Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MasterSlowPoke posted:

New codex means new Overlord. Just coming in for another doublecheck before I get to the greenstuffing stage:

Thaszar the Invincible, Pirate-King of the Sarnekh Dynasty

I'm glad that I waited to build him for so long - the new plastic Overlord is on a 40mm base so this gives me a lot more room to work with over a cramped 25mm.

I plan to paint his pet scarab up like a Macaw, fix up his cape addition, and give him a patch over his left eye. Any thoughts on anything I could add/change? I'd like to give him a pistol on his belt, but I can't really find anything that looks right.

If you're going for a pirate look, then why the cactus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Not sure if I like the hook at that angle. Looks awkward. I love the idea of a treasure chest, but not sure how to pull it off.

Star Man posted:

If you're going for a pirate look, then why the cactus?

All of my armies are on a Martian style desert, so I'm kinda married to them. The big cactus also disguises the low level of detail in the instamolded cape.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will have to wait until the book comes out, but man... My 1000 points of necrons that we were planning for an Adepticon team tourney (next year!) was really reduced in price. 10 points on the barge, 10 points on the destroyer lord (or more if I go with a cryptek), 72! points on a unit of 6 praetorians. Looks like it will give me enough play for a unit of 3 jetbikes for objective hopping.

Hopefully forgeworld will revisit the necrons as well. I have some of the Sentry Pylons, and 270 is a bit much for two of them (mostly because of the changes to skyfire and interceptor).

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I plan to paint his pet scarab up like a Macaw, fix up his cape addition, and give him a patch over his left eye. Any thoughts on anything I could add/change? I'd like to give him a pistol on his belt, but I can't really find anything that looks right.

If you need Ye Olde Fashioned Pistols, the Dwarf range from WFB has options.

I like 'im, though. Necron Pirates fighting in a desert actually feels very appropriate to me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Replace his head with a ball bearing and mold on some green stuff portholes. You could get extra fancy and add some barnacles to the body then brass him up with a nice patina and get nautical.

bij fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AbusePuppy posted:

I like 'im, though. Necron Pirates fighting in a desert actually feels very appropriate to me.

"What the gently caress, this entire PLANET was covered in water when we took our nap! How long were we out? ....dammit."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just going to add some like stuff to my Lawnchair Destroyers and use them as Tomb Blades.

What I'm probably going to try out in a week when I have time off to play with my dusty dusty Necrons, because I have army ADD.

Decurion Detachment

Reclamation Legion:

Barge Lord w/ Warscythe, Phylactery, Phase Shifter
3+ , 4++, 4++, Reroll Failed 1s on the Ressurection Protocol
Necron Warriors w/ Ghost Ark
Necron Warriors w/ Night Scythe
Necron Immortals w/ Night Scythe
Tomb Blade x 5 w/ Shadowvane, Nebuloscope
Tomb Blade x 5 w/ Shadowvane, Nebuloscope

Canoptek Harvest
5 Wraiths
3 Scarabs
1 Tomb Spyder w/ Particle Beam
Total : 315

Canoptek Harvest
5 Wraiths
3 Scarabs
1 Tomb Spyder w/ Particle Beam
Total : 315

Total: 1750

Seems alright, I guess I won't be using these Annihilation Barges any more unless I magic up my missing Doomsday, which I have never built but know is somewhere around here. It saps the will to assemble when it comes to the Ghost Ark/ Doomsday.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, that's how I'm going to explain the desert.

"Hey John Nec-corn, did your people sail on this world?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTsywB6GNQ

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 29, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Not sure if I like the hook at that angle. Looks awkward. I love the idea of a treasure chest, but not sure how to pull it off.

Hook up makes him look beckoning and grasping, down makes him look menacing which his staff already does. I think it works better up.

Treasure chest should just be a Scarab with its wings lifted to reveal pearls and gems stored inside. He's just got one of them like that but everyone thinks all of his Scarabs are full of booty and keep trying to take them so he's become incredibly paranoid and possessive over the years.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any word on whether the particle whip is still ordnance?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cataphract posted:

Any word on whether the particle whip is still ordnance?

It is :(

Maybe the monolith has a special rule to let it fire still?

Hoping I can get a copy of the codex tomorrow.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does anyone have a good guide for OSL lighting? I'm picking up these wraiths today and I figured new army, new painting techniques.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of ordnance, I've been thinking about how mediocre high strength blast weapons have become- stuff like vindicators, basilisks, battle-canons, and their ilk. In the land of hull points and easy to get cover, you have a ~10% chance to blow up high AV vehicles in a single AP2 hit. That means, 90% of the time, you'll strip a hull point and that's it. You're almost always better using high strength multi shot weapons instead. Against infantry it's much more effective, but even then you're looking at 5+ cover saves most of the time.

Whenever the next edition comes out, I hope ordnance guns get a buff. I really miss the days that the big giant pie plate was a frightening weapon. I love big guns, so I am obviously bias, but every time I've used them in the last 2 editions they have disappointed me.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

They still have uses with forcing deployment and troop movements. Sure your opponent might get cover but they're debuffing their own movement to get it a lot of the time. But yes I agree they're hardly terrifying any more.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

They still have uses with forcing deployment and troop movements. Sure your opponent might get cover but they're debuffing their own movement to get it a lot of the time. But yes I agree they're hardly terrifying any more.

a vindicator, held in reserved, scares the bejesus out of anyone deepstriking terminators

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Or, for about the same points, you can have a predator exterminator with better range and 3 shots....and, in 30k, you can give it interceptor. So your terminators will probably die before you can even shoot with them and its on the board shooting at stuff from turn 1.

I hear you though, they still have some uses. But its not what it used to be :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PyroDwarf posted:

These guys?

Nice, but not the ones I was thinking of. I'm 99% sure they were by Germ.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mother of god

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I just saw that email. Sevatar is fantastic.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Sorry to bring it back up in the thread but it was discussed a few pages ago: Anybody going to the HH Weekender who would be willing to grab an extra couple of the exclusive guys?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Now do I grab a lightning strike fighter to use as the base to recreate that scene from prince of crows?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So uh.. how do necrons reproduce? Do they just take captured war material, melt it and sprinkle it with some grimdark technobabble?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

So uh.. how do necrons reproduce? Do they just take captured war material, melt it and sprinkle it with some grimdark technobabble?

If I remember right, when their body is destroyed their memory is just sent into another body. Each time this happens they loose some of their 'humanity' or whatever, so over eons most have turned into nothing but mindless soul less robots. If you somehow destroy them and their memory can't download, they are gone forever. There are no new necrons except pariahs (but that got retconned?)

This could be the old fluff though.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

They're immortal space robots. No need for the ole bumpin and humpin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
God damnit fists get everything :mad:

Really good rules? Bunch of releases? No IW stuff?

poo poo, this is what Perturabo felt like

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Meta-marketing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That's some yellow yellow.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Cataphract posted:

They're immortal space robots. No need for the ole bumpin and humpin.

Yeah, bit if they have a finite amount of said robot bodies, then they are going to run out at some point.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The whole fluff about destroyed Necrons 'phasing out' is basically a teleport homer that recalls sufficiently damaged Necrons back to the tomb world for repairs - that's what the whole resurrection protocol roll is for, it's to see if the damage was minor enough for the 'cron frame's own self-repair systems to handle or if it needs to be recalled. It takes quite a lot of damage to destroy a NEcron frame to the pint where it can't be recalled.

Besides that, the primary task of canoptek scarabs is to actually disassemble matter into raw materials that can be proessed into new Necron warframes, structures and the like - the fact that they also make for a solid intruder deterrent and tend to eat enemy vehicles is just a big bonus. There'll never be 'new' Necrons, I think - they'll just yanks out the memory/personality engrams from destroyed frames and plug them into new bodies, but that's it.

Unrelated, a friend of mine owed me a favor and is now getting me a SICARAN BATTLE TANK. Eeeeeeeee, I can't wait!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Aside from nigh-immortal robotic existence, Necron lead Cryptek scientist/crazed robot Illuminor Szeras is of the mind that he can "fix" the Necron race and make them organic again with enough poking around in other races' guts. We'll see how that works out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

The whole fluff about destroyed Necrons 'phasing out' is basically a teleport homer that recalls sufficiently damaged Necrons back to the tomb world for repairs - that's what the whole resurrection protocol roll is for, it's to see if the damage was minor enough for the 'cron frame's own self-repair systems to handle or if it needs to be recalled. It takes quite a lot of damage to destroy a NEcron frame to the pint where it can't be recalled.

Besides that, the primary task of canoptek scarabs is to actually disassemble matter into raw materials that can be proessed into new Necron warframes, structures and the like - the fact that they also make for a solid intruder deterrent and tend to eat enemy vehicles is just a big bonus. There'll never be 'new' Necrons, I think - they'll just yanks out the memory/personality engrams from destroyed frames and plug them into new bodies, but that's it.

Unrelated, a friend of mine owed me a favor and is now getting me a SICARAN BATTLE TANK. Eeeeeeeee, I can't wait!

That's one hell of a favour.

And all this Necron talk is getting me excited for an army I don't even own, some of the new rules sound fun to play against.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Aside from nigh-immortal robotic existence, Necron lead Cryptek scientist/crazed robot Illuminor Szeras is of the mind that he can "fix" the Necron race and make them organic again with enough poking around in other races' guts. We'll see how that works out.

It'll work out about the same that Ynnead, the hive fleets, the eye of terror and so on will :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Hadn't they already been selling the SA Medusas and Basilisks? Why would they make them a single kit?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ijyt posted:

That's one hell of a favour.

And all this Necron talk is getting me excited for an army I don't even own, some of the new rules sound fun to play against.

I ended up financing a joint project mostly by myself, he's paying me back by financing me some warhams. I've wanted myself a Sicaran BT ever since I saw one the first time, so I can't complain. About time I had some actual HS choices, too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

At this really early stage, it looks like Necrons are the most internally balanced codex since Tau. There aren't really any terrible choices. Monoliths are disappointing, but that's about it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

At this really early stage, it looks like Necrons are the most internally balanced codex since Tau. There aren't really any terrible choices. Monoliths are disappointing, but that's about it.

It seems like Flayed Ones still come up a bit short, even with the buffs, simply because all the other units also received bonuses and there's better options for melee-centric combat units. I have to agree though that it's a really good lookin' book so far. I agree with pretty much all the changes. The fact that Destroyers have been redeemed is nice.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Did Flayed Ones always have Shred? That makes them seem actually not too bad, but I agree in comparison with all the rest of the solid choices they're weak.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Best part of the Necron update is that the exact same people on Warseer/Dakka who were all "wee wee! suck it necrons lolol" when the MSS and tesla/barge nerfs were leaked are now crying about everything else getting buffed.
Woops, the bad crutches got taken off and the army had to receive something to not be gimpy? Time to cry!

As for the Monolith, I think the only one worth fielding is from the Mephrit Resurgence formation for a foot slogging army, which allows it to raise d6 warriors and d3 immortals.

e.: To be fair, Tomb Blades are pretty amazing. Jet bikes, T5, 3+, TL gauss, ignore cover for 22 points? drat.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

Did Flayed Ones always have Shred? That makes them seem actually not too bad, but I agree in comparison with all the rest of the solid choices they're weak.

No, they also did not have AP5 on their basic attacks. They received some major upgrades, just not enough to field them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'd still field two barges :colbert:

• Locked thread