Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

I think the inside is the worst thing about it. It took a little while to find one that wasn't a render, but here:

e: actually no, the worst (best) thing is that it comes with its own quadcopter mounted inside the roof to "scout the road ahead".

This is cool and good and anyone who disagrees is wrong wrong wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

veedubfreak posted:

Are they aimed properly and lower than 3 feet off the ground?

More importantly, are they not wired into the high beam circuit and/or genuinely only used when off road (bearing in mind that the closest most bro trucks will ever come to being off-roaded is driving on a gravel driveway or parking in a grassy field)?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Interior decoration by Eddie van Halen (and an exploding roll of tape)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rndmnmbr posted:

Okay now you made it cool, good job.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

This would be cool to drive around the surface of another planet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MRC48B posted:

This would be cool to drive around the surface of another planet.

Is that so nobody else is around to point and laugh?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I was looking around the gis to think of ideas I don't have the money or knowledge to properly follow up on and I found this:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is that... was that... a '69 Camaro? :wtc:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1000% wrong thread.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
This video is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyG12P4wQM

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm confused with the nomenclature for it.
It's 2 door so not a wagon/estate. Is it a panelvan or shooting brake?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In the states, I think it's just a two door wagon, like a Chevy Nomad, or the HHR 2 door delivery. Everywhere else, it's probably a shooting brake. Particularly because it's based on a sports car.

Is there any history or info associated with the pics?

:iia:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It would be a shooting brake in the UK. Although Mercedes have started calling their 4-door estates shooting brakes too, which is annoying.

e: oops, this isn't the craigslist thread

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 29, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wolfsbane posted:

It would be a shooting brake in the UK. Although Mercedes have started calling their 4-door estates shooting brakes too, which is annoying.

e: oops, this isn't the craigslist thread

Mercedes shouldn't be allowed to name cars, anymore. gently caress them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This whole "fake engine sound through the speakers" thing is getting completely out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8uOS7ki3Q

What the hell Peugeot?

Here's the diesel version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mker_GUykLc

That ridiculous fakery would literally be the first thing I would ask the dealer to remove ASAP, should I buy one of those models.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It sounds just like virtually every racing game ever where they've gone and sampled an actual engine but have no clue what to do with the audio to make it sound right. My housemate plays Forza Horizon 2 a lot and I think I've only heard maybe 3 cars that sound in any way 'real'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Don't be sexist. I have no doubt whatsoever that every VAG engineer is a man; no woman could be so wilfully and persistently moronic. Maintaining that level of dumbassery for decades on end takes the kind of stubbornness men are famous for.

I feel like the most hasted guy in AI. :smith:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CommieGIR posted:

Less haste, more speed please!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

Is that... was that... a '69 Camaro? :wtc:

No.
(It's a '68)

Flipperwaldt posted:

Less haste, more speed please!

I am having difficulty hating this. I mean, nothing of value was lost, and it looks like they had fun with it.

88h88 posted:

It sounds just like virtually every racing game ever where they've gone and sampled an actual engine but have no clue what to do with the audio to make it sound right. My housemate plays Forza Horizon 2 a lot and I think I've only heard maybe 3 cars that sound in any way 'real'

Concur. That was always my gripe with most driving games, and in particular Gran Turismo. Great cars, awesome modeling, and absolute poo poo noises. It wasn;lt so bad for the weezy 4-bangers, and the rotary sounded about right-ish, but anything with a V8 sounded outright pathetic. I'm a God-damned American in Texas fer Crissake. I KNOW what an LS1 Camaro SS sounds like! They always seem to take like, one sample at a particular RPM, then stretch that out like a sampling keyboard does for other revs. Real engines (and exhausts with, you know, resonant frequencies) don't work that way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

This whole "fake engine sound through the speakers" thing is getting completely out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8uOS7ki3Q

What the hell Peugeot?

Here's the diesel version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mker_GUykLc

That ridiculous fakery would literally be the first thing I would ask the dealer to remove ASAP, should I buy one of those models.

Audis have a metal speaker diaphragm in the exhaust system that works to cancel out certain pulsations and accentuate others to make the car artificially sound better. BMW just straight up pipes engine noise through the stereo in the M5 and presumably other vehicles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Even the new Mclarens do that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Slavvy posted:

Audis have a metal speaker diaphragm in the exhaust system that works to cancel out certain pulsations and accentuate others to make the car artificially sound better. BMW just straight up pipes engine noise through the stereo in the M5 and presumably other vehicles.

The Fiesta and Focus ST do something similar with the sound, but they do it under the hood to pipe artificial intake noise into the cabin. A tube runs off the intake into a "sound symposer" box which is just a plastic box with a membrane in it that the air vibrates, creating faux induction noise. I think it sounds pretty cool, but it's definitely artificial.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

jamal posted:

Even the new Mclarens do that.

Muffling or enhancing certain frequencies to make the exhaust sound better is one thing. Geoff Crammond's F1 '92 for Atari ST farting in a tin bath, starring Geoff Crammond farting in a tin bath half full of Amsoil, the choice of champions, being played amateurishly through the speakers is quite another.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seeing as a lot of these cars today are running basically a synthetic sound, could you not just bang in samples of your own and drive a Ford Fiesta with a rotary or something obscene like a fat lady snaffling bag after bag of doritos and washing it down with a 5l bottle of coke?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

Seeing as a lot of these cars today are running basically a synthetic sound, could you not just bang in samples of your own and drive a Ford Fiesta with a rotary or something obscene like a fat lady snaffling bag after bag of doritos and washing it down with a 5l bottle of coke?

Flight of the Valkyries.

E: comedy option http://youtu.be/1YFqhb2TXbU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

KozmoNaut posted:

Mini has this "sport mode" button that remaps the throttle to be more responsive and stiffens the steering. Oh, and it also makes the exhaust backfire constantly on purpose. Man, can I just get better throttle response without sounding like a douche in my four cylinder hatchback?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hikaki posted:

Mini has this "sport mode" button that remaps the throttle to be more responsive and stiffens the steering. Oh, and it also makes the exhaust backfire constantly on purpose. Man, can I just get better throttle response without sounding like a douche in my four cylinder hatchback?

HERESY!

Mad popping exhausts on off throttle are great, especially on hot hatches. Nothing you say will change this fact.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can get things which plug into the lighter socket and have a variety of engine sounds pre-loaded if you want to mess about with stuff like that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

I remember reading a short story once, set after the gas crisis. Bob (can't remember actual names, or the name of the story, or I'd look it up) is feeling jealous of his next-door neighbor Bill's car. It's faster, quieter, blah blah keeping up with the Joneses. So his kid gets an idea. The next day, when Bill is mowing the lawn, Bob ROARS out of his garage in his brand-new sports car, ROARING all the way up the block, ROARING all the way back into the garage, like you haven't heard in twenty years since the oil ran out. The kid says "oh man Dad you should have seen the look on Bill's face!" and Bob tells him, "Worth every penny, m'boy! Now run the tape player back and get to winding the car's mainspring so we can do it again!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

You can get things which plug into the lighter socket and have a variety of engine sounds pre-loaded if you want to mess about with stuff like that.

This, truly is, terrible car stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

This, truly is, terrible car stuff.

it's really not

If some twat wants his shitbox to sound like a lawnmower, i would prefer the sound exist only on the inside of that vehicle.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Bajaha posted:

HERESY!

Mad popping exhausts on off throttle are great, especially on hot hatches. Nothing you say will change this fact.

I would agree if that's just how the engine is tuned. But this is obviously artificial and probably not good for the exhaust for that matter (I'm guessing they do it by running too lean/rich on purpose). Also,

Powershift posted:

If some twat wants his shitbox to sound like a lawnmower, i would prefer the sound exist only on the inside of that vehicle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ever heard (well, not-heard, I suppose) a wanker-spec sound system that did not permeate beyond the vehicle's own interior?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bajaha posted:

HERESY!

Yea my all stock Scirocco (minus cat converter) does this and it sounds freakin awesome.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rndmnmbr posted:

Red, white and black, I'll take one...and blast Eruption from the speakers the whole goddamn time

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ozz81 posted:

Red, white and black, I'll take one...and blast Eruption from the speakers the whole goddamn time

Eruption over the synthetic exhaust.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

I actually poo poo on VAG all the time but then I suggested in the BFC thread that a brand new (with a new car warranty and free maintenance for the length of the warranty)Jetta for $12k or Passat for $15k might be OK for someone looking for literally the cheapest new car possible.

<----People just have strong feelings about cars. v:saddowns:v

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Out of curiosity, does that mean the speakers are always on even when the stereo is off? This is in reference to the engine noise being broadcast into the cabin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KingPave posted:

Out of curiosity, does that mean the speakers are always on even when the stereo is off? This is in reference to the engine noise being broadcast into the cabin.

modern cars pipe all kinds of poo poo through the speakers when the stereo is off. The only reason the camaro Z/28 has 1 speaker is for the door chimes and seatbelt warning and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

There has been a big problem in northern alberta with expensive light bars going missing off brotrucks and ending up at grow ops in prince george.

That sounds more like a solution to the brotruck lighting problem, to me.