Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Much better suggestion! Do you know if the game's good? I might give it a try on Android.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mehuyael posted:

Much better suggestion! Do you know if the game's good? I might give it a try on Android.

Honestly, I played it for a while last year, and I didn't enjoy it. It's like FTL, only it's all scripted. If you enjoy FTL and how you have to adapt to pretty much everything, this isn't it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Good call

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I tried to like Star Command, but I'd already played FTL which is a much, much better game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Honestly, I played it for a while last year, and I didn't enjoy it. It's like FTL, only it's all scripted. If you enjoy FTL and how you have to adapt to pretty much everything, this isn't it.

Welp, that's too bad. Better to find out this way than first hand after giving them my :10bux: I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

Welp, that's too bad. Better to find out this way than first hand after giving them my :10bux: I guess.

Yeah, I was thankful to be able to try it on a friend's phone, and he buys anything the moment he hears about it, like the Ouya. That being said, I think I have more money than he does, and my ratio to games bought vs played is MUCH higher than his.

Like someone else said, if you've played FTL, Star Command, while it looks MUCH nicer, is definitely a step-back, only because it feels like they were trying to be FTL.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

dads_work_files posted:

Could it be Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?

Yes, that's it! Holy poo poo, you're awesome!!! :D :D :D

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Super obscure request but it's a game I played as a kid as a rental and liked, then after returning it to the store I promptly forgot the name. Here's what I know though.

1) It was on the Sega Master System.

2) Played mostly like an adventure game, i.e. find objects and use them on other objects or situations. It had some other kind of gameplay too I think, but I'm not sure.

3) You're trying to save a princess.

4) At one point you play a flute to calm a storm or maybe maelstrom.

I've gone through the whole list of SMS titles trying to figure out what it was but none of the names ring a bell.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

Super obscure request but it's a game I played as a kid as a rental and liked, then after returning it to the store I promptly forgot the name. Here's what I know though.

1) It was on the Sega Master System.

2) Played mostly like an adventure game, i.e. find objects and use them on other objects or situations. It had some other kind of gameplay too I think, but I'm not sure.

3) You're trying to save a princess.

4) At one point you play a flute to calm a storm or maybe maelstrom.

I've gone through the whole list of SMS titles trying to figure out what it was but none of the names ring a bell.

AFAIK, the only SMS games with flutes in them are Phantasy Star, Wonderboy in Monsterland, and Castle of Illusion.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SpellCaster for the Master System has you use a lute to calm a stormy sea. It's a blend of adventure and action sequences. I don't think there's a princess though.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Pablo Gigante posted:

SpellCaster for the Master System has you use a lute to calm a stormy sea. It's a blend of adventure and action sequences. I don't think there's a princess though.

Oh yeah, this is it, thanks. Goes to show how much old memories get warped I guess. Lute instead of flute, huh.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

AFAIK, the only SMS games with flutes in them are Phantasy Star, Wonderboy in Monsterland, and Castle of Illusion.

That's such an oddly specific thing to know.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.
A long time ago I played a game that was a Norse God themed, top down isometric RPG for PC. I'm pretty sure I just had a demo. I found one game that I thought might have been it but it never completely triggered my memory. I recall a glowing shield which I think had a snake on it, which was totally awesome. This is from around the 486 or maybe early Pentium era, and I probably got it from a PC Gamer demo CD.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

A long time ago I played a game that was a Norse God themed, top down isometric RPG for PC. I'm pretty sure I just had a demo. I found one game that I thought might have been it but it never completely triggered my memory. I recall a glowing shield which I think had a snake on it, which was totally awesome. This is from around the 486 or maybe early Pentium era, and I probably got it from a PC Gamer demo CD.
Heimdall?

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

I don't think it's that one. I looked through a ton of screenshots and none if it looked familiar.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Shine posted:

That's such an oddly specific thing to know.

Well, if you think about it, most Master System games are able to be finished in less than an hour as an adult. Anyone with a ROM collection and a love of the console would know a similar thing. It's not like I know the percentage of sprites in games that appear barefoot or something.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Was it an RPG, or a puzzle/adventure? Because I remember a game named Thor (I think) that fits this description.

e: nope, not called Thor. Its name was "God of Thunder"

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/god-of-thunder

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Well, if you think about it, most Master System games are able to be finished in less than an hour as an adult. Anyone with a ROM collection and a love of the console would know a similar thing. It's not like I know the percentage of sprites in games that appear barefoot or something.

I thought about it some more and it's still an oddly specific thing to know.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Was it an RPG, or a puzzle/adventure? Because I remember a game named Thor (I think) that fits this description.

e: nope, not called Thor. Its name was "God of Thunder"

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/god-of-thunder

Not this one either, and I feel like it had to be an RPG because I vaguely recall a character mannequin that you could place inventory items on.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Dusk of the Gods?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What about Ragnarok?

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

I think this is it. Has anyone played this or a demo of it?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My friends and I were talking about gradeschool and the dumb "edutainment" games they had for us to play once we finished our Type To Learn lessons.

There was one game we had that was based around ancient Greece and it's mythology. It was a sort of point and click adventure but really seemed to boil down to going to the right section in the right order to get the right tool/weapon/artifact to defeat monsters. Something like going to the Oracle at Delphi to get something to give to Poseidon so you could get his trident to use to kill the harpies to get something, etc, etc. And if you didn't have the right thing when you ran into these monsters then you died.

Each "encounter" also had like 4 options: Run, Talk, Fight, Defend or something like that. I think it may have been made by Scholastic and was on windows 98/2000 but I can't really remember what OS our school computers had. It could have also been windows 95.

All I know is that it wasn't the game "Wrath of the Gods" which all of my googling so far has pointed me to. It wasn't live action video.

We were talking about how none of us ever knew what to do because the game never really gave any instructions. I think the game was supposed to center around going to the Oracle first and getting "missions" from her and then doing a daisy chain quest to finish it up before coming back and getting another one. The whole thing being designed to teach you Greek Mythology.

I started middle school around 1999, but the school was new and really didn't put (or didn't really have) much money into the software we had. They had windows stuff and what was probably a collection of scholastic or encarta or britanica educational software collections. So I doubt the game had come out in or around '99.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I could tell you is that this was somewhere during the 2010's.

[Hazy remembrance gooooo] It's a sprite brawling kinda game and I think there was a thing about if you're fighting people sometimes the character will automatically grab stuff like pool cues and hit people with them? I think there was a thing where you could jump through windows too maybe? I think the graphics looked like Gunpoint but I'm not sure.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hotline Miami?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Caitlin posted:

Hotline Miami?

Sequel's out on the 10th! :dance:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No, it wasn't a top-down view. The game was side-long like Gunpoint.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Crain posted:

My friends and I were talking about gradeschool and the dumb "edutainment" games they had for us to play once we finished our Type To Learn lessons.

There was one game we had that was based around ancient Greece and it's mythology. It was a sort of point and click adventure but really seemed to boil down to going to the right section in the right order to get the right tool/weapon/artifact to defeat monsters. Something like going to the Oracle at Delphi to get something to give to Poseidon so you could get his trident to use to kill the harpies to get something, etc, etc. And if you didn't have the right thing when you ran into these monsters then you died.

Had a quick look around for this, but everything I've found seems to be not exactly what you're looking for.

The Myths of Olympus sounds very similar in structure, but it's too early and on the Apple II.

Labyrinth of Crete is from the right time period, but more puzzle-focused.

Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses is from 2000, but looks a bit high-end for typical school computers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Some pause music just popped into my head, and I have no idea what it's from. It's not super old, and the best way I can describe it is a 'brawler march'.

The only thing I can offer it that the last bar before it loops, for anyone musical reading this, is, in 4/4 time (and played with quarter notes), snare, kick, kick, snare. Around 140 bpm or so.

It's not Battletoads (edit: or Crazy Taxi) btw.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Some pause music just popped into my head, and I have no idea what it's from. It's not super old, and the best way I can describe it is a 'brawler march'.

The only thing I can offer it that the last bar before it loops, for anyone musical reading this, is, in 4/4 time (and played with quarter notes), snare, kick, kick, snare. Around 140 bpm or so.

It's not Battletoads (edit: or Crazy Taxi) btw.

This is going to be lots of super long shots and trickier given your profile pic :)

Other than all the usual Megaman 2 stuff like the flash man stage the Batman soundtrack seems to stick in people's heads pretty well; stage 3 in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7FB36E8099E77A7

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

impulse 7 effect posted:

This is going to be lots of super long shots and trickier given your profile pic :)

Other than all the usual Megaman 2 stuff like the flash man stage the Batman soundtrack seems to stick in people's heads pretty well; stage 3 in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7FB36E8099E77A7

I left out a very key detail: there's no melody, it's only drums.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Some sort of adventure game, isometric view.

Only remember a weird rear end scene where there's a bunch of people on a hill bowing and praying around a giant head that says something weird when you click on it.

I think the main character was in hospital scrubs or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Some sort of adventure game, isometric view.

Only remember a weird rear end scene where there's a bunch of people on a hill bowing and praying around a giant head that says something weird when you click on it.

I think the main character was in hospital scrubs or something?

Sanitarium

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Sanitarium

That's it! But where is that giant head thing?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I assume you're mis-remembering the game because frankly I can't remember a scene like that. It's probably some combination of Chapter 2 where you have to kill "mom" and the Circus of Fools.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe you played it while Zardoz was on TV

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ripley posted:

Had a quick look around for this, but everything I've found seems to be not exactly what you're looking for.

The Myths of Olympus sounds very similar in structure, but it's too early and on the Apple II.

Labyrinth of Crete is from the right time period, but more puzzle-focused.

Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses is from 2000, but looks a bit high-end for typical school computers.

Sadly no.

Maybe it was part of Encarta? I don't know if the early encarta suites had games like that. I know they had mind maze, but this wasn't that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I assume you're mis-remembering the game because frankly I can't remember a scene like that. It's probably some combination of Chapter 2 where you have to kill "mom" and the Circus of Fools.

It is the right game and I do remember that character being at this weird head worshiping scene.

So I must be crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

It is the right game and I do remember that character being at this weird head worshiping scene.

So I must be crazy.

Pretty much, I just paged through an entire longplay to jog my memory and make sure but I can't come up with anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41sXqDFkfU

• Locked thread