Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is the same thread that rags on people for waving away their right of way at four-way stops, right? What's the difference? When you stop in a travel lane for your own convenience, you're creating a potentially dangerous situation by disobeying the rules of the road and you're forcing other people to break the law to continue.

Of course I go around people if they're clearly stopped and it's safe to do so. This person didn't have their hazard lights on and was sitting at a stop sign, so it looked like they were just zoned out until I noticed the person in the parked car talking, and the road was narrow with cars coming the other direction. How is this okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
WTF goons, always blaming the victim. The rear end in a top hat in that situation is the dude standing in the traffic lane, talking to his friend.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

EightBit posted:

WTF goons, always blaming the victim. The rear end in a top hat in that situation is the dude standing in the traffic lane, talking to his friend.

Yeah but sagebrush rides a motorcycle so he has no excuse. I would have been wheelying past that dope bitch flipping the bird and jerkin off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah but sagebrush rides a motorcycle so he has no excuse. I would have been wheelying past that dope bitch flipping the bird and jerkin off.

Yaeh, but I was driving my car so sadly I was only able to do the latter two.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you want to half rear end your life that's your prerogative.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
In Illinois it's perfectly legal to cross the two-way lane line to pass an obstruction in the road, such as a stopped vehicle. I would be surprised if it is illegal in your state. You are the person we share a road with.

To be fair, the ambiguity in traffic law across states is a problem.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's why taking liberties with the laws, within reason, is fine.

One day AI will accept the DY pass :D

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

This is the same thread that rags on people for waving away their right of way at four-way stops, right? What's the difference? When you stop in a travel lane for your own convenience, you're creating a potentially dangerous situation by disobeying the rules of the road and you're forcing other people to break the law to continue.

Of course I go around people if they're clearly stopped and it's safe to do so. This person didn't have their hazard lights on and was sitting at a stop sign, so it looked like they were just zoned out until I noticed the person in the parked car talking, and the road was narrow with cars coming the other direction. How is this okay

The pass can be legal all it wants, that's worth fuckall if it can't physically be done.

Blocking the road is the rear end in a top hat move.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sagebrush posted:

And if you're the guy double parking in side streets with your flashers on while you're out running errands for minutes at a time, get bent. The amount of time it's appropriate to block the only legal travel lane on a non emergency situation is zero seconds. Go find a real parking space.
Enforcing a double parking law at a span of minutes would cripple food and parcel delivery to businesses and residences in any major city in the US. 15 minutes double parked gets excessive, but less than 5 minutes is a non-event.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

Hold on there, he's not Slavvy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

I don't know where you're located but you need a little give and take in traffic interactions. If someone's in the road stopped, you should go around them without a worry or a honk. The driver should definitely turn on their flashers though.

I live in a huge city where random things are happening in the street all the time, and sometimes you have to block a traffic lane (but not the whole street) in a crowded side street to get something done, as long as you're not there for more than a minute or two.

Obviously not okay on a more major thoroughfare.

Oh, you're the guy who treats his hazard lights like a "park anywhere" button

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My favorite was seeing two people that knew each other STOP THEIR CARS BLOCKING THE ENTIRE loving ROAD, both lanes in one direction, at a intersection, during rush hour, so they could have a chat.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

revmoo posted:

My favorite was seeing two people that knew each other STOP THEIR CARS BLOCKING THE ENTIRE loving ROAD, both lanes in one direction, at a intersection, during rush hour, so they could have a chat.

Why couldn't they just text each other like normal people while they drive home?!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
i93 southbound was GREAT this morning. And by great I mean great as free parking, not so much for driving.

The breakdown lane (in the section where it's not permitted for travel, period) was FULL of assholes, rather than being a breakdown lane. Apparently traffic + "I'm getting off the highway in only 5 miles, it's practically my next exit right?" = permission to drive in breakdown lane. The guy in front of me decided he'd had enough and cockblocked all of them by sliding halfway into the emergency lane. Then, just as I was about to get off at the Montvale exit, an unmarked cruiser flipped on his lights, pulled into the breakdown lane, and flagged down and ticketed a bazillion of them.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
GA 400 has the emergency lane as travel lanes during rush hour. At least on the southbound side heading in to Atlanta. Never used it, so no idea how much of a clusterfuck it is.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

i93 southbound was GREAT this morning. And by great I mean great as free parking, not so much for driving.

The breakdown lane (in the section where it's not permitted for travel, period) was FULL of assholes, rather than being a breakdown lane. Apparently traffic + "I'm getting off the highway in only 5 miles, it's practically my next exit right?" = permission to drive in breakdown lane. The guy in front of me decided he'd had enough and cockblocked all of them by sliding halfway into the emergency lane. Then, just as I was about to get off at the Montvale exit, an unmarked cruiser flipped on his lights, pulled into the breakdown lane, and flagged down and ticketed a bazillion of them.

This is amazing and I am happy for that police officer. :allears:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dear guy in the Civic doing 80mph with a donut on the front axle: if you want to die, please do so in a manner that doesn't endanger everyone else.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bovril Delight posted:

Dear guy in the Civic doing 80mph with a donut on the front axle: if you want to die, please do so in a manner that doesn't endanger everyone else.

Oh come on man, if it only says max speed of 50mph, surely it's capable of more! They're just selling it short so you don't, y'know, hurt yourself or anything.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Oh, you're the guy who treats his hazard lights like a "park anywhere" button

Nope, but I do use them as a "stand anywhere" button on side streets and in parking lanes since they're supposed to be used to warn other drivers of stopped traffic in the road. I've never blocked anybody. And it's essential for deliveries and other business in big cities.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bovril Delight posted:

Oh man, once upon a time I got passed by an A5 that then proceeded to have a blowout at like 100mph a few hundred meters further down the road. Guy does a good job keeping it all together, gets it over to the shoulder without wrecking and I carry on my merry way.

Like 30 minutes later the same loving Audi came screaming past still going around a ton with the donut spare on the back. :catstare:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

jammyozzy posted:

Oh man, once upon a time I got passed by an A5 that then proceeded to have a blowout at like 100mph a few hundred meters further down the road. Guy does a good job keeping it all together, gets it over to the shoulder without wrecking and I carry on my merry way.

Like 30 minutes later the same loving Audi came screaming past still going around a ton with the donut spare on the back. :catstare:

he was fine the last time his tyre came apart, clearly that will always be the case

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Found on Imgur...

quote:

She decided that chipping out a porthole in her windshield was enough to drive. Unfortunately, she couldn't see me sitting at the stop sign waiting to turn right, and she crashed into the back of me.

Small damage, and no one was hurt, luckily. But I was PISSED. She was completely baffled why that would matter.

I see these tank commanders around here when it's cold, but I've never actually seen an accident before.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solar Coaster posted:

Found on Imgur...

I see these tank commanders around here when it's cold, but I've never actually seen an accident before.

Neither did they :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Neither did they :v:

:vince:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
She was still baffled why it mattered after just hitting someone she didn't see? Jesus Christ. :smith:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kastein posted:

Then, just as I was about to get off at the Montvale exit, an unmarked cruiser flipped on his lights, pulled into the breakdown lane, and flagged down and ticketed a bazillion of them.

Those cunts suck. Justice was served. I love it. :911:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Solar Coaster posted:

Found on Imgur...

Of course it's better for all parties to hand this off to the police/insurance and move on with life, but this is a situation where I'd lawyer up & sue out of spite. It isn't an accident when it's willful ignorance, more like being maliciously lazy. Hopefully he didn't say the words 'minor damage & no injuries' to anybody at the scene and he left in an ambulance.

fake edit: even Nissan wants no part of this

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NoWake posted:

Of course it's better for all parties to hand this off to the police/insurance and move on with life, but this is a situation where I'd lawyer up & sue out of spite. It isn't an accident when it's willful ignorance, more like being maliciously lazy. Hopefully he didn't say the words 'minor damage & no injuries' to anybody at the scene and he left in an ambulance.

fake edit: even Nissan wants no part of this

You're dumb.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
This morning I met a Dodge Challenger driver with ego problems, I was about to passthe Challenger and a slower car all safe and legal when the Challenger pulled in front of me and braked, they sat beside the other car for a couple minutes then accelerated hard in the passing lane. . . A couple minutes later they resumed speed and I was once again behind the slow moving Challenger. I switched lanes and increased speed by 5mph to try to get away from the Challenger but they just accelerated again into the distance only to slow down and block my path, and repeat three more times. This and other scenarios are why I believe Dodge owners are the scum of the earth, they are worse than <luxury brand> drivers.

Later, I saw an SUV behind me with an opaque orange and black for sale sign taped or the center of the front windshield.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I had a middle aged guy in a challenger give me a thumbs up in almost rush hour highway traffic. He kept trying to show off his engine by gunning it for about 3 seconds at a time because there was traffic in front of him. It was confusing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in the middle turn lane waiting to make my left turn into the Wawa, when a Lexus driving hard and speeding figured that is a good lane to use to pass everyone so he could make a left up ahead at a light. His wife/girlfriend was yelling at him as he swerved back into the normal lanes, and he flipped his hand up like he was not at fault.  Guess what rear end in a top hat, you're an rear end in a top hat.  I honked.

I am the blue car, he is the red line.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Fruit posted:

This morning I met a Dodge Challenger driver with ego problems, I was about to passthe Challenger and a slower car all safe and legal when the Challenger pulled in front of me and braked, they sat beside the other car for a couple minutes then accelerated hard in the passing lane. . . A couple minutes later they resumed speed and I was once again behind the slow moving Challenger. I switched lanes and increased speed by 5mph to try to get away from the Challenger but they just accelerated again into the distance only to slow down and block my path, and repeat three more times. This and other scenarios are why I believe Dodge owners are the scum of the earth, they are worse than <luxury brand> drivers.

Later, I saw an SUV behind me with an opaque orange and black for sale sign taped or the center of the front windshield.

That's every third car every single day here on my commute.

gently caress YOU YOU AREN'T TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT, GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
When I think of Dodge Challengers I remember all the E-1s near Camp Pendleton driving around like fuckheads in cars they can barely afford.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I will never understand why, when people get in a minor accident, they leave their cars right in the lane of traffic and get out to discuss insurance or whatever. Get the gently caress out of the road you loving fucks. The police aren't going to come and investigate the crime scene or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

I will never understand why, when people get in a minor accident, leave their cars right in the lane of traffic and get out to discuss insurance or whatever. Get the gently caress out of the road you loving fucks.

Watch too many cop shows, GOTTA PRESERVE THE CRIME SCENE.

So like most things it's just bad education.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jamal posted:

I will never understand why, when people get in a minor accident, they leave their cars right in the lane of traffic and get out to discuss insurance or whatever. Get the gently caress out of the road you loving fucks. The police aren't going to come and investigate the crime scene or something.

Me neither. When I crunched my front drivers side during rush hour I still made it to the shoulder before even talking to the guy that I hit. Hell of a lot safer than chatting mid rush hour.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Some dumb fucks did that right in the middle lane of the Bay Bridge heading eastbound (lower deck) right after the 1st St. entrance and caused an enormous backup over a minor fender bender during rush hour. As I was driving by a CHP officer on a bike rode up and started yelling at them so loudly to get the gently caress out of the road I could hear him with my windows up.

God bless you CHP bike cop :allears:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

Some dumb fucks did that right in the middle lane of the Bay Bridge heading eastbound (lower deck) right after the 1st St. entrance and caused an enormous backup over a minor fender bender during rush hour. As I was driving by a CHP officer on a bike rode up and started yelling at them so loudly to get the gently caress out of the road I could hear him with my windows up.

God bless you CHP bike cop :allears:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was driving down I-376 in Pittsburgh headed out towards the East Hills, directly in front of the Squirrel Hill tunnels (those of you from the area know what a clusterfuck this is, so you know where I'm coming from) where two cars slammed into each other trying to merge into the same lane. Of course the loving traffic around them doesn't stop and keeps going, so I stop to make sure both of the drivers are okay.

The old veteran in the car in front looks like he had the shock of a lifetime (somehow - as a veteran I imagine you've seen a lot more poo poo than this), but was okay. I made my way back to the woman in the other car, and she looked completely spaced out and panicked simultaneously. Her car, a mid 90's Honda Accord, had it's front driver's side wheel completely hosed - the steering knuckle was separated from drat near every connection and was pointing at an almost 90 degree angle inwards. As I realized this car wasn't going anywhere fast, a green Jeep Cherokee pulled up with an Allegheny County Sheriff's logo and a man inside wearing a Sheriff's Uniform. He yelled out the window at me "CAN THE CARS MOVE?"

I stared back and replied "I don't know, sir. I don't think so."

His reply? "YOU BETTER GET THOSE CARS OUT OF THE ROAD, NOW." and he loving took off. Just drove away. I was so flabbergasted at the fact that a goddamned loving Sheriff of the county just pulled up, screamed at me to get two immobile cars out of the road, and then took off without even so much as asking if everyone was okay that I couldn't even think of getting his license plate. Years later, I'm still angry I didn't think to write down his plate quickly and call it into the Sheriff's Department as a complaint. What a loving jackass.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Ripoff posted:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was driving down I-376 in Pittsburgh headed out towards the East Hills, directly in front of the Squirrel Hill tunnels (those of you from the area know what a clusterfuck this is, so you know where I'm coming from) where two cars slammed into each other trying to merge into the same lane. Of course the loving traffic around them doesn't stop and keeps going, so I stop to make sure both of the drivers are okay.

I live right off that exit. Some of the poo poo that goes on there is just crazy. The other day there were 2 cars stopped right around the blind turn that takes you toward the eastbound onramp with minor damage to each vehicle. Right in the left lane, standing halfway in the right lane yelling at each other. GET OUT OF THE ROAD YOU FUCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got a delicious bit of schadenfreude today. Raining a decent bit so combined with traffic meant for 1/4 mile visibility for most of my commute, and yet there was some fuckwit in a Prelude driving two feet off of everyone's rear end and cutting people off to pass people. With either high beams or badly aimed headlights to boot.

About 10 miles later, I saw that same Prelude on the shoulder, front bumper trashed, after having rearended someone. :waycool: