Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm curious as to what possessed Microsoft to release "gold edition" of the Lumia 930 this late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm curious as to what possessed Microsoft to release "gold edition" of the Lumia 930 this late.

Really?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They may have a lot of 930 internals on stock. If windows 10 wasn't close, it would be a nice replacement for my galaxy s4.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Went to the Microsoft store yesterday to see if they had any cases for the 1520 (was a mall kiosk). Guy said they have none and laughed, saying the 1520 is "over a year old."

I asked him why, then, did Microsoft use it in their Win 10 keynote this week. He said yeah, good point.

This phone is great, but need more flagship guys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, same internals, just a golden frame instead of an aluminium colored one. And some dark purple back model, too.

I'd love me an updated 930 with updated internals, sort of a 931, because I love the design of the phone case, but I don't see that happening sadly. Instead we get a gold edition. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, same internals, just a golden frame instead of an aluminium colored one. And some dark purple back model, too.

I'd love me an updated 930 with updated internals, sort of a 931, because I love the design of the phone case, but I don't see that happening sadly. Instead we get a gold edition. :(

Doesn't the gold color sell well in Asia? I got the sense that was the target market.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If their info is worth anything, it's being released internationally, not just Asia.

http://www.windowscentral.com/special-gold-edition-nokia-lumia-930

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
The clowns at WC predict an early summer flagship. Oh boy!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

At this point I kinda think I'd rather just wait till the fall for a flagship so everything is sorted and polished and the best it can be. Although I guess strategically that might be a bad idea because iOS will again leave WP in the dust and get all the press.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose because the user experience on the phone is way way smaller and simpler, there's less need for visual polish, and as such not unreasonable to ship the phones with an earlier build and update to the RTM build from GA. The core of Windows 10 seems pretty stable. Anecdotally, I've had zero BSODs or memory leak issues with the W10 builds from the slow track.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

At this point I kinda think I'd rather just wait till the fall for a flagship so everything is sorted and polished and the best it can be. Although I guess strategically that might be a bad idea because iOS will again leave WP in the dust and get all the press.

I can press my carrier for a new phone around September again so I really hope they release a good phone, whatever it is a 1030, 1530, 940 or whatever. I'm getting tired of android for my phone because the last few apps I needed to use, stopped working on lollipop.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So, Drastic... the last update of your SA app kind of broke it all for me. Handset is a 925, and I'm getting odd behaviour — first, for some reason it took about 45 minutes to download from the app store :wtc: whereas all other apps work fine, and then things got odder. Log in was fine, but the app does nothing for a few seconds when I hit the back button to go from threads to forums and, even more weirdly, the forums listing for the Discussion section is entirely reversed. IE, it starts with Goons in Platoons and ends with Games stuff (apart from The Firing Range, which is mysteriously appended to the bottom :v: ) The Finer Arts section is reversed too.

So: is my phone haunted?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jeherrin posted:

So, Drastic... the last update of your SA app kind of broke it all for me. Handset is a 925, and I'm getting odd behaviour — first, for some reason it took about 45 minutes to download from the app store :wtc: whereas all other apps work fine, and then things got odder. Log in was fine, but the app does nothing for a few seconds when I hit the back button to go from threads to forums and, even more weirdly, the forums listing for the Discussion section is entirely reversed. IE, it starts with Goons in Platoons and ends with Games stuff (apart from The Firing Range, which is mysteriously appended to the bottom :v: ) The Finer Arts section is reversed too.

So: is my phone haunted?

I can't explain why it would take so long to get it (blame Microsoft I guess?), but the last few updates actually fixed the database stuff I worked on in the release mode (AKA, what you're on). Delete and reinstall. It should work correctly.

If that doesn't work... ehh, I don't know yet.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Was that fix also supposed to fix the issue with not being able to go party a single page of bookmarks as well?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Was that fix also supposed to fix the issue with not being able to go party a single page of bookmarks as well?

What should happen on the bookmarks page is this:

After you sign in and click on the bookmarks page, it will load your bookmarks and save them into the database. Then, when you go back to the bookmarks page from a thread, your bookmarks will still be there. Then, if you refresh, it should not clear the list. It should just update them and remove the ones that are now gone.

If you refresh the bookmarks, and you see a black list, that means it's not pulling from the database at all, and there's a problem. I've been using the release mode build on my dev devices (including the package I send to MS) and everything seems fine on my end.

The main forums list is also loaded into the database, so I don't have to poll it all the time. You should be able to pull down on that list to refresh it as well.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Okay. Reinstalled, with virtually the same behaviour coming back. As before, it's absolutely fine the first time I open the app. Once it's been closed and I reopen it, the bizarre order of the forums returns. Going back from a thread produces about 2 to 3 seconds of hangtime; going back from a subforum to the overview is about a second.

Maybe your newest version hasn't made it to the UK store...? I'm getting version 2015.121.1452.331, last updated 21/01/2015 which, I'm pretty sure, is when I got the update that started producing weird behaviour.

Alternatively, my 925 is playing up. It does have at least one other, uh, idiosyncrasy — App and Settings backup hasn't worked in 5 months. Who knows...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jeherrin posted:

Going back from a thread produces about 2 to 3 seconds of hangtime; going back from a subforum to the overview is about a second.
I can say that I have been experiencing the same hangtime described here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I do occasionally get that black page, but the more irritating thing (aside from not being able to see any bookmarks that aren't on the first page :v:) is how when I back out to the bookmarks page, and auto refresh is turned off, it'll jump me to the top of the bookmarks list (it doesn't refresh though).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I do occasionally get that black page, but the more irritating thing (aside from not being able to see any bookmarks that aren't on the first page :v:) is how when I back out to the bookmarks page, and auto refresh is turned off, it'll jump me to the top of the bookmarks list (it doesn't refresh though).

It's reloading the page so it's not saving your position. It's an option I can change on the page (I think it's already done for the forum thread list itself, just not the bookmarks since before it was on the main forums list page. Now that it's separated I probably never set it to not reload).

BTW I accept pull requests, so if anything annoys or irritates you, by all means change it :v:.

For the "hanging", I personally don't see it but it's probably due to it reloading that page and having to remake the view again. I'll just flip it and see if that takes care of it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

While we're talking about issues with the Awful app, the bookmark page will sometimes shrink and not take up the whole page.

Leaving the bookmark page by either exiting the app or going to the main forum index will usually fix it.

While I'm talking about bookmarks, is it possible to display more than 40 of them? I suppose I should clean out threads I no longer follow but being able to display more would be better.

Also, would it be possible to mark threads as read without having to sync and reload the thread list? I'm not sure if it's my internet connection or how well optimized the app is for that operation but the auto-syncing feature takes a little too long to work after leaving a thread. I'm not sure how the Android app does it but it automatically marks a thread as read after leaving the thread without any noticeable delay after leaving.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to selectively preload threads. Again I don't know if it's my internet connection or how optimized the app is but going from the thread list to the thread itself feels slow. Something I usually do on the desktop is open multiple threads in new tabs so that they're ready to read when I get to them. Is that a little much to try to implement?

In any case, great job with the app and keep it up.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Awful App is completely broken for me, even after a reinstall.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Awful App is completely broken for me, even after a reinstall.

Are you are version 4.7.9.9? If you're on 4.5.0.9 or below then it will probably be broken. Beyond that, if you're on a developer build of Windows Phone 8.1, make sure it's up to date. Does it crash an start up? Log in? I don't see anything in my crash dumps so...

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about this right? Not this one.

Edward IV posted:

While we're talking about issues with the Awful app

It does not get bookmarks beyond the first page, because I hosed up and need to fix it at some point. It should show however many you have, but right now it does not. The list looks weird because I need to talk to the guy who made the control that the list view is wrapped in for pull to refresh and fix it. It's borks on my 1520 too from time to time.

The reason it reloads the list rather than just updating the original thread is because of stupid poo poo I did when I started the project. Basically, individual properties on the thread entity are not firing OnChanged events when they change. So if I update if you've seen a post, or the thread count itself, it does not show it on that list because I'm not telling the app that it has changed. Basically I have to redo a bunch of poo poo entities and have them announce when their states have changed.

vvvvv
Yeah, it's an ika.control issue. It works on my 1020 but not my 1520. It's not firing the command when you pull it down. I need to look into it and fix it.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I got version 4.7.9.9 of the app back on the 22nd for my Icon, and the only thing I've noticed so far is that the Pull to Refresh feature on the Bookmarks screen doesn't seem to work, but manually pressing the refresh button at the bottom does.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
So this week both Band of America and Chase announced that they're pulling their windows phone apps. This seems like a step in a bad direction for Microsoft.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Naffer posted:

So this week both Band of America and Chase announced that they're pulling their windows phone apps. This seems like a step in a bad direction for Microsoft.

Nah. Once Windows 10 is out, BoA, Chase and other banks will be scrambling to make Windows tablet/PC apps, so naturally, high quality phone apps will follow.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Naffer posted:

Unless they're holding out for a Windows 10 universal app. Doubtful, but maybe.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wookieepelt posted:

Unless they're holding out for a Windows 10 universal app. Doubtful, but maybe.

Why would they pull their current apps in the mean time? Stop updating, sure, but why remove them?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
If the plan was to make a universal app, they could make a universal app right now. Pulling the current app due to a forthcoming universal app is... unlikely.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

BoA is pulling the phone but not the tablet app, which is weird. If it was a usage thing you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Does this mean the BoA app will suddenly disappear from my phone? Or will it just become unusable? Or just never ever again updated? This is annoying - US banking is poo poo anyway compared with UK, mobile appage is one of the few things which made it bearable. Cheques are retarded as they are - having to go to an actual branch to cash them in is hosed up.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 29, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Submitted another Awful Forums Reader update. Here's what I changed:

First, I fixed the bookmarks list not pulling in 2+ pages. Want to know why it was broken? Here's the coding horror:

Go me for being stupid! Simple fix, should work now.

I also should have increased the performance of navigating to threads and back. Now, why was it slow you may ask. I was caching the thread page into memory. I was trying to be clever and reuse the same page when navigating to a new thread from within a thread. While that worked, it also cached the thread you were on when you hit the back button (I thought it would clear it from memory, oops.) so that's why it look so long to go back. I've changed it so now it won't do that, so it should be nearly instant.

Also, the subforums buttons should now actually work in the thread list view. I never added the commands to actually get them working. Now they should work.

Pull to Refresh should also work now on the bookmarks page.

Also the background task was crashing quite a bit, based on the error logs I've gotten. Those should also be addressed, so hopefully I'll get less of those error being posted to me :v:.

Hopefully it should be accepted soon, but the Windows 8 version got rejected due to "Overuse of profanity" so I'm rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Sorry for the app being lovely, hopefully it will be less lovely :toot:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 29, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/399822,acer-will-unveil-windows-smartphones-at-mwc-2015.aspx

Acer is dipping its toes into the world of windows phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Sorry for the app being lovely, hopefully it will be less lovely :toot:.

You are doing God's work.

Never apologize. Thanks for making the app to begin with!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Drastic Actions posted:

Hopefully it should be accepted soon, but the Windows 8 version got rejected due to "Overuse of profanity" so I'm rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

How the gently caress? Are there actual people looking at these? This is even more damning, because there's thousands of blatant intellectual property theft apps out there, but useful original apps get denied due to swearz?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/399822,acer-will-unveil-windows-smartphones-at-mwc-2015.aspx

The more the better. Acer sells well in europe and they're making decent phones lately.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

The Lord Bude posted:

That's all good and well but that phone looks to be an inch thick.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pfff, gently caress Acer. I've hated Acer ever since their firmware update bricked my first Win8 tablet. :argh:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

That's all good and well but that phone looks to be an inch thick.

That's an Acer Allegro WP7 phone from 2011.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So while I love the new sa app, the only thing that bothers me is when you decrease the font size it doesn't decrease the other pictures around it, so you get a gigantic name/avatar, but smaller text in the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

How the gently caress? Are there actual people looking at these? This is even more damning, because there's thousands of blatant intellectual property theft apps out there, but useful original apps get denied due to swearz?

And yet my apps fail cert :cry:

ratbert90 posted:

So while I love the new sa app, the only thing that bothers me is when you decrease the font size it doesn't decrease the other pictures around it, so you get a gigantic name/avatar, but smaller text in the post.

People wanted fonts to scale. No one said a drat thing about images. :smug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 30, 2015