Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

It came up briefly in either this thread or the shounen thread, and reaction was pretty weak. "It's not as reprehensible as it could have been" isn't really a good selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The sister just comes off as a really terrible person in a way that just makes me irritated instead of entertaining me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just stumbled upon Ashizuri Aquarium and read it. I'm not sure if it really fits this thread, but it's pretty drat surreal and weird so linking it here for anyone curious since it's fully translated and only one volume. Best way I can think of describing it is the kid goes somewhere and then things get weird, but that's probably not quite what it's about.

Boxbot! :argh:

E: And by stumbled I mean just found out a Manga Taisho nominated manga got fully translated. They tend to be interesting in some way so I try to give them a chance if they're translated especially since a bunch of them are forum favorites including Seki-kun, Silver Spoon, Chihayafuru, Sakamoto desu ka, etc. Anyways, Terrarium in Drawer is also fully translated. This one is more an anthology of a lot of different scenarios, some weird, some heart-touching, and some just amusing gags.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rexides posted:

Wow, I never realized how difficult it is to google for famous pictures of japanese historical figures. Everything is buried under heaps of Sengoku Basara and other anime.

Mystery no Carmen Sandiego.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Allarion posted:

E: And by stumbled I mean just found out a Manga Taisho nominated manga got fully translated. They tend to be interesting in some way so I try to give them a chance if they're translated especially since a bunch of them are forum favorites including Seki-kun, Silver Spoon, Chihayafuru, Sakamoto desu ka, etc. Anyways, Terrarium in Drawer is also fully translated. This one is more an anthology of a lot of different scenarios, some weird, some heart-touching, and some just amusing gags.

I thought this looked familiar, so I looked it up and it's by Ryoko Kui, the mangaka of the Dragons Seven Adorable Children. That's got sort of the same format, maybe she likes doing these vignette type things.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Zai x 10 is the best :swoon:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Zai-x-10/Ch-034--Scam-Arc-003?id=218517

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More Sakamoto

:psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sakamoto is the best manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ahahaha, I love how completely nonsensical the gags in this manga can get sometimes. The whole chapter I was like ":psyduck: What? WHAT?" It's pretty great.

Never have I seen a guy being compared to a crocodile eating its prey in the Amazon River look so dreamy. :swoon:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Wonder how I never saw this thread before, other than not actually coming to subforum that often. Saw Sumire in the op, read the whole thing in a day, currently assaulted by feels.

The old man is one of the most inspirational characters I've ever encountered. What a loving great manga.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 19, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

Wonder how I never saw this thread before, other than not actually coming to subforum that often. Saw Sumire in the op, read the whole thing in a day, currently assaulted by feels.

The old man is one of the most inspirational characters I've ever encountered. What a loving great manga.

It really really is. The page where he reunites with the girls, and temporarily puts aside the puppet and smiles with tears in his eyes gets me every single time. :unsmith: It's also the platonic ideal of a Surreal Daily Life Manga! Everyone should read and reread Sumire 16-Sai!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It really really is. The page where he reunites with the girls, and temporarily puts aside the puppet and smiles with tears in his eyes gets me every single time. :unsmith: It's also the platonic ideal of a Surreal Daily Life Manga! Everyone should read and reread Sumire 16-Sai!

I did this thing and then found out there was a live-action adaptation. Are there subtitles for that, because I kind of need it in my life.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dordreff posted:

I did this thing and then found out there was a live-action adaptation. Are there subtitles for that, because I kind of need it in my life.

Sadly no. I watched a bit of the raw outta curiosity, it was interesting what they did with it. Basically half of the time Yotsuya is portrayed as an actual puppet, and the other half by an actual actress, switching between the two depending on what was funnier/more convenient for certain actions.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm sure I saw it with subs somewhere. But it was really bad and only got a few episodes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The best demon king is back

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Uchi-no-Maou-Kamimasen-yo/Ch-010--My-Demon-King-in-a-Gekokujyou-Tournament--Part-002-?id=219338

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's like the final scene from a really corny fantasy anime! Why do they have fantasy characters as pets anyway? I don't know, but it's awesome and hilarious!

Super Dog Rilienthal finally got an update.

I can't help but imagine that he sounds exactly like Jake from Adventure Time.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Centaurs Worries :psyduck: :wtf:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Yeah, I know, what the hell was up with this chapter. You lift with the legs, not the back.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

what

edit:
This has always been a mood whiplash sort of series, but this takes the weirdness to a wholly different place (hah!). The strangest stuff has always been unrelated to our protagonists, or at most vaguely adjacent to them. This is... a significant escalation of weird.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shion-of-the-Dead

:psyduck:

Joint custody slays me

Edit: You should stop at chapter 6-7. :wtf:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 29, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's literally marked as ecchi with a big ol cleavage shot of the main character as the series image. What exactly do you expect

Haven't read it, just assuming it's something perverted that is making you react that way

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I bet the next chapter with these characters will have everything back to normal with no explanation as to what happened.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

It's literally marked as ecchi with a big ol cleavage shot of the main character as the series image. What exactly do you expect

Haven't read it, just assuming it's something perverted that is making you react that way

I find the whole "zombie girl" fetish extremely bizarre, but it somehow seems to be an actual "thing", at least judging from that Sankarea manga getting an anime. Gross as hell.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Exploiting the otaku market is kind of like oil drilling. In the exploratory phase, you drill for new untapped fetish deposits. At some point you'll strike a productive fetish reserve, which you can exploit until it runs dry. Then you can move on to the next fetish. Since the market for incest was tapped out by around 2011-2012, the new otaku-exploitation frontier has opened up in the necrophilia front.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I bet the next chapter with these characters will have everything back to normal with no explanation as to what happened.

No way. She's going to have a confrontation with the winged girl who's running the other country, and it's going to be class rep. The war will turn out to be a horrible misunderstanding, and the Antarcticans step in from behind the scenes to get them home safely.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Nipponophile posted:

No way. She's going to have a confrontation with the winged girl who's running the other country, and it's going to be class rep. The war will turn out to be a horrible misunderstanding, and the Antarcticans step in from behind the scenes to get them home safely.

Even odds, but it's definitely one of these.

Or maybe some Frankensteining of both, where the next chapter ends with startled recognition on their faces as class rep. and... oh my, I can't remember anyone's names right now... centaur girl meet each other at the height of a climactic battle, and the next next chapter has everything back to normal.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Exploiting the otaku market is kind of like oil drilling. In the exploratory phase, you drill for new untapped fetish deposits. At some point you'll strike a productive fetish reserve, which you can exploit until it runs dry. Then you can move on to the next fetish. Since the market for incest was tapped out by around 2011-2012, the new otaku-exploitation frontier has opened up in the necrophilia front.

This is a perfect analogy and I will be keeping it for future use

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wow. Then again, it's that manga. I would have liked it better if it expanded on the crazy it has already introduced rather than pushing ahead on the crazy front.

DrSunshine posted:

Ah yes, Animonomics 101, I also took that course in college.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 30, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Even odds, but it's definitely one of these.

Or maybe some Frankensteining of both, where the next chapter ends with startled recognition on their faces as class rep. and... oh my, I can't remember anyone's names right now... centaur girl meet each other at the height of a climactic battle, and the next next chapter has everything back to normal.

The funniest thing is that she's basically a high school girl who does ceremonial archery but in this world she just wrecks everyone's poo poo. Grabbing arrows out of the air, running on walls, taking on an army by herself.

She's Neo, is what I'm saying. She's in the Matrix.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The best demon lord is back.

I guess this is the natural progression of the zombie fetish :hb:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More Flying Witch.

Not much actual witchcraft but there are radishes and Fonzie impressions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

The best demon lord is back.

I guess this is the natural progression of the zombie fetish :hb:

Yep, there's no bones about it, we are certainly on the bleeding-edge of the necrophilia exploitation front. :yohoho:

Grey World, a one-shot by (my) favorite manga artist, Yukito Kishiro of Battle Angel Alita fame. The surreal imagery is fantastic.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Centaur's Worries is probably the only manga that has two entirely distinct reasons for being in this thread.

edti: I sure wonder how Class Rep subdued that northern kingdom. Did she flap her wings so hard that the wind blew everyone's weapons out of their hands?

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Carpator Diei posted:

Centaur's Worries is probably the only manga that has two entirely distinct reasons for being in this thread.

edti: I sure wonder how Class Rep subdued that northern kingdom. Did she flap her wings so hard that the wind blew everyone's weapons out of their hands?

She's used to keeping children in line and is smart with modern ideas. I imagine hers was a much less confrontational takeover.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

To be fair, they are 2 for 2 so far with the non-Stay Puff Marshmallow armageddon answer to "Are you a god?"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like the class rep has more important things to worry about than ruling some medieval/fantasy kingdom:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Looks like the class rep has more important things to worry about than ruling some medieval/fantasy kingdom:

Carpator Diei posted:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm kind of impressed by Centaur's Worries sometimes. The author has managed to create a weirdly fleshed out almost-normal world. Explaining stuff to literal babies avoids "as you know" exposition, and there are some bizarrely sobering moments, like the reveal that the Class Rep's father is a deadbeat or accounts of civil unrest that don't stray too far into fantasy-racism.

Of course, every now and then a chapter comes along like the alien one earlier that just confuses the hell out of me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Voynich Hotel. Looks like the Yakuza finally caught up with tattoo dude and gave him a good ol' finger clipping. Didn't get to finish the job before being obliterated by maid loli, though. Also, Mazinger out of nowhere

Some badass struggling on his part at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hmm, I'm starting to get an inkling of why the demons were scared shitless of witches.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this really won't end well. Dowman isn't averse to happy endings, but one thing he never lets up on is that actions have consequences.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread