Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fermented Tinal posted:

I thought it was frowned upon these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fermented Tinal posted:

I thought it was frowned upon these days.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Playing star bound again? He a shameful goon..

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dandywalken posted:

Anybody notice anything different in weapon balance? Is combat pretty acceptable now?

The guns are way improved. Besides damage, you also seem to be able to get more shots off. Pistols let you shoot 8-10 times before recharging. In general, seems like you get to fire roughly twice as many shots as it'll take to kill an enemy, so even if you miss half or a little more of your shots, you'll still be fine.

And as soon as I crafted a rifle I was one shotting most of the starter-world creatures so that was cool.

After several hours of playing, I haven't had a problem with running out of energy yet. It just hasn't come up. Just one time I noticed it happening - after I killed a monster and was preparing to tackle another group, but I was out of combat so it wasn't a big deal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mining is still the worst. It boils down to dig down until you hit a cave, then walk thirty feet in said cave and repeat, while praying that you find deposits of whatever ore you might be looking for along the way. When you hit the bottom you're guaranteed to find core fragments, but those just let you go to planets with the same lovely cavegen and vast stretches of loving nothing, maybe a hut or a prison or oh wait, there's nothing to these things. Maybe I'll go check out that mysterious gate my ship told me about, that sounds signifiNOPE it's just the Space Mall of the Space Plains!

gently caress Starbound.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

tried playing this again with the new patch hype but about 20 minutes in i decided id go do something more fun so i spent a few hours shoving uncooked spaghetti up my urethra

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
For people complaining about mining, have you actually tried to explore your planet? Mining straight down is probably one of the faster ways, but its by no means the only way to get a lot of ore. Hell, I had enough copper and iron from just exploring mineshafts and other structures on the planet that I hardly needed to mine at all. Really only thing I absolutely needed to mine was the cores, and even that was fairly simple by following caves down.

Also to echo sentiments earlier stated, combat feels much nicer. Enemies seem to telegraph and no contact damage makes it easier to explore. Guns do a nice chunk of damage, though it seems that some stores are bugged and will give you a weapon with randomized stats on purchase if you find one. Can get some really nice weapons that way however. The quests haven't been too bad, but it is a bit of back and forth. If anyone wants to limit how much they have to run around, be sure to have some coffee beans, a bug, and a glass mug on you. It'll save some time warping around.

I haven't repaired my FTL yet, but so far progression feels miles ahead of what it used to be.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

DeliciousCookie posted:

but so far progression feels miles ahead of what it used to be.

Because that's really something to shoot for. My dead grandmother has progressed more miles since launch than the game has.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

Because that's really something to shoot for. My dead grandmother has progressed more miles since launch than the game has.

Well yeah, improving the game is something to shoot for.

I'm not a starbound fanboy but some of the ways people are finding to poo poo on this patch seems a little absurd. How is it that you can find something negative in even "wow, they really improved this aspect by a lot"?

It seems like some things still aren't good at all but they've also made improvements in certain areas, so I hope they keep it up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 29, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't feel any different from the unstable build so far, I am simply thrilled at the prospect of digging to the middle of the planet again. Only this time, I only found one pickaxe, so it will take even longer.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So far I think it's a lot better. Mining goes a lot faster once you upgrade your matter manipulator, and after two separate mining runs on two planets I found everything I needed to progress to the first mission at the mining base with a good store of extra resources, some good guns, and a legendary sword for my efforts. It definitely beats the hell out of the 'get ore to build poo poo->build poo poo-> summon boss-> go to next sector -> rinse, repeat' progression that they had going on before. It's the sort of thing I could enjoy playing in short bursts.

Also if you're trying to find core fragments, just keep digging down. When you get close to the bottom of the map they're everywhere. They're all lit up so you can see them no matter where they are on the screen. You only need 20, but I got like 80 in 10 minutes after finding the first one before throwing myself into a lava pit to get back up to the surface. Yeah, I play on casual. :colbert:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well yeah, improving the game is something to shoot for.

I'm not a starbound fanboy but some of the ways people are finding to poo poo on this patch seems a little absurd. How is it that you can find something negative in even "wow, they really improved this aspect by a lot"?

It seems like some things still aren't good at all but they've also made improvements in certain areas, so I hope they keep it up.

They're really salty that the stable update actually came out, and in the month they said it would. Their dreams of being able to shitpost a tower to the moon over how they failed to deliver on time have been crushed, have a little sympathy.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Magmarashi posted:

They're really salty that the stable update actually came out, and in the month they said it would. Their dreams of being able to shitpost a tower to the moon over how they failed to deliver on time have been crushed, have a little sympathy.

I've missed you :)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Well it is the first deadline they've actually met in like forever. It's kind of warranted. Hopefully they'll get back up to speed on their updates now, but I really doubt it.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
If Starbound is actually getting good, that is indeed a good thing. I doubt that this is the case, however.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Whoop de loving do, they released an update after a year. Things muuuust be getting better.

We'll see when the next update comes out.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
This first boss and also the entire instance are just distilled pure poo poo. I spend all my time plinking away at monsters that half health me in one shot. Very cool and good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
spent 3 hours digging through boring caves full of the same enemy on the first planet to get core fragments, now on second planet trying to figure out how to get to gate. Bored out of skull~

every time I play this I desperately hope it's magically turned into SPACE-TERRARIA IN SPACE instead of Mine Through Boring Caves Full Of Nothing But The Same Enemies Whilst Fighting The Worst UI Ever, and every time I am consistently disappointed

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Hey I kept saying any day now.

Not my fault this happened to be the day.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I sucked up a bunch of lava and then put it back in the air above me after I mined my core fragments

Then the game crashed on my way out of the laggy space mall

When I find a flesh biome if i don't get the ability to mine a bunch of bone and make a bone house the game will still suck for still having a bunch of materials I can't do anything with - we'll see, Starbones

EDIT:
:holymoley:

oddium posted:

"Winston, if you were my husband I would install Starbound on your PC."

"Madam, if I were your husband I'd play it!" - Winston Churchill
:holymoley:

Patware fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 29, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's almost like basing an entire game around random number generators and actions animated with flash's tween effect makes for lovely gameplay. Who knew? :v:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like how they released it literally 3 days before their "month of june" deadline expired.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got to the moon base level.

Needed a compound bow because my other poo poo was using my energy too fast. Not digging the ridiculously long time to undo a Guard Break (I dont think this term means what the game thinks it does???)

Compound bow hits hard though, and you easily get the "bar of energy off 2 dead assholes" feel which for that particular weapon feels ok. 2 shots the appropriate assholes, 5 shots per energy bar. Not a big fan of the "BEEP BOOP ENERGY GONE WAIT FOR RECHARGE" poo poo though. I understand why they'd do it, but it doesnt really fit nor result in anything good.

Game's definitely improved, but digging is still boring as gently caress. The glowing-ore mod linked before was a must-have.

Overall, its a step in the right direction. But what that means is relative, given its been a loving year.

I'd rate it 2 out of 10 shits. Will probably continue a bit tomorrow, then will wait to see what mod dudes do. Wouldnt suggest a reinstall to friends though.

oddium posted:

Holy gently caress :eyepop:

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 29, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
This is a great game to punish myself for playing video games

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

spent 3 hours digging through boring caves full of the same enemy on the first planet to get core fragments, now on second planet trying to figure out how to get to gate. Bored out of skull~

every time I play this I desperately hope it's magically turned into SPACE-TERRARIA IN SPACE instead of Mine Through Boring Caves Full Of Nothing But The Same Enemies Whilst Fighting The Worst UI Ever, and every time I am consistently disappointed

Dunno, that sounds like Terraria in space to me.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Gonna play this stable update, I'm gonna do it man

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i tried the stable update and when i was down on the planet the collision completely hosed up and i was walking on air and falling through solid blocks, 10/10 would call this update stable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I feel bad for you guys who are jaded from following the nightlies, or from just waiting for the update for so long; I haven't played since April, so I've been having fun just checking out all the new stuff, and I'm looking forward to getting to an outpost. I guess I just like liking stuff, because so far, this game is fun to me. :unsmith:

Apologies if this post just isn't :negative:-enough.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Tried to follow this thing in the official and SA forums for months and quickly ran away.
Today with the update I bought it anyway.
I like it with no real reservations, pretty cool for a Beta.

Life is a Beta test after all.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Starbound: Endless Beta
Are novakids a thing yet

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I feel bad for you guys who are jaded from following the nightlies, or from just waiting for the update for so long; I haven't played since April, so I've been having fun just checking out all the new stuff, and I'm looking forward to getting to an outpost. I guess I just like liking stuff, because so far, this game is fun to me. :unsmith:

Apologies if this post just isn't :negative:-enough.
Whoa, did I wander into the SimCity thread circa one year ago?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kulkasha posted:

Starbound: Endless Beta
Are novakids a thing yet

Yep. Added in yesterday's update

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The update makes things marginally more interesting for the beginning game but it is a massively unstable wreck that I had to start about twelve times before it loaded properly and even then every time I opened a menu or got a popup message or anything like that the game would completely freeze until I minimized and restored the window and then clicked on it and waited 30s.

Stable Release Is Live.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
anyone know if using asset_unpacker.exe and asset_packer.exe to unpack the .pak file in [directory]/Assets/ works successfully? I'm in the middle of unpacking now so I can modify the beamaxe speed, but people on the Chucklefish forums have reported issues with packing everything back up.

E: nvm, had an issue with the format for the input since it's been changed for the packer utility, but everything seems to be packing smoothly now.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 29, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm trying to change my controls, switching 'Inventory' and 'Drop', so I can open up my inventory with Q (and drop with I, though I don't give a poo poo about that). Every time I try and set a new control, it always says "L-Alt + Q" (or + I). Is this a bug? My alt key is not pressed down or anything, and I even tried clearing both key definitions beforehand, just in case it wasn't allowing two functions per key.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Played up until this mission where you go into some mines. Mission loving blows. The regular enemies are fine, they're not too hard to kill .The loving infected miners twoshot me and my gun plinks away at like 3 hp per loving shot and my melee weapon isn't much better. Why tell me to make steel armour if steel armour is going to be terrible at protecting you from the monsters? Also it's incredibly lame that it makes you start the whole mission again if you die. How the hell do you even dodge the boss' third attack pattern? Do you just stand right beneath it and wait until you're allowed to do something again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Slime posted:

Played up until this mission where you go into some mines. Mission loving blows. The regular enemies are fine, they're not too hard to kill .The loving infected miners twoshot me and my gun plinks away at like 3 hp per loving shot and my melee weapon isn't much better. Why tell me to make steel armour if steel armour is going to be terrible at protecting you from the monsters? Also it's incredibly lame that it makes you start the whole mission again if you die. How the hell do you even dodge the boss' third attack pattern? Do you just stand right beneath it and wait until you're allowed to do something again?
lmao sounds like it hasn't changed at all since I played it in unstable

• Locked thread