Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Marathon Double Dare and see the Impact Zone in a happier, more prosperous time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Marathon Double Dare and see the Impact Zone in a happier, more prosperous time.

Wait, that's the same studio? :laffo:

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Everblight posted:

Nothing would make them happier than offering the product for free and putting ads on (and keeping 100% of the ad revenue). Other companies are keeping a close loving eye on the WWE Network, because individual taste-based streaming services are coming

This better have Pete & Pete

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait, that's the same studio? :laffo:

It was actually the second, smaller, Impact Zone after they downgraded in 2013. I think the newest version of the IZ that they're going to this year is the same size or smaller.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Take the Physical Challenge.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Holy poo poo, they also filmed GUTS there. That was my jam.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't know if anyone esle agrees with me but the creation of Mizdow is probably the greatest thing WWE creative has come up with in 2014 and continually in 2015.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Anime Curator posted:

I don't know if anyone esle agrees with me but the creation of Mizdow is probably the greatest thing WWE creative has come up with in 2014 and continually in 2015.

Reminds me of how Team Hell No did so well too. Plus the slow burn of Mizdow breaking out of his stunt double role more and more to outshine the Miz is just gold.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Anime Curator posted:

No you're right

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Holy poo poo, they also filmed GUTS there. That was my jam.

hahaha i was just saying on twitter that tna should've bought the aggro crag

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

TNA would be so much better with slime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lazer posted:

Reminds me of how Team Hell No did so well too. Plus the slow burn of Mizdow breaking out of his stunt double role more and more to outshine the Miz is just gold.

I'm torn on if it's awful or hilarious when he does Miz's DDT spot. Like, Miz has the guy on his knees because he's really short for a wrestler, Sandow's a lot taller, so he has to awkwardly bend down for it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Joey McChrist posted:

hahaha i was just saying on twitter that tna should've bought the aggro crag

I never knew how badly I need to see the next Feast or Fired take place on the aggro crag or them having to do the Invisible Boat to get to the cases

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
If only Lucha Underground filmed there. Dario could have Olmec as his enforcer golem.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

cronox2 posted:

If only Lucha Underground filmed there. Dario could have Olmec as his enforcer golem.

General Manager of Lucha Underground Olmec?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

John Quixote posted:

If the stories are correct ICP are much more honest businessmen than most people in the wrestling business.

There's the story where Terry Funk got mad at them when ICP called one of his matches on a DVD, then they went to Funk's house and gave him an envelope of $2000 cash, for one.

edit: Also, I only have the ICP YouShoot preview to go off of but they seem like actual fun and hilarious people. "I dropped out in the ninth grade, I will clearly admit I have no idea how the gently caress magnets work!"

My sister was an ICP fan for a time because of her then-boyfriend, so I'm more familiar with some of their work than most. If we separate out tastes for musical styles (which are completely arbitrary), when the ICP aren't rapping about 'stories' (like their 'Echo Side' song) or traditional stuff like women and drugs, their songs have a very heavy 'revenge on those who wronged me' vibe (Hell, I got her an ICP comic, and the basic plot was 'The Punisher with magic clown powers'). I suspect this attracts a certain kind of people who DO take the work, and themselves, very seriously, to protect themselves from the pain they'd suffered in past ostracization, and become aggressive in defending it, hence ICP gets defined by their more extreme fans.

Also, they tend to be immature more often than not (Case in point: Where they overdubbed commentary on wrestling events and when Mick Foley in his Cactus Jack gimmick came out, they declared he was 'Cactus Sac', whose father was 'Prickly Balls', or the time where they tried so hard to call a wrestler fat that they ended up going on for like nine seconds tripping over their words in a 'I find this SO FUNNY and hence cannot stop' sense.)

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Jiro posted:

General Manager of Lucha Underground Olmec?

"You could race up into Dario's office, spin his chair, and pass into the room of the Golden Championship Belts..."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So is there a way I can get some sweet free wwe network in Canada if I don't have cable? Will a Rogers cell account work? (cause it did for the free NHL promotion)

Lloyd Braun
Jan 14, 2010
Nope. I tried to pay for the Rumble... would've shelled out $55 if I could. But, because of no cable account and WWE's refusal to let Canadians pay for their content over the web, I ended up with lovely pirate streams. Got some "please take my money, Vince!" jokes out of it, but... small comfort.

For those who don't know, cable companies in Canada have a territory system / cartel just like Comcast and Time Warner in the States. Along with half the country, I'm in a Shaw territory, so it's impossible to get the Network here without VPNs and an American account. After all the attention around the UK delays, I'm surprised that this hasn't recieved its fair share of bitching.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well Canada is Bizarro-land and all your fans are wrong and morally bankrupt for cheering dastardly fiends like Bret Hart and La Resistance, why would Vince want to supply you with the Network? You'll just use it to watch wrestling wrong! :bahgawd:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lloyd Braun posted:

For those who don't know, cable companies in Canada have a territory system / cartel just like Comcast and Time Warner in the States. Along with half the country, I'm in a Shaw territory, so it's impossible to get the Network here without VPNs and an American account. After all the attention around the UK delays, I'm surprised that this hasn't recieved its fair share of bitching.

:canada: here, I signed up with Paypal at launch and used a VPN until they stopped region blocking after the NetPak launch. I'm not sure if the signup process has changed since the initial launch, but a bunch of us Canadians managed to get things working with minimal difficulty.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Quixote posted:

If the stories are correct ICP are much more honest businessmen than most people in the wrestling business.

There's the story where Terry Funk got mad at them when ICP called one of his matches on a DVD, then they went to Funk's house and gave him an envelope of $2000 cash, for one.

edit: Also, I only have the ICP YouShoot preview to go off of but they seem like actual fun and hilarious people. "I dropped out in the ninth grade, I will clearly admit I have no idea how the gently caress magnets work!"

ICP pay their talent but not paying a guy royalties and only doing so when he gets angry isn't honest business. They do a lot of shady stuff with their various promotional activities and their wrestling features a lot of death match stuff. They are carny as gently caress. That's fine.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I thought the network did roll out an online version in Canada in the last month or so. Something like 13 dollars/month iirc?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Would Hola work to get the network in the Disputed Territories? It's super easy to use

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lloyd Braun posted:

I'm in a Shaw territory, so it's impossible to get the Network here without VPNs and an American account.

Most of your post was correct but they dropped the region blocking so it's a lot easier to use the Network in Canada now.

You do need to sign up for an American account but the free Hola browser plugin and a fake American address will suffice for that. For the actual streaming I just made a U.S. iTunes login, switched my Apple TV to the American iTunes store and it works just like normal without a VPN. I used a Canadian Visa card to pay for the account, after the exchange rate and fees it cost $13.86 or so.

I live in BC so it's Shaw territory out here. I couldn't buy Rogers lovely gimped version of the network if I wanted to.

Lloyd Braun
Jan 14, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

I thought the network did roll out an online version in Canada in the last month or so. Something like 13 dollars/month iirc?

It requires a Rogers account, and asks you for your Rogers username/password in order to sign up... even for online only.

Yeah, I should have done the VPN thing by now, especially if you only need it for signup. Made the decision to wait when it first launched in the US and was coming to Canada "soon", then made the decision to wait when it was TV only with no online component, and now I suppose I'm waiting by default. I guess the free month is a good enough reason to stop being a lazy rear end.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Blasmeister posted:

Last I heard it's still the lovely TV channel version, but it's irrelevant to me anyway cause it requires Rogers cable which is only available in eastern Canada. Less than 20% of Canadians get their cable through Rogers so signing an exclusive deal with them seemed pretty dumb. Also lol having cable in TYOOL 2015.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

MassRafTer posted:

ICP pay their talent but not paying a guy royalties and only doing so when he gets angry isn't honest business. They do a lot of shady stuff with their various promotional activities and their wrestling features a lot of death match stuff. They are carny as gently caress. That's fine.

Well their thing was that they were just doing an MST3K thing with the Stranglemania tapes and didn't mean to make the guy mad and when they did they were like "Oh, man, we didn't mean it like that, here. We're sorry." It wasn't... exactly "honest" but it wasn't meant to be malicious at the same time. And this is coming from a couple of guys that, as you said, are carny as gently caress.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

And this is coming from a couple of guys that, as you said, are carny as gently caress.
They literally self-identify as "the Dark Carnival," so yeah, they're a bit carny. Still, they pay their talent on time.

I saw ICP in a match in WCW a while ago on the Network; Shaggy 2 Dope did a passable moonsault. They were better than the average celeb, I'd put them in the top-tier with Snooki in terms of performance by non-wrestlers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
All I know is I'm watching El-freaking-Generico vs Claudio-goddamn-Castagnoli streamed to my livingroom with WWE production values and not in a dark broom closet. :woop:

Ain't technology grand?

Edit:

Everblight posted:

I'd put them in the top-tier with Snooki in terms of performance by non-wrestlers.

Kevin Federline continues to be underrated. The best celeb performer ever. :colbert:

Good call with that one. K-Fed appreciation station in this thread.
VVVVVV

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 29, 2015

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Everblight posted:

They literally self-identify as "the Dark Carnival," so yeah, they're a bit carny. Still, they pay their talent on time.

I saw ICP in a match in WCW a while ago on the Network; Shaggy 2 Dope did a passable moonsault. They were better than the average celeb, I'd put them in the top-tier with Snooki in terms of performance by non-wrestlers.

I still think K-Fed could have been a top heel if he wasn't more interested in being fat and a dad. He was so good!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also, they tend to be immature more often than not (Case in point: Where they overdubbed commentary on wrestling events and when Mick Foley in his Cactus Jack gimmick came out, they declared he was 'Cactus Sac', whose father was 'Prickly Balls', or the time where they tried so hard to call a wrestler fat that they ended up going on for like nine seconds tripping over their words in a 'I find this SO FUNNY and hence cannot stop' sense.)

That sounds bad rear end.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Everblight posted:

I'm pretty sure they're actually trained wrestlers (trained in the early 90s and worked indies before the ICP stuff), at least one of them are at least.

Also the first Stranglemania tape is loving hilarious. I watched it a little while ago and still laughed my rear end off.

Lord Noodle
Jun 10, 2003

I'm Gumby, Dammit!

Alain Post posted:

That sounds bad rear end.

When I was 15, it was probably the funniest thing I had ever seen. I assume I would still get a chuckle out of it. And for what it's worth, I always assumed ICP payed for the rights to be able to dub over those matches. Unless Terry Funk owned the rights to those matches, ICP paying him anything for any reason seems pretty admirable.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Everblight posted:

Wait, snooki as in that Jersey Shore girl?? Where can I find this on the network???

On the subject of celeb wrestlers does anyone know if any of The Misfits WCW matches are on the network?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wait, snooki as in that Jersey Shore girl?? Where can I find this on the network???

On the subject of celeb wrestlers does anyone know if any of The Misfits WCW matches are on the network?

She worked a match at a Wrestlemania a few years ago. 27, maybe? She was about as good as you could expect, and managed the handspring elbow spot, mostly because she used to cheerlead in high school, I believe.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wrestlemania 27

as for the misfits i believe you can watch them wrestle Dr. Death in a cage match at Starrcade 99 which is one hell of a show

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Snooki was in a Wrestlemania celebrity match with known mark Maria Menunos and was actually pretty good. Better than any Kelly Kelly performance I've ever seen

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Everblight posted:

Snooki was in a Wrestlemania celebrity match with known mark Maria Menunos and was actually pretty good. Better than any Kelly Kelly performance I've ever seen

no Menunos was at Wrestlemania 28 and Eve's makeup/tanner rubbed off on her white pants so it looked like she poo poo herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Sweet, I'm actually working my way through the wrestlemania's from the start maybe I'll jump ahead out of morbid curiosity, Jersey Shore is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

• Locked thread