Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

All the skill trees are silly. Its almost like RPGs let you level up and get stronger

Well, like all RPGs, that's a good thing when there are scaling challenges so that your strength doesn't eclipse everything. Alpha Protocol really doesn't have any. There's nothing you can't do (aside from some hacking minigames) without leveling up so even a little skill investment puts you way over the enemies. The only real roadblocks people encounter as bosses (if they didn't invest in a combat skill) and those are just kind of badly designed instead of offering different possible choices based on your playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I remember the late-Rome mission where you have to babysit a computer uplink while a bunch of VCI mooks bumrush you being a little hard for my stealth-specced Thornton because the bad guys were too spread out for me to throat punch them all before they got to the uplink. But that's the only time I remember having trouble with it. Alpha Protocol is not a hard game but I don't think it's really intended to be anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baby Babbeh posted:

I remember the late-Rome mission where you have to babysit a computer uplink while a bunch of VCI mooks bumrush you being a little hard for my stealth-specced Thornton because the bad guys were too spread out for me to throat punch them all before they got to the uplink. But that's the only time I remember having trouble with it. Alpha Protocol is not a hard game but I don't think it's really intended to be anyway.

You can kinda cheese it with sufficient stealth anyway :v:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Oh, of course, I was supposed to intuit that grenades work despite them hammering home the point that lancers beat tanks.

I did some reading up and apparently, the valkyrie will never leave the tank's side once she gets there, and that's why she wasn't killing me, and that is in fact how you survive the mission. Too bad this is not communicated to you at all and you actually see her moving (and probably destroying your units) on the enemy phase earlier! Ugh, just rotten design. How can a mission simultaneously be super boring yet incredibly dangereous?

Oh well, it's over now and I still can't stop playing so the game has to be pretty good.

I just got the game this weekend and was generally having a great time of it until that loving mission. Crazy magic chick murdering every one of my guys she could see was super unfun. Which of course brings up the retaliatory/reaction fire that the AI gets to abuse the gently caress out of. The game is actually pretty neat but it feels like the AI gets to cheat because it can take a bunch of reaction shots at seemingly random times. PLUS when you attack up close the AI gets at least 3 shots at you: when you're coming up to them, when they retaliate against you, and after you take your shot and the game kicks you back to character movement. Also the next mission when they start hitting you with debuff ammo that doesn't actually have to hit your guys to stick them with the debuff. Awesome fun.

Sometimes the AI shits itself and runs into your firing line but I've noticed they usually run up, take ONE shot from your guys and fire. My guys don't get any more reaction shots after the enemy shoots at them either. weeeeee.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Alpha Protocol was the best $2 I've ever spent. It likely won't be one of your top RPGs ever, but it is a very fun and unique experience that is a breath of fresh air if you are sick of the usual RPG formulas on the market.

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of Chronicles, how about that chapter 7, huh? I just beat it and god drat, what horrible design. First it's really dull for ten turns as you wait for the lumbering tank to loving do something. Then suddenly, reinforcements, and all your units begin dying while you still have to wait for the tank to do something.

I managed to pass it first try with only one casualty (RIP Hector), but it really feels like I was at the mercy of the AI there. I only passed because for some reason they chose not to kill my guys on just the right turns. And even then I had to really game the system on my turns so I didn't instantly die to the retaliating fire. It didn't feel like I won at all.

Is there a trick? Or was the trick exactly what I did, i.e. hide behind my tank, keep pumping my one lancer left alive full of ammo with a medic and fire away, hoping I don't just die on the enemy turn. I do admit it managed to instill a real feeling of hopelessness into me similar to what I imagine the soldiers were feeling though.

That's funny because that's the one I just finished. How to defeat the tank was self-explanatory to me. The problem was that with my first try the AI was being dumb as the tank wasn't shooting the wall but my tank instead. Tried the mission a second time and things worked fine. All you have to do is hide your people beyond the (non-destructible) ruin walls and have your lancers wail on the tank.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Plek posted:

I just got the game this weekend and was generally having a great time of it until that loving mission. Crazy magic chick murdering every one of my guys she could see was super unfun. Which of course brings up the retaliatory/reaction fire that the AI gets to abuse the gently caress out of. The game is actually pretty neat but it feels like the AI gets to cheat because it can take a bunch of reaction shots at seemingly random times. PLUS when you attack up close the AI gets at least 3 shots at you: when you're coming up to them, when they retaliate against you, and after you take your shot and the game kicks you back to character movement. Also the next mission when they start hitting you with debuff ammo that doesn't actually have to hit your guys to stick them with the debuff. Awesome fun.

Sometimes the AI shits itself and runs into your firing line but I've noticed they usually run up, take ONE shot from your guys and fire. My guys don't get any more reaction shots after the enemy shoots at them either. weeeeee.

This is a learned lesson, but the empire's guns suck poo poo at hitting from range. I love VC's combat because it is very much a very mobile strategy game, and here's two major gameplay tips that will drastically help you:

1) Walk, not run, up to an enemy that you aren't sneaking upon. When he starts firing, stop until he empties his clip, then run in during the reloading and then pop him. You take piddly damage at the maximum range because their guns are all about power, not range.

2) Immediately after firing your weapon, mash out back to the map when you get movement again.

These two saves a lot of chip damage over time and effectively makes enemy shocktroopers worthless that even Scouts can kill them 1v1.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Wait, you can loving walk?! I don't see any controls in the option menu. That would have made the mission where you're sneaking through the woods with mines everywhere less hectic.

Also I guess a crouched unit is considered in cover from EVERY direction, that's kinda good to know.

Plek fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 29, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crouched is basically doubling defense, which applies to both you and the enemy. This includes hiding in the grass. Annoying at first, but you get tools to easily counter that as you upgrade your Shocktroopers.

Walking is with the dpad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who's buying hyperdimension neptunia on steam tonight?

i know i am

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i know i am

i dunno if i should i already have it on vita

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Cake Attack posted:

i know i am

Seek help.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

I'm afraid therapy is non-existent in this thread. Especially for cases with weaboo fever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I am playing an obscure rear end ancient rpg

Does anyone have a program i can use to piece together maps from screenshots? it's laid out like exile and i'm trying to find hidden stuff but the reveal secret door spell is like, max level, and you can't just push against a wall once. it's random as to whether you find it. so running around wallhumping like the Doom guy is right out

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dryzen posted:

spoken like someone who isn't a real fan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't play Idea Factory games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor Goat posted:

Does anyone have a program i can use to piece together maps from screenshots? it's laid out like exile and i'm trying to find hidden stuff but the reveal secret door spell is like, max level, and you can't just push against a wall once. it's random as to whether you find it. so running around wallhumping like the Doom guy is right out

There was a mapping program used in this Wizardry 6 Let's Play (I think it costs 5 bucks though). http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i know i am

Give me all your neptunia cards.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I am going to exercise self-restraint and try to avoid yet another game on steam that I won't play. I already have 100 game backlog there...

Edit: I did buy MK2 for PS3 a while back and it was fairly bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going through some old PS2 games, the Snowblind developed Baldur's Gate and Champions games are still really good. Brotherhood of Steel got a lot of flack for just being what it is but eh, I think it's okay. The Bard's Tale was decent as well. I didn't know that Lord of the Rings game used the same engine. I heard it's a decent enough loot based hack and slash if you play it co-op.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

spoken like someone who isn't a real fan

poo poo

please give me my cred back

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Doctor Goat posted:

What game is it? I want to see if I've heard of it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't play Idea Factory games.

No one said anything about playing it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Don't give Idea Factory any money.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All I can hear is "Fire this poo poo like Bad Rats at unsuspecting victims".
Now if only it were 99 cents...

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Prism posted:

What game is it? I want to see if I've heard of it.

War Wizard. It is pleasantly powergamey and confusing as poo poo and the mechanics aren't really evident.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Doctor Goat posted:

War Wizard. It is pleasantly powergamey and confusing as poo poo and the mechanics aren't really evident.

I only know of it because it was the first game (that I know of) that Brad McQuaid the Everquest Guy worked on. I've never played it or even seen screenshots, though maybe I'll take a look sometime.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Dryzen posted:

dbl the anime dbl the fun

dbl ur love

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Japan please stop beating around the bush and give us PC ports of Disgaea games, thanks.

Mouse and keyboard is the best input device for SRPGs. I don't expect that ports would actually use them correctly, but hope is the strongest drug

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A PC port of Disgaea 1 with the Atlus English Dub would be great.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Prism posted:

I only know of it because it was the first game (that I know of) that Brad McQuaid the Everquest Guy worked on. I've never played it or even seen screenshots, though maybe I'll take a look sometime.

It's certainly an experience. Here's a thing from the manual that made me happy

quote:

It is possible to trade items between your characters via
the Trade button on the Backpack/Possessions screen (at the main
screen select Status, then the character you wish to strip of
all his possessions, um, I mean trade from, then select the
backpack icon, etc.). You may wish to use this feature quite a
bit in the beginning until your WarWizard is properly outfitted.
Just don't leave TOO many warriors naked and Abandoned! After
all, they DID join you as a friend, and besides, it isn't very
nice.

and an accurate description of the main character, the all around god war wizard, who is completely loving awful at everything and has 0 levels in anything and sucks at magic so badly i've yet to get him to cast a spell

quote:

Your old
master smiles and assures you that although you currently have
no weapons, no spells, no experience, and no allies to join you
on your quest, you have every potential to defeat the forces of
evil and bring peace to the six lands once again...

and something that is complete bullshit and isn't a game mechanic:

quote:

They will not transact with you, however, unless
at lease one character in the player's party joins the atmosphere
by having a few drinks. Upon achieving a level of intoxication,
selecting a table will bring the party into transact mode.
There, valuable companions can be met and solicited to join. In
addition to drinks, food can also be purchased in pubs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mill Village posted:

A PC port of Disgaea 1 with the Atlus English Dub would be great.

What do you mean Atlus dub, did it get another dub somewhere?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
NISA redubbed Etna for the PSP release for some reason (and also reverted the music additions/changes from the Atlus PS2 release), but other than that, no. It's nothing major really.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

It's certainly an experience. Here's a thing from the manual that made me happy

Clearly the devs were fans of basically every party based RPG in the 80s. My list of abandoned naked adventurers is pages deep.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
:v: It was the guy who designed everquest!

There are mercenaries you can hire for 480g that have over 800g of equipment on them, including a near worthless in value ring that shoots deadly lightning that I'm wearing 8 of.

Sadly, there's a limit to how much you can sell a shopkeeper before they run out of space, meaning it's almost always a good idea to throw away anything that isn't hells of powerful or cool. So you'll stuff the cases of the local shops with +3 shields and +1 swords trying to make a lot off that trick.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

NISA redubbed Etna for the PSP release for some reason (and also reverted the music additions/changes from the Atlus PS2 release), but other than that, no. It's nothing major really.

The Prinnies were also changed. The original voices for them were so much better then what NISA changed them to.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I now own Nep Rebirth because I'm a grown-rear end man and I can pretend to be a cute anime girl for 30-50 hours if I loving want to.

Also it was half price.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

I now own Nep Rebirth because I'm a grown-rear end man and I can pretend to be a cute anime girl for 30-50 hours if I loving want to.

Also it was half price.

I'm sorry.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Me too Shinji, me too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Million Ghosts posted:

You should have just bought this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274920/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dryzen posted:

poo poo

please give me my cred back