Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx
I just found out about The Philadelphia Experiment, and I'm really enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkuO21Hy2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've been listening to bits from the op and occasionally in the thread for the past few days and really enjoying the more upbeat tracks. I'm looking for more recommendations for jazz you could rob a bank or be in a car chase to?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Little_wh0re posted:

I've been listening to bits from the op and occasionally in the thread for the past few days and really enjoying the more upbeat tracks. I'm looking for more recommendations for jazz you could rob a bank or be in a car chase to?

Raymond Scott - Powerhouse.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

Avishai Cohen in general is pretty good for this--check out Smash, Chutzpan, Pinzin Kinzin, and maybe Ani Aff.

And a random assortment of other tunes:
Whistle Stop by Kenny Dorham
Three Way Split by Hank Mobley
Seven Steps to Heaven by Miles Davis
The Drum Thunder Suite by Art Blakey
Pretty much any version of Cherokee, but check out Art Blakey's off of Study In Brown
Line 3/4 of the tracks on At Basin Street, especially a couple of the alternate takes.
Hat and Beard by Eric Dolphy is a little out there, but fits

edit: Hiromi Uehara is fantastic for this. Check out Move, XYZ, and 11:49PM. RTG by Chihiro Yamanaka is also a good one.

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 29, 2015

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
I was going through my uncle's record collection and found Hank Crawford's Wildflower. I have been listening to it on repeat, I love how soulful it is. I've been trying to find more stuff like it, but I don't know too much about jazz. Most of the time I search for jazz I get really frantic stuff that doesn't sound to appealing to me. I guess maybe I'm looking for jazz/soul/funk stuff? Can anyone offer me some recommendations?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

unclenutzzy posted:

I was going through my uncle's record collection and found Hank Crawford's Wildflower. I have been listening to it on repeat, I love how soulful it is. I've been trying to find more stuff like it, but I don't know too much about jazz. Most of the time I search for jazz I get really frantic stuff that doesn't sound to appealing to me. I guess maybe I'm looking for jazz/soul/funk stuff? Can anyone offer me some recommendations?

Maybe give these a try:

Uberjam and Piety Street, John Scofield
Live At The Lighthouse, Grant Green
Feel, by George Duke
Red Clay, Freddie Hubbard
Survival Of The Fittest, Headhunters
Rage!, Lettuce

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
You would like:

Larry Young - Heaven on Earth
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Roy Ayers - Stoned Soul Picnic
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You should look for more stuff from CTI Records- Wildflower came out on their more soul-jazz-oriented Kudu imprint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTI_Records

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
This is my new favorite thing, anyone know anything else along these lines? The electronics are appreciated but not mandatory.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I skipped around but couldn't really find anything in it that makes me think "jazz". I did hear a fretless bass at one point with some vibe sounds. I don't think I can really recommend anything like it :(. Definitely cool in it's own right, though.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 29, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Monkey Man posted:

You should look for more stuff from CTI Records- Wildflower came out on their more soul-jazz-oriented Kudu imprint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTI_Records

Milt Jackson's Sunflower is really good. Freddie Hubbard's on it. Swings a little, dips it's toes in fusion, lots of soul.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

This is my new favorite thing, anyone know anything else along these lines? The electronics are appreciated but not mandatory.

This is difficult because none of the tracks have a strong melody. This reminds me of bop and post-bop drums like in Maiden Voyage. You might like the Birdman Soundtrack because it's got just as much, if not more, percussion than in Badun. Maybe Machine 2 by Kait Dunton? I'm not really saying you'll like it, but maybe try listening to Song X by Ornette Coleman?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So I remember about a year ago a link to NPR's 50 best jazz records of 2013 was posted. Looks like they have another one of those. Previous list took me a better half of 2014 to work through, but it was a good way to stay (relatively) current. Looking forward to what I'll find this time. Got nothing particularly interesting to report so far, but then again I didn't start with the top 10.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Space Hamlet posted:

That's not jazz. It's not bad though. I assume you've checked out Four Tet? Specifically "Rounds"

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

woodenchicken posted:

So I remember about a year ago a link to NPR's 50 best jazz records of 2013 was posted. Looks like they have another one of those. Previous list took me a better half of 2014 to work through, but it was a good way to stay (relatively) current. Looking forward to what I'll find this time. Got nothing particularly interesting to report so far, but then again I didn't start with the top 10.

Someone please report back on which Nels Cline release is weirder, so I may listen to that one first.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

juche mane posted:

That's not jazz. It's not bad though. I assume you've checked out Four Tet? Specifically "Rounds"
My first thought was Squarepusher.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Thanks, y'all. The Birdman soundtrack's new to me and pretty cool. Squarepusher and Four Tet came to my mind as well, but they lack a certain something that Badun does for me. The almost-lack of mood, I guess?

I don't exactly see the comparison to Maiden Voyage but I love that album too, so!

I'm surprised that it didn't strike y'all as jazzy - I felt like it was IDM-infused jazz, but maybe it's more the other way around. Perhaps I'll run it by the general recommendations megathread!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

Thanks, y'all. The Birdman soundtrack's new to me and pretty cool. Squarepusher and Four Tet came to my mind as well, but they lack a certain something that Badun does for me. The almost-lack of mood, I guess?

I don't exactly see the comparison to Maiden Voyage but I love that album too, so!

I'm surprised that it didn't strike y'all as jazzy - I felt like it was IDM-infused jazz, but maybe it's more the other way around. Perhaps I'll run it by the general recommendations megathread!

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but maybe this band? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbFuWRSJhs

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Jazz Marimba posted:

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but maybe this band? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbFuWRSJhs

See, this strikes me as lacking the jazz element that made Badun particularly interesting. Maybe I'm just crazy. It's pretty good though, thanks!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Just happened to find Ahmad Jamal's At The Pershing: But Not For Me on Spotify and holy hell, it's amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1hm7KlfT8

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wonder if there's any jazz guitarist that's ever tried to emulate the screechy sonorities of guys like Mingus and Davis, as well as crazier free jazz stuff. Most of them - (all of them, from what I can find) - seem to go with the common smooth, non-distorted way of playing, which is fine and dandy but never captivates the wilder side of jazz. Anyone knows any artist that plays in such a way?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

I wonder if there's any jazz guitarist that's ever tried to emulate the screechy sonorities of guys like Mingus and Davis, as well as crazier free jazz stuff. Most of them - (all of them, from what I can find) - seem to go with the common smooth, non-distorted way of playing, which is fine and dandy but never captivates the wilder side of jazz. Anyone knows any artist that plays in such a way?

Ever heard Sonny Sharrock? He might be what you're looking for.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, this guy hits the spot quite nicely. A million thanks! Also, my dumb rear end totally forgot about McLaughlin, and the guy who played the Space Ghost Theme, whom I now discover to be, shockingly... Sonny Sharrock. :captainpop:

pseudospectral
Feb 18, 2015
There's a track in the Blade Runner soundtrack that I really like (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE94k-TvgOE , you can skip to around 3:00), but I really don't know anything about jazz so I'm not sure what genre of jazz to look up to find similar sounding pieces. Any ideas?

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Space Hamlet posted:

Reminded me of Finnish jazz drummer Olavi Louhivuori's Existence -solo project where he mixes acoustic percussion with fairly minimalist electronic music. Whole album is on Spotify or check this live video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0t4lxHuxCc

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

pseudospectral posted:

There's a track in the Blade Runner soundtrack that I really like (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE94k-TvgOE , you can skip to around 3:00), but I really don't know anything about jazz so I'm not sure what genre of jazz to look up to find similar sounding pieces. Any ideas?

It has saxophone in it. You also often hear saxophone in jazz ensembles. Look for music with Saxophone

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Between Birdman and Whiplash I've been on a huge jazz kick as of late. Specifically intense, quick, upbeat jazz drumming. Been listening to a lot of Buddy Rich but I was wondering if there were any more where it's just the drumming part? If not maybe some more that are like Buddy Rich.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Between Birdman and Whiplash I've been on a huge jazz kick as of late. Specifically intense, quick, upbeat jazz drumming. Been listening to a lot of Buddy Rich but I was wondering if there were any more where it's just the drumming part? If not maybe some more that are like Buddy Rich.

I mean Gene Krupa is the obvious counterpoint to Buddy Rich if you like big band music led by a drummer. Neil Peart curated 2 albums called Burning For Buddy which have mostly rock drummers playing Buddy Rich staples, with plenty of soloing if that's what you're looking for.

Max Roach is the other major drummer bandleader I can think of but he didn't work with a big band as far as I'm aware. Well Tony Williams but his solo stuff is kinda weird rock fusion. And Elvin Jones nails intense, quick and upbeat, but again, with Coltrane's quartet not an orchestra.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I mean Gene Krupa is the obvious counterpoint to Buddy Rich if you like big band music led by a drummer. Neil Peart curated 2 albums called Burning For Buddy which have mostly rock drummers playing Buddy Rich staples, with plenty of soloing if that's what you're looking for.

Max Roach is the other major drummer bandleader I can think of but he didn't work with a big band as far as I'm aware. Well Tony Williams but his solo stuff is kinda weird rock fusion. And Elvin Jones nails intense, quick and upbeat, but again, with Coltrane's quartet not an orchestra.

The big band/orchestra part definitely isn't a necessity. From what I'm listening to Elvin Jones is absolutely up my alley, maybe even more so than Rich.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

juche mane posted:

It has saxophone in it. You also often hear saxophone in jazz ensembles. Look for music with Saxophone

Oh come on, it's totally a jazz saxophone. pseudospectral, check out this guy, he's really good and might be what you're looking for http://youtu.be/Xlfnedlb7iU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I've been listening to Pee Wee Russell lately and really like some of his stuff, could anyone recommend some other clarinetists, ideally more bebop and less dixieland?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I'm a jazz novice but Art Blakey is my favorite drummer in the genre easily. Free For All is an amazing album.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was listening to some of Keith Jarrett's improv concerts (improving a whole concert?!) and really digging some of that atmosphere. I'm challenging myself to learn to read music using a Bill Evans book (or just learning how to build his chords). I'm also trying to challenge my ear by attempting to remember and recreate melodies from jazz stuff I like. I've already learned some great chord changes trying to recreate this stuff. On the car ride home today I listened to Jarret's trio live in Tokyo 96' and it was really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNLxgjOFys

When I got home I spent a good two hours trying to figure out what chords he used and it was really fun to do! Recorded my take on his opener for Summer Night. Beautiful song and gives a lot of great ideas how to move around on a classic chord progression.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 28, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bought a new synthesizer (Yamaha MoXF8) a week ago! Been on it pretty often trying to figure it all out. Two jazzy uploads out of that so far:

Crystal Silence. My little stab at Corea's chill as heck track from his original Return to Forever album.

Chuck's Hustle. Little minor jam with one of the awesome jazz performances this thing has. I am seriously loving the organ selections.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I figured I'd forgo the Recommendation thread and see if my request would gain more traction here.

Can anyone recommend me some dark/moody/foreboding/spooky jazz similar to the song Sycamore Trees?

It can be subtle and smooth or crazy and erratic. I'm literally up for anything.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Franchescanado posted:

I figured I'd forgo the Recommendation thread and see if my request would gain more traction here.

Can anyone recommend me some dark/moody/foreboding/spooky jazz similar to the song Sycamore Trees?

It can be subtle and smooth or crazy and erratic. I'm literally up for anything.

This might be a little too obvious, but that song is pretty clearly a pastiche of Strange Fruit.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kamasi Washington's The Epic is pretty dope

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Bohren & der club of gore do nothing but creepy, lynchian doom-jazz.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Franchescanado posted:

The ultimate foreboding jazz album is An Empty Bliss Beyond this World by The Caretaker (Leyland Kirby.) He sampled a load of old jazz records to create this incredibly strange audio collage, that's supposed to represent the music which plays in the Gold Room from The Shining, when nobody's around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. They were exactly what I was looking for.

• Locked thread