Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Copper Vein posted:

What's the correct way to bloom my grounds in a clever coffee dripper?

Every time I try to gently push the grounds around in a little bit of water in the bottom of the filter, the filter ends up tearing and I end up with grounds in my cup.

If I don't probe around in there, the grounds won't get evenly dampened.

I pour in about 75-100ml in and let it absorb into the grounds and swirl the ccd around a bit to ensure all of it gets soaked. No spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BraveUlysses posted:

I pour in about 75-100ml in and let it absorb into the grounds and swirl the ccd around a bit to ensure all of it gets soaked. No spoon.

Yup. And honestly, only really recently roasted coffee needs a bloom in the CCD.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Man, I finally have my V60 rig and I'm so glad. As someone who prefers brightness and flavor clarity in my cup, my CCD wasn't doing it enough for me.

I'm drinking a Cup of Excellence Guatemala from Portland Roasting right now -- I think I accidentally poured an extra 10g of water and I'm still getting the pouring motion fluidity right, but it's delicious. I used Intelligentsia's recommendation of 26g coffee to a final weight of 415g in water.

Quick question -- what's the best tool to stir with? I've been using spoons for a while but find that after using them, it picks up some grinds out of the filter. But I suppose that's inevitable? Am I better off using something like a stir stick?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Bamboo skewers, halved.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Man, I finally have my V60 rig and I'm so glad. As someone who prefers brightness and flavor clarity in my cup, my CCD wasn't doing it enough for me.

I'm drinking a Cup of Excellence Guatemala from Portland Roasting right now -- I think I accidentally poured an extra 10g of water and I'm still getting the pouring motion fluidity right, but it's delicious. I used Intelligentsia's recommendation of 26g coffee to a final weight of 415g in water.

Quick question -- what's the best tool to stir with? I've been using spoons for a while but find that after using them, it picks up some grinds out of the filter. But I suppose that's inevitable? Am I better off using something like a stir stick?

Why are you stirring in a V60? You really only need to stir in immersion brewing methods.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

rockcity posted:

Why are you stirring in a V60? You really only need to stir in immersion brewing methods.

Various videos I've seen online by premier roasters say to stir the bloom. If I don't need to stir, that's even better.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Various videos I've seen online by premier roasters say to stir the bloom. If I don't need to stir, that's even better.

Yeah, I've never stirred and I've never actually seen a video where they say to. Just slowly pour enough water to soak the top of the grounds and it will filter down through them and let that sit for 30 seconds. Then just continue on with your pourover.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I've never stirred and I've never actually seen a video where they say to. Just slowly pour enough water to soak the top of the grounds and it will filter down through them and let that sit for 30 seconds. Then just continue on with your pourover.

Awesome.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I don't stir my v60 either. Sometimes I'll scrape the grounds off the side of the filter because I pulse pour.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've found that I prefer the flavor when I stir but it's very possible that that's entirely placebo.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Any agitation with a v60 should come from the pour and the ridges on the side, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else saying to stir

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Any agitation with a v60 should come from the pour and the ridges on the side, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else saying to stir

:shrug: I've seen at least three or four different folks recommending a stir during the bloom. If you google "v60 stir" you'll find plenty of examples.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

dik-dik posted:

:shrug: I've seen at least three or four different folks recommending a stir during the bloom. If you google "v60 stir" you'll find plenty of examples.

Yeah. Intelligentsia's video says to "stir the bloom like a bandit."

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's a trick - bandits are known for never stirring :ninja:

I may try stirring mine this weekend

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, ultimately with something as subjective as the flavor of your cup of coffee, you should do what produces, for you, the best cup of coffee. If you find stirring makes you enjoy your cup more, then stir! If it doesn't, then don't! Beyond the basics like: using fresh, properly roasted coffee, using a good grinder, etc, you really have a lot of freedom and flexibility to try out different methods.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:smug:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

"Coffee" needs to be larger font. i was trying to figure out if this stuff tasted like licking a pilot, a geisha, or a mercedes benz.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

hi guys, I just recently got an aeropress and find that it makes coffee much better than my drip machine or my french press

using the same grounds in all three - only difference is coarseness of the grind

has someone in the past 182 pages posited on the reason for aeropress being such a baller in the coffee world? seriously, just making an americano with it is some of the best coffee I've ever had at home

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Synathaesia posted:

hi guys, I just recently got an aeropress and find that it makes coffee much better than my drip machine or my french press

using the same grounds in all three - only difference is coarseness of the grind

has someone in the past 182 pages posited on the reason for aeropress being such a baller in the coffee world? seriously, just making an americano with it is some of the best coffee I've ever had at home

First thing I think is that it's filtered better so it's a cleaner cup. Also the temperature control / brew time is better and shorter in my aeropress than my rubbish old drip machine as well so you don't end up with weirdly extracted rubbish

E: keep in mind I'm very new to trying to brew decent coffee so my first impression/thought doesn't carry as much weight as many posters in this thread

Jon Von Anchovi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 2, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Synathaesia posted:

loving magic, thats why.

Really tho you should try a fine grind for the aeropress not a coarse grind. It gets better.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Also the aeropress makes strong coffee, not espresso, despite what the box says :eng101:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

Also the aeropress makes strong coffee, not espresso, despite what the box says :eng101:

I mean, in theory if you found a way to get 9 psi of pressure on that thing you could probably make something close to espresso but that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Please, someone try this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I mean, in theory if you found a way to get 9 psi of pressure on that thing you could probably make something close to espresso but that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

What you're describing is basically the Rok Presso, which IIRC someone in this thread has and likes.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
I have a ROK but it's the only device I have for making espresso and I have not put a lot of time into it. The few people I have tested the ROK on said it tasted good.
When I get a good tamper and an RO system in my house to clean up my horrible tap water I plan on putting some time into learning how to use it properly.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

What you're describing is basically the Rok Presso, which IIRC someone in this thread has and likes.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the Rok is a pretty great manual espresso machine. What I meant is, actually putting 9 psi of pressure on the (plastic) AeroPress itself sounds like a bad idea.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, from what I've heard, the Rok is a pretty great manual espresso machine. What I meant is, actually putting 9 psi of pressure on the (plastic) AeroPress itself sounds like a bad idea.
If 9 whole pounds of pressure per square inch would shatter it, I'd hate to see what 130 psi would do to it!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know this is the coffee thread, but has anyone tried loose leaf teas in their CCD?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cage posted:

I know this is the coffee thread, but has anyone tried loose leaf teas in their CCD?

It should work fine. There is an almost identical device called the Ingenuitea. Not sure how the filter might affect the tea though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The CCD valve/drain might clog and get stuck open if you tried to run loose leaf tea without any sort of filter, preventing re-steeping. It should work just fine the first time, though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So using a paper filter isnt recommended with tea? Sorry for all the dumb questions I guess I should try do some tea research on my own.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

If 9 whole pounds of pressure per square inch would shatter it, I'd hate to see what 130 psi would do to it!

Eugh eugh eugh I meant bar not PSI. Please don't tell my undergrad chem professors they would cry.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

So using a paper filter isnt recommended with tea? Sorry for all the dumb questions I guess I should try do some tea research on my own.

Nah it's probably ok. Just rinse it good first.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cage posted:

I know some hardcore tea spergs and they would frown on you for this, yeah.

Unless you want to start camping out hand-made clay teaware stamped with the approval of one of the King Tea Spergs though just do w/e.

i actually have such a cup, it was a gift tho so at least i didn't blow $50 on a single clay cup

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Got any links to tea sperglords going at it?

I once saw a decent argument going on over at /r/coffee over whether you should discard the loving bloom water before continuing with the rest of the pour, which is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel for coffee spergery outside of espresso fanatics.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I own three Ingenuiteas, and have for like 7 years. They rule. Just get one.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cage posted:

There's a very similar device to the CCD for tea which has a built in filter. It looks like this. Disclaimer: I know nothing about tea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tea only needs something like a strainer because the chunks of stuff floating around in it are usually a lot bigger than the chunks of stuff floating around in coffee.

Using a paper filter for tea is overkill, but I think the only drawback is that any potential papery flavor coming from the filter will be more noticeable in tea (especially more delicately-flavored teas) than in coffee. If your paper-filtered tea tastes ok to you and you are ok with throwing away filters for every cup of tea (instead of a one-time purchase of a tea-specific device) then go for it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

There's a very similar device to the CCD for tea which has a built in filter. It looks like this. Disclaimer: I know nothing about tea.
Or this:

Alleric posted:

I own three Ingenuiteas, and have for like 7 years. They rule. Just get one.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there such a thing as a decent value bean? Safeway? Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
IIRC Costco has roasters in most of their stores and the freshness counts for a lot. I haven't had a member ship in years, though, so I've never tried it in my V60, only in drip and syphon.