Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think it works there, but the clothes removal is the part that pushes it right up to the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it works there, but the clothes removal is the part that pushes it right up to the line.

Everything else seems comical, the "embarass the gently caress out of him" part is the only part that seems reasonable. "Give him a bat to even the odds" and "injure him exactly enough to subdue him without causing any serious injuries" are the bullshit manuevers there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Everything else seems comical, the "embarass the gently caress out of him" part is the only part that seems reasonable. "Give him a bat to even the odds" and "injure him exactly enough to subdue him without causing any serious injuries" are the bullshit manuevers there.

Except no-one would think it if Gordon was replaced by a man in bat-pajamas.

Everyone forgets that Year One is a Gordon story masquerading as a Batman origin. Of course he gets the superhero moment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair Batman is pretty bullshit.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Nobody's pointing out the fact that "Flass" is the dumbest goddamn name ever?

Ok, then.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Characters having a Zen-like ability to beat each other up "just to the point of" something is a time-honored tradition in comics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Nobody's pointing out the fact that "Flass" is the dumbest goddamn name ever?

Ok, then.
According to peoplelookup.com, there are a whole 52 (:tinfoil:) people who would take umbrage with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was cool :blush:

but then I haven't read enough of Miller's stuff to get burnt out on his schtick I guess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was cool :blush:

but then I haven't read enough of Miller's stuff to get burnt out on his schtick I guess.
I like it too. I was pointing out how dumb it is to get mad about it being implausible in a world where Batman can knock men out without causing brain damage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Except no-one would think it if Gordon was replaced by a man in bat-pajamas.

Batman spent his entire life training to do bullshit like this. It's the entire point of the character. Gordon's just an old cop. Giving the opponent a bat is on the level of something Ennis' Punisher would do in pointless machismo. Even if Gordon was somehow incredibly badass and able to defeat a man twice his size solely due to the narrative requiring it, it strikes me as extremely out of character for him to take the risk of giving him a bat.

It's like, I can suspend my disbelief for superhero antics, but when you try to show something more grounded and write it like that, I just remember that Oscar De La Hoya was unable to beat Shaq in an exhibition match because the size and weight difference is that loving important in a fight.

I mean, Year One is still a great comic, don't get me wrong, but that moment is just goofy to me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
To be fair, if you are wearing padded gloves, and you aren't allowed to kick cripple or maim your opponent, then size and weight are easily the largest determining factor in who would win. Under those circumstances Bruce Lee would lose to generic boxer every single time.

In a no holds barred fight weapons, training and the willingness to do violence matter a lot more.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Melon posted:

To be fair, if you are wearing padded gloves, and you aren't allowed to kick cripple or maim your opponent, then size and weight are easily the largest determining factor in who would win. Under those circumstances Bruce Lee would lose to generic boxer every single time.

In a no holds barred fight weapons, training and the willingness to do violence matter a lot more.

So the former Green Beret with a baseball bat who is y nature a violent thug, tasked with scaring off Gordon has the advantage here how? Also lmao at Gordon not punching through his chest on purpose like he's secretly a Kryptonian living in a world made of cardboard.

I also only watched the movie adaptation, but can Batman kick old growth trees apart in his sneakers in the comic book too?

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 28, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

First Bass posted:

I also only watched the movie adaptation, but can Batman kick old growth trees apart in his sneakers in the comic book too?

Sure. First, the author shows Batman kicking apart one tree. Then, he spends the next six pages detailing how Batman came to that exact spot, years ago, and did some random bullshit that weakened the wood and made it possible for him to put his foot through it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Madkal posted:

Last night Detective Flass appeared on Gotham. It reminded me of this:

From Batman: Year One.

Note the baseball bat. Gordon gave that to Flass to make the fight more even.

I love that a cop knows precisely how much he should beat up a guy "just enough to keep him out of the hospital", and you say that Miller was never subtle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fatherboxx posted:

I love that a cop knows precisely how much he should beat up a guy "just enough to keep him out of the hospital", and you say that Miller was never subtle

:drat:

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

First Bass posted:

So the former Green Beret with a baseball bat who is y nature a violent thug, tasked with scaring off Gordon has the advantage here how?

Did you even read what I wrote?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Melon posted:

Did you even read what I wrote?

Did you :ironicat:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
New Avengers #29 is filled with all manner of badass things, but here is the quietly-badass first page so I don't spoil nothin':

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hulk with the wifebeater shirt is great :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is clearly a muscle shirt, NOT a wifebeater.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Hank Pym was not invited into Illuminati

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Majuju posted:

New Avengers #29 is filled with all manner of badass things, but here is the quietly-badass first page so I don't spoil nothin':

It looks like T'Challa is trying not to laugh at Reed's ridiculous beard.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Crowetron posted:

It looks like T'Challa is trying not to laugh at Reed's ridiculous beard.

Don't talk about Sue like that.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Majuju posted:

When did Captain Britain lose an eye? :(

Amazing Spider-Man 270

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

FTFY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, Hank Pym was not invited into Illuminati

He actually was. And he has a beard now.

Illuminati is officially team beard.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hulk Smash! posted:

When did Captain Britain lose an eye? :(

(flashback from the same issue)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

(flashback from the same issue)

And goddamn Spider Britain was off God knows where doing God knows what with all those other damnable Spiders! :argh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiro posted:

And goddamn Spider Britain was off God knows where doing God knows what with all those other damnable Spiders! :argh:

Nah he was there too, it didn't go well for him.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
According to that issue (New Avengers 29, prepare for spoilers), there's basically only about twenty or so alternate universes left, so expect 616 to become the "Spider-Verse" as every last remaining alternate Spider-Man (and Spider-Girl) has to move into Parker's apartment.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Majuju posted:

Genuinely laughed out loud at Blackagar Boltagon's expression and ridiculous tube-shaped head.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dordreff posted:

Genuinely laughed out loud at Blackagar Boltagon's expression and ridiculous tube-shaped head.

T'Challa is the only person on that page who doesn't look effing absurd.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

According to that issue (New Avengers 29, prepare for spoilers), there's basically only about twenty or so alternate universes left, so expect 616 to become the "Spider-Verse" as every last remaining alternate Spider-Man (and Spider-Girl) has to move into Parker's apartment.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get their own country on Battleworld. Maybe Arachnia, since it's a Spider-themed nation and the only other Spider-Related events (Spider-Island/Renew Your Vows) are already accounted for.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fuego Fish posted:

every last remaining alternate Spider-Man (and Spider-Girl) has to move into Parker's apartment.

Well, that's a sit-com in the making. Might as well throw in Johnny Storm, Iceman and Firestar just for that old 60's feel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

Well, that's a sit-com in the making. Might as well throw in Johnny Storm, Iceman and Firestar just for that old 60's feel.

Needs an Annihilus

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Too Many Spider-Men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

They died, remember?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

They died, remember?

I still don't get how Morlun (guy who is vulnerable to radiation) was able to beat a team that featured Firestar (powers are microwave radiation).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's what the kids call "plot armor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't understand how Morlun is still around. I thought he got eaten years ago when The Other happened.