Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

It's honestly just common courtesy to tell them what service account you left a script that's shutting them down is running under. Even if they " knew it existed". Don't be a dick

What does the world look like down there being a door mat and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

I think it's a lot easier to preach about what's "right" when you are happy and treated well, that's all.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

This is kind of dumb. evol262 is a nice dude (who is pretty well compensated, I'd imagine, I don't think he's looking up from "down there") who gives a lot of good advice - technical and otherwise - and between this and the other thread is having to defend some fairly basic "don't be a dick" statements.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
maybe he should stop making stupid comments relating to employee/employer relations

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I don't understand how all these lawyers and accountants are totally cool with operating computers loaded to the brim with all sorts of viruses and spyware and poo poo with all of their customers data on it. Working in HELL DESK as really given me a new perspective on just how taped-together most small businesses are.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

I think it's a lot easier to preach about what's "right" when you are happy and treated well, that's all.

Thanks, but I wasn't always happy and being treated well. And I'm not always happy and being treated well now. I just don't think moral or ethical behavior is relative to your situation, as a philosophical statement.

Not everyone needs to buy into the "gently caress everybody other than me" groupthink here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"The gently caress everyone but me" group think can be a bit tiring but I'd say AAB is in his right to not tell them. His time and work have a value, he gave them everything they needed and was compensated for it. Any new issues are their problem and it sounds like they have the solution themselves, they just need to do the work to fix things. If they want AAB to fix it they can pay him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

Not everyone needs to buy into the "gently caress everybody other than me" groupthink here.

I think it's funny how the backlash against "Randian" stuff ends up with people just becoming it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Bad employers should get that treatment though. If he had a great relationship with his previous employer and didn't have any issues with them, then sure; a 2 second email that says "rm -rf /home/butt/ddos_fart.sh" would be fine.

But it sounded like his old employer is a poo poo company that wants something for nothing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

Thanks, but I wasn't always happy and being treated well. And I'm not always happy and being treated well now. I just don't think moral or ethical behavior is relative to your situation, as a philosophical statement.

That's fine, I happen to fundamentally disagree with that philosophy so I'll stop talking past you about it. But in AAB's case specifically, as far as I can tell he behaved perfectly appropriately. He sorted things before he left that company and he even helped them out for nothing when one of them sent him a personal email and asked him to check something. Common courtesy does not extend to remembering every goddamn detail about the infrastructure of every company you ever worked for, and refusing to be a company's pro-bono memory aid is not being a dick.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The thing here is that he already did the standup thing. How many times does he need to do that before he starts charging the company for wasting his time? The answer might be 1, or 2, or, 10... but there's a number.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

MJP posted:

Stupid question time.

We have a Netbotz 320 at a remote location and we haven't received alerts from it in a while. It was pointing at Gmail's SMTP server, so I changed it to our IIS SMTP server, 172.16.111.61. I added the Netbotz appliance's IP to the connection and relay permissions. For good measure, I stopped and restarted the SMTP server within IIS.

The Netbotz log only shows this:

It then fails the connection test in the Netbotz Advanced View application. I don't get the test email it's supposed to send to the address I specified, my personal one.

If I telnet to the server on 25, I a similar thing. It gives that first line then nearly instantly closes the connection.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Is that remote location connected with a VPN or is your IIS server at that location?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

in AAB's case specifically, as far as I can tell he behaved perfectly appropriately. He sorted things before he left that company and he even helped them out for nothing when one of them sent him a personal email and asked him to check something.

jim truds posted:

he gave them everything they needed and was compensated for it. Any new issues are their problem and it sounds like they have the solution themselves, they just need to do the work to fix things. If they want AAB to fix it they can pay him.

ratbert90 posted:

But it sounded like his old employer is a poo poo company that wants something for nothing.

These are all correct.
Considering I was told that I was a waste of space on payroll and it took 3 months to get my final paycheck and then my boss (the company owner) decided that instead of allowing me to take vacation that it would be denied and payed out at 3/4 my rate, poo poo company is right.
I have a WAY better job and had plenty of funds to have funemployment and open a brewery while shopping around for my current sick NetAdmin job

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm trying to track down a software license that's tied to a MAC address and decided that nmap was the fastest route. I scanned the entire /24 so it hit the gateway and the return I got was not one I wanted to see.

code:
Starting Nmap 6.47 ( [url]http://nmap.org[/url] ) at 2015-01-28 15:52 EST
Nmap scan report
Host is up (0.0018s latency).
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open  telnet
I'm hoping the default login is changed but just :negative:

What's worse is that I know for a fact that the router we use can have SSH enabled on it for remote access.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's 2015 how the gently caress do viruses still exist? Why can't Windows just come with good AV Software?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Malware these days is basically like Johnny Depp in Transcendence, in that it sucks

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

It's 2015 how the gently caress do viruses still exist? Why can't Windows just come with good AV Software?

Because people are smart and it's hugely profitable.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Because people are smart and it's hugely profitable.

And the targets are sooooo dumb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Ordinary viruses barely exist. Targeted not-really-spreading things like cryptolocker are much more common.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

To do cool fun stuff with a computer you need access to sensitive parts unfortunately people are idiots and give access to those sensitive parts to people that claim they will do cool fun stuff but in reality to lame mean stuff.

Also all viruses are created by McAfee, so that they can make millions selling their antivirus software.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Antitrust.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
This all reminds me that I haven't watched John Mcafee's "How to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus" in a few months.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Not really, Windows 8 does come with rebranded MSE which works just fine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tab8715 posted:

It doesn't, we're all just playing an elaborate trick on you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If Windows shipped with a robust toolset, they wouldn't be able to charge for it.

I once asked a Microsoft guy why they didn't ship with common tools like a ssh server, ftp client, monitoring, backup (this was years ago), and his response was that it was so "there could be a robust 3rd party ecosystem" AKA they want you to pay money for it because those companies take some of that money and give it to Microsoft in terms of signed programs, silver/gold partners, and development IDEs. He used the solarwinds company as a perfect example.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not really, Windows 8 does come with rebranded MSE which works just fine.

I thought I heard they had to unbundle Defender because of legal threats, I guess that was just scuttlebutt.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
They really did get in trouble with regulators regarding the bundling of the browser and media player, so it's kind of understandable they didn't want to do the same thing with an antivirus component.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
What IS the product that ships with Win8.1? Is it good enough as an AV or should I also install MSE next to/instead of it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swink posted:

What IS the product that ships with Win8.1? Is it good enough as an AV or should I also install MSE next to/instead of it?

It is mse rebranded, but mse is terrible these days.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Swink posted:

Plus if you try and install MSE, itll throw an error that Defender is already installed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Fool posted:

It is mse rebranded, but mse is terrible these days.

No, it really isn't. MSE/Defender is enough to keep my idiot little brother from getting his laptop infected with viruses when he's downloading shady game hacks so it should be good enough for most people; and unlike other free antiviruses it doesn't have arbitrary restrictions or random "upgrade now" messages.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
God damnit tier 1, please at least pretend to know what you are doing!

"Can we install autorun.exe?"

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

evobatman posted:

God damnit tier 1, please at least pretend to know what you are doing!

"Can we install autorun.exe?"

We've started assuming that T1 are looking for us to do the exact opposite of what they're requesting on the ticket...

It's working out pretty well so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhoNeedsAName posted:

We've started assuming that T1 are looking for us to do the exact opposite of what they're requesting on the ticket...

It's working out pretty well so far.

I hate that we had to do this, but I actually had to create THE BINDER OF TROUBLESHOOTING for T1 because T2 was bitching about "they're not doing it right"

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

I hate that we had to do this, but I actually had to create THE BINDER OF TROUBLESHOOTING for T1 because T2 was bitching about "they're not doing it right"

Our T1s have one of those too but have taken it upon themselves to completly ignore it :rant:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This all reminds me that I haven't watched John Mcafee's "How to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus" in a few months.

I haven't watched this, I hope it's just him getting high as gently caress then beating the hell out of a PC with a hammer.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

I haven't watched this, I hope it's just him getting high as gently caress then beating the hell out of a PC with a hammer.

Very close.

Not really SFW.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Skex posted:

Is that remote location connected with a VPN or is your IIS server at that location?

In the end we just went with Gmail's anonymous-accepting SMTP for sending to Gmail/Gapps users only.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it really isn't. MSE/Defender is enough to keep my idiot little brother from getting his laptop infected with viruses when he's downloading shady game hacks so it should be good enough for most people; and unlike other free antiviruses it doesn't have arbitrary restrictions or random "upgrade now" messages.

"good enough" for some people is fine. However, that doesn't change the fact that benchmarks put MSE's detection rate 30-40% behind every other AV program on the market. On top of that, anecdotaly, MSE does absolutely nothing to prevent modern adware and many newer ransomwares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Even his hookers are bloatware.

• Locked thread