Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gorilla Salad posted:

The 1998 BBC show Ultraviolet (with Idris Elba!) had a brilliant way around this with their church-sanctioned vampire killing squad. Their pistols fired bullets with hardened charcoal inside them.

They also had small cameras and monitors mounted on all their weapons. If you could see someone with your eyes but not in the screen of your gun - you shot them.

Sadly I could only find this tiny image of it:

Gritty British drama, but with vampires :allears:

So this sounds great and I'm pissed I didn't know about it before. My GF started watching Vampire Diaries for reasons I do not understand and the vampire killing squad fires wooden bullets to kill/incapacitate. I guess I'll just have to accept it even though "hardened charcoal" makes more sense. I love vampires, that is no secret and I'd love to see a modern Gothic show where the hunters don't gently caress around one bit and use crossbows, packets of gasoline and flare guns.
Buffy is like that but I want new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

I woke up with a hangover this morning and it reminded me of an irrationally irritating thing: Badasses in movies (usually cowboys) who swig straight whiskey out of the bottle like it was iced tea and who down shots like they were lemonade but always seem able to shoot straight.

Along these same lines, it always bothered me in M*A*S*H* (the movie and the TV show) how these doctors seemed to be wasted all the time, making stills and drinking 24/7 but could always hop to it when Radar got on the speaker and said "Attention all personnel! Incoming wounded".

loving Hawkeye, Trapper, Henry and BJ never seemed to operate with a hangover, while drunk or to be passed out and unable to be rousted of bed when the choppers came. One minute they're slamming martinis and the next they're in the O.R. pulling shrapnel out of a dude's heart/liver/kidney/lung.

That might have made a good episode. "Too Drunk to Operate".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcgyk62cHU

Inzombiac posted:

So this sounds great and I'm pissed I didn't know about it before. My GF started watching Vampire Diaries for reasons I do not understand and the vampire killing squad fires wooden bullets to kill/incapacitate. I guess I'll just have to accept it even though "hardened charcoal" makes more sense. I love vampires, that is no secret and I'd love to see a modern Gothic show where the hunters don't gently caress around one bit and use crossbows, packets of gasoline and flare guns.
Buffy is like that but I want new poo poo.

Underworld had some kinda special ultraviolet (heh) bullets that would kill vampires. They also used silver nitrate bullets against werewolves which isn't completely crazy.

I'm trying to remember what it was, but something I watched recently used wooden bullets against vampires, I think it was TrueBlood actully, which... shouldn't work very well. There's no way a wooden bullet is going to have anything short of horrible ballistics. It'd probably fragment as you fired, so you'd just be blasting them with wooden shot. Then again the internet says that people have used wooden bullets before, so maybe this isn't as much of a flaw as I thought it was.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jan 28, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They don't really penetrate is the issue, so unless vampires have paper skin, they won't be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_bullet

They're mostly used for crowd control, like rubber bullets.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good one. I though you were going to link me to a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye was to drunk to operate.

Lap-Lem posted:

My dad was in a MASH unit during the Vietnam War, yeah, that's pretty much how it worked. You take a bunch of kids send them somewhere they don't want to go to do something they don't want to do, and surround them with horror 24/7. Drinking copious amounts of alcohol is basically what happens. Alcoholics function surprisingly well while intoxicated.

As a high functioning alcoholic myself, I can relate. But, for me, "functioning" means designing a magazine, an ad or posting on Something Awful, not picking shrapnel out of a dude's lungs at 3 am after a bender. Plus, the cast weren't written as "kids", in the movie or the show. They were portrayed as great doctors and surgeons at the top of their game who were thrust into a hellish situation so it always rang false for me.

It bothered me irrationally one might say.

What's your Dad do now? Was he drafted as a doctor? How old was he when he served? Did he operate while drunk? Did he ever gently caress up because of it?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I woke up with a hangover this morning and it reminded me of an irrationally irritating thing: Badasses in movies (usually cowboys) who swig straight whiskey out of the bottle like it was iced tea and who down shots like they were lemonade but always seem able to shoot straight.

Isn't there things you do better while drunk?
I can't play pool or foosball for poo poo sober and play alot better while slightly drunk. Also when practicing a new thing on the drums it sometimes helps if I'm really tired or slightly drunk.

Hulebr00670065006e has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jan 28, 2015

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcgyk62cHU

Underworld had some kinda special ultraviolet (heh) bullets that would kill vampires. They also used silver nitrate bullets against werewolves which isn't completely crazy.

I'm trying to remember what it was, but something I watched recently used wooden bullets against vampires, I think it was TrueBlood actully, which... shouldn't work very well. There's no way a wooden bullet is going to have anything short of horrible ballistics. It'd probably fragment as you fired, so you'd just be blasting them with wooden shot. Then again the internet says that people have used wooden bullets before, so maybe this isn't as much of a flaw as I thought it was.

Captain Monkey posted:

They don't really penetrate is the issue, so unless vampires have paper skin, they won't be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_bullet

They're mostly used for crowd control, like rubber bullets.

I recall there was a variant of wooden bullet with actual penetration power, rarely used by Axis forces in WWII, with the potential rationale of manufacturing cost among other things. The worst being that supposedly the rounds would splinter upon entering a victim, and become extremely difficult to properly treat.

If one runs on the idea that vampires were weak to wood in general and not just through staking, that seems like it'd be a valid way to mess one up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

I recall there was a variant of wooden bullet with actual penetration power, rarely used by Axis forces in WWII, with the potential rationale of manufacturing cost among other things. The worst being that supposedly the rounds would splinter upon entering a victim, and become extremely difficult to properly treat.

If one runs on the idea that vampires were weak to wood in general and not just through staking, that seems like it'd be a valid way to mess one up.

Huh I was unfamiliar with that. That's really interesting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Isn't there things you do better while drunk?
I can't play pool or foosball for poo poo sober and play alot better while slightly drunk. Also when practicing a new thing on the drums it sometimes help better if I'm really tired or slightly drunk.

Certainly. But firing a gun or performing surgery aren't among those things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There was definitely an episode where Hawkeye was too drunk to operate and had to bolt from the OR to puke outside. He had a row with Radar about it. 'Fallen Idol' I think from season six.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

BiggerBoat posted:

What's your Dad do now? Was he drafted as a doctor? How old was he when he served? Did he operate while drunk? Did he ever gently caress up because of it?

Don't want to derail, but he was a field surgeon, he is not, nor ever was an MD. So he pulled bullets, and shrapnel and sewed up wounds. He was drafted as a medic, but very fortunately was assigned as a surgeon instead, medics have a very short life span. He doesn't like to talk about it, and I don't like to pry, I do not know if he was ever actually drunk when performing, but from the stories he does tell it isn't that far fetched. He was in his mid 20's. After the war he worked in machine shops, now he's retired.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Late to the party, but the the name "Mimic" from Edge of Tomorrow is actually a holdover from the light novel, and it has nothing to do with their appearance - in the novel, I believe they're described as kind of froggish. Anyway, the name comes from their tendency to copy certain traits of local wildlife of the planet they're invading.

Also I think they're robots in the novel, sent by an alien race that is never actually shown. One big reason soldiers wear the suits is to protect them against some sort of nanobot pollution or something.

Maybe I'm wrong in this, this is all hearsay.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm irrationally irritated about an upcoming movie. Project Almanac seems like it's going to be kinda interesting, but at the same time I'm worried the "ripple effect" disasters are going to end up having the 9/11 attacks as a piece of proof.

My reasoning? The guys are all apparently around 21-ish (look to be college age). The main dude goes back in time to his 7th birthday party which would be roughly 14 years ago, which would be 2001. The whole point of going back is apparently to "fix" never going back in time or having the machine work, and when they go do poo poo apparently "ripples" cause riots and plane crashes and various other disasters.

It just strikes me as eye rollingly bad for a plot idea and also incredibly obvious, so I am really, super duper hoping they don't do that.

Since the dude's dad works for DARPA there's always a chance at governmental coverup/blah blah but still, I'm looking forward to the movie as it seems like it'd be cool, but holy fucknuggets if this ends up being the main plot twist/idea for it I am gonna be so pissed. I hate lazy writing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is charocal bad for vampires?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

EmmyOk posted:

Is charocal bad for vampires?

Yes it's fire and wood: 3x damage multiplier.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The North Tower posted:

Yes it's fire and wood: 3x damage multiplier.

BBQ'd garlic bread must wreck their poo poo

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I'm sitting here at my computer (literally, right now) watching Grosse Pointe Blank for the first time, and Dan Akroyd pulls out these two revolvers:

...and rapidly fires at least 26 distinct shots without reloading. Probably more, but I was counting conservatively.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lincoln posted:

So I'm sitting here at my computer (literally, right now) watching Grosse Pointe Blank for the first time, and Dan Akroyd pulls out these two revolvers:

...and rapidly fires at least 26 distinct shots without reloading. Probably more, but I was counting conservatively.

Getting mad at a comedy?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

:laffo: if you think that civilian doctors don't operate on people drunk or drugged out of their minds.

Would you say I was being irrational?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I've been watching The King of Queens because I think it's kinda funny and it's funny you bring that up because they actually juked that cliche on the episode I just finished watching. Main character Doug is hit on by a hotter, younger woman than his wife (who is herself not hard on the eyes by any means) and I rolled my eyes because immediately I knew Doug was going to fall into her hands because that's the kind of character he is. But actually, they set the episode up so that Doug feels guilty about accidentally flirting with her in his attempt to tell her that he's married, and he spends the whole thing fretting about what will happen when his wife inevitably finds out... and then when she does, she's actually not mad at him and is instead mad at the hotter, younger lady for a) being hotter and younger and b) trying to steal her husband. So then they fight and it's like yeah okay sure.

But most of the time it does play out the opposite way, yes.

I remember a King of the Hill episode when the creepy weedy and nutjob-conspiracy theorist Dale, whose wife had been cheating on him for pretty much every prior season (and in fact their son is biologically the other man's, John Redcorn) and just recently stopped, gets heavily flirted at by his new younger female coworker. Dale is totally oblivious to it, his wife is rightly upset to herself, but since she's cheated on him so much (and he has no idea) it's hard for her to judge. When the coworker finally makes her move, Dale isn't just shocked, he's downright insulted because he has the best drat wife ever and he only holds two vows he's ever made as sacred: his membership to the NRA and his wedding vows. And his wife is utterly relieved when he tells her about the entire thing.

Not sure if that is funnier or not than when Dale explains he has no problem with his father finally coming out of the closet, because "John Redcorn's gay and I've known him for years."

poo poo, everyone BUT Dale knows his wife has been cheating on him. In fact there's an episode where Dale becomes convinced their kid isn't really his kid because he was in another state when the boy was conceived. Cue several "Mom, is Dad my real dad?" questions from the kid to his mom. Dale is convinced, though, that aliens made the boy and are coming to take him back...and in Dale fashion drives the poor kid out to Roswell and tells him to call for his real parents. But Dale also being Dale, cracks and runs after the teenager, screaming at the nonexistent aliens that they can't have him back, this is HIS son.

I miss that show.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dale is the best

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember a King of the Hill episode when the creepy weedy and nutjob-conspiracy theorist Dale, whose wife had been cheating on him for pretty much every prior season (and in fact their son is biologically the other man's, John Redcorn) and just recently stopped, gets heavily flirted at by his new younger female coworker. Dale is totally oblivious to it, his wife is rightly upset to herself, but since she's cheated on him so much (and he has no idea) it's hard for her to judge. When the coworker finally makes her move, Dale isn't just shocked, he's downright insulted because he has the best drat wife ever and he only holds two vows he's ever made as sacred: his membership to the NRA and his wedding vows. And his wife is utterly relieved when he tells her about the entire thing.

Not sure if that is funnier or not than when Dale explains he has no problem with his father finally coming out of the closet, because "John Redcorn's gay and I've known him for years."

poo poo, everyone BUT Dale knows his wife has been cheating on him. In fact there's an episode where Dale becomes convinced their kid isn't really his kid because he was in another state when the boy was conceived. Cue several "Mom, is Dad my real dad?" questions from the kid to his mom. Dale is convinced, though, that aliens made the boy and are coming to take him back...and in Dale fashion drives the poor kid out to Roswell and tells him to call for his real parents. But Dale also being Dale, cracks and runs after the teenager, screaming at the nonexistent aliens that they can't have him back, this is HIS son.

I miss that show.

The funniest part is that Dale is this huge conspiracy theorist who will believe anything without any evidence whatsoever to support it, but won't believe his wife is unfaithful or Joseph isn't his son despite he and his wife both being blonde and white and Joseph obviously being Native American. At one point I wondered if Dale actually knew everything and just didn't care because he loved them both. That would have been great characterisation, but him really being that blind is better comedy.

It was a good show, but I do think it had run long enough. I don't think I would have wanted to watch after Brittany Murphy died, either.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

EmmyOk posted:

Dale is the best
My absolute favourite moment is when he's talking to that CSI guy and says "that's what they want you to believe" and the guy says "sir, I am they" and he runs off.

Anyway, I ordered Ultraviolet off amazon so it'd better live up to the hype in this thead. :v:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Jedit posted:

...I don't think I would have wanted to watch after Brittany Murphy died, either.

Huh, I stopped watching years ago, and didn't know about that. Did they get a new voice actor for Luann or cut the character?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lincoln posted:

Huh, I stopped watching years ago, and didn't know about that. Did they get a new voice actor for Luann or cut the character?

The show had stopped airing like exactly afterwards.

King of the Hill was funny, but it'd ran its course anyways. They had no material left.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

The show had stopped airing like exactly afterwards.

King of the Hill was funny, but it'd ran its course anyways. They had no material left.

The big reveal that Bill was Bobby's biological father probably wouldn't have played out that well but I would have liked to see them try.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Lap-Lem posted:

I got nothing on cowboys shooting straight, whiskey or no.

Actually a lot of competitive shooters have been known to take a single shot. Steadies the nerves and takes away that ever so slight tremble.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

BBQ'd garlic bread must wreck their poo poo

Pizza works good to depending on the sauce

http://youtu.be/InyNfYDybD0

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

All done in a way no one except the Brits could do.

For about $6.50 with whatever props were lying around in the BBC's wardrobe department?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

It was a good show, but I do think it had run long enough. I don't think I would have wanted to watch after Brittany Murphy died, either.

The last few seasons weren't very good. Season 9 is probably where it really starts to dip in quality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Anyway, I ordered Ultraviolet off amazon so it'd better live up to the hype in this thead. :v:

I hope you ordered the TV series by Joe Ahearne and not the movie by Kurt Wimmer. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I won't be. I'll be laughing so hard I'll probably puke.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

I won't be. I'll be laughing so hard I'll probably puke.

Harsh, man :smith:

Nobody deserves that.

I like to think they lied to Nick Chinlund when they hired him.

"Oh, yeah, you're a badass vampire guy who basically runs the whole city. And you get a sword. This movie is gonna rule. Please be in it. Oh, you want to read the whole script? Uh, I lost it. And please disregard the rumors you've heard about that hideous child actor being in this film because he's totally not"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

syscall girl posted:

The big reveal that Bill was Bobby's biological father probably wouldn't have played out that well but I would have liked to see them try.

That joke theory irrationally irritates me. Look at Cotton and Bobby how similar they are in appearance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cheerfullydrab posted:

That joke theory irrationally irritates me. Look at Cotton and Bobby how similar they are in appearance.

How do you know Bill isn't Cotton's son?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Trust me, if Hank wasn't cotton's son he would have made that abundantly clear to Hank.

e: also peggy is downright horrified by bill. But I guess we're probably joking so this post is irrelevant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darth Freddy posted:

Actually a lot of competitive shooters have been known to take a single shot. Steadies the nerves and takes away that ever so slight tremble.

Yeah. They test olympic shooters for alcohol, actually, since it's considered a performance enhancer.

As for people who are actually drunk "Intoxicated subjects were less accurate, slower to fire in reaction time scenarios, and quicker to fire in scenarios requiring judgement"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Lincoln posted:

Don't watch the last episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

I hope you ordered the TV series by Joe Ahearne and not the movie by Kurt Wimmer. Otherwise you may be disappointed.
Nah, I was well aware of potential pitfall. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah. They test olympic shooters for alcohol, actually, since it's considered a performance enhancer.

As for people who are actually drunk "Intoxicated subjects were less accurate, slower to fire in reaction time scenarios, and quicker to fire in scenarios requiring judgement"

What you really want is some diazepam aka valium.

Or some meth. :okpos: