Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SubponticatePoster posted:

e: ^^^ :stonk:

I think that's actually on the To Do list. Which will be goddamn awesome. (Actually now that I think about it the designation they're looking at is common carrier)

Common carrier is quite a bit different than being a public utility, but would help to curb the power of ISPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joeburz posted:

Like prosecuting him for war crimes is a nice target but it avoids the fact that the entire american political scene for decades(arguably centuries) has not given two shits about killing tons of people in other countries for no real good reason.

Pretty much. The American Political Institution was hard on for fighting communism anywhere and everywhere. Had it not been Kissinger, it would've been someone else doing the same thing.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

I love the "Jesus is still alive so he's a better deity than Muhammad take THAT" line. As if every major religion doesn't believe their central religious figures are still alive in some paradise.

By this logic, the best religion is any of the Shiite sects that believe in occultation

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Regarding McCain and Kissinger, I don't know much about what Kissinger did that would be considered a war crime (not saying it didn't happen, I just don't know much about Kissinger's past beyond it involving Vietnam and occasional Colbert cameos.). Can someone recommend reading on the subject?

Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon, and the Destruction of Cambodia is a bit dry and not the most recent work on the subject, but I found it a good read.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There is something truly amazing that after basically wiping out democrats in the 2014 election, the republicans I know thought that this would be the year of dealing with issues such as abortion and keystone. The abortion 20 week ban did not even go to a vote and now Keystone flopped. You also have what looks like a solid pass through of the new AG and while it is awful conservatives won so much, seeing this blow up in their face is just incredible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There is something truly amazing that after basically wiping out democrats in the 2014 election, the republicans I know thought that this would be the year of dealing with issues such as abortion and keystone. The abortion 20 week ban did not even go to a vote and now Keystone flopped. You also have what looks like a solid pass through of the new AG and while it is awful conservatives won so much, seeing this blow up in their face is just incredible.

This is nice to think but remember, nothing getting passed is a victory for them. They really ran on no policy issues other than hatred of Obama.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

now Keystone flopped.

It's going to pass the Senate by the end of the day, today.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

These are the same people mind that accidentally walked into Obama pulling a dipshit move like significant cuts on social security and instead of taking such a offer were like "nah we want more" and came out with nothing.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
If international justice meant anything then Kissinger would be on trial, along with any surviving people who took part in the secret bombings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

baw posted:

If international justice meant anything then Kissinger would be on trial, along with any surviving people who took part in the secret bombings.

Then you'd have to scrutinize every Executive decision ever made, and nearly every president would be on trial for something.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I'd hope that Kissinger could be prosecuted without setting any precedents that could be used to convict other presidents, he really did some blatantly and specifically unconstitutional stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some new announcements from Obama and federal agencies this week:

1) Obama said he won't sign any bill with Chained CPI for Social Security in the rest of his presidency.
2) Obama wants the next budget to lift mandatory spending caps and end sequestration.
3) Obama wants the next hate crimes and workplace protection bills to include trans people.
4) Federal employees will not get anymore wage freezes.
5) Obama wants to increase the budget by 7%.
6) Obama will veto any bill funding the DHS that attaches conditions limiting his executive authority on immigration.
7) The FCC is going to target and dismantle state laws that ban municipal fiber-optic / broadband networks. (This is going to get tied up in court for at least the next year or two)
8) Julian Castro is starting a new push at HUD to spend the funds set aside to aid homeowners with underwater mortgages. The process has been streamlined and HUD is reaching out to likely recipients. The program was a failure after billions were set aside in 2009 to aid homeowners, but the program was not well known or well organized and only about 10% of the funds were claimed.
9) New AG Nominee is likely to be confirmed soon; this is probably Eric Holder's last week as AG.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

It is more a Netenyahu thing than an Israeli thing so if he's thrown out I would expect that to reverse.

Brother, you don't know the half of it. Never get Bibi ranting about Obama's race, or else you've got a southern Republican senator on your hands explaining race to you.

E:

Kissinger is an American hero, not a war criminal. He needs another Congressional Medal of Freedom for what hes done.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 29, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Murdering civilians for being communists is evil, Rahm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some new announcements from Obama and federal agencies this week:

1) Obama said he won't sign any bill with Chained CPI for Social Security in the rest of his presidency.
2) Obama wants the next budget to lift mandatory spending caps and end sequestration.
3) Obama wants the next hate crimes and workplace protection bills to include trans people.
4) Federal employees will not get anymore wage freezes.
5) Obama wants to increase the budget by 7%.
6) Obama will veto any bill funding the DHS that attaches conditions limiting his executive authority on immigration.
7) The FCC is going to target and dismantle state laws that ban municipal fiber-optic / broadband networks. (This is going to get tied up in court for at least the next year or two)
8) Julian Castro is starting a new push at HUD to spend the funds set aside to aid homeowners with underwater mortgages. The process has been streamlined and HUD is reaching out to likely recipients. The program was a failure after billions were set aside in 2009 to aid homeowners, but the program was not well known or well organized and only about 10% of the funds were claimed.
9) New AG Nominee is likely to be confirmed soon; this is probably Eric Holder's last week as AG.
That's all good, but I think it came out the other day that he wants an 8% increase in defense?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's all good, but I think it came out the other day that he wants an 8% increase in defense?

Also, Lynch seems worse than Holder on pretty much every issue.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

He was more murdering them to make a point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

An Angry Bug posted:

What is evil? Communist means anti-American. Death to anti-americans is never 'evil', considering that America is a global force for good. Better dead than red, as I say. I think you'll find that to be a pretty mainstream political opinion; show me a politician (other than Sanders) who has something nice to say about commies, and I'll show someone who's losing their election.

Dr. K has reinvented American foreign policy and understands the need to do 'evil' in order to advance 'good' interests.

baw posted:

He was more murdering them to make a point.

While I'd disagree completely that it was murder, yes, we killed communists to make a point and prevent the rise of failed states around the world. Too bad all the drat hippies and peaceniks backstabbed us in the 60s and 70s with their naivity, we could have been in a much improved position to consolidate our gains in the 90s.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 29, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The SMG of D&D, everyone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

You do know that stuff like this is why no one respects your opinion, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

What is evil? Communist means anti-American. Death to anti-americans is never 'evil', considering that America is a global force for good. Better dead than red, as I say. I think you'll find that to be a pretty mainstream political opinion; show me a politician (other than Sanders) who has something nice to say about commies, and I'll show someone who's losing their election.

Dr. K has reinvented American foreign policy and understands the need to do 'evil' in order to advance 'good' interests.

While I'd disagree completely that it was murder, yes, we killed communists to make a point and prevent the rise of failed states around the world. Too bad all the drat hippies and peaceniks backstabbed us in the 60s and 70s with their naivity, we could have been in a much improved position to consolidate our gains in the 90s.

It's only fun when you don't cross the line into obviously ridiculous, MIGF.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Rahm you lazy motherfucker, at least write your own Comcast shilling article instead of regurgitating talking points they sent you.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Also, Lynch seems worse than Holder on pretty much every issue.

... That's an interesting viewpoint to take. What exactly do you think she's worse on?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Common carrier is quite a bit different than being a public utility, but would help to curb the power of ISPs.

With broadband at 25Mbps my bet is that if common carrier classification also happens it means Comcast/ Time Warner is getting approved. But with common carrier rules would that be anyway near as bad?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalman posted:

... That's an interesting viewpoint to take. What exactly do you think she's worse on?

I think she's worse on the death penalty, drug issues and surveillance to start with. (Not that Holder was great on any of those issues but she seems to be to his right on all three going by her recenent statements.)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Kalman posted:

Maybe not worse since Holder was already awful but she's clearly another pro-drug war hack. She distanced herself from even Obama's incredibly tedpid comments on legalization.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

Maybe not worse since Holder was already awful but she's clearly another pro-drug war hack. She distanced herself from even Obama's incredibly tedpid comments on legalization.

Understands how to get confirmed = "pro-drug war hack"

Nominate your perfect communist candidate and see how far they get in the Republican Congress.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Turnquiet posted:

With broadband at 25Mbps my bet is that if common carrier classification also happens it means Comcast/ Time Warner is getting approved. But with common carrier rules would that be anyway near as bad?

Is common carrier the same rules regulating utilities like gas and electricity? I'd take that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jazerus posted:

It's only fun when you don't cross the line into obviously ridiculous, MIGF.

There are still people who believe what he's saying. Vietnam will be a sore spot until at least the generation who fought there have died off, and I predict for quite a while afterward as more than a few modern culture warriors have taken to the Dolchstoßlegende/we didn't REALLY lose narratives something fierce.

Not that he shouldn't stop posting this garbage, and indeed at all.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My Imaginary GF posted:

Understands how to get confirmed = "pro-drug war hack"

Nominate your perfect communist candidate and see how far they get in the Republican Congress.

Dude (relatively) no one cares about weed, that's probably dead last on the issues Republicans would block her confirmation over. She's a former federal prosecutor and federal prosecutors are by and large authoritarians and drug war supporters, this is not particularly surprising. You can take your "just being pragmatic" style of politics and go gently caress yourself, if you want to see what sort of progress that gets for the country just look at the man in your avatar.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

Comcast/time warner is probably going through either way. The broadband at 25 Mbps issue has almost nothing to do with what carriers will actually offer - it simply affects how the FCC defines broadband services which is primarily of interest for the yearly broadband report.

(Common carrier remains a stupid solution to net neutrality, literally using dynamite to catch a single fish.)

mcmagic posted:

I think she's worse on the death penalty, drug issues and surveillance to start with. (Not that Holder was great on any of those issues but she seems to be to his right on all three going by her recenent statements.)

And she's better on financial crimes, police brutality, and political corruption, judging by her actual actions.

She's worse on drug issues, for sure, but I don't think that she's worse enough to go against Obama's wishes on them.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I don't really care about dumb things like weed. Where does she stand on the real issues, you know, arresting cops?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Kalman posted:

Comcast/time warner is probably going through either way. The broadband at 25 Mbps issue has almost nothing to do with what carriers will actually offer - it simply affects how the FCC defines broadband services which is primarily of interest for the yearly broadband report.

It means they lose out on universal service funds for offering a sub par service. It will light a fire under their asses.

Kalman posted:

(Common carrier remains a stupid solution to net neutrality, literally using dynamite to catch a single fish.)

gently caress 'em.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Berke Negri posted:

I don't really care about dumb things like weed. Where does she stand on the real issues, you know, arresting cops?

The drug war destroys orders of magnitude more lives than police brutality does, and much of that brutality occurs during drug war related arrests anyways. What's the point of having nice, friendly cops if they're still operating in an authoritarian police state of a criminal justice system?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There are still people who believe what he's saying. Vietnam will be a sore spot until at least the generation who fought there have died off, and I predict for quite a while afterward as more than a few modern culture warriors have taken to the Dolchstoßlegende/we didn't REALLY lose narratives something fierce.

Not that he shouldn't stop posting this garbage, and indeed at all.

He has stepped out of "believable" and into "caricature" by stating it too baldly, mostly. Yes it's obvious that those are the underlying beliefs of wide swathes of the political class but they are usually slightly more coy about it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

:agreed:

Bring on the Tarkin Doctrine

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

The drug war destroys orders of magnitude more lives than police brutality does, and much of that brutality occurs during drug war related arrests anyways. What's the point of having nice, friendly cops if they're still operating in an authoritarian police state of a criminal justice system?

You can just say 'I don't know but still am mad'.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

quote:

Common carrier remains a stupid solution to net neutrality, literally using dynamite to catch a single fish.)

gently caress 'em.

Who, customers who are going to have to put up with irritating bullshit derived from common carrier obligations to get one small thing that would be better served under 706 regulation? Or customers who are going to be spied upon because common carriers have enhanced CALEA obligations? Or customers who will pay more fees?

Common carrier is a bundle of obligations. One of those is commercial reasonableness in treating traffic equally (which is exactly what the DC Circuit said would be fine to do without needing to go to common carrier). A bunch of others don't make sense, and those will need to be forborn. So we can put them into an incredibly complex regulatory regime derived for voice telcos and then try to make sure we don't apply a lot of things that would have negative impact, or we could apply a simple rule, pre-approved by the DC Circuit, that gets the same thing without the complexity.

Oh, and the reclassification is going to be litigated with a decent chance of failure for the FCC, so enjoy another decade of statutory net neutrality being stayed pending litigation. (It won't matter because the carriers engage in net neutrality in all meaningful ways anyway, and in some cases are obligated to do so under merger conditions.)

Reclassifying broadband services as title II common carriers is a terrible idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

:agreed:

Bring on the Tarkin Doctrine

You will pick another target, a military target, then name the systemCommunists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Is common carrier the same rules regulating utilities like gas and electricity? I'd take that.

Common Carrier would enshrine net neutrality forever and give the EFF nothing to fundraise over ever again.

• Locked thread