Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will say. This is pretty cool despite how cheesy it it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

the best part of this is the crowd applauding for pot of greed

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AlternateNu posted:

I want to play the card game now. What's the best yugioh game?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Arc-V had a guy last episode who literally punched people in the face if they tried to make certain moves he didn't want them to, I think we've reached the apex of cheating.

The apex will be reached when one guy does his opening turn and then this happens.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

K. Flaps posted:

I want to play the card game now. What's the best yugioh game?

YGOPro, Devpro or Dueling Network are free apps that are current on the card game (though YGOPro/Devpro are probably better for that). If you want to learn, I'd say pick up one of the DS games, which if I recall right come with tutorials. If you just want to throw random cards down and fight enemies just grab any of the GBA/DS/PSP games and throw cards down.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, part of me really wants to get back into the game (not having played since the GX era, and even there playing really badly). Is there a newbie-friendly way to do it? I'm basically at zero, and if I'm getting in I'd like to try to convince friends to do as well and they're just as bad as me if not worse (at least I know the summoning mechanics, the closest friend I got knows Synchro and that's it).

Considering everything I'd stick to a simulator (no way in hell I can afford all those shiny new cards), and I've been playing some Reverse of Arcadia (is that the last DS game? That was the one I was playing) for some practice, though my main problem is deck building which I don't really understand all too well.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The gba / nds game usually have a plot where you are a new character in the series' story and slightly changed the plot so you get to participate in all the important duel. Their tutorial are great and duel puzzle are challanging.

PSP version are usually plotless pick someone to duel with a little relationship sim. Better animation and graphic though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, part of me really wants to get back into the game (not having played since the GX era, and even there playing really badly). Is there a newbie-friendly way to do it? I'm basically at zero, and if I'm getting in I'd like to try to convince friends to do as well and they're just as bad as me if not worse (at least I know the summoning mechanics, the closest friend I got knows Synchro and that's it).

The DS games are pretty much as friendly as it gets since they ease you into everything, otherwise your sure bet is Devpro.

Blaze Dragon posted:

my main problem is deck building which I don't really understand all too well.

Here I can only recommend that you start looking up what others players do which is best accomplished by the yugioh wikia, yugitubers or the pojo yugioh forum. The basics are the same as they've always been, you should aim for a 42-40 card deck, at least 50% of those should be monsters in most archetypes and always fill up your extra deck. If there's anything specific you'd like to know just ask.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 28, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nyaa posted:

The gba / nds game usually have a plot where you are a new character in the series' story and slightly changed the plot so you get to participate in all the important duel. Their tutorial are great and duel puzzle are challanging.

PSP version are usually plotless pick someone to duel with a little relationship sim. Better animation and graphic though.

So like EDS? Because EDS ruled.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity are the dominant writing crutch for most of the original and GX. They're gone by the time of 5Ds though and never return as far as I can remember.

I'm pretty sure they were legal back then, and disappeared when they were banned IRL.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair. Even when he does get supernatural powers they're used mostly out of battle, I can't think of any moment Judai uses his Supreme King powers or Jubel to cheat. On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

Comes up a couple of times in the anime too. There's one other minor character who somehow learned bullshit draw luck by going and becoming Tarzan.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

Comes up a couple of times in the anime too. There's one other minor character who somehow learned bullshit draw luck by going and becoming Tarzan.

To be fair, what he learned was specifically being able to tell exactly what card he was going to draw, if I remember it correctly. Or at least what type of card. Which is still impossible, but not as impossible as 'i learned to draw what card I want'.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Remember when Nico Smiley told Sora to stop his saw lion plush abomination from messing with the Solid Vision virtual reality? How come THAT sets him off and seeing duelists getting their poo poo kicked in doesn't?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 28, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair, what he learned was specifically being able to tell exactly what card he was going to draw, if I remember it correctly. Or at least what type of card. Which is still impossible, but not as impossible as 'i learned to draw what card I want'.

"Tide WILL come in. Leaf WILL fall. Me WILL draw card me want. Me in tune with nature. please give me a shirt"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

"Tide WILL come in. Leaf WILL fall. Me WILL draw card me want. Me in tune with nature. please give me a shirt"

Okay, well I haven't watched it in awhile, that's even dumber than I remember.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's not really an episode worth remembering, but didn't Jaden screw up his card prediction ability eventually? He couldn't even draw the magical egg sandwich at the end.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dogsicle posted:

It's not really an episode worth remembering, but didn't Jaden screw up his card prediction ability eventually? He couldn't even draw the magical egg sandwich at the end.

That was like the only episode of GX I actually watched.

There was a literal scene of Jaden, under a waterfall, training himself to draw cards better by picking the right egg sandwich out of a pile.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A new dub name for Arc-V has been announced, this time for Hokuto.
https://twitter.com/Jackydan513/status/533474891010678785
I unironically love this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Why did they change Reiji to Declan, anyways? Wouldn't "Reggie" have been fine? :shrug:

Edit: Though I guess it is kind of casual... Reginald, then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dipper

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

A new dub name for Arc-V has been announced, this time for Hokuto.
https://twitter.com/Jackydan513/status/533474891010678785
I unironically love this.

:allears:
Is Yaiba going to be Blade.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're going with puns but the best they could come up with for Gongenzaka is Gong? They need to step up their game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Silento posted:

Why did they change Reiji to Declan, anyways? Wouldn't "Reggie" have been fine? :shrug:

Because the D/D monsters are going to be called something like DECLAN'S DUDES, I bet.

And then the DDD monsters, the ones based on famous kings and conquerors, will end up as DECLAN'S DYNASTIC DUDES or something like that.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Xoidanor posted:

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity are the dominant writing crutch for most of the original and GX. They're gone by the time of 5Ds though and never return as far as I can remember.

AlternateNu posted:

The Pharaoh's first turn is Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity :allears: this is amazing.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Quincytbb posted:

The Pharaoh's first turn is Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity :allears: this is amazing.
Yeah, it's nice to see these banned cards being played after so long and to make up for his other memorable but weak cards in his deck against a modern xyz deck. :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dexie posted:

Because the D/D monsters are going to be called something like DECLAN'S DUDES, I bet.

And then the DDD monsters, the ones based on famous kings and conquerors, will end up as DECLAN'S DYNASTIC DUDES or something like that.

Okay, this is great. I hope they do this.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Silento posted:

Because according to the wiki, Reginald is Shark's dub name. :shepface:

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to watch the Zexal dub now.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Kay Kessler posted:

Because according to the wiki, Reginald is Shark's dub name. :shepface:

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to watch the Zexal dub now.

Sean Schemmel screams superbly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The power of Cheating always beats whatever bullshit new mechanic. Yugi Supremacy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arc-V continues to entertain with Barret losing his entire squad and the left side of his face to a trap card, left on the floor. The preview makes it seem like he's going to self-destruct his duel disk?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Arc-V continues to entertain with Barret losing his entire squad and the left side of his face to a trap card, left on the floor. The preview makes it seem like he's going to self-destruct his duel disk?

It's probably just teleporting him back to Academia like with Sora

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

dogsicle posted:

Barret is pure Call of Duty tho, I bet that borg eye under his eyepatch (he totally has borg tech on him, look at the professor and look at the cards he played) implanted those memories so he doesn't feel too bad about being a genocidal warmonger

Senerio posted:

The power of Cheating always beats whatever bullshit new mechanic. Yugi Supremacy.

To destroy a gravity ring and bring the opponent's life points to 0 thanks to a DEF increasing magic is the ultimate, greatest cheat of the whole franchise.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: Did no one else notice that Reiji should have lost that game? He could have crashed the Borgpanther instead of buffing its attack above 2000 and won by attacking directly with the materials.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So Fusion Yuzu is apparently called Serena. I got the impression that she's not here on official Academia business, like Sora was, because the guards tried to stop her... which begs the question of just what the hell she's doing, turning Hokuto Dipper into a card like that. It could be mindless revenge against XYZ users for humiliating Sora, but she didn't seem all that fond of him, considering that she was grinning as he screamed in the infirmary. I guess we'll find out later.

In the meantime, we finally got a Reiji duel! And he actually won this one! Isn't that...

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: Did no one else notice that Reiji should have lost that game? He could have crashed the Borgpanther instead of buffing its attack above 2000 and won by attacking directly with the materials.

...great?
Man, Reiji needs to actually score some victories. He has the reputation of this unbeatable Dueling master but we've only see him play twice in 40 episodes. Plotting and scheming is nice and all, but you can't be the Kaiba of the series by watching from the sidelines forever.

He certainly has the tools he needs: the new D/D/Ds are pretty drat nice. Well, Tell not so much: he's alright, but the fact that he can only trigger his effect after damage from a Covenant is too much of a limitation. Without that he'd be pretty respectable, otherwise it would be better to use Zenmaioh or Adreus over him. D'arc is better; so much better, in fact, that I can't help but wonder if her effect can only be triggered something once per turn, and can consequently only protect you from a single Covenant or burn card; it would be a bit too much to have all effect damage turned into healing on a costant basis. Even considering this, I imagine her Fusion materials will be something more than two random DDs, because she's pretty drat powerful.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 29, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ohhhh man it's the return of PANTHER WARRIOR. The duel felt a bit sloppy though.

Also :laffo: At the trap being a trap card.
(though since it's widespread ruin shouldn't have killed only one of them?)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yu-gi-oh would be way better if some of the characters used bullshit cheese decks like electrum loop or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Modern Exodia decks are the most hilarious kind of cheese. I'd love to see one pop up in the anime.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endorph posted:

Modern Exodia decks are the most hilarious kind of cheese. I'd love to see one pop up in the anime.

You want to watch a duel where one person draws their entire deck in one turn while the other person doesn't even get to play? Booooring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dexie posted:

You want to watch a duel where one person draws their entire deck in one turn while the other person doesn't even get to play? Booooring.
i'd want to see all the different ways they could animate drawing a card

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

100% absolutely yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexie posted:

There's already been duels won through basically exploiting loopholes in the rulebook, why not go whole hog.