Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

Standard Talisman 'death' conditions require you to start again with a completely new character, whereas this just says 'You lose the game'.

As I recall, getting to the Crown of Command gives the player a chance (50%) to cause 1 damage to another player of their choosing each turn, and removes the ability for dead players to restart as new characters. Even after getting to the Crown, the game still has roughly half an hour to go as you zap your opponents down turn by turn and hope there isn't a healer nearby.

So if you want the game to be 'over', at least for you, drawing this card can actually be an improvement over continuing to play because it says that you lose instead of just dying and starting over.

Though some may want to houserule it (hah!) that you do get to keep playing as a new character.

It's not a 50% chance. You order a player to admit defeat (be eliminated) or lose a life, the idea being that if someone is close behind you they can hold on long enough to catch up and fight you for the win but anyone who is way behind can just give up without forcing you to struggle through it. The end game of Talisman only drags out when multiple people are too stupid or stubborn to realise they can't reach the Crown of Command before dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When Caverna is brought up most places I read about games (here, reddit, bgg, susd, etc), it seems to be met with a lot of arguments about how Agricola is superior due to tension, such that Caverna isn't worth playing over it or perhaps even owning if you have the O.G. farmer game. However, it has insane ratings just about everywhere, including our own BGG guild. It has a higher rating on our guild, reddit, and BGG (but very slightly lower rank due to their Bayesian algorithm). It's curious. There seems to be a quiet majority that loves the hell out of Caverna.

That's because Rutibex can only vote once

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So is this Orleans kick-starter worth getting in on? It expires later today. I can't find much about it online other than a little bit on it in this thread and the notoriously unreliable BGG reviews.

If the game is good that's gret, but I already have Castles of Burgundy, the Gric and Caverna so I may not need any more light to medium weight Euros unless the game does something special..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Impermanent posted:

So is this Orleans kick-starter worth getting in on? It expires later today. I can't find much about it online other than a little bit on it in this thread and the notoriously unreliable BGG reviews.

If the game is good that's gret, but I already have Castles of Burgundy, the Gric and Caverna so I may not need any more light to medium weight Euros unless the game does something special..

It's worth getting in on. There's enough variance in setup and game progression to prevent it being mechanically solved, but enough predictability post-setup to reward flexible strategy. I've run it past a dozen different people in my regular group and they all thought it was great.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's worth getting in on. There's enough variance in setup and game progression to prevent it being mechanically solved, but enough predictability post-setup to reward flexible strategy. I've run it past a dozen different people in my regular group and they all thought it was great.

Have you tried it with only two players? And if so, would you still recommend it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Han Yolo posted:

Have you tried it with only two players? And if so, would you still recommend it?

I have played with three and four and it works equally well with both, but I haven't tried it with two. The only differences I can see with a two-player game are that the census is more likely to trigger and there is less conflict over Trading Posts. Everything else scales; there are fewer goods in the stock and on the map, fewer of each worker to buy. Rahdo has done a runthrough of it, though, and he's the best person to watch if you want to know about low conflict two player games.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When Caverna is brought up most places I read about games (here, reddit, bgg, susd, etc), it seems to be met with a lot of arguments about how Agricola is superior due to tension, such that Caverna isn't worth playing over it or perhaps even owning if you have the O.G. farmer game. However, it has insane ratings just about everywhere, including our own BGG guild. It has a higher rating on our guild, reddit, and BGG (but very slightly lower rank due to their Bayesian algorithm). It's curious. There seems to be a quiet majority that loves the hell out of Caverna.

I've posted about Caverna being less tense than the Gric before, but it was more in a "there's room in your collection for both" sense than a "therefore you should skip it". Both are very good games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've played a bunch of Alien Frontiers (iPad version). I think the dice-as-ships and how they are used is nicely done. I had a lot of trouble remembering what all the different stuff and fields and artifacts and abilities did, I had to keep referring back to the rules constantly for my first few games before it finally clicked (due to repetition more than anything).

It's nice to play against the AIs because you don't have to wait long for them to think about their turn. As mentioned, you roll first and then decide what to do which can be a bit of a drag because planning your turn can only be done at the highest level of "what should I try to go for if I can?" But on the iPad against some computers you can be the bus stop all you want and no one minds :haw:

I can't shake the overall feeling that the game's sort of on the dull side though. I've enjoyed playing and learning the ropes and testing my mettle against other players, but it's not particularly exciting. Maybe that's just me. Worker placement games don't tend to really engage me, though I can appreciate the mechanic. And I do kind of dig the 70's sci-fi thing it has going.

It's sort of at a sweet spot on the iPad for me because you don't need to worry about setup or anything, and learning the game is easier thanks to the contextual stuff and the ability to just touch an e.g. artifact to get a summary. In person I'd have to be asking to see cards all the time and poo poo, along with the dice-roll-at-turn-start, I think in person it would be just too hard to keep momentum going enough for me.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Impermanent posted:

As someone without many Euros...man this looks good. I may have to be a last second backer.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've played Epic Spell Wars a bunch. It's a light game that can go on a long time if you let it. Like said before, really just quit once you're all bored, don't force yourself to play until someone 'wins'.

It's lighthearted fun with zany voices. If your group is serious and takes forever to choose their cards, it can be boring. Play it for wacky spell names, effects and voices, not for a heavy tactical strategic experience.

Just played it again last night with my nephews, 12, 15 and 17. They all loved it, though after three rounds we moved on to other things.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Han Yolo posted:

It is one of Rahdo's favourites and since he only plays two players, you can safely assume it scales great to two. Here is a link to his review about it.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 29, 2015

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I checked out Super Dungeon Explore at PAX and it seems like fun. In addition there is a preorder up for the 2nd version for like ~80 bux. What's the consensus for it versus something similar like Descent?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I played Murano last night. It's got an interesting worker placement mechanic - you move any 1 of 7 boats along a directional track and take the action you move onto, but you can't pass or share the space of another boat. you can, however, pay $$ to move other boats forward (and off the space you want). It starts off pretty light, but there's a serious amount of paranoia due to the hidden objective character cards you get - these must be assigned to gondoliers which you place on specific islands (areas of the board), and score endgame VP based on that island, only for you. Because there's a limited number of gondolier spaces for each island, figuring out what people are trying to setup on an island and how it might interfere / benefit your own cards can get pretty tricky. Overall, I enjoyed the game, and would recommend it if you like Euros. The character cards interact indirectly in really cool ways (one might give you points for having the only shop on an island, another might say you score points for each shop of a certain color), and the worker mechanic is interesting enough that it keeps money tight and rewards proper timing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bobvonunheil posted:

I had a great time with Sheriff of Nottingham generally being a sneaky bastard and offering money to the Sheriff to open my bag, goading him into opening clean bags or outright admitting there was contraband in my bag and that the Sheriff was allowed to have one of the cards if he let me through, and so on.

It really does feel like it needs less of a penalty on the Sheriff for inspecting clean bags though, especially when they get big. In a hypothetical situation where 4 players put out bags of 4 goods, 2 of which are clean and 2 of which contain a single contraband (but are otherwise clean), the Sheriff will lose out on inspecting all bags while even the smuggling players who are caught will come out ahead. I think in that sort of situation the Sheriff should break even or come out ahead, otherwise the main 'game' of negotiating with the sheriff over a bag of unknown (to him) stuff just doesn't happen

My proposed fix: The sheriff can only be penalised for a maximum of 5 coins per player.

Maybe, but I don't think an artificial limit like that is gunna help much, and it would be sort of tacky. I've considered taking a significant % portion of the Legal Goods to make it a bit harder to actually get 4/5 of a kind, there's plenty of cards as it is. I may try that next time. Sadly I think the problem is too deeply rooted to really do much about it :(

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 29, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I wonder if having a Black Market King/Queen would make contraband more viable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got my first Broken Token organizer in the mail. God its nice having all my 7 Wonders stuff in a single box, and well organized to boot! I was able to cram all the non-Babel stuff in the base box origially...but the corners of my sleeves were bending from being forced into the tray slots.

If anyone else is getting any Broken Token stuff for the first time, make sure you have a rubber mallet or something similar. I can't imagine trying to force all the pieces together without it. They're quite snug.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Super 3 posted:

I checked out Super Dungeon Explore at PAX and it seems like fun. In addition there is a preorder up for the 2nd version for like ~80 bux. What's the consensus for it versus something similar like Descent?

That's kind of a funny question. The Forgotten King standalone expansion and the second edition rules. is supposed to be fixing a lot of the rules problems in the initial printing. As it stands, the heroes have a massive uphill to climb in order to win against the Consul. This isn't in itself bad: the idea is that as you gain more loot, things start snowballing in your favor. Unfortunately, there's not enough time for that to happen, and so a Hero victory requires pretty optimal play while the Consul doesn't really have to work too hard.

I should note something here: when I say optimal, I mean optimal. I've played Hero against my friend playing Consul several times, and I haven't won a single one, even backed up by looking up strategies on BGG and such. So, obviously, this even includes not having to deal with a few different people working together.

Additionally, the combat involves a lot of dice rolling. On both attack and defense, no less. To boot, the main method of healing involves dice rolling, too. And when you score loot and treasure, you're drawing from a random deck. Now, the latter two here are team-wide--if your full HP guy scores a heart anyone can grab it, and you're not screwed by having the mage draw a cool STR based treasure, since it can go to anyone--but it's still random. Oh, and when the consul gets his "level ups", they might get a piece of loot that gets +1 Armor die with Burn or Choke (significantly improving his minion's survivability and granting them a powerful status on his) or they might get +2 Dex with Immune: Stun (very few minions use Dex and Stun is barely used by the Heroes, and certainly not on one to two HP targets). The worst part of all this is the loot and skull tracks. The players gain loot every three points of damage dealt by them, tracked one point at a time, and this track resets each round. The Consul gains progression towards boss spawning (and their bonus skull tokens) every point of damage dealt, and this track does not reset. See the problem? The heroes can do five points of damage, and those last two will be worse than wasted because they advanced the game closer to the boss spawn but didn't get any loot for their trouble. Since hitting and missing is random, a few strings of this and you're not coming back.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a lot of random in the game.

The upsides: It's a pretty game. If you like hyper-colorful chibi styled Korean MMOs, you'll like the art style of SDE a lot. If you absolutely hate that, then go elsewhere, obviously. There's a bunch of different heroes, and they all do play differently. This is the big point, I feel. A game with the Ranger, the Sorceress, and the Paladin plays loads different from a game with the Rogue, the Barbarian, and the Druid, so there's a lot of replayability if you can get past the rules and randomness. The rules themselves are actually quite straightforward and easy to pick up, although the rulebook itself is kind of FFG bad. Finally, the actual models are quite good, so if you're the type who considers assembling and painting models to be an upside you'll be in heaven.

I'd say wait for the Forgotten King standalone. It won't change the core randomness but it does tilt a bunch in the Hero side's favor (Consul no longer draws loot, Heroes now get loot more often and predictably and aren't screwed over by the loot/skull track issue I meantioned above, spawning is no longer an endless snowball of pain, etc.) and the rules are all around cleaned up to be more clear and more fair. If trying SDE before didn't turn you off of it, then just grab Forgotten King. It should be out something this year, I hope.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Super 3 posted:

The third time I played the game I left at about the 3 and a half hour mark and I will never play it again. Play Descent, Imperial Assault, the D&D board games, or Level 7: Omega Protocol instead.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Thanks for the replies the game rep said they fixed a lot with version 2 but not having bought or played the first one I wasn't familiar or the impact.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I was at my FLGS yesterday and my wife was looking at a copy of The Doom That Came To Atlantic City and wanted me to buy it mainly because it's a big box with a bunch of minis (and Cthulhu!!) but it's just a reskinned Monopoly, really, isn't it?

Having looked at a few reviews for it I don't understand why it was such a Kickstarter success. Has anyone played it and is it as terrible as it looks? Are there any Cthulhu-related games that aren't atrocious that I could suggest as an alternative so I don't end up having to play tentacle-monopoly every games night?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

I wonder if having a Black Market King/Queen would make contraband more viable.

A lot of the promo contraband are pretty powerful and are worth sneaking through. So I guess, spend money to get the promo contraband.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cyberia posted:

I was at my FLGS yesterday and my wife was looking at a copy of The Doom That Came To Atlantic City and wanted me to buy it mainly because it's a big box with a bunch of minis (and Cthulhu!!) but it's just a reskinned Monopoly, really, isn't it?

Having looked at a few reviews for it I don't understand why it was such a Kickstarter success. Has anyone played it and is it as terrible as it looks? Are there any Cthulhu-related games that aren't atrocious that I could suggest as an alternative so I don't end up having to play tentacle-monopoly every games night?

Eldritch Horror seems alright. It's better than Arkham Horror, at least.

Joke Answer: Cthulhu Dice

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Got my first Broken Token organizer in the mail. God its nice having all my 7 Wonders stuff in a single box, and well organized to boot! I was able to cram all the non-Babel stuff in the base box origially...but the corners of my sleeves were bending from being forced into the tray slots.

If anyone else is getting any Broken Token stuff for the first time, make sure you have a rubber mallet or something similar. I can't imagine trying to force all the pieces together without it. They're quite snug.

Yeah, Broken Token organizers are loving amazing. I have one for Dominion, 7 Wonders, Suburbia, and Lord of the Rings LCG. A rubber mallet is critical and wood glue is handy but not essential if you want it to not budge or creak as much when you move the box around.

I also got some of these silicone thong things for my games for when i want to lug one around: http://www.amazon.com/Wrapping-Exercise-MacBooks-Replacements-Silicone/dp/B00H1ERHDQ/ref=pd_sim_op_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09VHM03PV1DBR28HYH3F

Also, you don't have to be a foamcore wizard to just make square sheets to put on top of an insert in the box if you want to keep crap from tumbling out when you flip it vertical. A simple cross can be made to keep baggies from flying end to end if you put a game vertical in a backpack or something.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, Broken Token organizers are loving amazing. I have one for Dominion, 7 Wonders, Suburbia, and Lord of the Rings LCG. A rubber mallet is critical and wood glue is handy but not essential if you want it to not budge or creak as much when you move the box around.

I also got some of these silicone thong things for my games for when i want to lug one around: http://www.amazon.com/Wrapping-Exercise-MacBooks-Replacements-Silicone/dp/B00H1ERHDQ/ref=pd_sim_op_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09VHM03PV1DBR28HYH3F

Also, you don't have to be a foamcore wizard to just make square sheets to put on top of an insert in the box if you want to keep crap from tumbling out when you flip it vertical. A simple cross can be made to keep baggies from flying end to end if you put a game vertical in a backpack or something.

Save your cardboard punch sheets and put them under the insert. Bam, snug as a bug.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Joke Answer: Cthulhu Dice

Honestly that might be the best answer, there aren't any good Cthulhu games so it might be best to get the one that plays the quickest so everyone can get it out of their systems early.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

cyberia posted:

It's like reverse Monopoly in that you're tearing down buildings and trying to open gates to your elder gold's realm to destroy the city instead of building it up. The nice thing vs actual Monopoly is that there's a variety of variable player powers, alternate win conditions and other elements that make it more than just roll-and-move, and make sure that a game ends at a very reasonable pace.
That said it's not particularly engaging mechanically still even with the other bells and whistles added on. It's strongest selling points really are the nice quality miniatures, the rest of the art, and assuming you're a fan of the theme, Cthulu humor and concepts.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When Caverna is brought up most places I read about games (here, reddit, bgg, susd, etc), it seems to be met with a lot of arguments about how Agricola is superior due to tension, such that Caverna isn't worth playing over it or perhaps even owning if you have the O.G. farmer game.

As Poopy Palpy said they're both very good games and have enough differences that you can have both.

Agricola is stressful, you're always wobbling on the starvation line, and because it uses the cards every game is different. It's really about making do with what you have and trying to be as efficient with your actions as possible.

Caverna to me wasn't stressful, but still offers a lot of variety. The cards are just replaced with so many things to do or build there's no way you can do them all in just a few games. You can have whatever you want, but the key is finding that past of least resistance and most points through the myriad of options.

I slightly perfer Agricola, but I wouldn't turn down a game of Caverna if invited to one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

cyberia posted:

No, it's not reskinned Monopoly. They used parodied visual design elements of Monopoly as part of the humor of the game, but it really doesn't share much in the way of gameplay. There are a lot of asymmetric elements that you build up through play in the form of character powers, secret goals, gate powers gained through opening gates in various regions of the board (and you can also teleport to other gates of the same type - i.e. owned by the same player or neutral - as part of your movement, if you start on one), Chants cards, and (if you use the bundled Shadow over Boardwalk expansion content) Tomes. There's combat. There's no real money - the closest thing to it are cultists, but they don't really serve the same gameplay role. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of rolling dice, because you roll to move, roll to see if you manage to destroy buildings where you land, roll off against the other player for combat, etc. Powers, Chants cards and so on can give you bonuses or other forms of control, but it still ends up being significantly random.

So, no, it's not Monopoly, and I've had far more fun with it than I ever did with Monopoly, but I probably wouldn't recommend it without significant caveats either.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Goon with Cthulhu Wars, you out there? I'm skeptical because [kickstarter, miniatures, cthulhu] but interested because [chaos in the old world]

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have it but haven't played it yet, it's waiting. It knows to wait :mad:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
What is the goonsensus on Abyss? From what I have read, it has been criticized for a lack of real strategic choices on your turn, so that some options are obviously better than others. I am also afraid it will feel too repetitive too quick. On the other hand, our group loves short to medium lenght games that strike the balance between light enough for chit-chatting but not meaningless in terms of player choice (e.g. Libertalia, Condottiere, 7 Wonders or the trick-taking game Wizard). Therefore, it could be engaging enough for our gaming habits.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

As Poopy Palpy said they're both very good games and have enough differences that you can have both.

Agricola is stressful, you're always wobbling on the starvation line, and because it uses the cards every game is different. It's really about making do with what you have and trying to be as efficient with your actions as possible.

Caverna to me wasn't stressful, but still offers a lot of variety. The cards are just replaced with so many things to do or build there's no way you can do them all in just a few games. You can have whatever you want, but the key is finding that past of least resistance and most points through the myriad of options.

I slightly perfer Agricola, but I wouldn't turn down a game of Caverna if invited to one.

Honestly I think the "stress" is good for new players. It focuses your strategy in a game that would otherwise be incredibly open and nebulous. There are only a few paths through any Agricola game that will get you a 5 person stone house with no begger cards. Agricola gives you feedback as the game goes on. After a bit of experience with the game you aren't going to ever take a begging card; the purpose of the cards is to act as a bludgeon to narrow the options and make the game more understandable. Sure you can build a Joinery in the first week, or a Well, or do a million other things but if you do you will not have enough actions to feed your family and it will not be worth the points. It allows you to easily discard a lot of potential actions and laser focus on one build order.

There are so many options in Caverna and almost all of them will end up giving you a fully fed family. That means you have to consider exponentially more game paths. It's actually a heck of a lot more complex to suss out a good strategy with so many divergent paths. You might come up with a really terrible strategy but you will have no idea it is terrible until the game is over. Agricola tells you your strategy is bad in 4 turns minimum, easily enough to work out in your head. Caverna only gives you feedback on the progress of your strategy a single time, when the scores are calculated.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

These Loving Eyes posted:

What is the goonsensus on Abyss? From what I have read, it has been criticized for a lack of real strategic choices on your turn, so that some options are obviously better than others. I am also afraid it will feel too repetitive too quick. On the other hand, our group loves short to medium lenght games that strike the balance between light enough for chit-chatting but not meaningless in terms of player choice (e.g. Libertalia, Condottiere, 7 Wonders or the trick-taking game Wizard). Therefore, it could be engaging enough for our gaming habits.

I've heard it's very pretty. Also everything you said, but not much more

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 29, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Goon with Cthulhu Wars, you out there? I'm skeptical because [kickstarter, miniatures, cthulhu] but interested because [chaos in the old world]

I own it, haven't played it, but I'm reasonably certain it's fully in the "luxury game" zone. Like I think the base set is $200 alone (MSRP) with no option for a cheaper version with tokens and stuff (which I would have hopped on immediately). Chaos is a great game to model after, and even though the minis look good and are really sizeable and all that, I'm still feeling some buyer's remorse. That said, any review would likely be severely biased since I'd be trying my hardest to justify a $200 game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mine is in the post. BGG have a number of completed PBF games if you want to know how it runs. You can at the moment get it at a knockdown price if you pledge to the Theomachy Kickstarter - the deal essentially amounts to "Buy Cthulhu Wars, get both Theomachy boxes free".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
People here even heard of a type of card game called Seven Families or Happy Families? You have to complete the most series of seven cards to win (there are seven series of seven cards).

I really like those as a kid.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So I've had a chance to get in a couple games of Scoville since I picked it up earlier this week and have really enjoyed it, and figure I'd do a run down of the game.

Each player plays a pepper farmer in the town of Scoville, with the objective of having the most points by means of selling batches of peppers at the farmer's market, completing chili recipes with the peppers you harvest, and planting rare and exotic peppers in the field. The components are seriously top notch, especially since this was a Kickstarter game. Dozens of different colored wooden peppers for planting and using, and even some clear acrylic ones (the valuable Phantom Pepper) make up the majority of what you'll be playing with, but also includes wooden farmer pawns, and various cardboard bits that are thick and sturdy. Image here for component examples.

The game starts with a couple randomly selected peppers in the center of the field. Turn order is randomly established (after which it is bid for every round with money earned from selling batches), followed by players picking up 1 or 2 new peppers, in turn order, for their supply at the local auction (randomly dealt cards with different colors and quantities of peppers). Next each player plants one pepper adjacent to another pepper in the field, also in turn order. Once everyone has planted their pepper, the real interesting mechanic of the game occurs in Harvesting. In reverse turn order players move their farmer through the field and each time they step between two adjacent peppers, they crossbreed them into a different color of pepper for their supply (or in the case of breeding two of the same color together, netting 2x of that color). Image here of the crossbreeding chart. Players aren't allowed to move through other farmers and can move from 1 to 3 spaces only, so there's a lot of strategy in deciding if you want to move to a certain plot to block another players from harvesting a certain color of pepper, or going your own way instead. After all players have harvested, there's a Fulfillment phase where players (returning to standard turn order) can 1. sell batches of peppers, 2. complete recipes, and 3. fill requests at the Market, all using the peppers you have harvested.

Because the three main phases of the game are done in forward-backward-forward order, there's some interesting dynamics present when players bid for turn order at the beginning of each round; do you want to plant first to get certain bonus points, or do you want to be able to harvest first to beat other players to a particular plot that's available? Or do you want to be able to cash out peppers first during fulfillment and beat others to the race of completing a valuable chili recipe?

The two games I've played thus far were 4-player and 2-player. The 4 player game was really interesting and we were all fairly engaged still at the end, as everyone has screens with which to hide your scoring/money/peppers behind, so it's tough to keep up with who may or may not be winning. In the end it was very close with two players tying for most points, and the others not far behind. The field of planted peppers was all over the place with different colors and options, almost to a fault if you are playing with AP prone people. The early turns move real fast when there's not many plots to harvest from, but it quickly gets much more complex as the game progresses. The same was true in the 2-player game I played, where we initially thought it was going to be a fairly shallow experience but a little ways in it got a lot more strategic and we were really thinking through our turns and what the best way to cut off the other player's supply was. That said it's not so complex that it will turn away casual gamers either. I'd put it somewhere in the middle, as a light-to-mid-weight strategy game that I think a wide breadth of personalities will be able to enjoy. The game supports up to 6 players which is really nice for slightly larger groups as well, and I'm looking forward to trying it with a full crowd.

tl;dr: Light-to-mid weight strategy game with a fun theme, and awesome components. Early turns can be a little brainless, but it gets more and more complex as the game progresses. Definitely recommend!

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

So, after waiting 2 weeks (Arkansas to Tulsa, OK... in 2 weeks? gently caress off.) for Wal-Mart to deliver my copy of the $15 Dominion to my local store, they lose it. I got my money back, but come on, it was only 100 miles. I'd be more angry, but I went out and bought Mage Knight, instead, so, pfft cheap Dominion.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Mine is in the post. BGG have a number of completed PBF games if you want to know how it runs. You can at the moment get it at a knockdown price if you pledge to the Theomachy Kickstarter - the deal essentially amounts to "Buy Cthulhu Wars, get both Theomachy boxes free".

Weren't there a whole bunch of Kickstarter extras/exclusives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

malkav11 posted:

Weren't there a whole bunch of Kickstarter extras/exclusives?

The (as of yet unshipped) Kickstarter extras are the lesser Great Old Ones. They basically function as neutral factions that can be added to your base faction. They're sold as 3 packs, but forget how much each one is. Pricy. It's actually a pretty solid extra, honestly.

There are also a bunch of neutral minis if you wanted to paint or otherwise display them. Also unshipped.