Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is like the cat still playing with a half-dead mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIAjxi11wIw

She really can't stop talking, can she? Like just take a breath and think for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Malloreon posted:

She really can't stop talking, can she? Like just take a breath and think for a second.

But that is how a cheechako speaks you see. Now sourdoughs, on the other hand...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

As much as lefties hated in, the Lieberman pick was widely popular. Gore never got such good media coverage as when he picked Lieberman, and his poll numbers peaked after the pick.

The thing is, announcing a VP --any VP -- almost always entails a significant boost in media coverage and a corresponding bump in poll numbers. What's more, Lieberman was announced in August to coincide with the Democratic Convention. Conventions inspire a lot of positive media coverage and are known for giving huge (but generally temporary) boosts to their nominee's poll numbers. Unless you have a way of factoring out these major confounding variables, there's really no way to know how much the Lieberman pick affected things. You could probably use a rough aggregate analysis of presidential campaigns to find a "generic" VP bump and a "generic" convention bump and compare those numbers with what we saw in 2000, but so many other factors change between election years that I'm not sure even those results would be meaningful. Someone get Nate Silver on this.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Malloreon posted:

Someone here once described her as a conservative talking-points Markov chain and that really does explain everything. I can't watch her speak now without thinking that. She has this stream-of-consciousness type babbling, is completely incapable of directly addressing an idea or question, her entire vocabulary is constrained by the boundaries of the conservative echo chamber, and what she says at any given moment just flows discursively from what came before it. She can't stop and think for a moment, because her entire capacity to talk seems to be dependent on the momentum of having one half-formed, minimally-relevant thought tumbling out as soon as possible after the previous one. The Sarah Palin generator is almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Duckbag posted:

The thing is, announcing a VP --any VP -- almost always entails a significant boost in media coverage and a corresponding bump in poll numbers. What's more, Lieberman was announced in August to coincide with the Democratic Convention. Conventions inspire a lot of positive media coverage and are known for giving huge (but generally temporary) boosts to their nominee's poll numbers. Unless you have a way of factoring out these major confounding variables, there's really no way to know how much the Lieberman pick affected things. You could probably use a rough aggregate analysis of presidential campaigns to find a "generic" VP bump and a "generic" convention bump and compare those numbers with what we saw in 2000, but so many other factors change between election years that I'm not sure even those results would be meaningful. Someone get Nate Silver on this.
All true. But the notion that he was some sort of disaster pick just isn't supported by the evidence. There have been VP picks that had no discernible effect (Paul Ryan didn't move the needle at all) and VP picks that have actively damaged their tickets from the moment they were selected (Quayle). Lieberman was pretty popular - heck, in late 2002-early 2003 he was led the polls for 2004 Dem nomination. I suppose you could say that the Nader 2000 movement was fed by people who were upset by the Lieberman choice, but I don't remember too many 2K Naderites complaining about Holy Joe - they were mostly about Gush/Bore, vote for a real change, the two parties are interchangeable corporate hand-puppets, and the like.

Also also, just because a VP pick moves the needle in one direction when they are announced doesn't mean that the pick won't backfire (Palin was a good example - she gave McCain a big boost when she was announced, but by the end of the campaign she was a clear liability). And finally, if a VP pick provides a big boost to the candidate, it's probably a sign that what you have is a weak candidate and are in big trouble (Dukakis' pick of Lloyd Bentsen was very enthusiastically received, which in retrospect was a warning sign of how shallow the main candidate's support and appeal was).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Palin's word salad is terrible (and getting worse) but until recently it was no different in content than most other Republican politicians opining about the issues of today. What she said wasn't any more ridiculous than listening to Mike Huckabee talk about the deficit or Rick Santorum discuss events in the Middle East. Her problem was that her flavor of nonsense didn't sound like the usual platitudes that come out of conservative pols - it had this rough, unpolished, homespun quality to it that it made it stand out (which has also served Palin well - she doesn't sound like the rest of the crowd, and her particular phraseology strikes a chord with a certain subset of the base in a way that smoother Beltway talkers like Gingrich and Rubio do not). She sounds more ridiculous that the rest of her colleagues, but if you parse their words, they're all equally nonsensical. Palin just never measured the particular cadences of Beltway nonsense. She speaks Backwoods nonsense - same garbage but with a different accent.

Her last couple of appearances show a considerable degeneration in her speaking. I don't know if it's drugs, incipient mental illness, or her just not giving enough of a gently caress to bother even trying to string together related thoughts (I'm betting on the latter), but her recent total incoherence has been genuinely alarming. Nice pick, John McCain.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FMguru posted:

Palin's word salad is terrible (and getting worse) but until recently it was no different in content than most other Republican politicians opining about the issues of today. What she said wasn't any more ridiculous than listening to Mike Huckabee talk about the deficit or Rick Santorum discuss events in the Middle East. Her problem was that her flavor of nonsense didn't sound like the usual platitudes that come out of conservative pols - it had this rough, unpolished, homespun quality to it that it made it stand out (which has also served Palin well - she doesn't sound like the rest of the crowd, and her particular phraseology strikes a chord with a certain subset of the base in a way that smoother Beltway talkers like Gingrich and Rubio do not). She sounds more ridiculous that the rest of her colleagues, but if you parse their words, they're all equally nonsensical. Palin just never measured the particular cadences of Beltway nonsense. She speaks Backwoods nonsense - same garbage but with a different accent.

Her last couple of appearances show a considerable degeneration in her speaking. I don't know if it's drugs, incipient mental illness, or her just not giving enough of a gently caress to bother even trying to string together related thoughts (I'm betting on the latter), but her recent total incoherence has been genuinely alarming. Nice pick, John McCain.

Was it Huckabee who was talking about sausage and killing pigs?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FMguru posted:

All true. But the notion that he was some sort of disaster pick just isn't supported by the evidence. There have been VP picks that had no discernible effect (Paul Ryan didn't move the needle at all) and VP picks that have actively damaged their tickets from the moment they were selected (Quayle). Lieberman was pretty popular - heck, in late 2002-early 2003 he was led the polls for 2004 Dem nomination. I suppose you could say that the Nader 2000 movement was fed by people who were upset by the Lieberman choice, but I don't remember too many 2K Naderites complaining about Holy Joe - they were mostly about Gush/Bore, vote for a real change, the two parties are interchangeable corporate hand-puppets, and the like.

Also also, just because a VP pick moves the needle in one direction when they are announced doesn't mean that the pick won't backfire (Palin was a good example - she gave McCain a big boost when she was announced, but by the end of the campaign she was a clear liability). And finally, if a VP pick provides a big boost to the candidate, it's probably a sign that what you have is a weak candidate and are in big trouble (Dukakis' pick of Lloyd Bentsen was very enthusiastically received, which in retrospect was a warning sign of how shallow the main candidate's support and appeal was).

Lieberman was a bad pick because it was part of Gore's distancing himself from the highly popular Clinton presidency, but it was more a symptom rather than a problem in itself. I think most people's loathing for Lieberman came after the election when he became one of the go-to rightist Democrats for the Republicans.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

FMguru posted:

Lieberman was pretty popular - heck, in late 2002-early 2003 he was led the polls for 2004 Dem nomination.

It's not clear to me that this means anything - at that stage, Presidential primary polling is dominated by name recognition. Folks hadn't really heard of Kerry, Edwards, Dean, or Clark in any real way at that stage, right?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

FMguru posted:

Is she really getting worse? Her Alaska Gubernatorial farewell address was completely incomprehensible to me. I remember there being some "salmon swimming upstream" similie that didn't go anywhere. The Iowa speech was bad, but it was probably only as bad as the rest. This isn't really an abberation with her, this is how the woman talks. Like a kid in junior high scrambling to give a report on a very complicated book they only read the cover of and just bombing terribly.

Please let her run....

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Blurred posted:

The Sarah Palin generator is almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

This is my first time generating a speech and it reads like words tumbling down a mountain.

quote:

But the politicians and the media wants you to forget this, Tea Party Movement is about bringing together debate and discussion of solutions from We the People, that is good, business is very good. Now, in every political party, or grilling up some venison and cornonthecob, maybe some caribou with some friends on Wall Street cronies and stimulus projects for union bosses security and green energy stimulus funds, and we are the heirs of those who froze with Washington at Valley Forge and who carved a nation gone under. Yes, He shed his grace on thee, America!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FAUXTON posted:

Was it Huckabee who was talking about sausage and killing pigs?

Yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Huckabee: "We need to do some pig killing" re: public safety legislation

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Huckabee: "We need to do some pig killing" re: public safety legislation

If Romney's team isn't applying that voiceover to their ad about the felon Huckabee pardoned who went on to kill a cop, they aren't doing their jobs.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I support the idea of picking cabinet members, big city mayors, and other non-electeds for any slot because the Dem electeds bench sucks. Obama's picks were terrible from a standpoint of opening up vulnerable or GOP-leaning seats. They were a Christine ODonnell away from losing Diamond Joe's seat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Controversial opinion: Joe Biden is the best Vice President of the 21st Century to date.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FMguru posted:

Someone from her team was claiming that her teleprompter broke down during her recent appearance. I think it's more likely that it was working and she went off on a weird tangent anyway, but it goes to show that even the people supporting her are aware of how bad she's getting and feel the need to react

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Controversial opinion: Joe Biden is the best Vice President of the 21st Century to date.

Hardly controversial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Good Citizen posted:

Someone from her team was claiming that her teleprompter broke down during her recent appearance. I think it's more likely that it was working and she went off on a weird tangent anyway, but it goes to show that even the people supporting her are aware of how bad she's getting and feel the need to react

The idea that she has a "team" who are "supporting" her is also terrifying in its own way

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

The messed up part of that explanation is how many times she has criticized Obama for being clueless without his teleprompter, to point of writing notes on her hand.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The idea that she has a "team" who are "supporting" her is also terrifying in its own way

Think of them more as hypnotized cultists.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

But who's best all time? VPs bumped up to Pres can not count Presidential performance for or against their VP rating.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

But who's best all time? VPs bumped up to Pres can not count Presidential performance for or against their VP rating.

John C. Calhoun. Such a good VP, he got chosen a second time!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

Probably still Biden. Henry Wallace was the LFest VP, though.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Probably still Biden. Henry Wallace was the LFest VP, though.

Why does Biden rank so highly in your opinion?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

this_is_hard posted:

Why does Biden rank so highly in your opinion?

The primary official responsibility of the office is being President of the Senate and Biden has developed good working relationships with other Senators through his long tenure in that body. This has come in handy a number of times when the White House has needed to strike deals with people who won't, or can't be seen to, negotiate with Obama.

The primary un-official responsibility is being a goofball, and he's impossible to beat on that score.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Non-Controversial opinion: Cheney was the most consequential VP of all time and will likely never be matched. He belongs alongside Metternich in the annals of consequential ministers in the Western world.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That raises the question, what did Biden do with Cheney's direct-report kill teams he had scattered around the globe?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

shadow puppet of a posted:

That raises the question, what did Biden do with Cheney's direct-report kill teams he had scattered around the globe?
Put them to work trying to acquire hard-to-get aftermarket accessories for his sweet vette

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shadow puppet of a posted:

Paid some debts.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

joeburz posted:

Hardly controversial.

:thejoke:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Lieberman was a bad pick because it was part of Gore's distancing himself from the highly popular Clinton presidency, but it was more a symptom rather than a problem in itself. I think most people's loathing for Lieberman came after the election when he became one of the go-to rightist Democrats for the Republicans.
This.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sullat posted:

John C. Calhoun. Such a good VP, he got chosen a second time!

Bah, George Clinton did it first. Plus Calhoun was a quitter who managed to be a bigger rear end in a top hat than the President he resigned under. Which is quite the accomplishment.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Sarah Palin has a bachelor's in communications, right?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Non-Controversial opinion: Cheney was the most consequential VP of all time and will likely never be matched. He belongs alongside Metternich in the annals of consequential ministers in the Western world.

Cheney needs an asterisk beside his name if only because he was acting as shadow president.

Rip Testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMKXFeBNVU

Gyges posted:

Biden is VP emeritus for all eternity, but Adams.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

Communications was the other degree of choice for all the athletes in college if that gives you any indication of its rigor (the first was the old standby, kinesiology).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Security Through Strength is the political committee helping United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) "test the waters" for a potential 2016 run for president. The committee will fund the infrastructure and operations allowing Graham to travel the country, listen to Americans, and gauge support for a potential presidential candidacy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lindsey Graham has launched a PAC "Security Through Strength" to "test the waters" for 2016.

http://www.securitythroughstrength.com/

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Is that pic taken on an airplane banking hard left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

joeburz posted:

Is that pic taken on an airplane banking hard left?
a ship that is in the process of capsizing

• Locked thread