Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I picked up the last of the DLC I was missing recently but I've been out of the loop for a while and I wasn't that good to start with. For instance I see that there's now a vassal limit and an autonomy system that weren't there the last time I played. Can anyone recommend a good starting character to get the hang of things again? Ideally in the 1066 or earlier starts. I've played in Ireland a bunch of times before but it feels like that's all I ever play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Ok so I decided to do a GoT game as Daenerys. It basically gives you some event troops that are pretty powerful and then you go about doing what she does for the most part. In my game Stannis won the war right away, so by the time I ended slavery on the other side of the world, he left his daughter on the throne. Decided now or never and went with the option to declare war for the throne (this is all within 10 years of the start date in that scenario). Daenerys gets a pretty powerful start and I win the war in about as long as it takes to siege King's Landing and the Red Keep.

Now my question: I know the mod is set up so that whenever the Iron Throne goes to war, all the vassal kingdoms split apart and get a choice on if they want to join your war or declare against you. That's fine and it's an interesting way to do things. What I don't understand is why a lot of the time, after I fight a war, some of these kingdoms never come back. It has to be a bug since there's no notification that they say they're staying independent, and no hit to diplomacy or anything.

For example, after I won the war The Westerlands were still independent so I declared war on them and won, bringing them back into The Iron Throne. Except then The North never came back. I declared war on Braavos and everyone split up again. After winning, The Westerlands didn't come back. Sort of dumb that something like that happens.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

aeglus posted:

Ok so I decided to do a GoT game as Daenerys. It basically gives you some event troops that are pretty powerful and then you go about doing what she does for the most part. In my game Stannis won the war right away, so by the time I ended slavery on the other side of the world, he left his daughter on the throne. Decided now or never and went with the option to declare war for the throne (this is all within 10 years of the start date in that scenario). Daenerys gets a pretty powerful start and I win the war in about as long as it takes to siege King's Landing and the Red Keep.

Now my question: I know the mod is set up so that whenever the Iron Throne goes to war, all the vassal kingdoms split apart and get a choice on if they want to join your war or declare against you. That's fine and it's an interesting way to do things. What I don't understand is why a lot of the time, after I fight a war, some of these kingdoms never come back. It has to be a bug since there's no notification that they say they're staying independent, and no hit to diplomacy or anything.

For example, after I won the war The Westerlands were still independent so I declared war on them and won, bringing them back into The Iron Throne. Except then The North never came back. I declared war on Braavos and everyone split up again. After winning, The Westerlands didn't come back. Sort of dumb that something like that happens.

Are you sure they're not at war with someone or that you waited a few years? Otherwise it's a bug.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Back To 99 posted:

Are you sure they're not at war with someone or that you waited a few years? Otherwise it's a bug.

Yeah neither, been 5+ years waiting on one to come back.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Dr Snofeld posted:

I picked up the last of the DLC I was missing recently but I've been out of the loop for a while and I wasn't that good to start with. For instance I see that there's now a vassal limit and an autonomy system that weren't there the last time I played. Can anyone recommend a good starting character to get the hang of things again? Ideally in the 1066 or earlier starts. I've played in Ireland a bunch of times before but it feels like that's all I ever play.
Try the built-in tutorial as Leon. Still on my first game as Hispania, but I liked playing Alfonso enough after the walkthrough that I restarted as the same character in normal mode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there good must-have UI/graphical mods like the thicker borders mod for eu4? I remember there being a shortcut mod but I have no idea what it was and whether there are better ones.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Does anyone know what happens if you vassalise the pope but then become an infidel/heretic? It's not pressing at the moment because I haven't even formed an empire but once I do, i'm planning to abuse papal claims for a bit and then go cathar. Curious to know if the pope tries to rebel or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

double nine posted:

Are there good must-have UI/graphical mods like the thicker borders mod for eu4? I remember there being a shortcut mod but I have no idea what it was and whether there are better ones.

No, there are no such mods. The game is pretty good in this regard. Almost all mods are gameplay/scenario mods.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, I've never had any issue with the default map. External and internal borders are both very readable, the only real issue I've ever had is that CKII often features lots of scattered OPMs with long-rear end names, and the font is not especially readable when it's tiny and twisted up.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Has anyone heard anything about the estimated date for the next patch? There are still a few unsolved issues in the current version, and I'm itching to start a new game.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Is there a decent guide on playing a merchant republic out there? Havent messed with them and want to see if its somthing i would care to do.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'll half-agree with the sprawling dynasties thing. It's fun as hell and I love painting the dynasty map my colour, but I wouldn't say it's the point per se, it's more of a fun sideshow. I do love it when "CLAIM GREECE" or something pops up in my Irish game though. It's nice to know my extended family are out there boning up a storm.

As Abyssinia I married a few dynasty members off to some dukes in the byzantine empire for kicks, ~100 years later the greek part of my dynasty is almost twice as large as the ethiopian part of my dynasty. It's the best thing when you click on a random duke and see that they're your dynasty without knowing how they got there.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

TyrsHTML posted:

Is there a decent guide on playing a merchant republic out there? Havent messed with them and want to see if its somthing i would care to do.

Knuc wrote a pretty good one in the LP tutorial thread; those tutorials are all outdated by a couple versions, but most of the base advice should be true.

Ofaloaf, still having a blast with After the End- I can see the complaint with there being lots and lots of samey plainsland, but I live in the middle of that samey plainsland so it's nice to see it in a game. I'd like to see more ideological conflict in the middle than the Revelationist/Catholic split, but it's already pretty well-balanced. Anyway, playing through as the merchant republic of Detroit this time around, and got the best default name I've ever seen:

Stubbs went on to become one of my great generals, currently commanding my cavalry retinue at age ~45

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gimmick Account posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the estimated date for the next patch? There are still a few unsolved issues in the current version, and I'm itching to start a new game.

There is no reason not to start a new game right now. The levy bug is fixed, what's holding you back?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Torrannor posted:

There is no reason not to start a new game right now. The levy bug is fixed, what's holding you back?

I've heard that the awful longstanding coat of arms randomization bug ist still there despite having been 'fixed', and some other bugged event stuff that I read about in this thread but don't remember exactly anymore (Something concerning a Way of Life mechanic, I think).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Gimmick Account posted:

I've heard that the awful longstanding coat of arms randomization bug ist still there despite having been 'fixed', and some other bugged event stuff that I read about in this thread but don't remember exactly anymore (Something concerning a Way of Life mechanic, I think).

Nah, it's quite playable right now. Coat of arms randomization is still a thing, but not exactly game-ruining.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Those of you who have managed successful Erik the Heathen playthroughs and reformed Norse in a 1066 start, how do you deal with the HRE? I'm at the point where conquering the rest of Scandinavia is just cleanup, but the Empire is ridiculously stable in recent versions and holds both of the remaining holy sites. Taking even one province from it seems like an impossible prospect. It doesn't help that gavelkind makes everything a race against time.

(Playing EMF, if it matters)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Guildencrantz posted:

Those of you who have managed successful Erik the Heathen playthroughs and reformed Norse in a 1066 start, how do you deal with the HRE? I'm at the point where conquering the rest of Scandinavia is just cleanup, but the Empire is ridiculously stable in recent versions and holds both of the remaining holy sites. Taking even one province from it seems like an impossible prospect. It doesn't help that gavelkind makes everything a race against time.

(Playing EMF, if it matters)

Actually, gavelkind might work in your favor here. Once your realm splits up, you might be small enough to call a prepared invasion on the HRE (which spawns a shitton of event troops) and bring in your brothers as allies. I'd suggest stabbing your way to a child/female Kaiser first to reduce Imperial levies, and then strike fast before their allies can get organized.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Antipopes are still bugged such that they can't be deposed (they still happily continue being antipopes even after a successful Depose Antipope war is concluded).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Antipopes are still bugged such that they can't be deposed (they still happily continue being antipopes even after a successful Depose Antipope war is concluded).

In my current game Italy raised an antipope, and despite sharing a border and loving the real pope I got no 'Depose' CB. About half a century later the pope declared a 'crusade for Italy' which was successful and resulted in the antipope disappearing and the crown of Italy passing for whatever reason to a Lollard count, leading to immediate holy war declarations from every neighboring catholic kingdom.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How do you remove an antipope you control?

My ruler installed one... and can't figure out to remove him.

My ruler even converted to a heresy, but uh, the antipope is still under his control, loyal to a heretic. >.>

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you vassalise the pope but then become an infidel/heretic? It's not pressing at the moment because I haven't even formed an empire but once I do, i'm planning to abuse papal claims for a bit and then go cathar. Curious to know if the pope tries to rebel or something.
Nothing special. Pope just hates you more than usual, can't use him for anything (claims, etc). Bishops still pay you if they somehow still like you more than the pope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Once you set up an antipope there is no way to un-antipope him except to surrender to the next Depose Antipope war that comes along (which is currently bugged so that won't work either).

The only known way around it at the moment is to console the antipope's bishopric to the pope's control and then back again, but if you're Ironmanning you're SOL.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The Mongol start date as Genghis Khan used to be the most cathartic thing ever. You just look at kingdoms and they die to your horse archer death stacks.

But no, they had to make them tribal and remove them having Ultimo as the default succession law.

At least they have a pretty color now.
Ultimo is still the default succession law :confused: (I am playing that start right now).

However, what does suck is that you can't change it if you want to (no options in the law screen).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?832696-Fix-for-2.3.2-Antipope-problems

Someone has modded in a temporary fix.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm guessing that the mod will disable Ironman, though (could be wrong). In which case, if you're not in Ironman fixing it with the console is pretty easy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is there some way to save the game once you hit the game over screen? It would be really helpful for doing a quantum leap style game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

This Pope is so funny! :D

(for those who can't read traits, he's a Wicked Priest, Crusader, and Possessed).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hmm

can a Demonspawn ever get elected Pope?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
And here I thought this crusade was gonna be boring. :colbert:

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Excelzior posted:

Hmm

can a Demonspawn ever get elected Pope?

I don't see why not, problem is, demon spawn event chain is only limited to player and relatively rare.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
What was that tip about inviting people into plots? Something about there being more plotters available than when you just hit the "add to plot" button on the intrigue screen?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sucrose posted:

What was that tip about inviting people into plots? Something about there being more plotters available than when you just hit the "add to plot" button on the intrigue screen?
I'm not sure specifically how it works, but a bunch of outside people can also join in.

The time it came up for me was when I was ruling the Empire of Hispania, and I was able to pull my direct vassals into various plots against people who weren't in the target's court. I've never seen it come up below an Empire level, though.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.
So here is a nice little minimod that my friend Finsktalande made. The mod is basically a music mod that allows you to play all the songs regardless of culture or other restrictions the original DLC playlist file holds. The mod works by keeping the original weighs on the random playlist if you meet the requirements for the songs to play, but also adds a generic value of 1 to every other scenario if you don't meet the requirements. Best part of is that it DOES NOT change the checksum, so you can safely use it in multiplayer sessions.

Liberated Music

This is a tempelate folder that you need to extract the music fom the DLC zip files, as copyrights prevent me from just sharing the whole thing. So just find the DLC folder of Crusader Kings 2, and find the following DLC packs:
    dlc3.zip
    dlc4.zip
    dlc6.zip
    dlc9.zip
    dlc17.zip
    dlc19.zip
    dlc23.zip
    dlc25.zip
    dlc35.zip
    dlc36.zip
    dlc42.zip
After that, open the zip archives, and extract the music files from them and copy them to the mods own music folder. After you are done with that, the mod is fully functional and just boot up the game and enjoy. One thing to note however is to disable all the music packs from the DLC list.
The playlist assumes you have all music DLCs bought, and every song is listed (even the Songs of Yuletide, but that one has a modifier of 0.1, which makes it a pretty rare song outside of holiday season) in it. If you dont have certain DLCs, you can just delete said song entries from the list.

Baalfrog fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 30, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Okay, I broke up the Avars a bit more. I haven't done any tweaking to the map size yet, and might not bother for now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

This Pope is so funny! :D

(for those who can't read traits, he's a Wicked Priest, Crusader, and Possessed).

Hilarious.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Baalfrog posted:

I don't see why not, problem is, demon spawn event chain is only limited to player and relatively rare.

I recently captured a possessed Irish woman in a raid and got an event shortly after that told me she'd escaped and that she was suspected of being a spawn of the devil.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

ninjahedgehog posted:

Actually, gavelkind might work in your favor here. Once your realm splits up, you might be small enough to call a prepared invasion on the HRE (which spawns a shitton of event troops) and bring in your brothers as allies. I'd suggest stabbing your way to a child/female Kaiser first to reduce Imperial levies, and then strike fast before their allies can get organized.

Thanks for the tip, this would have been a decent way to go about it, but ultimately I didn't do that. Erik died fairly early and his only son was a military genius, topped at 32 martial in his prime with war focus. Although he also had 0 diplo, presumably because he'd grunt and axe people instead of speaking. So I had to do it all the hard way: beating the poo poo out of everyone. Invaded Norway, took Denmark piecemeal - thankfully I was able to steer a Waldensian revolt to victory, speeding up the process - and at that point the Kaiser got excommunicated and lost Italy to an independence war. Odin clearly smiles upon my efforts :getin:

To get Zeeland I did a straightforward conquest, had to fight the HRE and France at the same time alone :black101: Barely scraped by, blew like a thousand ducats on mercs, but I finally had four holy sites and could reform. Thanks, strait crossing penalty! In the end I went from an unstable Sweden full of Catholics and surrounded by enemies on all sides to this in the span of one generation:

And of course Fylkir Bagge the Victorious kicks the bucket literally weeks after forming the empire. And the HRE just elected a 25-martial dude who can raise 35K levies. Here's hoping he holy wars Jewish Bohemia (how the hell does that happen? the Premyslids are still in charge but they all decided they love matzah all of a sudden) instead of me because fuuuuck.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Ive always wondered by the mongols are ultimo. Wouldnt tanist be a better fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Ive always wondered by the mongols are ultimo. Wouldnt tanist be a better fit?

Isn't gavelkind what really happened to the mongol empire?

• Locked thread