Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Decided to clean the air filter while I was at it. :barf:

If it looks like that after the run in two weeks, I might pitch the K&N after all.

Rip off that fake push bar and just wash the k&n. Get a prefilter baggie for it and enjoy not having to pay $15 every time you go in to the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

If you are worried about underbody stuff, grab some bulk LDPE or HDPE and cut and zip tie or bolt on.

Bolted on in the front and ziptied looser on the back so it can flex with the suspension onto the rally car and has done about 1k miles at 60-100 mph on dirt with only some fraying in some areas. Taken some really nice hits too. Also made wheel well liners out of them and they hold up great.

Cheap stuff if you buy in big bulk sheets.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ditch the chrome poo poo, it is about as thick as a soupcan and protects nothing, like I said right after you bought it :v:

(And I think it looks like chrome teefs for a down syndrome walrus, but that's opinion/appearance)

All chryco part numbers are 7 (actually 8 with a leading 0 but some catalogs leave it off) or 8 numbers possibly followed by a two letter revision code. So that gas skid is 5210 0800AL. Oddly I can't find anything either.

There's another number on it, 5210 0425AE. When I look that up, it is a module package (aka a whole assembly the factory buys preassembled so they can just slap it in instead of bolting on 10 different parts) which includes a tank, fuel pump/sending unit assembly, and a skid. Sadly it won't break it down into individual part numbers included, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ozmiander posted:

Rip off that fake push bar and just wash the k&n. Get a prefilter baggie for it and enjoy not having to pay $15 every time you go in to the desert.

kastein posted:

Ditch the chrome poo poo, it is about as thick as a soupcan and protects nothing, like I said right after you bought it :v:

(And I think it looks like chrome teefs for a down syndrome walrus, but that's opinion/appearance)

Yeah yeah, I think I'll try taking it off sometime this week. The more I think about it, if it did save me from worse on the bumper in this case - it's already been weakened dramatically.

Ozi: It's a panel insert for the stock airbox, do they make prefilters for those? Or do you stick that on the snorkel leading into the airbox?

I'm not so worried about the underbody, I'm more amazed that with the noises I was making that there was nothing more than superficial damage.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah yeah, I think I'll try taking it off sometime this week. The more I think about it, if it did save me from worse on the bumper in this case - it's already been weakened dramatically.

I'm not so worried about the underbody, I'm more amazed that with the noises I was making that there was nothing more than superficial damage.

One of my favorite things about my jeep is how much dragging it lets me get away with. I've scraped up pretty much every inch of the underside and it just begs for more. I have added pretty much every skid plate available though...

The thing about the push-bar and side-steps is that if you remove them NOW you may be able to sell them for a few bucks. If you fully gently caress them up you probably won't be able to give them away. If you're looking to upgrade them into something more useful, and you're pretty handy, you could make templates from the mounting plates and make something that would work a lot better. Personally, I'd skip the front bumper all together and throw some money at a pair of legit side rails. The first thing that took a beating on my jeep was the sides, and I was super glad that I'd added the rails.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The best deal I found for WJ rock sliders is the set from JCR for $409 with free shipping. Most places like Iron Rock Offroad have theirs for $400+ without free shipping. There are rails in the $200ish range, but they don't have the added round bar extension to keep rocks away from the door panels.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

The best deal I found for WJ rock sliders is the set from JCR for $409 with free shipping. Most places like Iron Rock Offroad have theirs for $400+ without free shipping. There are rails in the $200ish range, but they don't have the added round bar extension to keep rocks away from the door panels.

And you'll want the bar once you add the 6" lift :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

The thing about the push-bar and side-steps is that if you remove them NOW you may be able to sell them for a few bucks. If you fully gently caress them up you probably won't be able to give them away.

With the loving nightmare of a time I had trying to sell the old wheels, and the pile of Ranger parts I still have in my garage... gently caress trying to sell that poo poo, that's what the scrapyard down the road is for. Way too many flakes on CL for my liking.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Group shot from the beach.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mall crawling? I'll have you know this is a gravel parking lot, and every one of those tire tracks was mine.

The snow looked a lot deeper when I was driving through it. 4Hi definitely helped.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
A few from Rausch Creek this weekend. Really took very few pics. Climbing glare ice frozen creeks was awesome though.

^ right before the ice broke and I fell in :lol:

Not sure why we got so many warnings for Greens being difficult here, we did one green trail and spent the rest of the day on Blues with what were stock trucks with 31s (I was the only one on 33s).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I love the SNOW PLZ plate on the Xterra! Looks like a blast!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blaise posted:

Not sure why we got so many warnings for Greens being difficult here

Depends on the time of year/weather. A lot of the greens are muddy and slippery in the summer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice flex pics. Be careful of that detail slider in your photo touch up software though. There was a time when all my off road photos had detail bumped way up too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Still more photos trickling in from last weekend.

Low-rider. :snoop:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

jonathan posted:

Nice flex pics. Be careful of that detail slider in your photo touch up software though. There was a time when all my off road photos had detail bumped way up too.

Hatehatehate! :D

I like having the clarity bumped. Personal preference.

I was shocked at how well the stock 4runner did. Totally bone stock and a timid driver and he was just cruising!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Still more photos trickling in from last weekend.

Low-rider. :snoop:

How did the pathfinders hold up?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quite well, as far as I can tell; had them aired down to ~20 PSI. If I ever couldn't move forward it's because I was just plain on the wrong line and getting hung up on something, or a couple of spots (like either just before or just after that first picture) where I just needed to give it more gas to let the Varilocks do their job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Timelapse of the whole run, with whatever music Youtube had that was close enough in total length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9yQRJ3r_E

Then if you want to see / hear me getting nervous in real-time:

The first big climb on the trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BubTrXLeqRg

A steep downhill on some really loose rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwDdgkZMeA

Pretty sure this did the most damage to that stupid chrome bar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4YoIL_ago

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Blaise posted:

A few from Rausch Creek this weekend. Really took very few pics. Climbing glare ice frozen creeks was awesome though.

Not sure why we got so many warnings for Greens being difficult here, we did one green trail and spent the rest of the day on Blues with what were stock trucks with 31s (I was the only one on 33s).

I don't think I knew you were in PA (Until you start your road trip anyway), I live in Williamsport.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just had to drop my winch out, strip the motor apart and clean all the rust out of it because water got into it during a deep crossing... Found out when the winch didnt work last weekend!

Stupid Warn seals!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:stonk:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Holy loving :bravo:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Had a cone do that to me once during an autocross.

Can't remember if they counted it as a penalty or not.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Had a cone do that to me once during an autocross.

Can't remember if they counted it as a penalty or not.

I had a cone munch my fender once too after loving up with my mudflap and everything.

I just finished the run and took the fender off.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Custom bump stop.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This is how 4x4s do fender rolling. Hellaflush fans take note.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That's his shock sheared off and resting against the leaf isn't it? :sax:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's his shock sheared off and resting against the leaf isn't it? :sax:

With my luck, it normally shears from the other side and drags on the ground but yeah.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Come back, thread!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are those googly eyes on the front diff pan?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Are those googly eyes on the front diff pan?

Yes, basically.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Come back, thread!

I'm putting my rock sliders on this weekend, then we should hit some trails. I want to push this WJ a bit.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Is anybody going to TDS Desert Safari this year? I'll be there with a bunch of folks. Not doing the official runs but hanging out with my group during the day and going in for the raffle and vendor booths, etc.

Off-road goon meat?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I'm putting my rock sliders on this weekend, then we should hit some trails. I want to push this WJ a bit.
I'm down. I am totally itching to get out there ... it's been too long.

The moab trip will happen again in october, you should come. We spend a week out there, camping and driving over poo poo.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is anybody going to TDS Desert Safari this year? I'll be there with a bunch of folks. Not doing the official runs but hanging out with my group during the day and going in for the raffle and vendor booths, etc.

Off-road goon meat?
A little too crowded for my tastes, unfortunately.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I may go. I'll probably just be dicking around in cageapalooza though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I may go. I'll probably just be dicking around in cageapalooza though.

Maybe we can have a lot of fun looking for each other like last year!

e: What is cageapalooza?!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
haha right!!

actually my av is from TDS last year.

E: Confirmed, the jungle gym is going.
Maybe I can talk the wife into taking the rubi

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Come back, thread!

Trip Report MMMMEGAPOST: Black Mountain Wilderness/Opal Mountain or, Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert...

A friend and I did a quick overnighter last weekend, before the Superbowl. We originally planned on going up Lytle Creek, CA but there was rain projected and since that area is essentially one massive flood basin for Mt. Baldy, we figured the FS would close the campsites and we didn't want to deal with that. Instead we drove a bit further and went up 395, up to just past the 58. During my last-minute planning, I noticed a "Boron Federal Prison Camp" on the satellite view that looked totally abandoned so we stopped to see if it was. Well, it was - the place was totally trashed:

The FAA scanning tower at the top of the hill is still in use, and heavily fenced/cameras

Yes, this is a little rag doll tied by a noose to an air handler:

The closest town is Boron, home of the largest borax mine in the world. They used 20-mule teams to haul the mineral back in the day, and we found this excellent mural commemorating that:

We found the mechanic's building, with pretty sweet tool-boards still mostly intact (the rest was riddled with shotgun blasts and garbage):

I am totally going to start a industrial-euro desert rave once a year at this structure at the top of the hill:

We explored some other basements and a few side buildings, but everything of interest(read:copper) was stripped bare and full of trash. We finally found this inscription, and took it as a sign to move on to lesser traveled areas before dark:

Time to head east 17.5 miles into the desert, away from people and into the Black Mountain Wilderness. Twas a dark and stormy evening

Once we entered the lower end of the Black Mountain Canyon road, we stopped to examine some of the first etchings you find in the rocks.

The area is scattered with petroglyphs dating back thousands of years, and more recent ones. "A. Tillman" was one of the early silver ore miners in the area, dating to 1874

JEEPS WOOO

Shortly after that spot, we took a wrong turn and got hopelessly turned around. The area is riddled with well-marked BLM roads, but I hadn't had time to get a good map. We ended up taking a rough old mining road which gradually turned South.... long story short, when we finally admitted defeat and turned on the GPS on my phone we were five miles from where we thought we were, and facing 180 degrees from the heading we wanted. I've spent a lot of time out in the middle of nowhere, but never gotten lost that badly before. Don't gently caress around in the desert, kids - take a map and don't forget your compass like I did. We almost made the stereotypical complete circle, even making classic mistakes such as assuming topographical landmarks were the ones we "saw" on my printed google maps.

After a sober moment of laughing at ourselves and re-orienting, we turned back and found a nice spot to camp where I originally hoped to be, up in the mountains off the Opel Mine Road.

My friend takes fire pits seriously:

At this point, the sun began to set and that ten minutes alone was worth the whole trip:

The next morning, the stupid Jeep wouldn't start - we had flogged it through a few shallow puddles in the road the day before, but nothing serious. The bastard just cranked and cranked; wouldn't turn over. After an hour of tinkering and troubleshooting with no luck, the battery started getting lower and we began to grimly contemplate either hiking miles back to the last spot we had cell service, or miles the other direction towards the faint sound of some target shooting we could hear in the distance. It didn't make sense - we had fuel pressure, spark, no water in the airbox, distributor cap was dry, etc.... I decided to crank the fucker one last time until the battery died, and after fifteen long seconds of helpless whining it turned over. We drove it for 30 minutes, turned it off, and it started fine the rest of the day.

With great relief we packed up and went to our final destination, Inscription Canyon - this little volcanic cut supposedly has about 1000 petroglyphs from the natives original to the area. Having seen one petroglyph canyon in a desert not too far from here, I had high hopes and it didn't disappoint.

The Western end of the canyon:

ART!!!!1

Bighorn Sheep etchings; often sought by CA petroglyph nuts:

This looks like a lazy one, but it seems to be an example of one of my favorite glyphs - a snake depicted crawling out of a crack in the rock:

Sadly, there were some modern defacings and evidence of people chipping away huge chunks of rocks and taking the etchings. The east end of the canyon is easily accessible to any moderate SUV, and although the canyon itself is blocked with a fence it's just too easy to get to. There were tons more petroglyphs and I took tons more photos, but those were some of my favorites.

As we were finishing up, a couple of nice Wranglers came by - was good to know we would have been able to get a tow out without too much issue.

The road out (what we originally planned to come in on) was easy, and we were able to figure out where we took a wrong turn. We encountered the group of target shooters, and a group of dirt bikers as well. Took one last stop for lunch, and headed back to LA to settle in for the Superbowl:

There was only one road back to LA.... Interstate 15 - a frantic high-speed burn through Baker, Barstow and Berdoo...

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bad freakin' rear end! I've driven by Boron but I haven't seen all that. New short term goal!