Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

This is the first android device that I've owned that I've quite purposefully avoided loving with. :smithicide:
Android is the thing you avoid loving with until it fucks with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (dual sim) any good?

My girlfriend has a certain amount of credit on Groupon to be used for SOMETHING; otherwise it will expire. She can't find anything on it that she wants/needs, but they are selling a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual Sim (link at bottom of post), model # I9192, for pretty much the exact price for the credit she has. I currently have a lovely 4 year old Samsung Google Nexus S or whatever it is called - model i9023. I won't otherwise have the money to replace it for a good long while.

I'm looking to use the phone for a mix of lifestyle and business - You Need A Budget, Anki flashcards, timetracking for freelancing and general organisational stuff. I don't want a huge or fancy phone but I'd like it to be competent and reliable. Is this phone an unmitigated disaster? Is it going to run like crap and fall apart? Otherwise we'll use the money on a mix of restaurants and other random junk. Are there particular problems with the dual sim version? I can't find anything bad in google except that the dual sim is standby mode, not active, but since I'd only be using one sim anyway it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. I know it doesn't have 4g like the i1915, but my girlfriend already has that phone and says she never gets 4g where we live anyway.

Here's the link:

http://www.groupon.it/deals/deal-nazionale/gg-td-store-1/54485947

Are there any reasons not to get this particular, given that otherwise I'd need to pay out of pocket? I don't need a response immediately, we need to wait for the credit to clear, but that's what we're looking at. Thanks.

The S4 Mini is hardly cutting edge, but it's a definite improvement over the Nexus S and for essentially $0 it's hard to recommend against. It's running 4.4 and unlikely to get 5.0, but you're not really missing out on much unless you're a huge phone nerd.
If you don't care about the latest and greatest it should fit your purpose just fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splinter posted:

upgrade worries
Get the 2013 X.

Who cares if you decide to upgrade sooner when the device is only 200?

I moved to the X from a GNex. It's a massive upgrade.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I love my Turbo but yeah I have the same left hand problem sometimes. It is a bit too big and looking back on it my S3 is way more comfortable to use, though the new Lollipop app UI takes up too much screen real estate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The S4 Mini is hardly cutting edge, but it's a definite improvement over the Nexus S and for essentially $0 it's hard to recommend against. It's running 4.4 and unlikely to get 5.0, but you're not really missing out on much unless you're a huge phone nerd.
If you don't care about the latest and greatest it should fit your purpose just fine.
There's still no way I could see going with the S4 Mini even for $0 when the Moto G exists.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It's okay guys - I checked the website today and groupon is now offering another phone as well. You're speaking to the proud owner of a brand new Nokia Lumia 635!

kidding

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I put car wax on my screen, it's doing an okay job keeping the fingerprints off so far. Haven't tried RainX yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I need to do this with the Aquapel with whatever's left after the car :getin:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd rather have a Lumia 635 than a Galaxy S4 Mini. At least the Lumia comes in bright orange.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

I'm the ROM who stocks.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Alright, so I bought a Note 4 two days ago and it is nice so far except the bloatware etc. I could live with that though IF it got the awesome battery life I thought it was supposed to get.

Is this what everyone else gets? 29% Android System usage, and having the battery drained by the end of the day to 0% with moderate screen usage? Is the processor super power hungry or something? Even exchange is draining quite a bit I guess. I thought people were talking about getting 1.5 days of battery life with the Note 4. I feel like I should do at test and just let the phone sit idle for 8 hours and see how much it uses from full charge. I'm estimating like 5% an hour.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 29, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did you just add a large Exchange account or something? That is an awful lot of battery used by Exchange services.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Give it a week or so. Your phone is doing all sorts of battery taxing background stuff in the first couple of days. I almost sent back my Nexus 6 because the battery didn't get through half a day at first. Now it's chugging along just fine.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you just add a large Exchange account or something? That is an awful lot of battery used by Exchange services.

The account itself has a ton of email, but it is only be syncing 2 weeks worth of email. One of my folders gets a ton of email but I hadn't opened it yet, so it hasn't even synced it.

I'll give it a little time. I'm trying to figure out if I should do a system wipe and just do some "bare bones" battery tests where I don't have my email synced, and try to reduce the number of variables so I can figure out if I need to exchange it or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

I'm the ROM who stocks.

Please tell me they're just going to make a basic flip phone and stay out of the Android community

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

http://www.amazon.com/cell-phones-service-plans-accessories/b/ref=nav_shopall_wi?ie=UTF8&node=2335752011

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

enojy posted:

evleaks leaked a promotional photo of the HTC One M9 (far right.)

Front runner for replacing my now off contract M7. Should be interesting to see what the S6 looks like after the S5 was an underperformer. (all metal?)

In a month we'll know what the Z4, G4, S6 and M9 all look like.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The Sayguys V2 is suppose to go on preorder today. Pretty interested. 550 for the preorder price.

Though I'm going to wait for the reviews on it first...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Qualcomm basically confirmed that the S6 is going to be Exynos only yesterday when they cut their financial outlook citing that a "major" smartphone flagship will no longer be using the 810.

Seems Samsung is going to double down on stupid.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm gonna go with the 2013 X. Can someone confirm that this (XT1060) is the model I want for Verizon compatibility? I'm a bit confused as it says it's for Verizon and GSM, but won't work on Sprint and other CDMA networks. I thought Verizon used CDMA...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Splinter posted:

I'm gonna go with the 2013 X. Can someone confirm that this (XT1060) is the model I want for Verizon compatibility? I'm a bit confused as it says it's for Verizon and GSM, but won't work on Sprint and other CDMA networks. I thought Verizon used CDMA...

Yes that's the right model for Verizon.

Sprint will not activate Verizon CDMA devices and vice versa.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vagrancy posted:

I'm the ROM who stocks.

What's this?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
My lg one m8 has just told me it wants me to install lollipop. Is it a good idea to update now or is there some reason I should wait ?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

What's this?

It looks to me like OnePlus is referencing Breaking Bad (for unknown reasons) to say things aren't going so well with Cyanogen and in the future they're going to build their own rom, presumably based on AOSP and without Cyanogen's added features.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Isn't OPO literally the guys who were developing Cyanogenmod in the first place?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No. Cyanogen Inc. is a software company developing Cyanogenmod. OnePlus is a hardware company with some kind of link to OPPO, and which inked a deal to use Cyanogenmod as the software on the OnePlus One.

In other news: new rumors again claiming Samsung has plans to address the complaints about TouchWiz.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

My lg one m8 has just told me it wants me to install lollipop. Is it a good idea to update now or is there some reason I should wait ?

You should probably hold off since your phone is confused about it's manufacturer. Give it time to decide on its own how it identifies itself before making any drastic updates.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rastor posted:

No. Cyanogen Inc. is a software company developing Cyanogenmod. OnePlus is a hardware company with some kind of link to OPPO, and which inked a deal to use Cyanogenmod as the software on the OnePlus One.

In other news: new rumors again claiming Samsung has plans to address the complaints about TouchWiz.

I'm curious about touchwiz haters (I don't like it but I can stand something like the note 4 version, rooted and with less bloat :v:) if Samsung finally decides to go closer to AOSP.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious about touchwiz haters (I don't like it but I can stand something like the note 4 version, rooted and with less bloat :v:) if Samsung finally decides to go closer to AOSP.

I'm more interested in what 5 is going to look like on the Xperia phones.

I know the general opinion around here is the current Sony skin is lightweight and unobtrusive but drat is it ugly.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Splinter posted:

It's finally time to replace my Galaxy Nexus that I've been using as my primary phone since it was first released on Verizon. Hooray! :toot:

I've been considering these options:
  • Moto X 2013 (~$230, save upgrade)
  • Moto X 2014 ($0, with upgrade)
  • Droid Turbo ($200 or $250, with upgrade)

I was in this boat, looking for a phone that was basically a better GNex. I went with a 2013 Dev Moto X since it was the best option where I could easily get root, and it turned out to be perfect. Honestly if you're coming from a GNex, pretty much everything is going to be better in every way.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You should probably hold off since your phone is confused about it's manufacturer. Give it time to decide on its own how it identifies itself before making any drastic updates.

Haha I didn't even notice, it is of course an HTC. My previous phone was lg hence the mistake.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

We try to be inclusive of trans-brand phones in this community :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guillermus posted:

What do you mean you're curious?

I mean, if they hate TW, and TW goes away, then....what are you saying again?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, this is a thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/microsoft-to-invest-in-cyanogen-hopes-to-take-android-away-from-google/

Hot on the heals of Cyanogen's comments about wanting to take Android away from google, Microsoft is going to pump $70mil of cash into them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

What do you mean you're curious?

I mean, if they hate TW, and TW goes away, then....what are you saying again?

I mean, Touchwiz haters hate it because all the bloat and menu changes, if Samsung removes that and goes AOSP, will they keep hating samsung because it's samsung? Was just wondering, sorry if typing TW and samsung is offensive ;)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Well, this is a thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/microsoft-to-invest-in-cyanogen-hopes-to-take-android-away-from-google/

Hot on the heals of Cyanogen's comments about wanting to take Android away from google, Microsoft is going to pump $70mil of cash into them.

Someone should update the wikipedia page for "Throwing good money after bad" with this link.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If that means making a Lumia with Android on it, count me in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

If that means making a Lumia with Android on it, count me in.

Even if it did, it would mean a forked version of android cutoff from google services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bull3964 posted:

Qualcomm basically confirmed that the S6 is going to be Exynos only yesterday when they cut their financial outlook citing that a "major" smartphone flagship will no longer be using the 810.

Seems Samsung is going to double down on stupid.

I haven't been following mobile tech much in the past year, but that article keyed me into the rumor that the Snapdragon 810 is prone to overheating, and that it might ship underclocked as a band-aid fix. Is this old/debunked news or what? I was getting hyped up about the HTC One M9 in about a month, but that'll almost certainly feature a Snapdragon 810, and I don't want no problems with my drat flagship telephone. Besides, aluminum body phones get hot enough as is.