Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rudager posted:

So he's a supervisor in a fast food or big retail chain store right?

Every single one of them I've worked with is exactly like this, always make sure their minimum wage underlings know how much better they have it as supervisor, when they really don't.

Same mindset, but we're federal public servants. At least he's got a DB pension to fall back on I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

CountOfNowhere posted:

Major metro areas allow you to have a fulfilling life without owning a car. gently caress cars. They break your loving wallet and empty every pocket, and also walking to work is infinitely better than driving (from a sanity perspective, at least... but I have ~~issues~~ with others).

I like owning a car.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
OMFG stop taking the Jastiger bait.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I live about 5 miles from work and am thinking of going carless when my lease expires.

Bicycle in the summer/Bus in the winter would be optimal. I've thought about walking, but that would take way too much time.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Everyone is different. I'm a car guy so I like wrenching on $1000 deathheaps and I run a positive cash flow on my cars because I like to flip them. That is not everybody. Most people hate being covered in grease and rolling down the road in a vehicle made before they were born, and the cars = good/bad with money argument is absurd because everyone has a different value system.

I think we all can agree that buy here-pay-here lots and truck equity is bad with money. Speaking of bad with cars and money, ya'll might find this piece about the subprime auto lending industry fascinating.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2015-01-28/concerns_about_the_rise_in_subprime_auto_loans

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Everyone is different. I'm a car guy so I like wrenching on $1000 deathheaps and I run a positive cash flow on my cars because I like to flip them. That is not everybody. Most people hate being covered in grease and rolling down the road in a vehicle made before they were born, and the cars = good/bad with money argument is absurd because everyone has a different value system.

I think we all can agree that buy here-pay-here lots and truck equity is bad with money. Speaking of bad with cars and money, ya'll might find this piece about the subprime auto lending industry fascinating.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2015-01-28/concerns_about_the_rise_in_subprime_auto_loans

Hahaha the first comment:

quote:

Never really understood the logic.

Average cost of a new car; $30,0000
Average loan interest rate; 3%
Average depreciation on the car the minute you drive off the lot; 9%
Value of car; $27,000
Cost of 4-year loan; $32,343
Immediate loss to you; $5,343

Two possible solutions:

1) Save up and pay with cash (not realistic for many), or
2) Buy a used car in need of some work, or, go to a local auction and buy a car "totaled" by the insurance company. Hire the local mechanic who owns a body shop to fix the car up. You get a lot more car for a lot less money while supporting your local small business owner. You get a lower auto insurance rate. You win, small business wins, America wins.

Don't buy a new car, buy a salvage titled car totaled in a wreck and pay to get it repaired! :downs:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Hahaha the first comment:

Don't buy a new car, buy a salvage titled car totaled in a wreck and pay to get it repaired! :downs:

PRO INSURANCE TIP: Most insurance companies won't insure a salvage vehicle, or if they do, they charge you MORE for it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nickutz posted:

I like owning a car.

I own two cars, rent a shop, and do automotive work for people on the side. I still like living in a major city center and think its worth the tradeoffs... Only driving for fun and pleasure is nice.

Also, the above is on topic because haha its bad with money.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

double post

Droo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2015

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Phone posting at the moment, but counting fuel adds a surprising amount to cost of ownership most people don't account for when operating a car. I haven't included insurance in this, but it runs about $90/month.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Phone posting at the moment, but counting fuel adds a surprising amount to cost of ownership most people don't account for when operating a car. I haven't included insurance in this, but it runs about $90/month.

Really? I'd say most people only account for gas when considering the cost of car ownership.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

2. I did not count gasoline because that isn't really inherent to the cost of owning a car. If you never used the car at all that cost would be close to $0, so I think it is fair to exclude it from this.

If that's the case then why did you include the tires, windshield chip, and other maintenance? If you never used the car you wouldn't have incurred those costs either.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

If that's the case then why did you include the tires, windshield chip, and other maintenance? If you never used the car you wouldn't have incurred those costs either.

Well first of all a lot of maintenance would need to be done anyway (e.g. oil changes, timing belt). Second of all, feel free to quote my post and edit out maintenance to make your own point.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

th vwls hv scpd posted:

What app is that? It looks interesting.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Droo posted:

Well first of all a lot of maintenance would need to be done anyway (e.g. oil changes, timing belt). Second of all, feel free to quote my post and edit out maintenance to make your own point.

You wouldn't have to change the timing belt if you never drove it either. Oil changes, sure, but probably a lot less often.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

You wouldn't have to change the timing belt if you never drove it either. Oil changes, sure, but probably a lot less often.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2291778/change-a-timing-belt-after-many-years-but-few-miles

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Well, I learned something new today, guess I can go back to bed.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

HonorableTB posted:

What app is that? It looks interesting.

aCar. I absolutely love it. The free version only displays the last 30 days of records. It also supports import methods from other apps and websites.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

I guess it seems silly to me to ignore one of the major operational costs of this thing you choose to own. Like, obviously if you bought a Prius it would cost a different amount than if you bought an Escalade or a Ford Fiesta or whatever. But your model choice would impact how much you actually spend on gas as well.

I would say the relevant inquiry is not "how much does it cost to have this car sitting in my garage" unless it's a collector car. The relevant inquiry is "how much does it cost to own this car and use it the way I do".

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

I guess it seems silly to me to ignore one of the major operational costs of this thing you choose to own. Like, obviously if you bought a Prius it would cost a different amount than if you bought an Escalade or a Ford Fiesta or whatever. But your model choice would impact how much you actually spend on gas as well.

I would say the relevant inquiry is not "how much does it cost to have this car sitting in my garage" unless it's a collector car. The relevant inquiry is "how much does it cost to own this car and use it the way I do".

I guess I don't understand how you can't understand the basic economics of getting from point A to point B, but I will attempt to explain in painful detail for you.

Say, for example, you own a car. You want to drive that car 20 miles because you want to meet a friend. Your car is already paid for and maintained, and while in theory you are adding some wear and tear, for this trip all it really costs you is a gallon of gasoline, so $2.50.

Say, for example, you DON'T own a car. You want to travel 20 miles because you want to meet a friend. You don't own a car, as established, and you need to get there. What do you do? Do you not go? I guess you could not go, but then you aren't comparing owning a car to not owning a car anymore, you are comparing going places to being a hermit, so that's not fair.

Hmmmmmmmmm what could we do? Well you could take public transportation. In Chicago, that costs $2.25. WOW THAT IS THE SAME PRICE ALMOST AS THE GAS!!!! Maybe we can just ignore gasoline in our analysis, because it seems like it generally approximates public subsidized costs of travelling around the city, which is really the only practical location you can get by without a car in America.

I just don't understand how anyone could not inherently understand this.

PS: As far as some cars getting shittier mileage than other cars - well obviously. But then you aren't comparing the cost of owning a car to not owning a car, you are comparing the cost of owning one type of car vs a different type of car. Which is not what we were doing at all.

Droo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 29, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

To make a fair and accurate comparison of car vs. no car, you need to include all costs of car ownership including purchase/depreciation, financing costs, insurance, maintenance, fuel consumption, etc. and compare it to total costs of non-ownership - be it bus pass, bicycle, car2go, or uber/taxi or some combination thereof. Anything else is dishonest.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

I guess I don't understand how you can't understand the basic economics of getting from point A to point B, but I will attempt to explain in painful detail for you.

Say, for example, you own a car. You want to drive that car 20 miles because you want to meet a friend. Your car is already paid for and maintained, and while in theory you are adding some wear and tear, for this trip all it really costs you is a gallon of gasoline, so $2.50.

Say, for example, you DON'T own a car. You want to travel 20 miles because you want to meet a friend. You don't own a car, as established, and you need to get there. What do you do? Do you not go? I guess you could not go, but then you aren't comparing owning a car to not owning a car anymore, you are comparing going places to being a hermit, so that's not fair.

Hmmmmmmmmm what could we do? Well you could take public transportation. In Chicago, that costs $2.25. WOW THAT IS THE SAME PRICE ALMOST AS THE GAS!!!! Maybe we can just ignore gasoline in our analysis, because it seems like it generally approximates public subsidized costs of travelling around the city, which is really the only practical location you can get by without a car in America.

PS: As far as some cars getting shittier mileage than other cars - well obviously. But then you aren't comparing the cost of owning a car to not owning a car, you are comparing the cost of owning one type of car vs a different type of car. Which is not what we were doing at all.

This is a really weird and handwavey way to think about your transportation costs.

I feel like maybe I misunderstood all the prefacing you did in your original post about why you thought the ownership costs are worth separating out from the usage costs, but since you deleted it I don't really know what to say.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Droo posted:

Ok, so? For this trip, gas and public transit costs were equal.

How would you know that if you didn't look at those costs? Why would you not account for price of fuel or other operating costs?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez you call it Jastiger bait when I point out how Bad WIth Money it is to live in the ridiculous big cities and you respond to that nonsense with the vehicles. Offensive.

Bad with money: Tax Season and insurance. I have SO MANY calls from 22 year old getting 2014/15 sports cars with no prior insurance and a co signer with mom or dad because babby's first tax return is enough for a downpayment.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

NancyPants posted:

Ok, so? For this trip, gas and public transit costs were equal.

How would you know that if you didn't look at those costs? Why would you not account for price of fuel or other operating costs?

I would be happy to compare gasoline costs to equivalent public transit costs in order to improve my original analysis. Can you please provide the following expenses for one calendar year, for someone who does not own a car:

1. A detailed log of all trips you made
2. The public transportation costs you incurred for all trips for the year
3. The hypothetical car-mileage total for each trip
4. All hypothetical parking costs you would have incurred at your destination point
5. The total time you spent in public transportation
6. The total time you would have spent driving to those locations
7. The relative value of your time, per hour, to use with items 5 and 6

PM me with the info, I will post an updated comparison.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

th vwls hv scpd posted:

The US Govt reimbursement rate which is supposed to cover everything was $0.55/mile last I was told. I use that to calculate the cost of commuting. It is why I walk to work.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Droo posted:

I would be happy to compare gasoline costs to equivalent public transit costs in order to improve my original analysis. Can you please provide the following expenses for one calendar year, for someone who does not own a car:

1. A detailed log of all trips you made
2. The public transportation costs you incurred for all trips for the year
3. The hypothetical car-mileage total for each trip
4. All hypothetical parking costs you would have incurred at your destination point

PM me with the info, I will post an updated comparison.

I don't really need a team of accountants to tell me that my public transit costs are $1200/yr. It would cost me about twice as much just to park a car near my place.

e: This is Chicago where a monthly pass on the CTA is $100.

Barry fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 29, 2015

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Droo posted:

Getting a quantitative apples to apples comparison here is going to be really difficult because you can do other stuff while you're on the bus/train, whereas when you drive you're pretty much stuck staring at the road for the entire time you're in the car.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Getting a quantitative apples to apples comparison here is going to be really difficult because you can do other stuff while you're on the bus/train, whereas when you drive you're pretty much stuck staring at the road for the entire time you're in the car.

Hmm I think you are right. Maybe we should just say that it is way too complicated and circumstance-dependent to compare exactly, and we can find some kind of general "hand wavy" way to compare the two costs so that we can do a quick, approximate analysis of car ownership that some people might find interesting?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

Hmm I think you are right. Maybe we should just say that it is way too complicated and circumstance-dependent to compare exactly, and we can find some kind of general "hand wavy" way to compare the two costs so that we can do a quick, approximate analysis of car ownership that some people might find interesting?

The quick approximate analysis of car ownership should include fuel costs, which are the second greatest cost of ownership behind depreciation :ssh:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

The quick approximate analysis of car ownership should include fuel costs, which are the second greatest cost of ownership behind depreciation :ssh:

It's a good thing I was comparing the cost of owning a car versus getting around town without one then.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Maybe we should forego yet another silly car derail and instead spend our time scouring reddit or other forums for stories of people bad with money.

I'll start http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2u3vdr/today_i_discovered_that_i_apparently_opened_a/

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Droo posted:

I just don't understand why you have to be such a chode about it.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

MickeyFinn posted:

The US Govt reimbursement rate which is supposed to cover everything was $0.55/mile last I was told. I use that to calculate the cost of commuting. It is why I walk to work.

You only get that write off if you use a personal vehicle for work. If you are required to be on-site at the start of the day, you can not write that off. Only mileage between locations while working.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

th vwls hv scpd posted:

You only get that write off if you use a personal vehicle for work. If you are required to be on-site at the start of the day, you can not write that off. Only mileage between locations while working.

I am not saying anyone should use it for tax purposes. It is merely a quick and easy way to estimate the cost of driving a car X miles on some kind of regular schedule. For instance, a daily commute to work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

th vwls hv scpd posted:

You're correct about the tax part if you're talking a deduction. I believe the poster is talking about the government employee reimbursable rate (that is, if you work for .gov but have to drive your own vehicle on official business)
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/100715

Regardless, I think that poster is saying using the reimbursable rate of $0.55/mile is a pretty good proxy estimate for what it costs to own and drive a car.

e:f;b.

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?
A guy I know knows a guy who is in almost 50 grand of CC debt. His brilliant plan to clear the debt? Buy silver, specifically 6 oz of silver per month. It's like a mistake within a mistake.

Cherry on top: he's a manager of a bank branch (I know employees of retail banks aren't investing experts, but it's funny nonetheless), and his own employer also won't approve refinancing on his mortgage.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

roflcopter thief posted:

A guy I know knows a guy who is in almost 50 grand of CC debt. His brilliant plan to clear the debt? Buy silver, specifically 6 oz of silver per month. It's like a mistake within a mistake.

Cherry on top: he's a manager of a bank branch (I know employees of retail banks aren't investing experts, but it's funny nonetheless), and his own employer also won't approve refinancing on his mortgage.

See if you can get him to write down a prediction of the price of silver in 12 months

E:actually if he lucks into a correct guess then his stupid intuition will have been reinforced so maybe don't do this for his sake

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

roflcopter thief posted:

I think Warren Buffett's take on this is the most concise refute of investing in precious metals. Silver specifically is lame because it tarnishes and doesn't stay shiny unless you store it perfectly.

quote:

Today the world’s gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.) At $1,750 per ounce – gold’s price as I write this – its value would be $9.6 trillion. Call this cube pile A.

Let’s now create a pile B costing an equal amount. For that, we could buy all U.S. cropland (400 million acres with output of about $200 billion annually), plus 16 Exxon Mobils (the world’s most profitable company, one earning more than $40 billion annually). After these purchases, we would have about $1 trillion left over for walking-around money (no sense feeling strapped after this buying binge). Can you imagine an investor with $9.6 trillion selecting pile A over pile B?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

See if you can get him to write down a prediction of the price of silver in 12 months

E:actually if he lucks into a correct guess then his stupid intuition will have been reinforced so maybe don't do this for his sake

Alright so say he bought 72 ounces of silver right now at $20 that would cost $1440.

To pay for the $1000 of interest per month on $50k he would need a profit on the silver of $12k.

He'll be in the money if the price of silver goes up to about $187 per ounce. I can't see how this would go wrong. :shepface:

• Locked thread