Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Shbobdb posted:

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not.

Source please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not.

[citation needed]

E: ^^ :argh:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

YarPirate posted:

Is it even possible to quantify the deterrent effect, seeing as how it's not like we can go around polling people who 'would have committed a crime if it weren't for those meddling police'?

General deterrence is always difficult if not impossible to measure, but as most violent offenders are not first time offenders, there's a specific deterrence argument as it relates to that particular offender (ie if you are incarcerated it's harder to offend)

UberJew posted:

'I'm sorry if you were offended' is not an actual apology, doubly so when it's 'I'm sorry if you felt threatened when I threatened you'. Doing so given the current climate, particularly towards women, on the internet is pretty ridiculous.

I think so.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

YarPirate posted:

Is it even possible to quantify the deterrent effect, seeing as how it's not like we can go around polling people who 'would have committed a crime if it weren't for those meddling police'?
It is measurable but kind of squidgy. If I recall correctly the most significant deterrent effect comes from certainty of arrest, with severity of punishment being a pretty minor consideration.

I might still have journal access if anyone wants me to dig up specific papers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

welcome posted:

Source please.

He knows everyone who isn't a cop and doesn't know any cops, gotcha sucker :smug:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bassguitarhero posted:

Glad to see the authoritarians have fully turned this thread into a giant piece of poo poo like always

Ah yes.

People who do not have the same "gently caress the police, all cops are bad" mentality that I do are making GBS threads up the thread.

It couldn't possibly be people unwilling to actually think and consider actual, realistic reform. Discuss ways to appropriately achieve reform. Or simply have reasonable meaningful discourse on what constitutes true abuse of authority. Nope. Its certainly not them, and the brilliant ones who are saying disband the police, asking why they are needed, saying poo poo like:

Shbobdb posted:

That's a lot of theory and not much practice.

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not. Hell, rape trauma centers train their workers to protect survivors from cops! So, even in situations where the cop is ostensibly innocent, they are still more likely a source of harm than help.

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

Nope. Certainly isn't them....

Or Sedan Chair..

Its "the authoritarians" :argh:

Tell me about scoring the gig of ghost writing the new Rage Against the Machine album.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

It's not like it'll change what you do or how you behave either way, will it? :)

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 29, 2015

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not like it'll change what you do or how you behave either way, will it? :)

When those in favour of police reform push for civilian review boards or body cameras the police will complain that it is onerous and pointless because they are inherently good guys and need nothing to cause them to behave morally. Indeed some police will event state the law gets in the way of doing good.

However if a citizen asks why the police are necessary the police state that without laws and police forcing citizens to behave everyone would immediately start acting immorally and harm their fellow citizens.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is measurable but kind of squidgy. If I recall correctly the most significant deterrent effect comes from certainty of arrest, with severity of punishment being a pretty minor consideration.

I might still have journal access if anyone wants me to dig up specific papers.

As a follow up to this post, a good reading list can be found here: John Jay College of Criminal Justice. A lot of the papers are linked directly, so journal access isn't necessary.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Police are vital to any modern society, and our current police institutions are probably the best, fairest, most transparent versions that have ever existed in this nation. That is in no way contradictory to stating that the police as an institution absolutely need reform to address the racism, sexism, cronyism, and a whole host of other issues that are still undeniably part of the system.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

captainblastum posted:

Police are vital to any modern society, and our current police institutions are probably the best, fairest, most transparent versions that have ever existed in this nation. That is in no way contradictory to stating that the police as an institution absolutely need reform to address the racism, sexism, cronyism, and a whole host of other issues that are still undeniably part of the system.

Pretty much this.
The "old timey police" that people keep pointing out and the pictures suck rear end. Old timey police sucked way more than it sucked today. The Police Service today is way better than it has ever been. Still sucks, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

captainblastum posted:

Yeah, the reality of historical policing means that American police have a very, very low bar to clear to be the best they've ever been.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: nope

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, the reality of historical policing means that American police have a very, very low bar to clear to be the best they've ever been.

Pretty much, the sheer level of incompetence is staggering in most police forces, and is not helped by the fact that a great deal of officers seem to believe that they are walking avatars of justice. Judge Dredd is probably a better policeman than some of them.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

UberJew posted:

'I'm sorry if you were offended' is not an actual apology, doubly so when it's 'I'm sorry if you felt threatened when I threatened you'. Doing so given the current climate, particularly towards women, on the internet is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed with this post.

Sedan, often you and I are on the same page, but that's certainly not cool.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SedanChair posted:

You are correct, it was not an actual apology. And none of my criticisms had anything to do with ActusRhesus' gender.

So you think that it's ok to harass and threaten someone in order to silence them (in this case a woman but I'm contending that it's a poo poo thing to do regardless of gender) to win an internet argument?

Or is only ok in the pursuit of Correct Opinions?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

You are correct, it was not an actual apology.

Classy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: nope! Shouldn't have engaged.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 29, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SedanChair posted:

I believe in the forum rules.

More generally, I believe it's fine to hold people accountable for the opinions they express online. For example, this police officer is being held accountable as we speak, in part because of views she expressed on the internet:

Harassment and threats as defined by the law are of course not OK, and I have done neither.

And that right there, coupled with your previous comments about being able to identify me can also be reasonably interpreted as a threat to try to impact my career because I disagreed with you on the internet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SedanChair posted:

I believe in the forum rules.

More generally, I believe it's fine to hold people accountable for the opinions they express online. For example, this police officer is being held accountable as we speak, in part because of views she expressed on the internet:

Harassment and threats as defined by the law are of course not OK, and I have done neither.

So threatening someone with "hey I know who you are and where you work" is a perfectly acceptable way to hold someone accountable for (again) an internet slap fight?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So threatening someone with "hey I know who you are and where you work" is a perfectly acceptable way to hold someone accountable for (again) an internet slap fight?

No, it isn't. I am sorry for breaking the forum rules.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SedanChair posted:

how very authoritarian to apologize to the rules instead of to people

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SedanChair posted:

You are a really gross person and I hope some day you understand that. To apologize for breaking the rules when you've harassed and threatened the livelihood of a human being because they disagreed with you is really quite something.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 29, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Agreed with this post.

Sedan, often you and I are on the same page, but that's certainly not cool.

Thank you for that. You and I are rarely on the same page but I appreciate your recognizing that this went too far.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Sorry folks, I got really frustrated. I lost my cool when the real work I've done was dismissed as "hippy bullshit" and reacted totally inappropriately. ActusRhesus, I'm sorry.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Sorry folks, I got really frustrated. I lost my cool when the real work I've done was dismissed as "hippy bullshit" and reacted totally inappropriately. ActusRhesus, I'm sorry.

No, I called your suggestion that murderers belong in therapeutic retreats rather than prison "hippy bullshit"

However I am glad you are apologizing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

No, I called your suggestion that murderers belong in therapeutic retreats rather than prison "hippy bullshit"

However I am glad you are apologizing.

Dismissing something like that as hippy Bullshit is close to the mindset that leads to mandatory minimums and poo poo. Like All Criminals Commit Crimes, thus they are bad.

Edit: disagreeing with that is fine, but calling it Bullshit is not.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 29, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah the "therapeutic retreat" bit was deliberately hyperbolic, but I definitely think all felons should receive treatment, and that if we have to choose between felons having a neutral or even a fulfilling experience while incarcerated or one filled with torture and rape (as they are now), we should choose the former.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Yeah the "therapeutic retreat" bit was deliberately hyperbolic, but I definitely think all felons should receive treatment, and that if we have to choose between felons having a neutral or even a fulfilling experience while incarcerated or one filled with torture and rape (as they are now), we should choose the former.
Less torture and rape and more boredom and substance abuse but yeah. Incarceration has very little rehabilitative value in America. Sadly that poo poo costs money and nobody wins elections on the "More money for criminals" platform.

Edit: Unless the criminals are investment bankers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Here. Context. Discussion went from the reasonable "do nonviolent drug offenders belong in prison?" Answer: I agree. No. To "prison shouldn't exist at all."

SedanChair posted:

Accountability means change, which is more than punishing some shmoe on the beat. Like all murderers, Darren Wilson should have been convicted of murder, then sent to abide at a healing retreat with calm and beatific warders ready to make sure he gets to group therapy on time. And the corrupt policing system that produced him should be destroyed so that there's no brick on top of another one. You destroy corrupt institutions; you recover corrupted individuals. That's justice. That's what the people who are marching want, they don't want blood, they're not like you.

I don't see how "punishment helps bring closure" is any more self-evidently true than "expensive funerals help bring closure." We're taught to believe that punishment brings closure. But a positive change is what brings closure.

Well I mean they're free to look at it however they want. When I worked at a treatment program for sexually aggressive youth, almost all of them were grateful to be there instead of Echo Glen. But the purpose was to fix them and return them to their communities, because no other approach (other than summarily executing them) would work better to minimize the likelihood of their doing harm in the future. Most of them seemed to understand that they weren't being punished, that the judge was smart enough not to harm their own community by punishing them, and damning them to a cycle of incarceration, decline and re-offense.

Some of them didn't understand, of course. They wouldn't participate in treatment, and had to leave the program and go to jail. But I would prefer that our system be more calm and patient with that kind of washout, and keep them in an environment that is restrictive but still respects their humanity and equality with others. And I see no reason that same logic shouldn't be applied to murderers.

Because we're better than him. That's already the logic he applies to us.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

At a public meeting over whether to create a civilian oversight board for the police, an officer shoves someone and turns the meeting into a brawl.

Where could this possibly be? Only St Louis, of course, where cops testifying against civilian oversight were wearing "I am darren Wilson" arm bands

http://newsfeed.gawker.com/supremacist-motherfucker-chaos-at-st-louis-cop-ove-1682510440

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Less torture and rape and more boredom and substance abuse but yeah. Incarceration has very little rehabilitative value in America.

I agree there can be improvements to rehabilitative programs ( though I think diversionary programs are better for this) but rehabilitation isn't the only purpose of incarceration. Some people can't be rehabilitated.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

bassguitarhero posted:

At a public meeting over whether to create a civilian oversight board for the police, an officer shoves someone and turns the meeting into a brawl.

Where could this possibly be? Only St Louis, of course, where cops testifying against civilian oversight were wearing "I am darren Wilson" arm bands

http://newsfeed.gawker.com/supremacist-motherfucker-chaos-at-st-louis-cop-ove-1682510440

quote:

"Two or three other anti-police radicals rushed over and things escalated from there."

Those drat radicals, always doing radical things like showing up at a city hall hearings to discuss oversight.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

I agree there can be improvements to rehabilitative programs ( though I think diversionary programs are better for this) but rehabilitation isn't the only purpose of incarceration. Some people can't be rehabilitated.
I agree that some people just need to be isolated from society at large. I think that is a small minority of offenders though. They should be separated from the rest instead of just tossing all the morons and crackheads in a big pot and then seasoning the mix with a few real psychos.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Less torture and rape and more boredom and substance abuse but yeah. Incarceration has very little rehabilitative value in America. Sadly that poo poo costs money and nobody wins elections on the "More money for criminals" platform.

Especially when the inmates don't know how to fit in society anymore and just go back into prison anyways.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Those drat radicals, always doing radical things like showing up at a city hall hearings to discuss oversight.

Also, "I am being recorded, but I'm just going to say poo poo that is completly contradicted by the video that is currently recording me! I don't know how video cameras work!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

That's true, but I don't see why that would mean that their punishment should never end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ReV VAdAUL posted:

When those in favour of police reform push for civilian review boards or body cameras the police will complain that it is onerous and pointless because they are inherently good guys and need nothing to cause them to behave morally. Indeed some police will event state the law gets in the way of doing good.

However if a citizen asks why the police are necessary the police state that without laws and police forcing citizens to behave everyone would immediately start acting immorally and harm their fellow citizens.

I failed to phrase it clearly - what I meant was that even if the conclusion was that he should not tolerate cops, he probably wouldn't change his behavior as a result of coming to that conclusion.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I agree that some people just need to be isolated from society at large. I think that is a small minority of offenders though. They should be separated from the rest instead of just tossing all the morons and crackheads in a big pot and then seasoning the mix with a few real psychos.

I'd agree with that. Here we tend to use different facilities based on the potential for violence and we do a lot with diversionary programs and special parole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Variant_Eris posted:

Especially when the inmates don't know how to fit in society anymore and just go back into prison anyways.
More like they never knew how to fit into society and spending a few years in the social reject bin didn't help matters.

• Locked thread