Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I actually don't mind his logic.The dynamic that New Who goes for is 'troubled (male) Doctor, grounding-force (female) companion', and it's a dynamic that works very well. If you reverse the genders, then without a major change in the way the Doctor is written, it's just going to come off weird and sexist.

Well, who says we need to reverse the companion's gender as well? Just have Joanna Lumley and Jenna Coleman headline. That'd be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

That isn't on sale!

I broke down and got the whole lot. :)

I've never seen/listened any 5th/6th/7th Doctor episodes. Is there any chronological list of episodes?
The series seems to jump between Doctors (easy to sort) and Companions (Not that easy).

At least 8th Doctor episodes don't change companions from episode to episode!

Anything with the "new" companions should be listened to in order of release (Erimem/Evelyn/Hex), but anything with "classic" companions can be listened to in any order at your pleasure.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rochallor posted:

That's not necessarily a dynamic that has to continue, however. And it's pretty general as far as things go. I mean, it generally describes both Series 1 and 8, but the nature of those relationships is totally different.

And what's wrong with Moffat writing a female Doctor? The reaction to Missy and Clara this season (in this thread, anyway) has been pretty great.

While Moffat did a decent job with Missy and Clara this series, I'm still not confident about the idea of him writing a female Doctor based on the entirety of his previous writing career.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Emerson Cod posted:

As I tell my writing team, if you swap the gender of your character and they suddenly make no sense, you've written a lovely character.

Sounds like you just value interchangeable characters instead.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

As I tell my writing team, if you swap the gender of your character and they suddenly make no sense, you've written a lovely character.

You don't think that gender role, identity and sexuality can be an important part of a character?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
An episode of Desert Island Discs featuring William Hartnell from 1965 has just been discovered, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like the interviewer asks him his opinion on a female Doctor at any point. Billy's chosen some pretty thumpin' tunes for it, though.

EDIT: He talks very little like his Doctor, to be honest. Shows just how much the absent-mindedness and occasional fluffs were a part of the character as opposed to how he actually spoke.

EDIT2: Looks like it's been removed. Oh well.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

If David Tennant doesn't publicly disown his father in-law then he's basically a war criminal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ben Soosneb posted:

If David Tennant doesn't publicly disown his father in-law then he's basically a war criminal.

He's definitely comparable to a Nazi.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
They can be, but the point is that a character's motivations and character traits need to be fleshed out to more than a chromosome. There are very few well written characters that couldn't be gender swapped.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Emerson Cod posted:

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that it takes on a whole new, and not terribly positive, meaning. Tennant's run especially gets really shifty if you gender-flip it.

I should reiterate, I do think it's very possible to write a female Doctor, and I think it should happen. But it's not something they can do overnight, and I think having a bad one would be worse than not having one at all.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 29, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Emerson Cod posted:

They can be, but the point is that a character's motivations and character traits need to be fleshed out to more than a chromosome. There are very few well written characters that couldn't be gender swapped.

And in TV you have the advantage of having an actor involved as well. Even if it were the case that female characters are written like this and male characters are written like that, the actor would still bring whole piles of themselves into the role.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that it takes on a whole new, and not terribly positive, meaning. Tennant's run especially gets really shifty if you gender-flip it.

I should reiterate, I do think it's very possible to write a female Doctor, and I think it should happen. But it's not something they can do overnight, and I think having a bad one would be worse than not having one at all.

I think it would have to be an older woman, like Missy (Gomez is 48). It is much easier to write Capaldi as sexless than Tennant, partly because Tennant was a handsome young man. An attractive young woman as the Doctor would be incredibly hard to write well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

If Moffat wrote a female Doctor, it would be River minus the guns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'll take a dozen, thanks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
RTD could have written a female doctor. I mean, he sort of already did in Dark Season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Organza Quiz posted:

I agree with most of your post, but:

You underestimate the nature of Tom Baker.

So basically Tom just wants to put on a corset and romp around in heels?

I'm okay with this.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How do you do? I see you've met my faithful handyman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trin Tragula posted:

How do you do? I see you've met my faithful handyman.

I see you shiver with antici-*Half-year season break*-pation.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I actually don't mind his logic.The dynamic that New Who goes for is 'troubled (male) Doctor, grounding-force (female) companion', and it's a dynamic that works very well. If you reverse the genders, then without a major change in the way the Doctor is written, it's just going to come off weird and sexist.

I'd have said Rory was more of a grounding-force than Amy in a lot of their episodes, and reckon a Rory-esque character could work with a female Doctor. In fact, I could totally see Karen Gillan as the Doctor with Arthur Darvill as her companion in some kind of parallel universe, and I don't think it'd be automatically sexist at all. Neither Clara nor Amy are a billion miles away from attractive young women playing the Doctor, in point of fact.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh my.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It would be easier to get on board with Charlie's anger at the end of Absolution if everyone didn't agree with the Doctor's shrug-like reaction to its ending, I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

2house2fly posted:

While Moffat did a decent job with Missy and Clara this series, I'm still not confident about the idea of him writing a female Doctor based on the entirety of his previous writing career.

Lynda from Press Gang?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bicyclops posted:

It would be easier to get on board with Charlie's anger at the end of Absolution if everyone didn't agree with the Doctor's shrug-like reaction to its ending, I think.

All I remember about that story is yeah, being on board with the Doctor going, "Oh well, happens from time to time, next adventure?" and this amazing line when Eight is asking somebody where Charley is:

"I'm looking for a girl."
"Eyes, hair?"
"Yes, she's got those."

I think the problem was that they wanted to go into the EDA because they thought the stories would be more appealing to fans of the new series, so they kind of rushed Eight out of the main line and the assorted continuity and into his own series. I guess the quickest way they thought to do that would be to have the Doctor act like a complete asshat to Charley? It kind of sucks how that relationship is brought to an end.

Did anybody end up listening to the Charlotte Pollard series? I kind of forgot that existed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

vegetables posted:

Neither Clara nor Amy are a billion miles away from attractive young women playing the Doctor, in point of fact.

Clara Oswald never existed :smugdog:

The_Doctor posted:

No bulging biceps?

RIP Strong Female Characters

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor, seeing herself in the mirror for the first time, straightens her tie and winks lasciviously at the camera. "Yowza!" she says.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor, seeing herself in the mirror for the first time, straightens her tie and winks lasciviously at the camera. "Yowza!" she says.

And goes to seek superior Dalek technology?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i don't think BBC is going to risk changing up their franchise that much, so i doubt we'll see a female doctor anytime soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oxxidation posted:

I'll take a dozen, thanks.

You really are a terrible human being.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

having a bad one would be worse than not having one at all.

Big Finish already proved that point for us.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next year, Steven Moffat and Nick Briggs will team up to produce: Exile II: I Used To Be A Man of Action.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

i don't think BBC is going to risk changing up their franchise that much, so i doubt we'll see a female doctor anytime soon.

I would be willing to bet (a small amount of) actual money that the next Doctor will be a woman. Capaldi seems almost specifically set up so the next Doctor can be a fairly young one and have that be as much of a contrast as the fact she's female, so it'll seem like the show's going back to "normal" rather than breaking the mould. I'd almost be willing to go further and say I suspect this might be why an older actor was hired for 12 in the first place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who would they cast as a female Doctor, realistically? I know the tabloids seem convinced it'll be Catherine Zeta-Jones (which is never happening) while a lot of people would like it to be Tilda Swinton (who would be great in the part). Would they try to go for someone younger who (and I'm afraid I'm going to go ahead and be incredibly cynical here) is good-looking enough to keep younger guys in the audience on side? Like, I don't know, Katie McGrath? Emilia Fox? Laura Fraser?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm suggesting Emily Blunt simply because of how much I love her in Edge of Tomorrow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Disney will probably snap her up to play Captain Marvel first.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Get Rachael Stirling just to mess with the "but Capaldi was already in Pompeii. What does it mean!?" people.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 29, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think they should poach Gillian Anderson before she commits to more X-Files.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My sister successfully convinced me that Zawe Ashton is a natural choice for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Olivia Colman. She's in everything.

• Locked thread