Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

I gotta admit, I didn't like him at first, but that DJ has some killer beats.

And he's so subtle in his mixes, like a ninja or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

And why would you even use a staff if you've been training in boxing? Nothing about what she did made any sense.

If only this was addressed in dialogue.

quote:

Also Felicity's sudden nano-quantum-electrical microchip engineering skills. Why is she working as a personal assistant again?

If only this was addressed in dialogue.

And also set dressing.

And hell probably on an official website somewhere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, if they keep giving Routh lines like the one about lasers in this episode, I'd be entirely OK with the Atom spin-off that's been floated. Dude is hilarious at delivering that stuff.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Oracle posted:

Except the actor has the physicality to back it up. Laurel's actress doesn't. She was swinging that staff like a baseball bat, it looked painfully stupid and awkward and unwieldy. And why would you even use a staff if you've been training in boxing? Nothing about what she did made any sense.

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison if he didn't talk to the 'one of the aldermen has a pacemaker that has to be recharged(?!)' I mean I'm nothing like a cardiologist but seriously? Also Felicity's sudden nano-quantum-electrical microchip engineering skills. Why is she working as a personal assistant again? Maybe one of those howlers an episode I'd be able to overlook but one right after another, sheesh.

She could have been bluffing. Its not like this show has a history of being completely incompetent when it comes to understanding how the legal system works

...oh...wait

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gaz-L posted:

Also, if they keep giving Routh lines like the one about lasers in this episode, I'd be entirely OK with the Atom spin-off that's been floated. Dude is hilarious at delivering that stuff.

I will always think of him as "the Superman from that one movie".

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't stand Laurel, but I am also under no illusion that Sara was a great character.

The actress is awesome, but the Sara-Ollie drama was Huntress bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oracle posted:

Except the actor has the physicality to back it up. Laurel's actress doesn't. She was swinging that staff like a baseball bat, it looked painfully stupid and awkward and unwieldy. And why would you even use a staff if you've been training in boxing? Nothing about what she did made any sense.

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison if he didn't talk to the 'one of the aldermen has a pacemaker that has to be recharged(?!)' I mean I'm nothing like a cardiologist but seriously? Also Felicity's sudden nano-quantum-electrical microchip engineering skills. Why is she working as a personal assistant again? Maybe one of those howlers an episode I'd be able to overlook but one right after another, sheesh.

There are rechargeable pacemakers bro.

Also with all the work they did to show how bad Laurel is at Canarying at this point, of course she's not going to look pro with that staff.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm disappointed Oliver was just better after a couple of stitches and some penicillin. I was hoping for full on Lazarus Pit magic or something. Instead we get ah, just some bandaids! That'll fix your punctured lung.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They never actually explained what was done to make him better. This is preferred to talking about herbs or something.

I did see a mortar and pestle though so...

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
DJ Douchebag was trained in the art of the mix in Nanda Parbeats.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beats By Ras(tm)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Azhais posted:

Beats By Ras(tm)

If you break the warranty on your headphones, Ras stabs you and pushes you off a mountain.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Oracle posted:

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison

What was cringe-worthy about this? I took it as Laurel wanting to threaten a law-ignorant thug to get what she wants. You could say it makes her a bad person - it does give me the impression that she's willing to bend the rules to get what she wants now - but I see this as the character being bad, not the show.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

imperialparadox posted:

What was cringe-worthy about this? I took it as Laurel wanting to threaten a law-ignorant thug to get what she wants. You could say it makes her a bad person - it does give me the impression that she's willing to bend the rules to get what she wants now - but I see this as the character being bad, not the show.

Seriously, dude's never watched The Wire.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gaz-L posted:

And he's so subtle in his mixes, like a ninja or something.

Ra's was impressed by his deep cuts

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They totally established that Laurel was only using a staff to be more like Sara and that the police brutality stick was far more suited to her, but I did feel like they were missing a scene where Laurel goes "Okay fine this weapon was a bad idea, let me try this other thing instead." Like, y'know, this, but with a nightstick instead.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

zoux posted:

Also with all the work they did to show how bad Laurel is at Canarying at this point, of course she's not going to look pro with that staff.

Seriously. Every complaint about that sounds ridiculous to me, because in no way is the show saying Laurel is actually good at this stuff. Roy isn't even good at it, he's just comparatively better. I mean, their co-op mission to save hostages ended with Canary face-planting on the roof of a van and Brickwell shooting a hostage in the face. They're bad at this.

And Felicity's tacit endorsement hardly means she's all-in. She just realized that *someone* had to do it, and Black Canary is all they've got. It's also why she reversed course with Ray; the need for an Arrow figure is there even if the Arrow isn't, so she might as well help the people willing to do it in his stead.

I'm kind of into this plotline, because it really hammers the Batman sense that wearing a costume to fight crime is *insane*. Also, it's going to be really badass when Ollie returns and wrecks poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Azhais posted:

Beats By Ras(tm)

"I have replaced Evil, with Death. And EDM."

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wonder if his League name is Dark Smoke Puncher?*

*assuming anyone else reads The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

VDay posted:

"I have replaced Evil, with Death. And EDM."

"I drop the bass and my enemies off cliffs"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xealot posted:

Seriously. Every complaint about that sounds ridiculous to me, because in no way is the show saying Laurel is actually good at this stuff. Roy isn't even good at it, he's just comparatively better. I mean, their co-op mission to save hostages ended with Canary face-planting on the roof of a van and Brickwell shooting a hostage in the face. They're bad at this.

And Felicity's tacit endorsement hardly means she's all-in. She just realized that *someone* had to do it, and Black Canary is all they've got. It's also why she reversed course with Ray; the need for an Arrow figure is there even if the Arrow isn't, so she might as well help the people willing to do it in his stead.

I'm kind of into this plotline, because it really hammers the Batman sense that wearing a costume to fight crime is *insane*. Also, it's going to be really badass when Ollie returns and wrecks poo poo.

Yeah people bitching about "uuuh self defense training much?" are ridiculous because if she had shown an ounce of competency they'd be bitching about how unrealistic it was that she was any good at this after a little bit of training.

There are a ton of people who have decided Laurel is terrible and will whine about everything she does in the show regardless of the actual quality or development of the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xealot posted:

Yeah, this Brick story is either ending with Ray, Roy and Laurel coming together to beat him, or with an out-of-nowhere "DANIEL BRICKWELL! YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Thea and Chase, Merlyn and some other league assassins start fighting in the middle of an open club night, and Vanilla Ice is there, and takes over the DJ booth to start singing "Go ninja go ninja go!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Barry's mind in Ollie's body is how Felicity is supposed to describe him.

Ollie's mind in Barry's body is how we get Roy. :downs:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I hope Thea and Chase, Merlyn and some other league assassins start fighting in the middle of an open club night, and Vanilla Ice is there, and takes over the DJ booth to start singing "Go ninja go ninja go!"

It'd still only be the second-best reference to that movie this century.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gaz-L posted:

It'd still only be the second-best reference to that movie this century.

...what was the first :stare:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMeqlyORegg

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bad Moon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-lT1oOU7b4

edit: well i never saw that first one :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:stonk: why is he dressed like Luigi?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Bad Moon posted:

:stonk: why is he dressed like Luigi?

You act like that's even a question.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I completely understand the direction we're going in making Laurel even worse than Roy because she's just starting out as a vigilante. I just find it hilarious because S1 is still fresh in my mind since I marathoned S1 and S2 in the fall so it's amusing to me that they've quietly forgotten all of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcM-zfYEGq4. I guess the moral of the story is the S2 drug binge was worse than we all thought!

Man I completely forgot Deathlok was in S1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Should have checked the shotgun first.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, I can see how she...feels?...more competent in season 1 but she doesn't actually fight a bodyguard in that first scene and every other scene ends in her getting schooled in some way. That last one is particularly embarrassing 'cuz she literally goes "Bet ya didn't expect me to be so badass huh?...ohnoz my gun jammed! :saddowns:"

I definitely remember spending much of season 1 thinking "This is supposed to be our Black Canary? Miles to go, etc." and I actually prefer what they're doing with her now more.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

hangedman1984 posted:

She could have been bluffing. Its not like this show has a history of being completely incompetent when it comes to understanding how the legal system works

...oh...wait

I don't see how this was incompetence, she was just being blatantly corrupt, as fits her current "total lack of any regard for law" character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of felt these episodes missed the opportunity to bring back Wildcat.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

BrianWilly posted:

They totally established that Laurel was only using a staff to be more like Sara and that the police brutality stick was far more suited to her, but I did feel like they were missing a scene where Laurel goes "Okay fine this weapon was a bad idea, let me try this other thing instead." Like, y'know, this, but with a nightstick instead.

Maybe we'll get there. I thought her explanation that Starling City criminals are already afraid of the Canary (because of Sara) and that she's trying to take advantage of that actually makes a lot of sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also fits into the show's opening voiceover: "To the city, I am someone else... something else."

Oliver's become a symbol, as the Arrow. Laurel and Roy are trying to use the same symbolism to cover for their shortcomings.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought Wildcat was training her in MMA for whatever reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's an MMA fighter but all we've seen them do is boxing.

From all those pictures she posted, Katie Cassidy might be training harder than Laurel is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hangedman1984 posted:

...oh...wait

I bet she filed the wrong paperwork anyways and that guy is now dead.

• Locked thread