Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Our T1s have one of those too but have taken it upon themselves to completly ignore it :rant:

I used to work in webhosting, our T1 had pretty unprecedented access to fix stuff, and we even sent them to a week long "How to fix this poo poo" class.

We had a 10 step basic troubleshooting guide that had steps like "Telnet to the service port that isn't working 25 for mail 80 for web and paste the results into the escalation template" or "Press this button to rebuild the httpd.conf file" and it also acted as a template for escalating tickets up the chain.

The whole process that fixed maybe 80% of tickets took a grand total of 2 minutes to complete if you knew how to use your fingers.

Meanwhile in Sysadmin land I still got tickets with escalation notes that say "Customer is saying it isn't working".

This eventually led to a series of scriptwriting competitions in the sysadmin dept that eventually resulted in competentT1.pl, a script that did all the poo poo they were supposed to do and then would prompt you to run a relevant script to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I used to work in webhosting, our T1 had pretty unprecedented access to fix stuff, and we even sent them to a week long "How to fix this poo poo" class.

We had a 10 step basic troubleshooting guide that had steps like "Telnet to the service port that isn't working 25 for mail 80 for web and paste the results into the escalation template" or "Press this button to rebuild the httpd.conf file" and it also acted as a template for escalating tickets up the chain.

The whole process that fixed maybe 80% of tickets took a grand total of 2 minutes to complete if you knew how to use your fingers.

Meanwhile in Sysadmin land I still got tickets with escalation notes that say "Customer is saying it isn't working".

This eventually led to a series of scriptwriting competitions in the sysadmin dept that eventually resulted in competentT1.pl, a script that did all the poo poo they were supposed to do and then would prompt you to run a relevant script to fix it.

So you pretty much scripted your helpdesk.

Awesome.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Turns out computers were better at following the scripts all along

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Eldercain posted:

Turns out computers were better at following the scripts all along

Especially when you include a crappy voice recognition module.

"It sounds like you're having trouble with your internet connection. Is that right?"

"Yes"

"It sounds like you want to upgrade to the premium bundle for only $129.99 more than you're currently paying. Is that right?"

"What? NO."

"Thank you for upgrading. Your bill will be applied retroactively to the beginning of the month. Have a nice day!"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

m.hache posted:

So you pretty much scripted your helpdesk.

Awesome.

It was that or work 6 hours of overtime every day to do the poo poo that they would dump on us. Ultimately 3/4th of the ticket queue, basically anything that wasn't a password reset would be dumped onto us. Basically departments went home/worked overtime based on the state of their queue. Around 4PM 1st shift helpdesk would start mass escalating things to the sysadmin dept so their queue would look good. The sysadmins were told we couldn't de-escalate because it increased the time to repair which wasn't very "Customer Focused" and they flat loving refused to fire people for doing jack poo poo all day.

I still blame the ditching top 10% tech incentives are what killed T1's willingness to do anything but navel gaze all day. When I was in the tech pit the top 10% of the ticket doers (Completed tickets /w no re-opens, tickets the customer rated were weighted heavier) would get a monthly bonus, and before I moved into the Sysadmin group I got that loving bonus every month. The bottom 10% got a counseling statement that said "Do better or find a new job" and the system was weighted enough that as long as you were within farting distance of the average group you really had nothing to worry about (The bottom 10% often ended up working out to one or two people who were just loving awful). They got rid of this stuff, did away with bonuses/employee of the month/pretty much everything and shock of shocks, the department spiraled into the gutter.

I like non vague quantifiable incentive based bonus structures. I don't have one right now and qualifying what gets me a raise/bonus is basically voodoo. I also miss the extra 2-300 bucks a month I got on top of the yearly top performer bonus, all added up it came out to a pretty penny for a guy doing his first IT job.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Fool posted:

"good enough" for some people is fine. However, that doesn't change the fact that benchmarks put MSE's detection rate 30-40% behind every other AV program on the market. On top of that, anecdotaly, MSE does absolutely nothing to prevent modern adware and many newer ransomwares.

"Detection rates" mean little in actual use, and most software isn't all that proactive in preventing modern adware and ransomware. Mandatory adblock's much more useful in any environment to be honest.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Especially when you include a crappy voice recognition module.

gently caress these things. gently caress them so hard.

usually whenever I hear them, I spam the # key until the system soft locks and they transfer me to an actual person. except in the cases where they have it hang up on you because gently caress YOU ARGH*UINWEPTN)W _T JW)EPO JT)OIW HNETPOOI$ NT )P#$NTUOI NWEFPO WNEIR J#)_$PER J)P#$ JR_WJ$)_T K#MOFNDSLK

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Migishu posted:

gently caress these things. gently caress them so hard.

usually whenever I hear them, I spam the # key until the system soft locks and they transfer me to an actual person. except in the cases where they have it hang up on you because gently caress YOU ARGH*UINWEPTN)W _T JW)EPO JT)OIW HNETPOOI$ NT )P#$NTUOI NWEFPO WNEIR J#)_$PER J)P#$ JR_WJ$)_T K#MOFNDSLK

There are some of those systems that use voice recognition that can detect swear words and will transfer to a live person if you curse at them enough.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I always love getting 4 options deep into an IVR to find out you're in the wrong section but no way to go back so you have to hang up and start over.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

pr0digal posted:

There are some of those systems that use voice recognition that can detect swear words and will transfer to a live person if you curse at them enough.

This is something I learned a long time ago, and it's my favorite thing to do. Years ago I worked at Radio Shack and there were a lot of places we had to make calls to. Was great training newcomers this "one weird tip".

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Detection rates" mean little in actual use, and most software isn't all that proactive in preventing modern adware and ransomware. Mandatory adblock's much more useful in any environment to be honest.

I'm glad that's your carefully considered opinion but it's still a better metric than "I just don't think so."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I do tier 1, 2 and sometimes 3 stuff at my current place. Unfortunately there's no opportunity to make the jump from helldesk to the sysadmin group and that sucks.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

m.hache posted:

I always love getting 4 options deep into an IVR to find out you're in the wrong section but no way to go back so you have to hang up and start over.

Hey, there's only a 30 minute hold until you got to that point!

:v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Hey, there's only a 30 minute hold until you got to that point!

:v:

I just keep going until I get a person at that point.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A computer came in, attached to a mildly autisitic girl.

She "Knew all about keeping her computer up-to-date" and would download EVERYTHING that would "update" her computer. She also liked have 30 tabs of about 5 webpages open at any given time.

Mind you, her home computer wasn't working because she "updated it" and couldn't do some of the schoolwork at home because of this.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

m.hache posted:

On most IVRs the * button works as a back button, that's saved me from having to call back and start over a few times.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
A CIO came in... to my office. Yelling on his phone about how a VP called up someone else in IT and bullied them to tears over something. Then he wandered out into the hall, yelled some more, wandered back in to my office even farther, quickly apologized when I gave him the "can I help you?" look, and stayed out in the hall until the end of his call. :catstare:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pr0digal posted:

This is my excuse the next time my supervisor overhears a calm, steady stream of filth coming from my desk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pr0digal posted:

Somebody in AT said that those systems don't actually use voice recognition: your answer is listened to by someone in a call centre and they choose the appropriate menu option for you.

I felt terrible when I read that - I used to use that opportunity to say some very, very bad things that a person should not hear.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

The Fool posted:

"good enough" for some people is fine. However, that doesn't change the fact that benchmarks put MSE's detection rate 30-40% behind every other AV program on the market. On top of that, anecdotaly, MSE does absolutely nothing to prevent modern adware and many newer ransomwares.

Benchmarks really mean jackal. Every other AV on the market is a massive system hog and has its own form of adware included. Echoing someone else, most AV's don't deal with any adware or ransomware well if at all.

I'll take the free solution that covers all but the worst offenders, and doesn't grind my system to a halt hindering my productivity.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

This is my excuse the next time my supervisor overhears a calm, steady stream of filth coming from my desk.

My boss says if he doesn't hear a constant litany of swearing from my desk he assumes I'm not working.

He's not wrong.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spog posted:

Somebody in AT said that those systems don't actually use voice recognition: your answer is listened to by someone in a call centre and they choose the appropriate menu option for you.

I felt terrible when I read that - I used to use that opportunity to say some very, very bad things that a person should not hear.

A family member who works for a leading speech recognition company told me that it was voice recognition (at least on some systems)

So maybe it's both! :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Apparently some companies use voice recognition software, but some go for the cheaper alternative of voice recognition Indians.

edit: and as I understand, when they go the outsource route, its usually indians who do not speak english, but are trained to respond to certain combinations of sounds and route you without knowing what is being said.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

RFC2324 posted:

Apparently some companies use voice recognition software, but some go for the cheaper alternative of voice recognition Indians.

edit: and as I understand, when they go the outsource route, its usually indians who do not speak english, but are trained to respond to certain combinations of sounds and route you without knowing what is being said.

The idea of a mechanical turk voice recognition system sounds like it'd be more trouble than actually just having a VR system, to me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

spog posted:

They should really do that. I have a habit of using hold time as a no-holds-barred feedback session. Keeps me from swearing at the reps as much.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ursine Asylum posted:

The idea of a mechanical turk voice recognition system sounds like it'd be more trouble than actually just having a VR system, to me.

Speech recognition is HARD. Between the various accents, the ways people phrase things, and the less than ideal bandwidth you have during a call, real deal VR is difficult to do cheaply enough to be worth it. That's why you can seriously outsource the initial call to a mechanical indian system, give them 8 big buttons for each major issue, and feed them the 10 second clip of you 'stating the problem or issue'.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
"Visual voicemail" is all Indians because the ~20% error rate of voice recognition looks absurd in text form.

Going rate is about a quarter a voicemail.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hihifellow posted:

A CIO came in... to my office. Yelling on his phone about how a VP called up someone else in IT and bullied them to tears over something. Then he wandered out into the hall, yelled some more, wandered back in to my office even farther, quickly apologized when I gave him the "can I help you?" look, and stayed out in the hall until the end of his call. :catstare:
Some people are just incapable of sitting or standing still while on the phone. With a desk phone they're tethered to the immediate area around their desk, but mobiles have greatly increased the area they roam.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Rawrbomb posted:

Every other AV on the market is a massive system hog and has its own form of adware included.

this isn't true. at. all.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Collateral Damage posted:

Some people are just incapable of sitting or standing still while on the phone. With a desk phone they're tethered to the immediate area around their desk, but mobiles have greatly increased the area they roam.

I do this. Hour long family phone calls are a good bit of exercise as I pace incessantly.

Friend's boss told her that maybe if she closed some browser tabs the database wouldn't respond so slowly :psyduck: IT guy was in the room installing something and just had this huge grin on his face.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So a customer bought a replacement DC jack for their laptop, and brought the thing in for us to do the replacement for them once they realized it requires soldering. Fine, we do that sort of thing all the time. They even helpfully got things started for us by carefully removing the motherboard. It's wrapped in a nice fluffy tea towel for safety.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Entropic posted:

So a customer bought a replacement DC jack for their laptop, and brought the thing in for us to do the replacement for them once they realized it requires soldering. Fine, we do that sort of thing all the time. They even helpfully got things started for us by carefully removing the motherboard. It's wrapped in a nice fluffy tea towel for safety.

And lost a bunch of screws in the process

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

this isn't true. at. all.

If people don't want to think that the AV market has evolved over the last 5-8 years, then that's on them. I'm not worried about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

If people don't want to think that the AV market has evolved over the last 5-8 years, then that's on them. I'm not worried about it.

I like Sophos for enterprise. Its one of the few pieces of software we have going that doesn't seem to be infuriating.

All symantec products seem to have de-evolved however and should be avoided at all costs, av or not.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I like Sophos for enterprise. Its one of the few pieces of software we have going that doesn't seem to be infuriating.

All symantec products seem to have de-evolved however and should be avoided at all costs, av or not.

Webroot and Vipre are also pretty effective, light weight and cost effective.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I've had good experiences with Sophos and ESET. Kaspersky seems to do well, but I don't know if they even offer any business products.

Pretty much any Symantec/Norton and McAfee product is just terrible though.

Which is kind of my point. The AV market has changed considerably other the last 5-8 years, Symantec's and McAfee's product share has been continually eaten away by solid companies with solid products.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really wish people would stop using Norton and Mcafee as the baseline for AV software. Every time I hear "AV is crap" its because the person has used one of those two and hasn't looked around enough for the decent ones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

I've had good experiences with Sophos and ESET. Kaspersky seems to do well, but I don't know if they even offer any business products.

Pretty much any Symantec/Norton and McAfee product is just terrible though.

Which is kind of my point. The AV market has changed considerably other the last 5-8 years, Symantec's and McAfee's product share has been continually eaten away by solid companies with solid products.

symantec, I just can't get away from it! Our client that uses it is supposedly trying to get away from it... except they just renewed the near 6000 licenses they have for another year! Pretty sure I'll have PTSD from dealing with it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Langolas posted:

And lost a bunch of screws in the process

Screws we can replace, I'm more worried about static. Like the guy that brought us a processor to show us to ask if it would be compatible with his machine. Loose in his pocket, jangling around with his keys. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Update: Got laid off! :yotj:

• Locked thread