but only by a little/10

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea how to find it on the store. Any tips?

e: never mind, I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

darealkooky posted:

dino dio is lame as gently caress and all of his moves are "run towards the other guy and hit them"

joseph/strohiem machine guns last for 90000 years

none of the other characters really have fun gimmicks that would make this game interesting

you need to use overly elaborate/QTE filled supers to actually kill people in a reasonable timeframe instead of having them constantly revive over and over

terrible but still better than anarchy reigns but only by a little/10

Aww that sucks. I was hoping it'd at least be dumb bad fun and not super tedious.

• Locked thread