Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012

maev posted:

sure hope that poo poo comes to EU

Pretty sure it was a part of holiday sales for EU. I remember being sad NA didn't get it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ledif posted:

NA Server appears to be getting the 1g -> 35xp (40% bonus) special this weekend. Glad I held off on using some of my gold yesterday.

Cool, I had been thinking about just free-xping the last 60k xp on the tortoise for the fv 183. Mainly because I know it'll help with some of the td missions.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ledif posted:

Pretty sure it was a part of holiday sales for EU. I remember being sad NA didn't get it then.

Yep, it was.

Also, AMX CDC is loving amazing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gervasius posted:

Also, AMX CDC is loving amazing.

Like FCM amazing?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

Like FCM amazing?

I haven't played FCM outside of the test server, but it feels even better. It is significantly faster and more mobile, but has less RoF. Also, it has no preferential MM so there's that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gervasius posted:

Also, it has no preferential MM so there's that.

:colbert: No sale.

But it does sound like it could be a blast being as fast as it is.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

maev posted:

sure hope that poo poo comes to EU

We had one a month ago.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
There is a ludicrous amount of tier 8 premiums and a few lower tiers in the works right now, and supposedly none of them will have pref. matchmaking. They know their audience too, France will now have a medium crew trainer, and Japan, UK and USSR will be getting much better ones, so the vehicles will sell themselves despite having regular matchmaking.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I am very glad none of the new premiums have preferential matchmaking. I'm not buying a regular tier eight that sees tier tens, and I haven't been doing enough tournaments to have a gold stockpile. Now I can blow all my gold on free xp and get the M53 for the arti missions without feeling bad about missing out on a sweet premium tank!

e: also KV-1 and KV-1S on sale this weekend, grab one of these for farming the heavy missions.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 29, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm glad none of those premiums are going to tempt me to spend money not on an objectively better game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

xthetenth posted:

I'm glad none of those premiums are going to tempt me to spend money not on an objectively better game.

Wait how do you spend money on the winter mode?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Wait how do you spend money on the winter mode?

Buy healing shells for gold, like a moron.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Buy healing shells for gold, like a moron.

Woah woah woah don't be a bully in the World of Tanks thread.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Is the AMX 13 90 actually good outside tier 8 strongholds?
So far it seems aggressively mediocre compared to the AMX 50 100, where the 1390 have less pen, worse MM, but better camo.
It is not helped by being matched with medium tanks that can do the same role.
Or maybe I am just bitter about my current 25% win rate in it after 20 games or so.

I really, really recommend doing three lines of the Individual Missions and recruiting a female crew for your 13 90. 6th on the Commander, Camo on the other two. Playing lights w/o 6th+Camo is terrible.

That said, yes, the biggest thing it gets is fantastic camo. The 13 90 gets a native 17.7% camo bonus - with paint and 2 crew members with Camo fully trained, you bump that up to 30% Camo. And because it's a Light, that's 30% camo on the move too. It's kinda like being in a bush except always (barring when you've just fired). Think of the 13 90 as less of a "I am a Light, I must spot and do nothing else" and more of a "I am a tiny scouting medium and an cowardly, opportunistic bastard." It plays a lot like the Batchat. You've got great vision, excellent camo, you drive faster than hell, and you have a ridiculous ability to vomit damage into people. It's also got a great ability to dodge and weave and avoid getting hit out in the open, though it's not something you should rely on.

For a replay, I just finally got Ace in it this morning. link

I actually play like a complete shitter at multiple points. Notably when I go for an attack run on the Rhoomba and biff a couple shots, though I didn't really care about the last shot I threw at him because I had almost no way to kill him because of how god awful my damage rolls on him were (240 avg damage, 425 damage from two shots) But, despite my shittery, to that point I had conserved my HP well enough that I could throw a bunch of it away, distract their team a bunch, get the Rhoomba dead with some help from a friendly, and win the game. Only thing I'm bitter about is not getting Top Gun because of those loving Rhoomba damage rolls, I saw him at like 280 HP after the first two hits and didn't bother to make sure my last shot would connect because I was mad and just wanted to get the gently caress out of dodge. I was also pretty pissed that their loving ST-I managed to snapshot me in the drive wheel while I was doing ~50. But in the end, I carried my team ridiculously hard, both by clipping fools and by spotting fools, and we won and I got my Ace, finally - this thing has a crazy high Ace threshold, you need like 1300+ nXP and it's tough to get because you don't have that much capacity to just mow down tank after tank after tank without taking a breather to reload.

Random advice:

PATIENCE! PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE! The first five minutes of the game are the most dangerous for you because this game's maps are universally too goddamned small to be Light Tank friendly. Opportunistic, cowardly tanks like the 13 90 and Batchat need tanks that are either alone or with only 1-2 friends so they can swoop in, clip dump some moron, and swoop back out. Your job in the first few minutes of the game is to try and suss out where some of the enemy team's tanks are so you can look for places you can get sneaky shots in without being hit.

Play like a complete and utter coward - conserve your HP at all costs in the early game. I'm bad at this because I'm a very aggressive player in general, but a full HP 13 90 is a dozen times more lethal than a next hit dead 13 90 come late game, because you can find someone alone, eat a hit, and spray 1440 points of hot tank lovin' into them in return. Being able to take a hit without dying makes you much, much more deadly because of the 13 90's ability to trade a clip's worth of damage for one shot from a lone tank. It's better to do nothing for the first couple minutes of the game when you have to than to try and force plays and lose HP for it. I always aim to have full HP at the 10:00 mark, because that's when flanks start resolving, holes in defenses open up, and you can start murdering people.

Know your numbers! You average 240 damage a shot, and can generally kill things if they're at 220 * (however many shells you have left) HP or less, though you should also try to assume that you will miss or bounce at least one shot unless you're really, really willing to commit on someone and probably eat an extra hit from them to take the time to slow down and make sure your hits are really solid connections.

Don't stop moving unless you're passive spotting in a bush, and in particular GO FAST. If you're sniping, make sure you have (good) hard cover next to you to scoot behind right after you shoot. If someone is looking at you, has vision and line of fire at you, and you're not driving 30 km/h or faster, generally that means you have hosed up and are about to die. Only real exception is if you're clip dumping a lone tank. In general though GOTTA GO FAST. Speed and stealth are your only defenses, and when you start shooting you've given up stealth.

Count tanks. It sounds kind of obvious, but counting tanks will help you make big plays and avoid dying horribly. You should have a Last Known Location mod for your minimap, and before you go on an attack run or whatever move you want to make, blow up your minimap and take 20s to evaluate the state of the battlefield, and in particular count tanks. Fifteen - (Dead + Spotted + Artillery) = how many tanks you should assume are being camping shitters and waiting to blow you up when you try to clip dump someone.

Use autoaim. You need to be focused on driving, not on trying to scope in to make sure you have a good shot. Unless I'm sniping someone and holding still I almost always use autoaim. I'd rather have the extra situational awareness and better driving of looking where I'm going and where I'm planning to go then to make sure I connect that extra shot - staying alive is more important than dealing damage, because the longer the game goes and the more HP you have, the stronger your tank is. Unless I'm in a situation where I know, for sure, that someone is alone (ie 15 - Dead/Spotted/Arty = 0) then I'm not slowing down to shoot, and if I'm not slowing down to shoot them I'm autoaiming.

170 pen doesn't seem like a lot, but it's more than enough. I basically never fire gold unless I'm out of silver or if the situation really demands it. Even fighting Tier 10 heavies, the Maus is basically the only thing you pretty much have to fire gold at - the E100's side turret armor is only 144 and I've had a lot of luck spraying the sides of their turret with silver if the shot is good and flat. Obviously you'll bounce less with gold (and shooting all gold is really, really fun even though it's incredibly expensive) but you don't actually need it. I almost always get 1500+ damage in the 13 90, and generally break 2k. You can hurt the sides of most tanks, and can readily devour tank butts with 170 pen.

Spot for people! Abuse the poo poo out of your camo and spot people. When I finally got the first LT-15 it was a game on Lakeville where I spotted the enemy team's crossing to the city and put us up 3k HP and a couple tank kills before the fight even started. We promptly steamrolled the gently caress out of city because both teams had about five people in base/valley and a couple artillery, so the city was something like 6 vs 8 and we had an enormous numerical advantage.

Also for reference, my 13 90 setup is Vents/GLD/Optics, Food/Repair/Med, SoS/6th/Camo on my commander, SoS/Camo/Snap Shot on my Gunner, and SoS/Camo/Clutch Braking on the Driver. Clutch Braking vs Smooth Ride is a tossup, but imo the 13 90's biggest shortcoming is that it doesn't turn that well and alleviating that problem is a big deal to me, so I went with Clutch. Food vs Fire Extinguisher is personal preference, but I've come to really, really enjoy having a 120% crew so I use it. It's frustrating as hell when you get lit on fire the first hit you take and promptly burn to death though, especially because the 13 90 engine is only 12% chance to light. If I ever get around to 5th skills on this thing, definitely gonna be getting some Firefighting going. Repair is borderline useless on the 13 90 imo, even if your repair time on your tracks is 5s instead of 10s or 12s or whatever it is, five seconds sitting out in the open holding still is death. If you get tracked, kit it IMMEDIATELY and get moving.

The 13 90 is really frustrating to play at first, but is one of the most balls to the wall fun things in the game once you get good at it, and is ridiculously good at carrying teams in a lot of situations. You're never going to hulldown and MANMODE your way through half a dozen tanks, but you can do a lot to get your team an early lead and keep that lead going even if they're bad (they literally need to be able to hit autoaim and left click, that's all you need out of them) and you can do cleanup like mad. It doesn't look like it on paper, but it's a very, very strong tank and has the carrying capacity of a short bus.

Mesadoram posted:

TL:DR:

Play like a grimy piece of poo poo and you will be a force to be reckoned with.

Yeah, basically. I just wanted to go into detail, I tend to need very specific, little picture bits of advice to build into the big picture of playing like a scum bag. It frustrates me immensely when I ask my purple friends for advice and get "just click more tanks" and "whatever just stop getting shot" in return.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 29, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

TL:DR:

Play like a grimy piece of poo poo and you will be a force to be reckoned with.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Woah woah woah don't be a bully in the World of Tanks thread.

Thank you AntiBullyRanger Hellsau, you have truly made me see the error of my ways.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Thanks for the AMX 13 90 replays, it seems my problem is a mix of horrible teams and me forgetting how to properly light tank (I ended my T71 with 67% win rate, god damnit).
I literally lost my first 10 games with completely horrible teams. That teaches me for playing during Christmas break.

Also, Magres, nice replay but you also got pretty lucky with dodging bullets there. On the other hand, most Ace tankers are the result of a lot of luck mixed with some skills so.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh yeah I got super, super lucky getting out from that Rhoomba attack alive. All of the alarms and klaxons in my head were blaring GET OUT GET OUT poo poo poo poo RUN RUN gently caress RUN OH GOD PLEASE LET ME LIVE. There was no skill at all involved in getting out of that alive, I just drove as goddamned fast as I could to cover and prayed like crazy.

I figure it evens out with the fact that my next game I had a "friendly" E5 smash me into the wall of a map as I was trying to get into the side of a dying IS-8 for some free damage. I had full HP, the IS-8 shot me once, lit me on fire from the front, and I burned to death. SerB giveth, SerB taketh away :haw:

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Gervasius posted:

I haven't played FCM outside of the test server, but it feels even better. It is significantly faster and more mobile, but has less RoF. Also, it has no preferential MM so there's that.

Uh, the FCM has a RoF of 8, the CDC has a RoF of 8,22. As for speed...the FCM is nearly 55t and has 1000hp engine. The CDC weighs a tad over 34t, and has a 1200hp engine.That said, even though it's much faster than the FCM it's not that fast. It's still a medium, and feels like a fast medium, despite having a hp/t ratio of a light.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So apparently the Top of the tree specials are back (at least in EU). With the first one being Leopard. The Object 263 is never going to get its special, is it :(

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

mmkay posted:

So apparently the Top of the tree specials are back (at least in EU). With the first one being Leopard. The Object 263 is never going to get its special, is it :(

If they do the E100 I will be so happy.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Can we call this one a carry? Bonus points for me mocking our 53 55 for spelling missions wrong and him complaining in all chat that I was too busy correcting grammar to help the team. Double bonus points for completing HT-12 with honors. Nice to finally have a decent game in my E-75. I am almost always in a tier 10 and/or terrible in it, which is frustrating because I know it can do this on a regular basis. I just need to play it better.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

WoT Blitz report: No surprise, pubbies are loving stupid there as well. Took me three battles to get my first win, and in each loss the situation was that of the enemy top MS-1 in this screenshot:

Kinda good to know they're terrible everywhere, I guess?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

mmkay posted:

Aww I just got that in the new year's sale and have only played one match in it :sigh:

Also, FTR-dude is saying the CDC sucks :confused:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Darkrenown posted:

Also, FTR-dude is saying the CDC sucks :confused:

As well as having generally terrible and reprehensible world views and a personality to match, he's not particularly good at World of Tanks, but presumably gets too much of an ego boost from being a "somebody" to realise he's poo poo.

From what I recall he's just barely above average, I think like 90% of the active posters in this thread would look like Camador when compared to him. Actually he's not completely awful, but he's certainly not good enough to be passing definitive judgement on tanks he plainly doesn't know how to play.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 29, 2015

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

rossmum posted:

As well as having generally terrible and reprehensible world views and a personality to match, he's not particularly good at World of Tanks, but presumably gets too much of an ego boost from being a "somebody" to realise he's poo poo.

From what I recall he's just barely above average, I think like 90% of the active posters in this thread would look like Camador when compared to him. Actually he's not completely awful, but he's certainly not good enough to be passing definitive judgement on tanks he plainly doesn't know how to play.

hes a 1600er or something, thinks he's tank jesus and gets a huge boner out of making GBS threads on wg. basically: dont listen to him.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, I just double-checked. I thought he was like a 1200 or 1300 but I guess not. He certainly posts like one v:shobon:v

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
hes poo poo at tanks tho

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Jesus gently caress the CDC is a dream. I mean, sure the test server is a bit skewy with squishy T8 meds right now, but goddamn. One game and I'm sold.

Biggest issue is going to be trying not to track myself gofasting down a hill.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That Yamato video was put back up again if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

Ichase also just uploaded another video, this one focusing on destroyers and cruisers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFqXn5RJTgc

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 30, 2015

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Armored Warfare beta client links have been sent out, check your emails.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oh man, so many awesome things :allears:

Also after a mere 2 games in the CDC I will loving eat cardboard for a week if it means I can afford to buy this fucker right away. It's just so good. Possibly too good. Hightlight so far was needling a 4502B in the side and ducking back into cover so fast he didn't even have a chance to hit me because his big stupid gun wouldn't settle in time.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

warcrimes posted:

Nope. :saddowns:

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

hes a 1600er or something, thinks he's tank jesus and gets a huge boner out of making GBS threads on wg. basically: dont listen to him.

So he's 90% of the posters in this thread?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Keksen posted:

So he's 90% of the posters in this thread?

yes, dont listen to this thread either.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

rossmum posted:

You seem to have a personal vendetta against him. Note: I know nothing about this guy and have no opinions of him either way, but what happened between you two?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

warcrimes posted:

:glomp:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

He blamed me for "DDOSing" his site (he probably got hugged to death by Reddit or something) because obviously I am an Evil Communist out to silence the One True Voice of Liberty.

He's a shitbag bigoted libertarian retard, I called him out as such, a couple of other goons joined in, and the end result is him thinking I am the leader of some shady goon communist conspiracy against him personally. He apparently tried to get someone who made an auto-report mod or some poo poo to include my name on the list to get me banned from the game for the heinous crime of calling him scum, which he objectively is.

I'm not making any of this up, he does actually think there's some goon conspiracy and I am a somebody on SA.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Agrajag posted:

You seem to have a personal vendetta against him. Note: I know nothing about this guy and have no opinions of him either way, but what happened between you two?

Aside from all the whole world view/personal opinion stuff that had them clash in the past, I'd say that the whole ddosmum thing was the final straw.

e:f;b by ross himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

warcrimes posted:

I hate all you dick shits that got beta invites. You are all human scum unless you give me a link for beta invite. Just saying.