Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I really wish there was a central transit megastation capable of handling a quarter million people. I'm getting tired of trying to build elaborate setups connecting my commuter rail, el-rail, buses, and subways together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
There are plenty of lots combining multiple different forms of transportation though. Most of them are small-ish however, or part of the RTMP pack.

I'm assuming you're looking for something akin to Union Station in Toronto- a large public transport hub that serves rail, busses, and connects to the subway?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I've lived in Newfoundland most of my life, which means I've never lived around trains. Can someone tell me if freight and passenger trains tend to travel on the same tracks?

This is an 'it depends' answer, isn't it?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I live near a train line that has both passenger and freight trains.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

I live near a train line that has both passenger and freight trains.

I guess if your freight needs to be going the same way as your passengers do, then it makes sense for them to share rails. Otherwise, they don't.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Poizen Jam posted:

So I've lived in Newfoundland most of my life, which means I've never lived around trains. Can someone tell me if freight and passenger trains tend to travel on the same tracks?

This is an 'it depends' answer, isn't it?

Living in Ontario on what I have to assume is one of the busiest rail corridors in the country (Kingston, in the middle of Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal) I can tell you that they do travel on the same tracks, just not to the same destinations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Poizen Jam posted:

There are plenty of lots combining multiple different forms of transportation though. Most of them are small-ish however, or part of the RTMP pack.

I'm assuming you're looking for something akin to Union Station in Toronto- a large public transport hub that serves rail, busses, and connects to the subway?

Something like that. It's two separate lots, but I managed to approximate a central transit station:

The lower building is Yokohama Station, for commuter rail. The upper building is Shibuya Station, for el-rail and subway. Still no love for buses :( Update: Both buildings are also bus stops, even though their descriptions make no mention of it.

For the record, while I like the look of it, Shibuya Station is bizarre:

I don't care if it's based on a real station, four rail lines on one side (how do you even fit four el-train lines in a city dense enough to need four of them?) plus two lines and a weird perpendicular one coming out the other end is silly and hard to work with.

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, it's another relic of the days when some people were still dialing up.

Somewhere along the line, a fondness for hypercomplexity became a point of cultural pride for the SC4 modding community. If you're not willing to take six unnecessary extra steps and download fourteen extra things, we don't want your kind here.

I've always played with only a little bit of custom content; last night I installed Tai's awesome megapack. And it makes the game look SO MUCH NICER... but... good GOD it's excruciating trying to navigate the menus with all this stuff. Like to plant on-street bus stops I have to slooowly scroll through about 100 or 150 items. I might actually go back to playing mostly vanilla because it's so painful.

And that's why I'm glad my mouse has a free-scrolling mousewheel toggle. :suicide:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Curvature of Earth posted:

I don't care if it's based on a real station, four rail lines on one side (how do you even fit four el-train lines in a city dense enough to need four of them?) plus two lines and a weird perpendicular one coming out the other end is silly and hard to work with.

In real life it's super multi-level:

The "weird perpendicular one" is the top one.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Canuck-Errant posted:

And that's why I'm glad my mouse has a free-scrolling mousewheel toggle. :suicide:

Just don't accidently nudge your mouse out of the menu, or you may crash your game from rapid zooming in/out :v:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Curvature of Earth posted:

Tokyo is insane...biggest city in the world. Wikipedia has this to say about the metro system:

quote:

Public transport within Greater Tokyo is dominated by the world's most extensive urban rail network (as of May 2014, the article Tokyo rail list lists 158 lines, 48 operators, 4,714.5 km of operational track and 2,210 stations [although stations recounted for each operator]) of clean and efficient surface trains and subways run by a variety of operators, with buses, trams, monorails, and other modes supporting the railway lines.[1] The above figures do not include any Shinkansen services. However, because each operator manages only its own portion, the system is managed as a collection of rail networks rather than a single unit; many operators have ongoing upgrades and expansions underway. 40 million passengers (counted again when passing through a gate and not simply a platform) use the rail system daily (14.6 billion annually) with the subway representing 22% of that figure with 8.66 million using it daily.[2] Extensive through services for seamless and rapid interconnections are also a feature of the network: the Narita-Haneda service run integrates track of 6 separate and independent operators. There are 0.61 commuter rail stations per square mile in the Tokyo area, or one for each 1.6 square miles of developed land area. Commuter rail ridership is very dense, at 6 million people per line mile annually, with the highest among automotive urban areas.

Elevated traingasm incoming :dong::

Canuck-Errant posted:

My mouse wheel just broke :suicide:

Poizen Jam posted:

Just don't accidently nudge your mouse out of the menu, or you may crash your game from rapid zooming in/out :v:

The wonders of Sim City 4 :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rah! posted:

40 million passengers (counted again when passing through a gate and not simply a platform) use the rail system daily (14.6 billion annually)

The sheer scale of Tokyo never ceases to amaze me. I've been to London and NYC and stuff, and they're huge, but Tokyo is vast on a whole other level. Forty million riders every day :stare:

quote:

My mouse wheel just broke :suicide:

Hahahaha glhf :suicide:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I want a transit enabled tunnel building god dammit

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.

Tusen Takk posted:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/16352-rail-thru-building-bulowstrasse/

There's also this one, but it's not elevated
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/14665-helmsley-building/

Dvega fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 30, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tusen Takk posted:

More than anything else, this makes me want a proper update to SimTower.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

I know theres also one for the old Chicago Post Office, which had a surface highway running through it.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
I come from the depths of the various sim city sites bearing gifts - here I have the best new tree controllers which only use the new prettier trees! None of this is mayor mode plopped, all god mode megabrush fire-and-forget:

ARDEN Seasonal Tree Controllers.

It's got three themes in seperate plugin files there - coastal, riverside and inland. Be sure to only use one of them at a time. Unlike other tree controllers they're interchangeable though so you can line your coasts with the appropriate one, close the game and replace the controller plugin with the inland one to do your hills if you're feeling especially spergy about it.

Alternatively there's the
Cascadia Tree Controller

Which is quite similar in that it also exclusively uses the new better trees but does less with bushes and grass stuff and throws in more evegreens into your dense forests. Also it's a single one-solution-fits-all plugin so less messing about with moving files around in your plugins folder. Means you'll have to do your pretty seaside/riverside flora by hand though.

If you're upgrading to a new tree controller from one of the modpacks floating around they mostly used the old Pacific Northwest Tree Controller and if you want to continue playing your old region you'll need the Pacific Northwest MMP set in your plugin folders. Otherwise having trees from your old tree controller on your map will straight up crash your game to desktop because tree controllers are serious business. The pre-prepared Fhuzo region from the OP has also been treed up with the Pacific Northwest controller so you'll need this if you want to play that map with the new controllers.

A relatively painless way to upgrade your map from an old controller is to kill all your trees and mayor mode ploppables with the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-x 'flora off' cheat. Remember to use 'flora on' after planting your trees to get seasonal simulation back.

Also remember to do your planting around the 1st of september to have your seasons line up. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure by now I've probably spent more time messing around with the mods for this game than actually playing it. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kinnas posted:

I'm pretty sure by now I've probably spent more time messing around with the mods for this game than actually playing it. :v:

The true SimCity experience :v:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I'm sure there's some solid armchair psychology behind it about how setting up each mod is a tiny challenge and solving it is a dopamine charge. Installing mod after mod just keeps pressing that button awesome in your brain, making you giddy with achievement and building up that christmas gift expectation of all the cool new poo poo to play with.

Then the next day you wake up, the dopamine is gone and all you have left is shame and a deep hollow feeling inside. :geno:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

kinnas posted:

Then the next day you wake up, the dopamine is gone and all you have left is shame and a deep hollow feeling inside. :geno:

Wait, you mean you take breaks from sim city 4? Like with sleep and stuff? :shepface:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I just realized SimCity 4 is the game I've played the longest- not in terms of sheer hours, but I got it shortly after release and I'm still playing it in 2015. That's gotta say somethin.

I mean I go back and tinker around with old SNES and Genesis games from time to time, but never as involved as SC4.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
It has all been worth it. My screenshot painting game is perfect now. It almost looks like an oldschool isometric RPG and that's exactly how I want it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

kinnas posted:

It has all been worth it. My screenshot painting game is perfect now. It almost looks like an oldschool isometric RPG and that's exactly how I want it.

That looks loving great.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

kinnas posted:

We're all going to die sad and alone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

kinnas posted:

Thats beautiful and everything I wanted SC4's ag/rural gameplay to be like. I don't have the patience for a zillion plugins though :shepface:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's loving gorgeous.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kinnas posted:

Those loving roadside fences man, how have you done this

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
That's the Japanese Sidewalk Mod. You might want to get the NotDensen.zip from there aswell, it turns off the excessive powerlines while leaving up the decorative poles.

Unless you're british you'll probably want to combine it with its right hand drive mod

Beyond that if you don't like the trees or whatever other props it plomps around your streets and roads you can delete different folders in the zPlopFile folder. The mod maker has done some nice work, it's all very modular.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh man that's glorious, thanks :)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Mod from the day. http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1925

It removes the ripple effect from bridges.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone know if there's a tram-in-avenue to subway thing? Or if there are TiA viaducts? I need to somehow get my TiA system over or under my sunken highway and I couldn't find a transition in my installed NAM 32.1 stuff

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 2, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I've definitely noticed a tram-in-ave to subway piece somewhere. Not sure if it's part of NAM or some modpack mod.

Radiant City planning! What could possibly go wrong?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone know if there's a tram-in-avenue to subway thing? Or if there are TiA viaducts? I need to somehow get my TiA system over or under my sunken highway and I couldn't find a transition in my installed NAM 32.1 stuff

It would probably be easier to make a tunnel for the sunken highway under the avenue and use simple tram-in-avenue tiles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tusen Takk posted:

It should be there (it definitely exists as I've used it before), I just checked my own install and it's in the FLUPs pieces a couple menu icons below the TiA stuff itself.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

It should be there (it definitely exists as I've used it before), I just checked my own install and it's in the FLUPs pieces a couple menu icons below the TiA stuff itself.

I found it in FLUPs too, however the transition piece didn't have an obvious way to reconnect to plain avenue :(

hecko posted:

It would probably be easier to make a tunnel for the sunken highway under the avenue and use simple tram-in-avenue tiles.

That might be what I end up resorting to...

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Congrats for caring about 9/11 with your imaginary train station? :psyduck:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

kinnas posted:

I come from the depths of the various sim city sites bearing gifts - here I have the best new tree controllers which only use the new prettier trees! None of this is mayor mode plopped, all god mode megabrush fire-and-forget:

Do these require hardware mode to run?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I'm not sure. They use HD assets which might mean hardware only? Maybe someone who knows the engine quirks better can confirm or deny.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

kinnas posted:

I'm not sure. They use HD assets which might mean hardware only? Maybe someone who knows the engine quirks better can confirm or deny.

HD mods requires hardware mode unless you want graphical glitches when the game tries to display them. That's why some modders provide an "SD" version of their work so software mode people can still use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'm trying to be minimalistic with my choice of mods and stick to things which fix bugs, but NAM is thwarting that. The compulsory texture mods which I don't really want are bad enough, but they can't even just provide one simulator - instead there's five or six with fussy distinctions between them.

Why is the Maxis rail texture marked "not recommended" - is this just normal "blargh vanilla = bad change everything" modder logic, or is there an actual reason? What files should I delete to prune it down from their "minimal installation" to just the traffic simulator? Which simulator should I pick if I just want to build some cities?

• Locked thread