Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

charliebravo77 posted:

Shot a couple antelope back in October, finally got around to trying to make some sausage. I winged the recipe, I guess it's merguez inspired, heavy on garlic, hot smoked paprika, shallot, red pepper flake, coriander. Smoked them today to take to a party tonight.

Didn't have any pink salt, but I've ordered some for next time. Will the pink salt help to firm up the texture of the sausage some? If not, what will? It's goddamn delicious, but the texture is a bit grainy I guess. Overmixed before stuffing maybe?

I also got a copy of Charcuterie for xmas so the next batch I'm going to do strictly by the book.

Grainy textures can come from the meat being torn instead of cut by the grinder blades. Did you end up with a lot of pink muck jamming up the grinder? Before you grind, cube up your meat and place it on a sheet pan in the freezer for about 20 minutes. The partially frozen meat will easier to grind and have a better texture.

I would recommend Rytek Kutas' book over Charcuterie for smoked and cured sausage. It's a dead horse, but Ruhlman has some bad math in his book and isn't very concerned about food safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

Also, really spend the time cleaning and trimming the meat before you grind. It only takes a few minutes longer and it will help keep the blades clear of jams, which will help the 'cut-don't-tear' aspect. The first time I did my own sausage grind, I barely bothered to get it down to just meat and fat. Big mistake. Not only was any time I saved not trimming lost on time spent clearing out the grinder, sausages were so grainy they were nearly inedible. Thankfully it was a small batch.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Tripped over this thread a couple weeks ago, and finally managed to stop by a market on the way home from work last night that has pork belly.

Now there's five pounds of it bagged and curing in my fridge. I went with the basic Ruhlman recipe in the OP; I'm already thinking of doing a curry cure next time, and maybe making rillets. Eventually I want to start hanging things that'll be good to take camping and don't need refrigeration.

Anyway, I'll end up heating the bacon-to-be in my oven next week. My housemate inherited a small charcoal smoker from a coworker, but I've never used it before and truth be told, this isn't the time of year I want to spend all afternoon dickering around outside with it for the first time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I went to Zingermans the other day and picked up a ton of cured meats, pate, and cheese for an upcoming lambic tasting - anybody have any recommendations for a nice quality picnic/table knife of some sort?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Hey guys, check your meat grinders, Kitchener 10 and 32 pound manual grinders have been recalled for creating metal shavings.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2015/43185r-eng.php

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was curing some bacon before becoming ill and forgetting about it. I've had to throw it away after about 2 weeks in the cure since it was a pretty horrible shade of green in places. Any reason that it went off by staying in the cure when it would likely have been fine otherwise?

holttho
May 21, 2007

Was it a metallic shade of green? If it was, it could just be an oxidization reaction with the myoglobin in the meat. Same thing happens if you sous vide a piece of beef before searing it.

The other (more likely) problem was it just simply went rancid. Maybe too much air in the bag?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

holttho posted:

Was it a metallic shade of green? If it was, it could just be an oxidization reaction with the myoglobin in the meat. Same thing happens if you sous vide a piece of beef before searing it.

The other (more likely) problem was it just simply went rancid. Maybe too much air in the bag?

Is this why Roast Beef looks rainbow sometimes?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I rinsed my whole ham for equalization yesterday and it had some greenish brown spots. Didn't smell off though so I'm just trudging along with the original plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

holttho posted:

It smelled really, really bad so I tossed it. I pushed the air out the bag but wasn't particularly careful about it since its never been an issue before

holttho
May 21, 2007

goodness posted:

Yea, and it's perfectly safe. If you just sear it, no one will ever know it was there. It has virtually no flavor or texture difference.

Jose posted:

It smelled really, really bad so I tossed it. I pushed the air out the bag but wasn't particularly careful about it since its never been an issue before

Probably just went rancid. Less air next time will definitely help.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

goodness posted:

The iridescent color is due to "structural color", where the microscopic structure of the material causes only certain wavelengths to bounce back to the viewer. I thought it was bad until just recently when my friend studying material science told me about it while trying to explain the structural color based inks he is working on.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

holttho posted:

Probably just went rancid. Less air next time will definitely help.

When doing the bacon from the OP, should I use a vacuum sealer for best results? I made it years ago and it didn't stir my loins but I want to give it my best shot again. Back when I did it I don't think I even though of squeezing the bag completely.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I always get the air out not so much for the lack of air, but rather so the liquid that will come out of the meat will submerge the whole thing. Since the belly is an agricultural product and also how long has it been exposed to the drying effects of air at the processing facility/shop, the amount of liquid that comes out isn't always the same from batch to batch. So if it is on the dry side and only gives up a few tablespoons of liquid, having less air in the bag will allow that small amount to totally encompass the whole belly. Vacuum sealing it would be fine, I usually just fill the sink up with water and do the submerge-seal method; which is ultimately the same thing, but I only have the Food-Saver vacuum thingy, not a chamber sealer.

If you're doing the OP recipe, I would highly recommend doing some sort of smoke and not the oven. Even if it just putting out on a grill for an hour or so with some plain chunk charcoal. (only a tiny bit, you just want the smoke, not the heat) It will do worlds of good for it. Hell, even a glug of liquid smoke in the cure will be pretty good. The curing of a belly does not make bacon. It makes cured belly. It's the smoke makes the bacon. I did the oven-only way the first time and I was like you: unimpressed. But the next one I just threw on a barely firing charcoal grill and it was an eye-opener. And it only gets better from there.

Also, don't feel forced to use belly. If it is prohibitively expensive or just simply unavailable, you can use shoulder. Farmers have been making cottage bacon out of shoulders since forever. Just slice it down to 1.5" slabs, cure and smoke as usual. Just make sure you get a good, fatty one. Too lean and it isn't as good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I use pork loin because its on sale all the time and all the belly seems to have very little meat

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Finally started some bacon from the pig I got from my little brothers. I cut a six-pound belly in half and did one with maple syrup, Maker's Mark, and a little black pepper. The other is red pepper, fresh garlic, bay leaf, cilantro, and tequila.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Martello posted:

...The other is ....tequila.

Why did you have to ruin a good thing?
=(

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bone_Enterprise posted:

=(

I love drinking it so I figured it was worth the experiment.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

My first dabble into dried meats. Pancetta stesa with black pepper, juniper, nutmeg, sugar, salt, and Cure 2! It turned out very well and it tastes awesome. I have never had pancetta before, and I didn't feel like paying $25.00/lb for it

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

would

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most definitely

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Found a butcher with

3.50/lb frozen pork belly
16/lb frozen duck breasts

Good deal on the belly right? Idk about the duck as I have not bought it before.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Found a butcher with

3.50/lb frozen pork belly
16/lb frozen duck breasts

Good deal on the belly right? Idk about the duck as I have not bought it before.

Duck doesn't seem special but buy all the belly he will sell you.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

99 ranch market in Rowland Heights had belly for 2.99/lb a few weeks ago.

I bought like 5 bellies lol

They also routinely have "stewing ducks" for 1.69/lb

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Duck doesn't seem special but buy all the belly he will sell you.

I guess it should last a long time frozen. I may go back and grab 10-20lbs. tomorrow.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bone_Enterprise posted:

=(

Tequila bacon turned out delicious, even my wife approved and she hates tequila. The bourbon bacon, apparently I went a little heavy on the bourbon though I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
If anyone is in the central Texas area I am more than willing to sell you guys bellies from my restaurant. I buy cases at a time now so I can get them for about 2.20/lbs right now.

I don't mind trimming one down to the size you need and selling it by the pound to any goon that wants to come and get it. I have 80 lbs in my freezer right now.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If anyone is in the central Texas area I am more than willing to sell you guys bellies from my restaurant. I buy cases at a time now so I can get them for about 2.20/lbs right now.

I don't mind trimming one down to the size you need and selling it by the pound to any goon that wants to come and get it. I have 80 lbs in my freezer right now.

Are you in Austin? This is the most exciting thing that I've ever heard.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am also in Austin, and in desperate need of more belly in my life (that isn't $8.99/lb at Salt and Time).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Im in San Antonio guys.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Martello posted:

Tequila bacon turned out delicious, even my wife approved and she hates tequila. The bourbon bacon, apparently I went a little heavy on the bourbon though I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

I am in that tequila hate zone, so as long as you could not taste said tequila I would like it as well....possibly.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Doom Rooster posted:

I am also in Austin, and in desperate need of more belly in my life (that isn't $8.99/lb at Salt and Time).

Austin East Side: Every penny we don't spend on rent we spend on food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

Austin East Side: Every penny we don't spend on rent we spend on food.

And bike accessories. Don't forget the bike accessories.

Errant Gin Monks, I may definitely be willing to drive all the way down there and back for belly at that price. Thank you very much for the offer. I'll let you know.

VVVVVV I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 4, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Doom Rooster posted:

Try Longhorn Meat Co. on East MLK

Its a no nonsense butcher that I've been going to for years.

Or if you really want to go right for the source J&J Packing Company
http://pork2go.com/index/

They sell to the public and have great pork prices.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

feelz good man posted:

My first dabble into dried meats. Pancetta stesa with black pepper, juniper, nutmeg, sugar, salt, and Cure 2! It turned out very well and it tastes awesome. I have never had pancetta before, and I didn't feel like paying $25.00/lb for it

:stare:

This is pretty fantastic.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Can anyone give me a recommendation for a goon-approved meat grinder? I'll be using it for general grind purposes, but would love to be able to stuff sausage as well.

Preferably something in the sub-$100 price range and available on Amazon (gift cards!)

All the varieties I've looked at have had mostly good reviews, but then a small spatter of really bad reviews, so I'm reticent to choose.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
It depends on what you want, the big factor is if you want manual or electric. I went with a manual because it was cheaper, easier to clean, and all the parts are universal. The downside of course is having to turn that crank and you need a bench to bolt it to. (Because of this, we grind our meat in a dirty, dark basement like some kind of prison movie. :chef: ) An electric model is easier, but more difficult to clean every nook and cranny, and you may need to stick to brand/model specific plates and parts.

If you want to stuff sausage, you'll need a verticle stuffer. A lot of grinders advertise as being dual purpose, but they are garbage at stuffing compared to a verticle stuffer. You just end up with way to many air pockets and an inconsistent "flow."

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I was thinking manual.

http://youtu.be/GQ1J0UNQwI0

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a goon-approved meat grinder? I'll be using it for general grind purposes, but would love to be able to stuff sausage as well.

Preferably something in the sub-$100 price range and available on Amazon (gift cards!)

All the varieties I've looked at have had mostly good reviews, but then a small spatter of really bad reviews, so I'm reticent to choose.
I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

feelz good man posted:

I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

Don't forget to chill/freeze the grinder parts too.

• Locked thread