Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Transport costs are a tiny, tiny part of the cost of consumer goods. Oil is about half the cost of sea transportation (except container ships at full speed, those fuckers are thirsty)

Shipping markets (except the large tanker market) are not doing too good right now, because the price of bulk materials are poo poo. Iron ore and coal are low as gently caress, nobody's going to move that poo poo until it picks up, so there's no demand for bulkers. We're talking cape size bulkers going for $9,000/day plus fuel.

Tankers are picking up because people are chartering them to use as storage space for all that cheap oil they're stockpiling.

Container ships gonna containers. If demand increase, maybe they'll stop slow steaming (lol no they won't because it won't)

So no, the cheap price of oil won't have a huge impact on shipping and what gets shipped. Maybe it'll keep rates a bit lower.

Question.

Holding a ton of crude on a ship like this... Is there any danger of the oil degrading? I'm not really familiar with long term storage procedures for oil, but to my engineer's mind I can imagine the tanks acting like a giant settling tank. Passive refining :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Question.

Holding a ton of crude on a ship like this... Is there any danger of the oil degrading? I'm not really familiar with long term storage procedures for oil, but to my engineer's mind I can imagine the tanks acting like a giant settling tank. Passive refining :v:

Bit of stratification, shouldn't be a huge issue. Even less so if they keep a bit of heat in it.

Edit: Should clarify, I meant minimum heat. We keep long term bunkers over 80cSt I think. Keeps fines etc. in suspension. I imagine it's the same for suspended solids in crude.

pazrs fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 28, 2015

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Crude wouldn't be much of a problem I would imagine. The heavy fuel and whatever else we burn has to be cracked, poked, prodded, chemicals added and subtracted and whatever else to get it in spec. If it's just out of the ground and hasn't been refined yet it's not a big deal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It spent a couple million years in the ground, spending a couple of months in a boat won't gently caress it up any worst.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
That said, there are ways to get caught out with a crude cargo. Letting a waxy crude cool down (insufficient heating applied to cargo that needs it) can be a disaster. We had a first mate in our company who took a cargo of high paraffin crude and didn't flush the bottom lines after loading. Bam, solidified cargo in the bottom lines. The man was an idiot.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Passed another drug test. I don't feel like printing the results and am going to wait for the paper to reach me in the mail. That should give me another week at least before I can make yet another terrible life choice.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Do a double header.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm interviewing for a trawler job next week. On the one hand fishing vessel, southern ocean.

On the other that sweet sweet $$$$

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Two Finger posted:

I'm interviewing for a trawler job next week. On the one hand fishing vessel, southern ocean.

On the other that sweet sweet $$$$

Two Finger posted:

On the one hand fishing vessel, southern ocean.
There is no other hand.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StopShootingMe posted:

There is no other hand.

I remember going on a plankton collection expedition when I was in middle school. As soon as we started trawling for it, bang, everybody gets the sea sickest. Is that what it's like for fishing, too?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The coke helps.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I remember going on a plankton collection expedition when I was in middle school. As soon as we started trawling for it, bang, everybody gets the sea sickest. Is that what it's like for fishing, too?

StopShootingMe posted:

There is no other hand.

FrozenVent posted:

The coke helps.

All of the above

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
So the way it's looking is an oil price of around 90 by 2020. There is only a 3-4% oversupply so any shock could pump it up again as well.

If companies keep slashing everything the way they are they are going to have to pay through the nose to get people back.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

So the way it's looking is an oil price of around 90 by 2020. There is only a 3-4% oversupply so any shock could pump it up again as well.

If companies keep slashing everything the way they are they are going to have to pay through the nose to get people back.

:getin:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Companies way over hired, now they way over cut. No one ever said the oilfield was a smart beast.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Looking to try and get out of the industry (Australia) after this swing. My last swing was 4 months on a bulky and now doing 4 months (was gonna be 5) on the Aurora Australis.

My job has done me absolutely no favours in terms of life/relationships. Lost one good girl and the other one now is on the brink of leaving. I need to get out before it effectively ruins me.

Do any of you have any advice for getting out and what I could go into on land? My seagoing certs are pretty useless, I'm only an IR (AB/Greaser combined). I'm 27. I'm pretty creative and also like Greens-leaning politics. I've spoken to our union about getting a job in their office but I'm wondering if there is something else I could do...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

Looking to try and get out of the industry (Australia) after this swing. My last swing was 4 months on a bulky and now doing 4 months (was gonna be 5) on the Aurora Australis.

My job has done me absolutely no favours in terms of life/relationships. Lost one good girl and the other one now is on the brink of leaving. I need to get out before it effectively ruins me.

Do any of you have any advice for getting out and what I could go into on land? My seagoing certs are pretty useless, I'm only an IR (AB/Greaser combined). I'm 27. I'm pretty creative and also like Greens-leaning politics. I've spoken to our union about getting a job in their office but I'm wondering if there is something else I could do...

I have no advice to give just a question. Did you have any cadets from New Zealand on that ship? The ones I'm thinking of had the initials TG and CA.

As for the rest... Well, that's why I quit my job and I'm now on the ferries in Auckland. I'm home every night. Never leave shore.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

Try get on a bunker barge or tugs/work boats? I do two/two but home every night.

Maybe get your coxswain and drive lines boats?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Charter yachts and dive boats?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Never leave shore.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Never leave shore.

Office 4 lyfe.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
We did have a cadet on here with the initials TG but he wasn't a kiwi. He was a Queenslander. CA isn't ringing any bells as far as deck goes, maybe an engineer? Dunno I've been casual on here since 2011 and pretty sure there's been a couple go through I haven't met.

Bunker barges and tugs etc are pretty hard to get into around here, especially seeing as my home state there aren't too many of them. There is a big downturn in Australia and a lot of guys are getting put out of work for foreign crews. Seems like every week we lose a ship. I feel that going to sea isn't working for me at all. 8 years and it hasn't gotten any better, only harder dealing with issues at home.

I've heard of some companies putting IR's in the office for stuff like crewing etc but I'm not a permanent employee with anyone so this might be hard to organise.

I did work on the ferries between Melbourne and Devonport for 4 years but that was 4 week swings and you weren't home any of those nights except maybe one lay-up a week through winter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah CA was an engineer cadet. He was very sadly killed in a car accident in Mauritius, I thought it was Aurora Australis he was on but I could well be wrong on that.
He and TG were both kiwis so wouldn't have been the same guys. CA died in October 2013 if that rings any bells.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

We did have a cadet on here with the initials TG but he wasn't a kiwi. He was a Queenslander. CA isn't ringing any bells as far as deck goes, maybe an engineer? Dunno I've been casual on here since 2011 and pretty sure there's been a couple go through I haven't met.

Bunker barges and tugs etc are pretty hard to get into around here, especially seeing as my home state there aren't too many of them. There is a big downturn in Australia and a lot of guys are getting put out of work for foreign crews. Seems like every week we lose a ship. I feel that going to sea isn't working for me at all. 8 years and it hasn't gotten any better, only harder dealing with issues at home.

I've heard of some companies putting IR's in the office for stuff like crewing etc but I'm not a permanent employee with anyone so this might be hard to organise.

I did work on the ferries between Melbourne and Devonport for 4 years but that was 4 week swings and you weren't home any of those nights except maybe one lay-up a week through winter.

I know a few cobs on the Australis, and the Investigator across the harbour. Never met anyone that works on that French piece of poo poo.

Sounds like you should do a trade mate. Being an IR your obviously not useless with your hands and don't mind physical work. Maybe retrain as a rigger? At least your're outdoors and not in some office hell. The mature apprentice wages are still poo poo but hopefully you wont starve.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I think I'm more of an academic type that got suckered in by friends splashing their cash around when the offshore really started taking off. Anyway I'll keep my e/n poo poo out the thread, thought it might be worth a crack asking you guys for advice. Trade is a possibility...

One of the skippers from the L'Astrolabe got transferred over here last year I think it was. He's a pretty friendly guy. Does things a little differently but all goes well.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Retraining into the oil field doesn't sound like a great career move right now...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vessel lost 4000usg of diesel fuel to accounting typo, company coming after master and c/e for 16k usd cash. Time to find a new company or business as usual?

Edit just got back home from boat furious about this, yelled like a lunatic at some people and their off leash dog,I think girlfriend is leaving me over this, totally out of character, please everyone never go offshore.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 5, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Find new company, who the gently caress measures fuel in gallons or litres?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Find new company, new girlfriend, new boat, new chief, new job fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck who the gently caress measures fuel in gallons or litres?

Why are you upset? I mean yeah its business as usual but gently caress the company, that's bullshit but it's not your rear end on the line.

What is that like 125 tons or something I can't work it if it's not m3 or tons. That's not a huge deal really, chief should be able to fudge that somewhere, blame it on the boiler.

I can check with my buddy if they are still looking for people if you want to go to CO. Actually, California Maritime needs some watch officers for the summer cruise you should check it out and go chill out for 2 months.

Edit: You are the genius who saw this thread and went to school for this right? Didn't we warn you back then? Just stick with Tinder while you ship.

Edit2: Never loving leave shore you retards

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm ok I just need to find a boat where I can do more than watch a circulation pump spin mud 12 hours a day and listen to weird office drama.

It's like twelve tons.

You guys did warn me but it was a good gig until it became just another day in corporate America: dockside edition.

I guess I'll just stop giving a gently caress and someday quit before they think about making me chief of anything and thus rear end on the line.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Pfft 16 cube?! You'd only worry about that if you lost it over the side, not lost in it paper work.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd suggest sacking up and enjoy making loads of cash in a poo poo economy but what do I know.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

pazrs posted:

Pfft 16 cube?! You'd only worry about that if you lost it over the side, not lost in it paper work.

Yeah I figured 12 tons then figured I was loving up the decimals cause that's just....

flashman posted:

I'd suggest sacking up and enjoy making loads of cash in a poo poo economy but what do I know.

gently caress this job gently caress these companies gently caress this life. I tell anyone that says that poo poo that we all had similar choices coming out of high school so if you made a worse one it's on you plus I then offer to get them in to school or on a ship. I haven't had anyone take me up on that so far. Also I don't need to sack up because I get around 7k a month not to work. Anyone can do this poo poo, there's no real lower intelligence limit. So I would say you don't know much there ding dong.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 5, 2015

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Am I the only one here who likes going to sea?

Admittedly I'm working ashore right now (it's been nearly a week in my office job, so far it's interesting), and also admittedly there might not be any coastal trading ship to go back to in a years time. But I do like ships and would like to go back out on a nice one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I still love parts of it, the challenges, freedom... but the downsides are just too big for long term and are just getting worse with more regulations and requirements. I was looking at my medical certificate today trying to figure out which of the three expiration dates on it actually matters.

When I leave I know a part of me will miss it a great deal but the common sense part will be thankful I am ashore with a family and a job that doesn't make me dissapear for months on end. Every time I go to the hall I am reminded of the fact that I need to get the gently caress out sooner than later by the wrecks in there with "more sea time going astern then you have going ahead" trying to make enough money to put their kids from their 3rd/4th/5th wife through college and retire. If you sail long term, it's not a matter of if you get hurt but when and how bad.

I will miss the part where noone can ask me stupid questions like "So when are you going back to work?" the day I get home or say "Oh you are so lucky!" after I return from 6 months east of the Suez in the summer.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

lightpole posted:

just getting worse with more regulations and requirements.

I probably came in a bit late, but all I hear is "how good it was back in the good old days"

On the regulation side of things, the work-permits and all the rest of it are just out of control.

Now whenever someone asks me to do something small and menial I say "I don't think I'm certified to do that, send it ashore"

Step back, take 5

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

Am I the only one here who likes going to sea?

Still love it. Every few days on board I just stand on the bridge wing coffee in hand and think 'gently caress yes. This is for me.'

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

pazrs posted:

Still love it. Every few days on board I just stand on the bridge wing coffee in hand and think 'gently caress yes. This is for me.'

Me too! Sounds like it's a lot shittier over the pond, though. Offshore life in Norway is pretty good.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

pazrs posted:

Yeah, this. I very, very rarely have moments where I actually hate my job (and it's usually me hating my current shipmates if so) and fairly often have moments of "I can't believe I'm getting paid this much to do this." And standing on the bridge wing while steaming through the Great Barrier Reef at sunset is just nice.

Then again, if I were downstairs taking the same LO purifier apart for the fourth time this swing I might be hating life. Deck guys, we ticked the right box (even if our qualification are borderline useless ashore)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Just had a really bizarre interview for a 2nd engineers spot on a cruise ship. The interviewer had a terrible accent, asked questions faster than I could reply and jumped around subject material at random.

Yes lady, I'm pretty sure most 1000' containerships have an emergency diesel generator. I'm pretty sure boiler alkalinity is the same as pH. The only people actively pulling a con rod are ship yard contractors, that doesn't loving happen at sea. No, working an 8 or 10 hour day, 7 days a week is not unusual. Where the gently caress did they find you and that sheet with questions on it?

• Locked thread