Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Dietrich posted:

Either way we should spend more money on aircraft carriers obviously.

I know this will probably come back to bite me in the rear end, but was your remark meant to be sarcastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

OhYeah posted:

I know this will probably come back to bite me in the rear end, but was your remark meant to be sarcastic?

It seems to me that the Chinese armed forces are paper tigers who's only real capability lies in keeping their population in check and will seriously be strained now that China's 10% yr/yr growth has all but stalled out and the 900 million Chinese who got left off the economic improvement boat realize what's up but maybe that's just what I want to believe.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dietrich posted:

It seems to me that the Chinese armed forces are paper tigers who's only real capability lies in keeping their population in check and will seriously be strained now that China's 10% yr/yr growth has all but stalled out and the 900 million Chinese who got left off the economic improvement boat realize what's up but maybe that's just what I want to believe.

A paper tiger that could, on a whim, level the important parts of Taiwan and poo poo out hundreds of missiles at any ship in the straits with the push of a few buttons. Even if their momentum peters out after a few days, weeks or months, that's still a tremendous amount of destructive power.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Dietrich posted:

Possibly. I do think that the Navy needs some plussing up. LCS is a disaster. The new program which is LCS++, will be kinda crappy as well. I'm under the impression that other than the Ohio replacement stuff subs are ok. Surface has a lot of issues, some of which will require more hulls.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dietrich posted:

This is exactly how I feel as well. The Chinese have so many problems domestically that their armed forces are not much of a concern to me.

The 10% yr/yr growth becomes less impressive, for example, when you learn that if GDP growth falls beneath 7%, the economy in China is static or contracting. This is because 7% of the Chinese GDP is consumed with paying the costs of the huge environmental/health damage they've inflicted upon themselves.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Dietrich posted:

They are a joke now, but that's no reason to rest on our laurels.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Red Crown posted:

A paper tiger that could, on a whim, level the important parts of Taiwan and poo poo out hundreds of missiles at any ship in the straits with the push of a few buttons. Even if their momentum peters out after a few days, weeks or months, that's still a tremendous amount of destructive power.

Sure, at the cost of becoming an international pariah, losing their maritime-based trade lanes and whatever the US and other allies launch against mainland China in response

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Even a mildly competent military could be seriously effective in a scenario with as many operational and strategic advantages as the Chinese have in the western Pacific.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I've said it before but war is bad for business, and that's something the Chinese and their leadership simply can't afford. Their whole idea of society hinges upon growth through stability ("harmony").

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Assuming they don't succumb to numerous crippling environmental, social or economic problems first

Actually I think they're going to start flailing when the nosedive starts gaining speed.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Sure, at the cost of becoming an international pariah, losing their maritime-based trade lanes and whatever the US and other allies launch against mainland China in response

Said everyone in 1913 and 1938. And about a thousand other times in history. A LOT of wars start between major trade partners.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
NM

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMn4PmiDeQ

This is a pretty good lecture on why a conflict with China in the medium-term future isn't completely unrealistic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManifunkDestiny posted:

So youre telling me we would go to war against a near superpower nation that annexed nearby maritime lands it had a tenuous historical claim to?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

That Works posted:

So youre telling me we would go to war against a near superpower nation that annexed nearby maritime lands it had a tenuous historical claim to?

Well, considering that last year Obama made it official US policy that the Senkakus are covered under the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security...

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Godholio posted:

Actually I think they're going to start flailing when the nosedive starts gaining speed.

Said everyone in 1913 and 1938. And about a thousand other times in history. A LOT of wars start between major trade partners.

That's true, but you also have to admit that the current situation is pretty unqiue. We've never had such a high level of globalization in the history of mankind before. You can't really compare the beginning of the 20th century with today.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

OhYeah posted:

That's true, but you also have to admit that the current situation is pretty unqiue. We've never had such a high level of globalization in the history of mankind before. You can't really compare the beginning of the 19th century with today.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Concern is a lot less "we might go to full scalre war with them!" than it is that if China has significant capabilities, we would pointedly not go to war and just let them bully our Pacific allies a hell of a lot more than they have dared in the past.

A Raptor had another oops:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 29, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Have they domestically cloned the S-400 yet then? A friend of mine from Russia keeps insisting that they have a de facto alliance now with China, but I'm not sure if thats just improper wording or what. It sure as gently caress doesnt seem true in the conventional meaning of "alliance" at least.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

Concern is a lot less "we might go to full scalre war with them!" than it is that if China has significant capabilities, we would pointedly not go to war and just let them bully our Pacific allies a hell of a lot more than they have dared in the past.

A Raptor had another oops:

Gear failure?

Also, that photo is a great example of how gently caress-off HUGE modern fighters are.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Report I read said brake fire on a landing gear, but it was from The Aviationist, which is really only good for cool pictures.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Gear failure?

Also, that photo is a great example of how gently caress-off HUGE modern fighters are.

Yeah. A hornet has a few feet on a B-25.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Have they domestically cloned the S-400 yet then? A friend of mine from Russia keeps insisting that they have a de facto alliance now with China, but I'm not sure if thats just improper wording or what. It sure as gently caress doesnt seem true in the conventional meaning of "alliance" at least.

Russia doesn't have any allies, none that matter anyway. Syria and Iran. North-Korea.

Wait, isn't this the new Axis of Evil (tm)?

In any case, what could China possibly gain from the situation by allying themselves with Russia instead of remaining neutral and having close business ties with the Western world?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Alaan posted:

Yeah. A hornet has a few feet on a B-25.

I looked it up:
B-25:

quote:

Length: 52 ft 11 in (16.13 m)
Wingspan: 67 ft 7 in (20.60 m)
Height: 16 ft 4 in (4.98 m)
Wing area: 610 sq ft (56.7 m²)
Empty weight: 19,480 lb (8,855 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 35,000 lb (15,910 kg)
F-22:

quote:

Length: 62 ft 1 in (18.92 m)
Wingspan: 44 ft 6 in (13.56 m)
Height: 16 ft 8 in (5.08 m)
Wing area: 840 ft² (78.04 m²)
Empty weight: 43,340 lb (19,700 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 83,500 lb (38,000 kg)
F-22 has a smaller wingspan, but is longer, has a larger wing area, weighs more, and can carry more.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

However, the B-25 can cross the international date line.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Sperglord Actual posted:

However, the B-25 can cross the international date line.

And fly from a carrier.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And really the B-25 has the F-22 beat in the RCS category too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If a B-25 cost $100,000 per in 1943 (adjusted for today's dollars $1,369,863.01) you could buy 110 B-25s for one F-22 (If you assume a F-22 cost of 150 million.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

And in those circumstances they start when (like you said) poo poo starts nosediving for whatever reason and/or when a relatively minor flashpoint blows up into something major, often exacerbated by irrational forces like ethnic tensions.

Good thing there's no flashpoints in the Western Pacific that involve China and US security treaty partners where (irrational) ethnic/cultural beliefs are the drivers of the tensions, and good thing we haven't explicitly stated that at least some of those flashpoints are directly covered under the mutual security treaties we have with those countries.

I've expanded on this before a lot in this thread so I'll just give you the tl;dr version: US conventional military power in the Pacific isn't there to fight and win a war against China, because no one wins in that scenario. It's to provide enough stability and conventional deterrent posture that every morning Xi Jinping (or whoever within the PLA is really calling the shots) wakes up, looks out at the Taiwan Strait/East China Sea/South China Sea/wherever else and thinks, "today's not the day."

Dandywalken posted:

I don't think so. I'm assuming that's what the S-400 deal is for.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They do have some indigenious variants of the HQ-9 that would you could consider comparable with the S-400/PAC-3, but they are projects nobody really knows anything about so who knows if they actually work. You can bet those S-400s will get thoroughly looked at for the next HQ-?? variant they make.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Question: any good recent analysis behind a paywall that you can recommend about the state of the Russian Air Force? I've heard that the training of pilots is seriously lacking when compared to top NATO countries, many of planes are grounded due to poor maintenance and lack of spares. I would like to read more about this.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Photo of the cleanest (by comparison) Bear I've ever seen.

Full size here.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Baloogan posted:

And really the B-25 has the F-22 beat in the RCS category too.

Uh, no?

EDIT: regarding China, they may have a lot of advantages in the west pacific, but we also have the combined militaries of Korea, Japan, Australia and so on, and all of their militaries are also growing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Uh, no?

EDIT: regarding China, they may have a lot of advantages in the west pacific, but we also have the combined militaries of Korea, Japan, Australia and so on, and all of their militaries are also growing.

:lol: if you think a Korean-Japanese joint operation is a thing that would ever happen in real life.

Also, Australia is further away from China than the west coast of the United States, so they aren't super relevant.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 29, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

If a B-25 cost $100,000 per in 1943 (adjusted for today's dollars $1,369,863.01) you could buy 110 B-25s for one F-22 (If you assume a F-22 cost of 150 million.)

Funnier if you go with one of those §300/400/700 million figures for the F-22.

Not that you'd actually get a modern production military B-25 for just $1.4 million. But a Beech G58 Baron... :v:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, Australia is further away from China than the west coast of the United States, so they aren't super relevant.

Don't think this is remotely true.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Veritek83 posted:

Don't think this is remotely true.

The West coast of the US is closer to China if you travel East, maybe.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If you measure as the crow flies from Hainan to the mining regions of northwestern Australia, then no, it's not true. However the distance from China to the heavily populated parts of NSW and Victoria, where most Australians live, are indeed further, and doubly so if you're measuring the distance a ship sails since there are a bunch of islands in the way.

e: actually I just measured it out and this only works if you're talking about ship routes

e2: here are some distances

Pearl River region to Sydney: 4k nm

Harbin to Seattle: 4.1k nm

Hainan to Sydney: 3.9k nm

Head of Ussuri River to Seattle: 3.8k nm

Hainan to Darwin: 2.2k nm

Head of Ussuri River to coast of Washington: 3.7k nm

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 29, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's a good thing that Australia only has naval bases on the part of Australia farthest from China then.

waitaminute

However, the point stands that Australia's power projection abilities are laughable compared with the US.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Mortabis posted:

If you measure as the crow flies from Hainan to the mining regions of northwestern Australia, then no, it's not true. However the distance from China to the heavily populated parts of NSW and Victoria, where most Australians live, are indeed further, and doubly so if you're measuring the distance a ship sails since there are a bunch of islands in the way.

Sure, but even Hainan to Victoria is ~4000 KM less than Hainan to San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Veritek83 posted:

Sure, but even Hainan to Victoria is ~4000 KM less than Hainan to San Francisco.

I measured to different points within China: Hainan to NSW, Heilongjiang to Washington